Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Why should I get new irons?

Peter-T

I was just posting in another topic and thought I should look to see if there was a thread on "used clubs" - and here it is!

I was a PGA Pro for about 25 years selling all the things that Pro Shops normally carry, and I always got myself a new set of everything each new season, with the possible exception of putters.  Those I got more often than 1 per year.

I semi-retired and starting doing demo/fitting days for four of the major companies, which I enjoyed tremendously and got nice discounts or free equipment for those 5 or so years.

Now, I am fully retired, completely out of the golf business and have to pay for my clubs and memberships.  I would kill me to pay retail price for any of the new equipment.  Since I still have my inclination to constantly test different clubs, I am forced to shop eBay and other similar sites to find clubs to try.

If I can find used clubs that are a season or two old that I have not tried, I get them.  Instead of $800-$1000/set of irons, I can get a set down under $450.  And, I've learned to stick with certain brands and types of clubs.  PING is always a brand that I can count on to be a good value.  Forged clubs are usually something to avoid because they seem to wear faster.

Just recently, I found a set of PXG 0211's 5-W with SteelFiber shafts for $430.00 and they are really quite excellent.  They do everything I want an iron to do - forgiving, consistent distance, height, proper spin and durability.  They are absolutely incredible.  PXG clubs seem to have a polarizing effect on people's opinions, like Stack & Tilt did, but I am becoming a fan.

Because of that, I decided to take a shot on a PXG 0811x Gen2 10.5* 44"driver with the EvenFlow shaft for $150.00, which came in looking brand new.  I new I would have to replace the grip and thought I could add an inch to it if needed.  I used it for two or three rounds before doing anything to it. I experimented with the loft at one setting lower (-.75* = 9.75*) and the flight was pretty low and hot.  I returned it to the standard loft of 10.5* and played more holes with it.  I noticed that there was a knuckling of the ball flight, so I recently added .75* to make it 11.25* and it really made a big difference.  This ball launches better and really goes when it lands.  Next time, I'll change the loft to 12* and see what I get.  I still haven't changed the 44" length.

In summary, I am so happy with these used clubs.  There's no way the newer models could be enough better to justify new club prices.

I hope I love these acquisitions until I drop down another shaft-flex.😀😀😀

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2021 at 6:04 PM, WiTerp50 said:

That the irons are 40 years old and you are retired, I doubt you are under 60. All else equal, you could use the same irons. But your body is not equal to the task. Hey, I’m 71 and not knocking you. Just a fact of life. 

Agree.  The clubs may be fine, but may be too heavy for the OP.  I am 66 and over time I have "regained" distance by moving to clubs that are more fit for my current swing speed.

Also, over time, have moved from longer irons to hybrids and soon to a 7 wood.  Again, it isn't the clubs.  It is me.  But, I want clubs to fit what I can still do.

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

2 hours ago, HAC said:

Agree.  The clubs may be fine, but may be too heavy for the OP.  I am 66 and over time I have "regained" distance by moving to clubs that are more fit for my current swing speed.

Also, over time, have moved from longer irons to hybrids and soon to a 7 wood.  Again, it isn't the clubs.  It is me.  But, I want clubs to fit what I can still do.

As I age, I find that the technological advances don't necessarily help my game as much as they help me maintain the quality of my game.  By that, I mean that things like my driver distance stay the same rather than fade with age. 

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter