Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

shafts breaking on Cobra single length irons

timk

I have a set of Cobra single length irons and have had 3 shafts break - 5, 6, and 9 iron over a 2 year period.   None of the breaks occurred due to hardpan, or chunked hits.  I'm 65 years old, have played for 30 years and have had only one club break before this set.  Has anyone else had a similar issue.  They have all broken right at the top of the hosel.

This sounds like a batch issue and not an overall product or Cobra issue.

Same set, same break, same location makes it seem like something in the manufacturing process (material mixture, the machine, etc) went wrong for your particular batch and the other shafts that were part of that batch. And given that it was the same location for your three shafts, I'd put my money on it was something with the machine that day. Unfortunately, it happens all the time in manufacturing for all industries when you get a bad batch of the underlying materials, when someone doesn't calibrate the machines right, when something gets knocked loose, etc. Just sucks when you get the bad draw. Sorry to hear mate.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I’d reach out to cobra directly. Hopefully their customer service can get you squared away 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 11/26/2021 at 2:47 PM, timk said:

I have a set of Cobra single length irons and have had 3 shafts break - 5, 6, and 9 iron over a 2 year period.   None of the breaks occurred due to hardpan, or chunked hits.  I'm 65 years old, have played for 30 years and have had only one club break before this set.  Has anyone else had a similar issue.  They have all broken right at the top of the hosel.

Did you buy the clubs new? If yes, did the clubs come directly from Cobra or did some other shop build them?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 2 years later...

My husband has had 3 irons break (5, 6 & 7) over the past year. The clubs are 2 years old and he has the Cobra speedzone with the KVS steel shaft. Same thing, he has only had 1 club break ever and it was 20 years old. These are breaking with normal swings/ball contact. Bad quality I think.