TESTERS WANTED! ×

No Alcohol Beverages

fixyurdivot

14 hours ago, BostonSal said:

Sentences in the Palmetto State seem to be a bit topugher than they are here, but some jail time is certainly appropriate, regardless.

Actually for a while we had the most Lax DUI laws in the USA---- That changed about 25 years ago now--- One of our beloved and powerful senators Strom Thurmond ( RIP) his grand daughter was killed by a drunk driver. And he had a lot of juice in this state. He along with MADD and the insurance companies got laws strenghtened. Even though we have tough laws some folks do not seem to care. As the cops refer to it "frequent flyers"---- Yeah I was glad to see that guy got 22 years but I doubt he will actually pull more than maybe 4 years. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Deleated senior moment double post 

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

16 hours ago, The 19th Hole said:

Growing up playing golf with my Father I always cringed when he and his buddies would flirt with the cart girl such that now I almost never go up to the cart when it drives by. Just an instinctual wave that I'm I don't need anything...Plus, I have a wife at home to flirt with....

I will typically grab a beer in the bar after the round if my playing partners are hanging around. Like previously said I am a bit picky on the whiskey/cocktails selection at most golf courses. 

Agree 110%--- I have a wife to flirt with at home--- Yep most of the courses here wonder why they have problems keeping cart girls. Some think because they are on vacation that it gives them license to get drunk and act stupid. Mamma and the kids are either at home ( Buddies trip) or shuffled to the pool or beach. I just was not raised that way. I was taught to treat a lady like a lady period.

One time at my former home course one of my friends his grand daughter about 18 yoa at the time took a cart girl job. I also knew and played golf with her dad. Since I was there most days they asked me to keep an eye out for her. One day I sensed and observed she was having some problems with some drunk belligerent 30 something tourons. I rode over and asked if everything was ok? One of the tourons shot back " WTF is it to you?" I was fixing to light into him verbabally and physically when she shot back "this is my husband"---- They jumped back and remember I was in my 40s then and in good shape with long hair then too and as some say I was intimidating looking. They left in silence and in a great hurry. I asked her WTH? I was a little older than her Daddy. She told me that plenty of girls her age had boyfriends or husbands my age. I said well they must have plenty of money and she said contraire in some cases yes but most of them liked older men because we knew how to treat a lady like a lady. It became a running joke at the club among her and her folks. In fact she got married a few years later and we let her husband in on the joke and he was a golfer too. When I see him even to this day I ask "how my ex wife is doing?"  We get a laugh

Had another incident at the same course with a cart girl that did not turn out well at all. We had a local bar that held a 9 hole shootout on Monday afternoons-- Those were some drunks and outright Richard Noggins. And really I can not go into detail but you guys are smart enough to imagine basically he tried to fondle her and kiss her which she did not want and made it known. i came along on the 3rd attempt because she had called in to the clubhouse and the pro knew me and another guy were on the course on the back side. He called us--- We went over there and confronted them. This guy was drunk and stupid too--- He made a swing on me bad mistake-- You do not do that I go into some kind of mode I can not explain----- I put him in the hospital. He tried to have me arrested but it did not fly because in SC we have provacation laws and he swung on me first and we had witnesses. In fact she took out a warrant on him for molesting. The course went as far as to barring him and the group. In fact the course I am a member at now heard of the incident and when they tried to go there they told them they did not want their business. The group as a whole was on the thin line of getting barred anyhow because we members were raising holy hell about obnoxious loud rude behavior and course damage. In fact I know that the 5 courses in our immediate area do not want their business. And our course was not making any big money anyhow because they were getting reduced green and cart fees and they were "bootlegging" their booze in to the course in mini bottles. And those that know me per say know I am a happy go lucky guy and do not go looking for trouble and will usually walk away from drunk obnoxius types. But do not swing on me because I go on full defense mode. My wife and others will tell you that back when I drank that I was the funniest non violent drunk they ever saw. I know when I was in the hospital when I broke my back my running partner Rapid Ronnie called me and I was hopped up on Demerol and no I do not remember. He told Shag Daddy that if you thought I was funny everyday you ought to give me a call in the hospital. The guys and the 2 bosses called me the 3rd day and put me on speaker and cracked up--- And no I do not remember that either

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Actually for a while we had the most Lax DUI laws in the USA---- That changed about 25 years ago now--- One of our beloved and powerful senators Strom Thurmond ( RIP) his grand daughter was killed by a drunk driver. And he had a lot of juice in this state. He along with MADD and the insurance companies got laws strenghtened. Even though we have tough laws some folks do not seem to care. As the cops refer to it "frequent flyers"---- Yeah I was glad to see that guy got 22 years but I doubt he will actually pull more than maybe 4 years. 

Not to screw up a good golf forum with ugly politics but I have to laugh at the difference between your town and mine.

Nobody in Boston would use the word "beloved" about Strom Thurmond, but I suspect that you guys had some colorful adjectives for Ted Kennedy!

No problem. We are where we are for a reason, right? 😁

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

4 hours ago, BostonSal said:

Not to screw up a good golf forum with ugly politics but I have to laugh at the difference between your town and mine.

Nobody in Boston would use the word "beloved" about Strom Thurmond, but I suspect that you guys had some colorful adjectives for Ted Kennedy!

No problem. We are where we are for a reason, right? 😁

I think old Strom had what was percieved as personal issues. I do not pay that mess any attention because someone is always digging up stuff on politicians. I know Strom married a really younger woman late in life and she had been some kind of pagent winner. He actually fathered a child in like his late 60s early 70s with her. Around here his nickname after that was "Sperm" Thurmond. Teddy I do not recall anyone ever saying much around here about him other than If a Olds Cutlass could float like a VW he would have been ok. 

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I think old Strom had what was percieved as personal issues. I do not pay that mess any attention because someone is always digging up stuff on politicians. I know Strom married a really younger woman late in life and she had been some kind of pagent winner. He actually fathered a child in like his late 60s early 70s with her. Around here his nickname after that was "Sperm" Thurmond. Teddy I do not recall anyone ever saying much around here about him other than If a Olds Cutlass could float like a VW he would have been ok. 

Actually. Stu, the difference in the personal lives of Strom and Ted were pretty irrelevant.

The difference in their votes on the senate foor were somewhat relevant, no?

That's to what I was referring in the difference between Massachusetts and South Carolina, and the folks who live therein, but so what?  

It's all outside the white stakes here at MGS.   We're here to talk golf!

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I always have my own coffee/water and snacks (jerky, nuts, granola bars, fruit) with me on the course and that's never been an issue. I've played with people who've brought coolers/bag and someone from the course checked them but no one had alcohol so we were good. Courses want to protect their bottom line but if they're good start confiscating a bag of pretzels they know that's one less repeat customer.

Alcohol is another story. Any more it's rare for me to have more than 2-3 beers out there, but that wasn't always the case. Back with my dad, we'd go through a lot of beer out there. And not all of it was purchased at the club. But any more I'm on the course to golf, not party.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 7:33 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This so much.  We (our course) are County owned.  DJ if we don’t follow county liquor license restrictions, well you can imagine the consequences.  
I’ll say this as nicely as I can.  Guys why would you even think it’s ok to bring your own beer or alcohol as a paying customer.  Would you think it’s ok at a MLB or NFL gsme.  Or into the local Outback or Legal Seafood?   
You would be shocked at the number of people who become beligerent about it or try to sneak it in their golf bags.  

If you can’t afford $8 to $12 for 3 -4 beers during a round, then maybe you should be evaluating if you should be playing that round. 

Maybe if golf courses charged state minimum prices like 99% of most places that sell alcohol, people would be more than happy to purchase from them instead of "sneeking" in their own???

4 hours ago, silver & black said:

Maybe if golf courses charged state minimum prices like 99% of most places that sell alcohol, people would be more than happy to purchase from them instead of "sneeking" in their own???

I do not think that is it, or at least the people I play with.  Most of them make a boat load of money, so I do not think it is a matter of cost, at least for the folks I play with.  I do get the allure of the tradition, but still......

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

I've never brought my own alcohol onto a golf course, but by the same token, I can't imagine anybody going through my bag to check, either.

Neither would fly at our club.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

On 12/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, silver & black said:

I do not think they have a set State Minimum price here--- Most of the courses here have outrageous Tourist Prices on alcohol. What I call regular beer like Bud ,  Miller Lite etc. are $5 to $6 a can at these courses. If one has a local membership they may get like a $1 break on that. Now my home course has a strong local member base and are not really tourist based. He does not do motel packages anymore but does book through Golf Now . com But their Beer prices are a heck of a lot cheaper the before mentioned types of beer are $4 per can non members and $3 a can for members. Mixed drinks I am not real sure of the price but they tell me it is real reasonable for members and visitors too compared to other courses 

G

If you can purchase a six of Budweiser (or any brand) for $10.00 at the local drive through/grocerie store, and the same six cost $16.00 at the golf course, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why people bring their own instead of purchase from the golf course.

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

If you can purchase a six of Budweiser (or any brand) for $10.00 at the local drive through/grocerie store, and the same six cost $16.00 at the golf course, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why people bring their own instead of purchase from the golf course.

This gets back to a question asked previously, would those same people try to sneak their beer into a restaurant?  In most parts of the world the licensing laws are the same, its illegal to bring your own alcohol into a licensed facility.  From a profit/loss the issue is also similar, the golf course (or restaurant) has a much higher cost associated with providing the alcohol, they really need to charge a premium.  Cheating the course out of that small amount of profit means they have to make it up somewhere else, somewhere that increases costs for all players.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

35 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This gets back to a question asked previously, would those same people try to sneak their beer into a restaurant?  In most parts of the world the licensing laws are the same, its illegal to bring your own alcohol into a licensed facility.  From a profit/loss the issue is also similar, the golf course (or restaurant) has a much higher cost associated with providing the alcohol, they really need to charge a premium.  Cheating the course out of that small amount of profit means they have to make it up somewhere else, somewhere that increases costs for all players.

This right here. Beer is astronomically priced at sporting events, yet no one tries to sneak in a six pack there. So why is it acceptable to do this on the golf course? Greens fees isn't a good answer, because football tickets cost an arm and a leg. It's just people thinking that they're special and it's OK for them to cheat the course out of money plus potentially expose them to liability. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I know clubs look for every avenue to make more revenue but how about just not selling alcohol on the course at all?  No cart girls.  The only alcohol purchased is in the bar & for consumption IN the bar only.  But ... that will never happen unless there is an issue or something unfortunate happens.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I understand all that. I never advocated that sneaking your own alcohol in was/is right. I'm just pointing out "why" people do it.

It's expected to pay more at a restaurant when the reason for being there is to have a meal and a drink or two.

The reason to be at a golf course is to play golf. Beer is just a very small part of the "experience". Most people don't want to pay premium prices for a few beers after paying greens fees. All of us can surely understand the "why".

We can argue against the practice, and rightly so, but it doesn't change the "why".

10 minutes ago, silver & black said:

The reason to be at a golf course is to play golf. Beer is just a very small part of the "experience". Most people don't want to pay premium prices for a few beers after paying greens fees. All of us can surely understand the "why".

Again - they pay a premium price for a sporting event, so they can suck it up and deal with the beer prices at the course too if they truly want to support it. I don't understand the "why" because I don't think I'm special or any more entitled than everyone else. Some folks think they are - that's the REAL "why".

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Again - they pay a premium price for a sporting event, so they can suck it up and deal with the beer prices at the course too if they truly want to support it. I don't understand the "why" because I don't think I'm special or any more entitled than everyone else. Some folks think they are - that's the REAL "why".

Again... I am only pointing out WHY people bring their own. I don't disagree with you.

Question: how many of you take a flask now and again of Scotch, Bourbon, Tequila,etc... and have a pull or two during a round? I'm guessing quite a few.

There is a Biblical passage about a speck and a log in one's eye that comes to mind...lol.

I don't want to the be the one to tell these gals they can't have that nip of birdie juice.  

What's in your birdie juice? 5 suggestions from GottaGoGolf

Anyone know the origin of this tradition?  Some suggest it goes way back to Old Tom Morris days and that golf is 18 holes because there are (or were) 18 shots in a bottle.  It does seen to fit well with cold, damp weather, tweed, and wool.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 12/14/2021 at 10:08 AM, silver & black said:

We played at a course in southern Utah.  Copper Rock.  Great course and decent price $150 ish.  But they charged $47 dollars for a six pack of modelo.  That is ridiculous.  I get making a profit but that is gouging.

One of the benefits of being a member at a country club is they are not trying to balance the ledger off of beer and liquor sales.

Edited by Rhinosparky

1 hour ago, Rhinosparky said:

We played at a course in southern Utah.  Copper Rock.  Great course and decent price $150 ish.  But they charged $47 dollars for a six pack of modelo.  That is ridiculous.  I get making a profit but that is gouging.

One of the benefits of being a member at a country club is they are not trying to balance the ledger off of beer and liquor sales.

Exactly. Even a slight increase from State minimum is okay. I understand they need to make money, but the prices the golf courses in my area charge for a six pack is nuts. 

On 12/16/2021 at 5:45 AM, russtopherb said:

plus potentially expose them to liability. 

This.  Exactly this.  

In my state, the licensee is responsible for the alcohol consumed on property.  If someone were to bring their own, overindulge, then have an accident that is related to said consumption, the licensee bears some responsibility.  This number could potentially be very high.  

This really is easy. Don't bring your own to a licensed facility if it is illegal in your area. 

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip