Why should I get new irons?

Peter-T

I find this to be an interesting thread.  I have had my current irons since April 2018, and while I cannot justify replacing them,  I do 'lust' after some new ones.  I have tried telling my wife that I would play so much better if I spent a lot more $money, but she is not buying into that LOL!

• Like 3
  • Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Shot Scope  shotscope2.png.4c66bd90c08eff900bc26d9dd7981c61.png V3

3 hours ago, Paul Hedrick said:

I find this to be an interesting thread.  I have had my current irons since April 2018, and while I cannot justify replacing them,  I do 'lust' after some new ones.  I have tried telling my wife that I would play so much better if I spent a lot more $money, but she is not buying into that LOL!

2018 wasn't very long ago, Paul. 

I did get new irons this year, but my last ones were bought in 2009.

The times before that?

1997, and it was 1984, I'm pretty sure, before that.

And if we're being very honest, I wish that I could play as well as I did in 1984!

I still have the 1984 irons as well as all the others, but trying to play them doesn't turn back the clock, unfortunately.

But I do hear you.  Wives usually have a pretty influential position on the family budget committee.

• Like 2

I currently play JPX900 forged with PX LZ 6.0 steel shafts. 

I notice a toe mishit with these irons does not cost as much distance as with the TC Forged which were more forgiving than the Palmers.  The JPX900's improved my distance over the TC's which is mostly due to stronger lofts but also probably due to design.  However I am about a club shorter now than I was with the Palmers way back when even with todays jacked lofts.  So there is something to be said about youth, strength & flexibility factoring into the equation when deciding on new clubs.

The workability of shots is the reverse with the JPX900's harder to move either direction than the TC's which were harder to work than the Palmers.  Quite a bit of the lack of workability is (again) a decrease in strength in my hands, wrists and forearms but some is attributable to the club design.

I have played the JPX900's for 2 seasons and improved my 'cap by 3 or 4 shots in that time.  I also upgraded the driver and putter in that time period and rehabbed my body a bit so improvement isn't all equipment related.  Prior set was Tour Cavity Forged (Wishon design) from early 1990's with various shafts over the years.  Those replaced a set of Palmer First Flight blades from about 1979 with DG x100 shafts and at that time I was maybe a 1 or 2 'cap.  My 'cap gradually rose over the years to an 8 or 9 about 3 years ago. 

About then I was getting frustrated with the scoring slide and wasn't having fun playing and decided to go through an equipment upgrade and workout / stretching program to see if I could get back to what I considered fun golf scores.  After a couple months of the workouts I started with a fitting and landed the irons first, then a driver.  I'm hanging around a 4-5 'cap these days and that is in the fun range for me.  

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

10 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I notice a toe mishit with these irons does not cost as much distance as with the TC Forged which were more forgiving than the Palmers.  The JPX900's improved my distance over the TC's which is mostly due to stronger lofts but also probably due to design.  However I am about a club shorter now than I was with the Palmers way back when even with todays jacked lofts.  So there is something to be said about youth, strength & flexibility factoring into the equation when deciding on new clubs.

... Yup, so many factors involved in finding the right irons. The most interesting aspect about todays irons vs irons from the past is distance pretty much maxed out years ago, which is one of the reasons for jacked lofts. There are other design factors involved so it isn't as simple as just being longer but distance is a factor. OEMs began focusing on individual tendencies. Muscle back blades could move the cg a little higher or lower as well as moving it closer to the center instead of the heel. Simple perimeter weighting made shots hit off the sweet spot more forgiving with less loss in distance and accuracy. But current irons can increase and decrease spin, produce more or less trajectory and fine tune shots for where you miss the center. It is possible to figure this all out on your own if you are an equipment aficionado but much easier to diagnose during a fitting. Qualified fitters can certainly attest to many coming into the fitting with a specific iron in mind only to find it is not as good a fit as another iron that is designed to maximize their personal tendencies. 

• Like 1

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

On 11/24/2021 at 5:07 PM, Peter-T said:

Hi,

I just started playing again after almost 30 years.  I have a relatively new driver (TaylorMade r7 quad), but my irons are over 40 years old.  I regripped them but steel shafts and heads are original.

I know a lot has changed in 40  years but what am I going to gain.  As I haven't played much in the last 30 years, I am not that good.  Now that I am retired I plan to play more often.

What are the benefits of the new technology?

If I can't replace the whole set at once, where do I begin?  I don't have a fairway wood but have pretty much everything else.  I bought a used 4 hybrid earlier this year just to have one in the bag.  My putter is also 40 years old and I think I only paid $25 for it back in 1980.

Thanks.

I’m gonna circle back to the original post for a second.  Why should you get new irons? Because you deserve them and they’ll make you happy.  The benefits are you’ll get more distance, forgiveness, and a more fulfilling life.  Mic drop….

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 hybrid
  • :cobra-small: F9 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX2 Wedges 52/58
  • :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 4 chipper
  • :taylormade-small: Ardmore 2 putter
  • :titleist-small: ProV1 balls
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes

On 11/26/2021 at 4:19 PM, Riverboat said:

Absolutely. Irons don't have to cost 1300. You can get pxg 0211s, with fitting, for half that., and they are fantastic clubs. 

And if you are a Vet, you get significant discounts making new irons very affordable plus the forgiveness that your 40 yr old clubs do not have.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.pngPXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.pngPXG 0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50*/54*/58*) w/DG Spinner wedge shafts 

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

On 12/4/2021 at 5:11 AM, Kenny B said:

With a Macgregor avatar, don't tell me you replaced Macgregor irons with PXGs!!  😱

If Macgregor still made clubs like they did 20 years ago I'd be all over them!

V-Foil VIP 1025 CM's Forged, S300 shafts, Cavity Back's 3-6, Pure Blades 7-PW +GW, SW & LW!!! BEST IRONS I HAVE EVER USED!! 

Schools out on the PXG 0211's,  good so far, but not 100% sure.... Still keep going back to my Cleveland CG1 Tour Irons.

Form Forged Japan Spec, 6-PW, DG S300... narrow sole  low bounce minimal offset - Almost as good as the Macs!!!

• Like 1

"They called it golf because all of the other four letter words were used" Raymond Floyd

On 12/4/2021 at 1:03 PM, chisag said:

... Yup, so many factors involved in finding the right irons. The most interesting aspect about todays irons vs irons from the past is distance pretty much maxed out years ago, which is one of the reasons for jacked lofts. There are other design factors involved so it isn't as simple as just being longer but distance is a factor. OEMs began focusing on individual tendencies. Muscle back blades could move the cg a little higher or lower as well as moving it closer to the center instead of the heel. Simple perimeter weighting made shots hit off the sweet spot more forgiving with less loss in distance and accuracy. But current irons can increase and decrease spin, produce more or less trajectory and fine tune shots for where you miss the center. It is possible to figure this all out on your own if you are an equipment aficionado but much easier to diagnose during a fitting. Qualified fitters can certainly attest to many coming into the fitting with a specific iron in mind only to find it is not as good a fit as another iron that is designed to maximize their personal tendencies. 

chisag has taken us deep into the weeds with interesting but technical  considerations on iron choice.

As a   "plus" capper, he's an expert and I'm clearly not.   Let's get that clear right away.

My method in choosing my new irons was so much more simple.   As I reveal it, please remember all the while that I have a 1990s flip phone and have never sent a text message or taken a picture with a telephone. That's where I am with technology.   And my primary phone is a land line.  Ready?

First, I eliminated every model with a nine iron stronger than 42º.   

That was so I could have an overall set configuration in a familiar format with which I was comfortable.

That left me with a lot of pure blades with no GI features at all so I eliminated them as well.

That in turn left me essentially with Titleist T100s, Mizuno JPX 921 Tours, Hogan PTx Pros, and Wilson Staff CBs.

Callaway Apex Pro came in at a 41º 9-iron.    Bye bye, Callaway.

Then I looked at what those manufacturers offered for shaft and grip options.

Deep breath and on to wedges.

Then I looked for who could give me wedges at 48-54-60 to synch with a 42º 9-iron,

and which manufacturer offered those lofts that I just mentioned with the lowest bounce angles.

Then I looked at the shaft and grip options offered by the wedge manufacturers.

Then I matched irons and wedges

by the ability to get the same shafts and grips on both the numbered irons and the wedges.

All of this could be done without so much as seeing a golf club in person and touching it,

never mind going near a launch monitor / simulator.

For my purposes as a player just coming back up to a two figure cap due to my age and physical condition,

and who never even sniffed a "plus" cap,

this method works perfectly.

Everything one degree flat with R-flex graphite and a wrap-type grip and there you have it--I'm good to go.

Try it at your own risk.   I have a feeling that chisag won't, right chi?

Actor dude can play.

On 12/5/2021 at 2:04 AM, MacMan said:

V-Foil VIP 1025 CM's Forged, S300 shafts, Cavity Back's 3-6, Pure Blades 7-PW +GW, SW & LW!!! BEST IRONS I HAVE EVER USED!! 

Schools out on the PXG 0211's,  good so far, but not 100% sure.... Still keep going back to my Cleveland CG1 Tour Irons.

Form Forged Japan Spec, 6-PW, DG S300... narrow sole  low bounce minimal offset - Almost as good as the Macs!!!

One wonders if it would be worth it to MacMan and Stu to have vintage Mac irons completely rebuilt by somebody like The Iron Factory.  It would be at least as as expensive as buying something brand new, but it would be getting them gear that they really liked.  Repaired and welded.  Re-grooved.  Re-chromed.  Re-paint filled.  Re-shafted and gripped.  Re-swingweighted.

Edited by BostonSal
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 11:04 PM, MacMan said:

2 hours ago, BostonSal said:

One wonders if it would be worth it to MacMan and Stu to have vintage Mac irons completely rebuilt by somebody like The Iron Factory.  It would be at least as as expensive as buying something brand new, but it would be getting them gear that they really liked.  Repaired and welded.  Re-grooved.  Re-chromed.  Re-paint filled.  Re-shafted and gripped.  Re-swingweighted.

Sal makes a good point.  I've been playing my Mac VIP 1025M irons for the past month.  I'd forgotten how good they feel.  However, since I can't handle the S300 shafts anymore, I reshafted them with Nippon N.S. Pro Zelos 8 regular flex, adjusted the lie 2º flat, and strengthened the loft by 2º which made the PW 46º and 9i 41º (sorry Sal).  

They are still in pretty good shape, but one of these days I think I'd like to have them completely refinished.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 12:31 AM, BostonSal said:

Hey BostonSal, good point in terms of getting VIPs refinished  but the cost of doing it the UK is crazy! If I could find an OK set I may consider it. But since trying Cleveland CG1 Tour irons, also with S300 shafts I'm gonna stick with them. Uncannily accurate for dispersion, superb distance control. Form Forged feel almost as good as the VIPs. Surprisingly forgiving for Muscle Back Blade? 

Look nice too!!!

"They called it golf because all of the other four letter words were used" Raymond Floyd

On 11/25/2021 at 7:56 AM, Shapotomous said:

Why should you get new irons?? 

Asking that here is like a lion cub asking the pride why should we eat gazelles.....Because you CAN!!!!    🤣

Just kidding!  

What irons do you currently have?  My answer will be different if you have an old set of Ping Eye's versus a set of Sam Snead Blue Ridge Korvette's specials.  

Price doesn't equate to a quality club and what you can do with it.  Each of my Cleveland wedges were bought used for less than $30.  My Ping Anser & the various Bullseye wide flange putters from teh 70's & 80's were bought used for less than $25.  I still go back to them from time to time when the new Heppler needs a time out.

As mentioned newer clubs / shafts could be fit to your swing better than your current set and get you more consistent performance.  I like the suggestion of taking your gamers to a demo day or local fitter to get some comparison data.  Pay the fitter for their time and data then take the data and look for used clubs to match up.  If you are patient you can save a good bit of $$.  Besides it's just plain fun to try new stuff! 

Wow a Korvettes reference! That’s truly epic

Few people need new irons yet they

sell thousands every year lol

Edited by Deepred

11 minutes ago, Deepred said:

Few people need new irons yet they

sell thousands every year lol

... I plead Guilty your honor.  I needed new irons when I played my first set, Spalding Executives with soles the size of a skateboard. Then I needed new irons after playing Tiger Shark Great White irons with a scalloped sole and a cavity you could grill burgers on. The roughly 50 or so sets I have played since then were not needed, only desired. 🤪

• Like 2

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

One Christmas my best friends parents bought him and his two brothers complete sets of Executives. I remember the heads flying off a few of them.

Edited by Deepred
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2021 at 2:07 PM, Peter-T said:

Hi,

I just started playing again after almost 30 years.  I have a relatively new driver (TaylorMade r7 quad), but my irons are over 40 years old.  I regripped them but steel shafts and heads are original.

I know a lot has changed in 40  years but what am I going to gain.  As I haven't played much in the last 30 years, I am not that good.  Now that I am retired I plan to play more often.

If I can't replace the whole set at once, where do I begin?  I don't have a fairway wood but have pretty much everything else.  I bought a used 4 hybrid earlier this year just to have one in the bag.  My putter is also 40 years old and I think I only paid $25 for it back in 1980.

Thanks.

I started back recently after a 20 year absence.  Had Ping Eye 2's that had all rusted shafts.  So I went to Roger Dunn & got 2nd hand irons.  Honma Beres 07 2 star set (6-11, AW , SW).  Shafts are Nippon 750GH wrap tech.  Best thing I ever did.  The new irons rekindled my interest in clubs again.  Plus with the jacked lofts it feels that I am hitting further than ever.  Granted the Honma's  are 7-8* stronger.  But it is great hitting new clubs.  So by all means get new ones to inspire your journey.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Blue 55 R

Callaway 4+ Wood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 65 R

Callaway 5 Wood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 55 R

Callaway Heavenwood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 55 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 3 (19*) - SteelFiber i95 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4 (22*) - SteelFiber i95 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 5 (25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

• 3 weeks later...

Your post caught my eye as I was at the same point a few months ago.  I had just retired at 58 and had not played golf seriously for 25 years.  I was still using some older Wilson Staff Dyna Power blades that were given to me in high school.  I still hit them well but have lost distance.  So my plan was to buy a new set after spending a lot of time and research and a club fitting.  But after significant thought, I decided I did not want to make the move to new and a fitting until my game stabilized.  I needed to shake off 25 years of rust in my game.  I was concerned any choice I made for new irons would possibly be wasted as my game changed and improved.  So I researched enough to decide a general club type and looked for used sets. You can find much out there at places like rock bottom golf, 2nd swing, among others.  I came across a good deal and bought a set of Titleist 718 AP2 irons in very good condition for just over $500.  I plan to use them to get my game closer to where it needs to be and then look at a fitting and new clubs.  I have found that I gained about 15 yards on a 7 iron by doing this with some degree of more forgiveness.  I suggest you consider the used route for a while so you can make a better decision before spending over $1300 on new ones.

Used irons can be a great way to get a modern set of irons without the high price tag. I just picked up a 3-pw taylormade iron set, excellent condition, with the steel shafts I play, and grips in really good condition. $205 to my door.

Get new irons because you feel they will further add to your enjoyment of the game. 

At 57 years old, I had my first fitting and new set of irons last season. A gift certificate for a fitting, part of which got credited to the price of new clubs helped seal the deal.  Up to then, I had gotten by quite well by occasionally buying used irons and saving the money.  That can be a reasonable solution.

I ended up with Mizuno 921 Hot Metal irons and I am very happy.  I am still adjusting to the increased distance.  I was over a lot of greens in the second half of the season!

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max Driver, 9*, Project X HZRDUS Smoke 50g

:callaway-small: Epic Max 3-wood,  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

:Sub70:       286 Forged Wedges, 52* and 56*

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

• 3 weeks later...

One thought I would add to the already great responses on this post is the fact that new clubs MAY cause you to want to practice and play more, therefore the cost benefit analysis might change. I know when I got a new putter I was at the practice green every other day for the first year I had it. For me it created some excitement and motivation to play the game more. Depending on your personality this may or may not happen to you, but something to think about.

• Like 2

Avid recreational golfer with a 9 handicap, looking to make major equipment upgrades this year

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra S2 3-Wood 15° with Fujikura Regular flex 65g shaft

Founders Club Hybrids (3 & 4) and Irons (5-PW) with Regular shaft

Cleveland Golf - Wikipedia          50° and 56° CG14 with Zip Groves and 8° & 11° bounce with Wedge Flex shaft

60° REG.588 Tour Action with Wedge Flex shaft

Home - TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Ghost TM 110 Putter 34"

undecided | DevpostUndecided on what Golf Ball to use this year

On 11/24/2021 at 2:07 PM, Peter-T said:

Hi,

Thanks.

Original question, “why should I get new irons”

answer… because your 40 year old clubs stink. Heads and shafts. They stink.

everything has changed in 40 years. The r7 driver is old too. Relatively speaking.

you didn’t specify finances. Are you rich or poor? Do you have a problem dropping $3k? Or would you rather keep it around $500? Or $50?

where to begin? Depends… what’s your golf goal? Are you/ were you any good? Did you shoot 90’s? 70’s? How often are you planning on playing?

you’ve got 4 pages of A to Z, of speculation…

give us some specifics about what you want to achieve, and what kind of dough you don’t mind spending. Otherwise you’re gunna get more of the same

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 5-AW

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (second best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes