Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Improvement tips for a duffer

Peter-T

Hi,

I have been out of the game for some time.  I recently retired and have been playing more.  I took a lesson mid-summer and made some adjustments.  I am just inconsistent and need to practice more.  Any suggestions on how to improve my overall game besides playing on a course? 

When at the range, is it better to work on my swing with a variety of clubs or try to master one part of the game at a time?  I know all aspects are important but fixing one thing at a time should still improve my overall performance.  For example, on average I shoot an 8 on medium length par 4.  Maybe 4 to get on and 4 putt.  Where is the best place to try and cut out a stroke?  Getting more distance off the tee, improving the fairway shots, working around the green, putting?  I guess my question is, where should I spend the bulk of my time when practicing?

First thing to do is to determine where the issues lie and for that you really need to get more lessons. In general I would recommend 2-3 lessons over a 8-12 week period. Once you have had the first lesson hopefully the pro will give you some points or drills to work on which you can do at the range and on course. 

My wife for example ended up having 5 lessons over 4 month. In the first the pro identified the issues in her swing and started the process to resolve them, the over the next two lessons he slowly added more drills till she had a reasonable swing. Lesson 4 was around putting, and lesson 5 was similar to lesson 1  where he reviewed her new swing and provided feedback on what to do next. She now get a lesson when she feels she is slipping back or when she identifies an area that needs improving.   

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

It's always tough for anyone to give advice especially to a new member. We don't  know where you live, what your average score is, where you struggle the most. Based on your example of making an 8 on a par 4 and 4 of those strokes are putting that is where I would suggest you start.

If you live in a warmer climate where you can still get out and play. Go to the practice green. Pick a hole and start at 2 feet away. Once you can 2 putt for the most part keep moving back until you get to about 12 feet. Then you can move on to chipping, then pitching. The short game will save you the most strokes. Then over time keep working yourself backwards through the clubs until you reach the driver.

If you live in a colder climate you can still work on your putting in the house over the winter. You can pick up an 8 or 10 foot practice putting mat between $50 and $100. Makes a good Christmas present for someone to give you.

Good luck on your journey and welcome aboard and back to the game.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Lot to digest and there’s a lot that cause your score on a medium length par 4. Fixing your swing will help reduce some of the strokes that take you 4 to get on. Working on short game will help get the ball closer to the hole and reduce the number of putts. Working on putting will also help reduce the number of putts.

As for the range there are lots of ways to skin a cat. In general you should be spent working on drills and some working on regular golf shots along with short game.

The question is where to start. IMO I would go back to the drills and things your instructor gave you and work on those in the same way he/she explained. I would also go back to that instructor for more lessons. Let them develop a practice plan for you and how often you should come back for lessons. If you don’t want to use that instructor then find another in your area or online. What I wouldn’t do is try to learn the swing on your own via swing thoughts and drills from random people on the internet that haven’t seen your swing.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 hours ago, Peter-T said:

Hi,

I have been out of the game for some time.  I recently retired and have been playing more.  I took a lesson mid-summer and made some adjustments.  I am just inconsistent and need to practice more.  Any suggestions on how to improve my overall game besides playing on a course? 

When at the range, is it better to work on my swing with a variety of clubs or try to master one part of the game at a time?  I know all aspects are important but fixing one thing at a time should still improve my overall performance.  For example, on average I shoot an 8 on medium length par 4.  Maybe 4 to get on and 4 putt.  Where is the best place to try and cut out a stroke?  Getting more distance off the tee, improving the fairway shots, working around the green, putting?  I guess my question is, where should I spend the bulk of my time when practicing?

Congratulations on retirement and welcome to the forum!  My suggestion would be to find a good teaching pro in your area and take a series of well spaced lessons.  Establishing good swing fundamentals/correcting bad ones will pay dividends in both scoring and overall enjoyment of the game. To simply keep practicing bad swing mechanics just perpetuates poor ball flight.  The other advantage of the lessons is that most pros will see any shortcomings in your clubs and suggest changes if needed.

Good luck with the journey and, above all else, enjoy the game.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Figure out the club that produces a 150 yard shot. Hopefully this is relatively straight and begin using this shot off the tee and on approaches. You can now reach any par 4 in 3 (or possibly 2) instead of 4. If you can figure out a shot that goes 200 yards and stays in play you can now reach all par 4s in 2. This doesn't need to be driver. 

Considering you are chipping to get on most greens a 4 putt shouldn't happen. As mentioned above, putting and chipping are 2 big areas you can learn about online and practice without a coach. It's easy enough to hit 5 yard chips on some carpet in the house to work on contact. Google or youtube will give you endless putting drills for speed. You just need to figure out which you can do based on available practice facilities. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Start playing consistently and make notes of the areas you want to improve on. The more times the errors occur tally them up. It gives you a good idea of what is costing you the most strokes. Focus on the biggest areas first then progress down the list. If you have an area you’re not able to fix in your own look for a local instructor if it’s an option. Play the easiest sets of tee to make the game easier. Work back over time. Get your feet underneath you before you look for a challenge 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

As others have stated, putting seems to be a great starting point with 4 putts. 

a few putting drills that helped me

1. I started using a line on anything inside of 10 feet. When I practice at home I always use a line and you get instant feedback if you hit a true end over end putt. This helped me reduce my putts per round average. 
2. Putting Mat with different lengths and take 25-50 putts a day to get a feel for it 

something else that has helped is tracking stats to see where there are opportunities for improvement 

1. Tee shot in play with a clear shot for next shot 

2. 2 chips to get on green

3. 3 putts or putts per hole 

4. If duffing, maybe write down club or distance causing a duff to find if any trends 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

On 11/24/2021 at 7:04 PM, Peter-T said:

Complete mishits and toppers will hopefully go away relatively quickly, with just playing rounds.  After those are gone then chipping and putting become paramount in my opinion.  Putts and chips if you keep track of it will occupy about 30-45 percent of your score( and there will be many give aways in there).  Being able to chip the ball from just off the green to within guaranteed two putt distance is critical.  Initially 8-15 feet is good, then as you practice then you look to get it to one putt distance once in a while (inside 5 feet).  The key is to practice chipping a lot.  First to eliminate skulls, and complete duffs.  Then to gain control and get it closer and closer. 

Practice distance control on putts, to avoid 3 putting at all costs.  And remember the pros are 50/50 from 8 feet.  So on any putts  over 8 feet, you or any of us shouldn't ever really expect to make them, so don't beat yourself up over not making putts over 8 feet, mainly be thinking don't 3 putt, a 8+ foot putt that goes in is just a bonus.  Just don't give away strokes by 3 putting.  Practice a lot of 4,5,6, and 7 footers.  These are distances where you can practice and expect to make one or two more a round. 

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 1 month later...

For me, I spent a lot of time in the scoring aspect during COVID. I bought a chipping net so I can hit 20-30 yard pitches and work on chipping. Also picked up an indoor putting mat that I can work on 10 footers and in. Now I feel very comfortable making those short 5' and in putts. Also when you lag putt from long distance imagine the hole is 3 ft diameter, that's the target with long putts to get it within that 3 ft.

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG