TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why should I get new irons?

Peter-T

Hi,

I just started playing again after almost 30 years.  I have a relatively new driver (TaylorMade r7 quad), but my irons are over 40 years old.  I regripped them but steel shafts and heads are original.

I know a lot has changed in 40  years but what am I going to gain.  As I haven't played much in the last 30 years, I am not that good.  Now that I am retired I plan to play more often.

What are the benefits of the new technology?

If I can't replace the whole set at once, where do I begin?  I don't have a fairway wood but have pretty much everything else.  I bought a used 4 hybrid earlier this year just to have one in the bag.  My putter is also 40 years old and I think I only paid $25 for it back in 1980.

Thanks.

No reason to get new irons if you don't want to.  Yes, technology has changed but doesn't mean you will hit your clubs any better.    The general benefits of new technology is that the shafts bend profile may be better for your and that you may get more forgiveness on miss hits.    

You have made some other posts about playing better and your getting back into the game.  Talk to your instructor about clubs and what he recommends. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Agree with the previous post where you don't have to get new ones of you don't want to. 

Another option could be to go to a local shop and bring your irons to hit side by side with some others. See some of the differences and maybe you'll have a answer if it is worth buying new to you irons. Another good thing to do is give s budget to whoever you're working with. This way you don't get any sticker shock. With all this being said there are lots of not too expensive good irons out there and any good shop or fitter should be able to find clubs you like that work within your budget. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Why should you get new irons?? 

Asking that here is like a lion cub asking the pride why should we eat gazelles.....Because you CAN!!!!    🤣

Just kidding!  

What irons do you currently have?  My answer will be different if you have an old set of Ping Eye's versus a set of Sam Snead Blue Ridge Korvette's specials.  

Price doesn't equate to a quality club and what you can do with it.  Each of my Cleveland wedges were bought used for less than $30.  My Ping Anser & the various Bullseye wide flange putters from teh 70's & 80's were bought used for less than $25.  I still go back to them from time to time when the new Heppler needs a time out.

As mentioned newer clubs / shafts could be fit to your swing better than your current set and get you more consistent performance.  I like the suggestion of taking your gamers to a demo day or local fitter to get some comparison data.  Pay the fitter for their time and data then take the data and look for used clubs to match up.  If you are patient you can save a good bit of $$.  Besides it's just plain fun to try new stuff! 

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

You’ve gotten really good general answers already. Really depends on what the 40 year old irons are, your budget and what you expect from newer ones. Among the 20+ guys I play with regularly, there is ZERO correlation between handicaps and club age/cost. Our best player still has 20+ yo Mizuno blades with no plan to “upgrade.” One of our worst players went to Club Champion and spent almost $5K on 14 new clubs (yes, full bag including putter fitting). He’s still trying to convince himself and others it was worthwhile - but his handicap (published weekly) has gotten worse if anything. That said, the (120g S steel) shafts I played 40 years ago would be too stiff and heavy for me today (now 90g R graphite)…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

There's going to be a big difference in forgiveness between modern irons and 40 year old ones. Also you could probably find a shaft option that fits you better than whatever is in your old clubs.

You don't need new clubs, just something new-er. Get on eBay and you'll find plenty of options of irons from the last decade for a couple hundred bucks, rather than the thousand+ a new set would run.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

The best reason to get new clubs is that you feel like it.

I have a small museum of retired sets in my basement, and the above is the only reason that I've ever had for replacing any of them.

I could put new grips on set #1 and play it right now, truth be told.

I'll get the exact same amount of fresh air and hangout time with my friends, you see, either way.

But that's why I play.  Others could feel differently.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

As someone who played PE2's for over 30 years before making an upgrade in 2018, I recommend investing in a quality fitting and seeing for yourself which of the many new offerings can add distance, accuracy, and forgiveness.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

... I will add another element. I was playing with a guy asking me about replacing his irons that were quite old and beat up with shafts that didn't suit his swing. My initial response was absolutely replace them! But I play golf about 5 times a week and he plays Saturdays and not every Saturday at that so he was lamenting the cost of new clubs. $1300 for irons averaged over a year with around 250 rounds is not as big an expense as the original price tag would have me think. That's about $5 a round for a year of golf. Playing 3 times a month or 36 times a year the cost is now $36 a round. So quite a difference. If I had to pay an extra $36 on top of my greens fee every round for a year it might, might give me pause. 

... So factoring in how many rounds you play may have an impact on buying new clubs. Some may certainly think playing 36 times a year they want the best clubs possible while others may think it isn't worth the additional money. That said this is a golf equipment forum and we all like the idea of playing the best tools we can and cost doesn't enter into it as much as other things in our lives. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

10 minutes ago, chisag said:

he was lamenting the cost of new clubs. $1300 for irons averaged over a year with around 250 rounds is not as big an expense as the original price tag would have me think. 

Yep,  the cost of new clubs can be high; but you can also get some great deals on lightly used clubs or if you want new DTC brands like Sub70 are great options.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

27 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yep,  the cost of new clubs can be high; but you can also get some great deals on lightly used clubs or if you want new DTC brands like Sub70 are great options.

... Of course, there is also Certified pre owned, classifieds, etc. But the top of the line OEM are crazy expensive for the 4 - pw:

Ping i59 ... $1749

P790 ... $1300

T100/200's ... $1300

King Tour ... $1300

JPX921 Tour ... $1300

Apex 21 ... $1300

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Of course, there is also Certified pre owned, classifieds, etc. But the top of the line OEM are crazy expensive for the 4 - pw:

Ping i59 ... $1749

P790 ... $1300

T100/200's ... $1300

King Tour ... $1300

JPX921 Tour ... $1300

Apex 21 ... $1300

Wasn't disagreeing that they are crazy expensive.   For someone that really isn't that into golf I wouldn't recommend new clubs but some people like that new club feel.  

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Wasn't disagreeing that they are crazy expensive.   For someone that really isn't that into golf I wouldn't recommend new clubs but some people like that new club feel.  

... Just throwing stuff out there. This guy was very serious just busy working and could not get out as much as he would like but was gonna get fit and buy whatever the fitter recommended. But you know how clubs go, one guy will buy the newest most expensive PXG irons or new Mizuno only and the next guy won't buy anything he can't find for $100 at a garage sale. And of course everything in-between. 

That the irons are 40 years old and you are retired, I doubt you are under 60. All else equal, you could use the same irons. But your body is not equal to the task. Hey, I’m 71 and not knocking you. Just a fact of life. 
Your options run from used clubs on line to PXG 0211 to full custom set built by custom shops, as Club Champion is one example. I’d work with a local fitter and either buy new that way or pay for the fitting and try to match it from used resellers. You want to get matched to a head and shaft that suits your game. The R7 is a good driver but in 5 strokes Trackman can suggest if it is close to optimal. Reshaping that may not make economic sense. Lots of well depreciated drivers are available. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

A new or newer set can help with limiting your miss and possibly give you some added distance. Plus a newer set, the look good, feel good analogy?🤷🏼‍♂️

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I had a very similar dilemma when I started up again last spring after a 25-30 year hiatus. I was playing a set of original Armour 845s (3-PW), and picked up a set of Taylormade 4-PW Speedblades from a friend of a friend that are around 8 years old for under $300. The new clubs have stronger lofts, but are much more forgiving on off-center hits, longer and hold greens as well or better than the old ones. FYI, I'm 63, but still fairly strong and flexible due to doing a ton of yoga for the past 20+ years. When I hit the Armours just right the results feel more satisfying, but that doesn't happen all that often at my skill level.

FWIW, both sets are steel shaft regulars, and the Taylormades are a little heavier swing weight.

Having said all that, the difference isn't as extreme as when I changed out my first generation metalwood driver for a couple of years old Calloway epic flash. That added 50+ yards to my drives and keeps more of them in the fairway.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex

I've been playing Mizuno MP20's for about 2 years now and absolutely love the feel/look of the clubs.  My only complaint having gone through a pretty good season of tournaments with them, I'm tired of getting punished by distance lost if I don't hit the club pure every time.   That being said, having tested a wide range of brands side by side I've come to conclusion that most of the latest and greatest out there, they all feel really good.  I could use a little more forgiveness now and then along with benefiting from a slightly hotter face/club.  I recently tried the new P790, a club I never ever thought I'd remotely be interested in whatsoever.   Even my pro said forget it.   After hitting them I could not believe the distance gains, forgiveness and feel of them.   I even went so far to try PXG Gen 4 0311, a club/brand I just couldn't see moving to coming off of Mizuno.   I was shocked at how well, far I was hitting them and loved the feel as well.   I'm now contemplating a step down move.   Perhaps P790 in 5-7 irons, P7 MC's in 8-PW as a combo if doable.   Lots of options to consider and tinker with during my "offseason" here in Northeast.   I've come to accept the fact as I'm getting older (yet still maintaining my single digit hcp) going with more forgiveness and hotter faces is not a bad thing.  Its all about getting ball in hole with less strokes.   I think the hardest most challenging thing is going to be the rest of my bag now.   Already some manufacturers are starting to throw out teasers on the 2022 releases and the tech coming out looks sick across the board.   Utility woods like Callaway has are throwing a wrench in things on how to now use them and properly gap the bag.   Fairway woods as well.    Callaway about to release new Rogue line which been told is super hot.   Isn't it nice we have the tech available to us to use.  I will certainly try the new 221's to compare look, feel, gains if any.   Its going to be really hard to pass my MP20's to someone else but the tech thats out there now is just so good, its hard to ignore how one's game could improve with a little added help.

Edited by in4par

Interesting point made by chisag earlier. My $1400 JPX900 Forged irons, with over 300 rounds played, have cost me less than $5 per round so far, and I’ll probably keep them another couple years at least. So I wouldn’t feel bad about spending to get what I really want since they don’t cost that much in the larger scheme of things. I’d rather get exactly what I want, and always have, and keep them longer versus trading often for the latest thing. I’ve yet to have new clubs improve my scores over 57 years.  YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Thanks everyone.

I wasn't expecting this much help.  I certainly don't swing like I did in my twenties but Id do still drink like I did.  With that said, the clubs I have are an off the shelf MacGreagor set.  They weren't great clubs when I bought them but were what I could afford.  Come spring I'll shop around for something more appropriate for my swing and budget.  Thanks for the input.

I would go through the club fitting now and then you know what to look for over the winter.  Since you won't be in a hurry you can get used to the 'normal' price range for appropriate iron set and look for good deals.  Every couple days do a quick search on the bay and in the classifieds of some of the popular forums to see if something interesting pops up.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 11/26/2021 at 10:57 PM, Riverboat said:

Your clubs with your swing. That is certainly not evidence that others would see the same results. I'm not saying they wouldn't, but your presumed assumption that they would is exactly that, extremely presumptuous. 

Sorry I should have added 🙂

"Individual  Results  may  vary,  and  testimonials  are  not claimed  to  represent  typical  results.  All  testimonials  are real participants , and  may  not  reflect  the  typical individual golfers experience,  and  are  not  intended  to represent  or  guarantee  that  anyone  will  achieve  the  same or  similar  results.  Every  person  has  unique  experiences, golfing habits, exercise  habits,  eating  habits,  and  applies  the  information in  a  different  way.  Thus,  the  experiences  that  we  share from  other  people  may  not  reflect  the  typical  users' experience.  I am not a coaching service  that  provides  general  healthy  living  information. This  is  not  a  substitute  for  medical  advice.  Please  consult a  physician  before  beginning any golf, exercise or diet program."

Shaft technology is big reason why good players hit drives 50 yards longer now.  Ball tech is also a big advance, and, hey, a new box of balls costs less than a box of shafts.  Club heads are more advanced too, but not as much as shafts.  A new shaft on a 20 or 30 yr old head might surprise you.  Get shaft fitted.  Way better torque control on even modest price shafts. 

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

6 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Shaft technology is big reason why good players hit drives 50 yards longer now.  Ball tech is also a big advance, and, hey, a new box of balls costs less than a box of shafts.  Club heads are more advanced too, but not as much as shafts.  A new shaft on a 20 or 30 yr old head might surprise you.  Get shaft fitted.  Way better torque control on even modest price shafts. 

Cost analysis still says to get fitted for a new set. It would be pretty cool if someone out a shaft adapater in an old club head to let you mix and match what might work with the current heads but it’s likely a pipe dream. Unless you are going to build the clubs yourself it’s another cost to add in. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 11/25/2021 at 11:13 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

There's going to be a big difference in forgiveness between modern irons and 40 year old ones. Also you could probably find a shaft option that fits you better than whatever is in your old clubs.

You don't need new clubs, just something new-er. Get on eBay and you'll find plenty of options of irons from the last decade for a couple hundred bucks, rather than the thousand+ a new set would run.

I for one am not a fan of purchasing clubs off eBay.  A lot of fake clubs are on there and yes you can save hundreds of dollars but buyer beware.  I prefer to purchase from dealers and know that I am getting a quality set and the manufacturer will stand behind the clubs.  Just my two cents worth.  What you purchase off eBay is yours, good bad or indifferent and you have no guarantees.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I am a Professional Clubfitter (I’ve been one for 30+ years) and I do hundreds of clubfitting sessions each year.  I can definitely attest to the fact that every aspect of golf equipment design has improved dramatically (maybe even exponentially) over the past couple of decades.  Improvements over the last 4 or 5 years are not nearly as dramatic as they were in the preceding decade, but the advent of hollow-bodied or foam-injected iron heads has been a major step forward in the past few years, as has the trend toward lower COGs in most iron designs.

One week ago today, I did a full-bag fitting for a very good young (early 30s) golfer who currently plays to a 6 handicap, but was a scratch player in college and his early 20s — the work world and his fairly rapid career progression has eaten heavily into his golf playing and practicing time.  He is still playing with forged blade irons that were designed at least 8 to 10 years ago, and besides the fact that the faces are getting “cupped” with grooves really worn-down, they are far from ideal for him and his current limited-practice game.  He plays a Titleist driver and hybrids (no fairway wood in his bag, and he really doesn’t need one) that are 3 to 4 years old, but his irons are about twice that old — or more!  I recommended that he consider a set of Srixon ZX7 irons, or better yet a mixed set of ZX5 longer irons (at least the 5 and 6 irons with no 4-iron in his set) and ZX7 short irons.  I also had him hitting a set of the Tour Edge Exotics C721 foam-injected better-player irons, and he was not only killing them, he hit dead-straight to slight-fade lasers on every shot.  I’m guessing that with either of these sets (Srixon or TEE C721s), he could cut his handicap index in half thanks to the more user-friendly designs alone.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

@Golfspy_CG2 and I should not answer the main question in this thread 😂

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

I am a Professional Clubfitter (I’ve been one for 30+ years) and I do hundreds of clubfitting sessions each year.  I can definitely attest to the fact that every aspect of golf equipment design has improved dramatically (maybe even exponentially) over the past couple of decades.  Improvements over the last 4 or 5 years are not nearly as dramatic as they were in the preceding decade, but the advent of hollow-bodied or foam-injected iron heads has been a major step forward in the past few years, as has the trend toward lower COGs in most iron designs.

One week ago today, I did a full-bag fitting for a very good young (early 30s) golfer who currently plays to a 6 handicap, but was a scratch player in college and his early 20s — the work world and his fairly rapid career progression has eaten heavily into his golf playing and practicing time.  He is still playing with forged blade irons that were designed at least 8 to 10 years ago, and besides the fact that the faces are getting “cupped” with grooves really worn-down, they are far from ideal for him and his current limited-practice game.  He plays a Titleist driver and hybrids (no fairway wood in his bag, and he really doesn’t need one) that are 3 to 4 years old, but his irons are about twice that old — or more!  I recommended that he consider a set of Srixon ZX7 irons, or better yet a mixed set of ZX5 longer irons (at least the 5 and 6 irons with no 4-iron in his set) and ZX7 short irons.  I also had him hitting a set of the Tour Edge Exotics C721 foam-injected better-player irons, and he was not only killing them, he hit dead-straight to slight-fade lasers on every shot.  I’m guessing that with either of these sets (Srixon or TEE C721s), he could cut his handicap index in half thanks to the more user-friendly designs alone.

You describe some technological changes in irons like foam injected hollow bodies and moving around weighting.  You describe a blade iron set that was past its days due to how long they had been played.   You replaced those blades with more forgiving type iron and say todays irons are better than irons from 10-20 years ago.  What makes new irons better than irons that were in a comparable class from 10-20 years ago like a Mizuno MP-60 from 2006ish.   This is something that I have always struggled with;  I just don't see significant performance improvements from irons.  

On 11/29/2021 at 7:22 PM, cnosil said:

You describe some technological changes in irons like foam injected hollow bodies and moving around weighting.  You describe a blade iron set that was past its days due to how long they had been played.   You replaced those blades with more forgiving type iron and say todays irons are better than irons from 10-20 years ago.  What makes new irons better than irons that were in a comparable class from 10-20 years ago like a Mizuno MP-60 from 2006ish.   This is something that I have always struggled with;  I just don't see significant performance improvements from irons.  

There are a multitude of features that make today's irons easier to hit (and easier to hit straight) than irons that were manufactured even ten years ago.  Those foam-injected hollow bodies and the increased low-and-back weighting are among those features, and they make even some irons that look an awful lot like blades, or at the least like better-player's irons, more forgiving than some so-called "game improvement" irons of only a decade or so back.

If you don't see significant performance improvements with the TM P790 (and even P770), Tour Edge Exotics C721 and E721, and virtually every PXG iron that has ever been made, then there is nothing that I can say to convince you.  Believe me, as a clubfitter, I see tremendous improvements in these, and many other, modern irons.

Doug

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!