No Alcohol Beverages

fixyurdivot

36 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

This is easy.  Don't bring your own alcohol to a licensed facility. 

you wouldn't at a bar, restaurant, grocery store, or concert venue, so don't do it at a golf course.

Simple.  

While this is true in most cases there are restaurants that allow you to bring in outside alcoholic beverages.  They generally charge you a corking fee but it is allowed.  This is state and restaurant dependent but it is allowed.   

the simple answer is to simply follow the rules of the place you are playing. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't drink a lot when I play, but when I drink I like to drink good stuff. Most courses don't have a very good top shelf. So I will occasionally bring a little bit of what I like for days when I am there for enjoyment over shooting my best score...

• Like 2
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

2 hours ago, The 19th Hole said:

I don't drink a lot when I play, but when I drink I like to drink good stuff. Most courses don't have a very good top shelf. So I will occasionally bring a little bit of what I like for days when I am there for enjoyment over shooting my best score...

I don't drink any alcohol when I play unless the beverage cart girl flirts with me and then I'm pretty much obligated to buy something.

They can play old men as if we were harmonicas.

In the clubhouse, I'll have a drink or two but never more than that because I'm driving home.

I miraculously got away with too much incredibly stupid behavior as a youngster

so that my place now is to be thankful and not tempt fate.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I've never even considered bringing alcohol with me to the course as "birdie juice". I guess I'm not following hallowed traditions then???? Am I less of a golfer as a result?

No, you're not less of a golfer but you might not be having as much fun 😆.  This tradition is something the older guys I hang with here in Yuma got me into years ago... so I'm the victim here.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

While this is true in most cases there are restaurants that allow you to bring in outside alcoholic beverages.  They generally charge you a corking fee but it is allowed.  This is state and restaurant dependent but it is allowed.   

the simple answer is to simply follow the rules of the place you are playing. 

Yep North Carolina was like that back in the day when I was growing up. It was called  "Brown Bagging" and was legal then. The restaurant would let you bring in your liquor etc and charge a fee for chasers and Ice etc. Ever so often especially in the election years " Liquor by the drink" would come up and the Baptists would raise a stink and it would be defeated. I do not know now per say because I have not lived there in over 40 years now. I do know in NC they still have dry counties. Cabarrus county is still a dry county but Concord which is the county seat is wet and you can buy alcohol in the city. In fact they annexed Charlotte Motor Speedway into the city a few years back so they could sell beer at the races and events. In SC I am not real sure of the laws except that up until like 5 years ago we were the only state left with the mini bottles by law in bars and restaurants. Now they have free pour but some tell me you can still buy mini bottles at the liquor store. I know that for a fact because some of the guys carry mini bottles especially Fireball in their golf bags.

But I agree with you if your are in their house follow their rules. To me it makes no difference because I really do not drink anymore maybe ONE beer if I am in the mood for it which is not too often

• Like 1

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs Steelfiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy2 52* Stock regular shaft--- SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind modified to 10* bounce KBS wedge shaft R---- Putter Scotty Sante Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft you seriously think it was going anywhere? Bag Old School Burton Mini Staff non demontional no advertising

11 hours ago, BostonSal said:

I don't drink any alcohol when I play unless the beverage cart girl flirts with me and then I'm pretty much obligated to buy something.

In the clubhouse, I'll have a drink or two but never more than that because I'm driving home.

Believe it or not my home course does not have a beverage cart--- The owners say that beverage carts and cart girls are a PITA--- Now their beer and drink prices are reasonable and they will give you free ice and a nice bag for free to take on the course.

And I do not really drink anymore but would not drink and drive anyhow--- My days of being a volunteer fireman and a wrecker driver seeing too many innocent lives ruined has made a mark in my mind--- Never did drink and drive when I drank but had enough stupid behavior with motor vehicles as in drag racing and such that I was lucky I did not kill myself or innocent other people. Yep I am thankful and do not tempt fate--- What appaled me when I got in the wrecker business here was the number of DUI arrests made here on a daily basis. Not only tourists but locals too. Like I told one of the Cops it just amazes me they have bill boards posted messages on TV and radio and Still people do it. That officer also told me another amazing fact for this area for everyone they catch 5 more get away with it or kill someone before they get caught. I know it was on the news here yesterday a guy some time back driving drunk on revoked license for DUI ran into a man and killed him and his young Grand daughter. He did get 22 years for it. Hope he pulls every minute of it. 

• Like 1

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs Steelfiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy2 52* Stock regular shaft--- SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind modified to 10* bounce KBS wedge shaft R---- Putter Scotty Sante Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft you seriously think it was going anywhere? Bag Old School Burton Mini Staff non demontional no advertising

Too many things to quote here, this is a great discussion thread!  

Big difference between what is posted at the courses I have played (no coolers on course/no alcohol) and what people do (darn those people!) with regards to what goes on course.  Totally agree with the would you do it if you were at a restaurant or bar comment.  So many (of those people) will only follow rules if they feel someone is watching them who cares, otherwise they do what they want and that has the same effect on me as watching someone remove a wrapper and drop it on the ground, please don't do that near a Veteran especially a Marine.

I stopped all alcohol anything on course for 2 main reasons, (1) it wasn't doing anything to help my game and (2) a dear Veteran friend cannot touch it and I could not help notice how much better I enjoy playing the game with him because it is not part of the day at all.  When regular playing partners offer a can usually starting at the 4th tee I graciously accept but will take it at 19th hole après golf socializing and then only one as long as it is long enough to have zero residual effects when it is time to head away from the parking lot.  Too many tragedies out there (because of those people) that I refuse to contribute to.  Those playing partners this summer have each decided to forego imbibing until after round as well and I cannot tell you how thankful I am for their choice.

A few cans of sparkling water passes the course nit-noids every time in my little cooler and hits the spot for something that isn't just plain water in the hanging water bottle.  Just remember, every rule and law exists because someone did something to make them necessary.  And cart girls do have sports drinks!!! 😍🥰

Verified Hack, 23 handicap 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: O'Donnell Triumph hybrids 10-15-19-27 graphite, Ginty Trouble Club steel

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-P  Spitfire Graphite XL Shafts

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1    ⛳ 934372551_The-Club-Buddy-Rev-1-0120h.jpg.2e06db61797bee31ed27f49a3b801098.jpg 517658623_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.2d0acde35cce050d2a56a647437d1cfe.jpg  1944240139_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.8c7f11d619e7390fdb8ccdfac6479d58.jpg

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳   1435280570_COBALTicon25tall.jpg.31b6f5458d409c6539d66b88e728a841.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️  572101405_SwingUicon25.jpg.ef5d6308ca59444daedc3e24214e87d9.jpgSwingU Looper  

💻  1308581734_EPLogoxsm.jpg.93b58a256c00a74e47a35314305b477f.jpgMGS Logo  🌐  1590215503_dghLogo30.jpg.f5abb718a74e4d05c07131656bb13e78.jpgBall mark   |>   IGBRC   [International Golf Ball Rescue Committee] "playing the best found balls" -Founder-

1231925043_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.f5b3c2e4a88708f6a6b5d3e143d9cba8.png PGA HOPE Member 2138091835_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.47a28d11828bd99f0147b9eee5c17ec4.png  "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg

On 11/30/2021 at 12:15 PM, BostonSal said:

Growing up playing golf with my Father I always cringed when he and his buddies would flirt with the cart girl such that now I almost never go up to the cart when it drives by. Just an instinctual wave that I'm I don't need anything...Plus, I have a wife at home to flirt with....

I will typically grab a beer in the bar after the round if my playing partners are hanging around. Like previously said I am a bit picky on the whiskey/cocktails selection at most golf courses. 

• Like 1
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

On 12/1/2021 at 3:15 AM, BIG STU said:

Believe it or not my home course does not have a beverage cart--- The owners say that beverage carts and cart girls are a PITA--- Now their beer and drink prices are reasonable and they will give you free ice and a nice bag for free to take on the course.

And I do not really drink anymore but would not drink and drive anyhow--- My days of being a volunteer fireman and a wrecker driver seeing too many innocent lives ruined has made a mark in my mind--- Never did drink and drive when I drank but had enough stupid behavior with motor vehicles as in drag racing and such that I was lucky I did not kill myself or innocent other people. Yep I am thankful and do not tempt fate--- What appaled me when I got in the wrecker business here was the number of DUI arrests made here on a daily basis. Not only tourists but locals too. Like I told one of the Cops it just amazes me they have bill boards posted messages on TV and radio and Still people do it. That officer also told me another amazing fact for this area for everyone they catch 5 more get away with it or kill someone before they get caught. I know it was on the news here yesterday a guy some time back driving drunk on revoked license for DUI ran into a man and killed him and his young Grand daughter. He did get 22 years for it. Hope he pulls every minute of it. 

Sentences in the Palmetto State seem to be a bit topugher than they are here, but some jail time is certainly appropriate, regardless.

• Like 1

Lots of good points here.  

One thing to remember is golf courses thrive on people spending money on everything besides golf.  

Carts, Food, Drinks and gear.  

Having worked on golf courses for 12 years one thing I can say is certain, people are always looking for a way to get something for free and they come in all shapes, sizes and tax brackets...

• Like 4
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

I don't drink at all (at least not for the last 13 years).

For whatever reason, the guys i play with (regulars and randoms) at my club drink like one beer max on the course, and most don't drink at all during a round. On Sundays, there is no beverage cart either. On all other days, I rarely see the beverage cart driving around, and half the time its some dude driving the cart. 

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

14 hours ago, BostonSal said:

Sentences in the Palmetto State seem to be a bit topugher than they are here, but some jail time is certainly appropriate, regardless.

Actually for a while we had the most Lax DUI laws in the USA---- That changed about 25 years ago now--- One of our beloved and powerful senators Strom Thurmond ( RIP) his grand daughter was killed by a drunk driver. And he had a lot of juice in this state. He along with MADD and the insurance companies got laws strenghtened. Even though we have tough laws some folks do not seem to care. As the cops refer to it "frequent flyers"---- Yeah I was glad to see that guy got 22 years but I doubt he will actually pull more than maybe 4 years. 

• Like 1

Deleated senior moment double post 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, The 19th Hole said:

Growing up playing golf with my Father I always cringed when he and his buddies would flirt with the cart girl such that now I almost never go up to the cart when it drives by. Just an instinctual wave that I'm I don't need anything...Plus, I have a wife at home to flirt with....

I will typically grab a beer in the bar after the round if my playing partners are hanging around. Like previously said I am a bit picky on the whiskey/cocktails selection at most golf courses. 

Agree 110%--- I have a wife to flirt with at home--- Yep most of the courses here wonder why they have problems keeping cart girls. Some think because they are on vacation that it gives them license to get drunk and act stupid. Mamma and the kids are either at home ( Buddies trip) or shuffled to the pool or beach. I just was not raised that way. I was taught to treat a lady like a lady period.

One time at my former home course one of my friends his grand daughter about 18 yoa at the time took a cart girl job. I also knew and played golf with her dad. Since I was there most days they asked me to keep an eye out for her. One day I sensed and observed she was having some problems with some drunk belligerent 30 something tourons. I rode over and asked if everything was ok? One of the tourons shot back " WTF is it to you?" I was fixing to light into him verbabally and physically when she shot back "this is my husband"---- They jumped back and remember I was in my 40s then and in good shape with long hair then too and as some say I was intimidating looking. They left in silence and in a great hurry. I asked her WTH? I was a little older than her Daddy. She told me that plenty of girls her age had boyfriends or husbands my age. I said well they must have plenty of money and she said contraire in some cases yes but most of them liked older men because we knew how to treat a lady like a lady. It became a running joke at the club among her and her folks. In fact she got married a few years later and we let her husband in on the joke and he was a golfer too. When I see him even to this day I ask "how my ex wife is doing?"  We get a laugh

Had another incident at the same course with a cart girl that did not turn out well at all. We had a local bar that held a 9 hole shootout on Monday afternoons-- Those were some drunks and outright Richard Noggins. And really I can not go into detail but you guys are smart enough to imagine basically he tried to fondle her and kiss her which she did not want and made it known. i came along on the 3rd attempt because she had called in to the clubhouse and the pro knew me and another guy were on the course on the back side. He called us--- We went over there and confronted them. This guy was drunk and stupid too--- He made a swing on me bad mistake-- You do not do that I go into some kind of mode I can not explain----- I put him in the hospital. He tried to have me arrested but it did not fly because in SC we have provacation laws and he swung on me first and we had witnesses. In fact she took out a warrant on him for molesting. The course went as far as to barring him and the group. In fact the course I am a member at now heard of the incident and when they tried to go there they told them they did not want their business. The group as a whole was on the thin line of getting barred anyhow because we members were raising holy hell about obnoxious loud rude behavior and course damage. In fact I know that the 5 courses in our immediate area do not want their business. And our course was not making any big money anyhow because they were getting reduced green and cart fees and they were "bootlegging" their booze in to the course in mini bottles. And those that know me per say know I am a happy go lucky guy and do not go looking for trouble and will usually walk away from drunk obnoxius types. But do not swing on me because I go on full defense mode. My wife and others will tell you that back when I drank that I was the funniest non violent drunk they ever saw. I know when I was in the hospital when I broke my back my running partner Rapid Ronnie called me and I was hopped up on Demerol and no I do not remember. He told Shag Daddy that if you thought I was funny everyday you ought to give me a call in the hospital. The guys and the 2 bosses called me the 3rd day and put me on speaker and cracked up--- And no I do not remember that either

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Actually for a while we had the most Lax DUI laws in the USA---- That changed about 25 years ago now--- One of our beloved and powerful senators Strom Thurmond ( RIP) his grand daughter was killed by a drunk driver. And he had a lot of juice in this state. He along with MADD and the insurance companies got laws strenghtened. Even though we have tough laws some folks do not seem to care. As the cops refer to it "frequent flyers"---- Yeah I was glad to see that guy got 22 years but I doubt he will actually pull more than maybe 4 years. 

Not to screw up a good golf forum with ugly politics but I have to laugh at the difference between your town and mine.

Nobody in Boston would use the word "beloved" about Strom Thurmond, but I suspect that you guys had some colorful adjectives for Ted Kennedy!

No problem. We are where we are for a reason, right? 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BostonSal said:

Not to screw up a good golf forum with ugly politics but I have to laugh at the difference between your town and mine.

Nobody in Boston would use the word "beloved" about Strom Thurmond, but I suspect that you guys had some colorful adjectives for Ted Kennedy!

No problem. We are where we are for a reason, right? 😁

I think old Strom had what was percieved as personal issues. I do not pay that mess any attention because someone is always digging up stuff on politicians. I know Strom married a really younger woman late in life and she had been some kind of pagent winner. He actually fathered a child in like his late 60s early 70s with her. Around here his nickname after that was "Sperm" Thurmond. Teddy I do not recall anyone ever saying much around here about him other than If a Olds Cutlass could float like a VW he would have been ok. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I think old Strom had what was percieved as personal issues. I do not pay that mess any attention because someone is always digging up stuff on politicians. I know Strom married a really younger woman late in life and she had been some kind of pagent winner. He actually fathered a child in like his late 60s early 70s with her. Around here his nickname after that was "Sperm" Thurmond. Teddy I do not recall anyone ever saying much around here about him other than If a Olds Cutlass could float like a VW he would have been ok. 

Actually. Stu, the difference in the personal lives of Strom and Ted were pretty irrelevant.

The difference in their votes on the senate foor were somewhat relevant, no?

That's to what I was referring in the difference between Massachusetts and South Carolina, and the folks who live therein, but so what?  

It's all outside the white stakes here at MGS.   We're here to talk golf!

• Like 1

I always have my own coffee/water and snacks (jerky, nuts, granola bars, fruit) with me on the course and that's never been an issue. I've played with people who've brought coolers/bag and someone from the course checked them but no one had alcohol so we were good. Courses want to protect their bottom line but if they're good start confiscating a bag of pretzels they know that's one less repeat customer.

Alcohol is another story. Any more it's rare for me to have more than 2-3 beers out there, but that wasn't always the case. Back with my dad, we'd go through a lot of beer out there. And not all of it was purchased at the club. But any more I'm on the course to golf, not party.

Take Dead Aim

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 7:33 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This so much.  We (our course) are County owned.  DJ if we don’t follow county liquor license restrictions, well you can imagine the consequences.  
I’ll say this as nicely as I can.  Guys why would you even think it’s ok to bring your own beer or alcohol as a paying customer.  Would you think it’s ok at a MLB or NFL gsme.  Or into the local Outback or Legal Seafood?   
You would be shocked at the number of people who become beligerent about it or try to sneak it in their golf bags.  

If you can’t afford $8 to $12 for 3 -4 beers during a round, then maybe you should be evaluating if you should be playing that round. 

Maybe if golf courses charged state minimum prices like 99% of most places that sell alcohol, people would be more than happy to purchase from them instead of "sneeking" in their own???

• Like 2

4 hours ago, silver & black said:

Maybe if golf courses charged state minimum prices like 99% of most places that sell alcohol, people would be more than happy to purchase from them instead of "sneeking" in their own???

I do not think that is it, or at least the people I play with.  Most of them make a boat load of money, so I do not think it is a matter of cost, at least for the folks I play with.  I do get the allure of the tradition, but still......

• Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 3 & GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Irons       635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter     Seemore3.jpg.f4ef99613c6f9407a7e1a0a6ce56bf3e.jpg      Seemore Si1
  • 2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.1a396eb0e7a56229c153cfe6bb5b7435.jpg                            2021 Tester