TESTERS WANTED! ×

My quest to putt better with Burnt Edge Consulting

I started this thread:

http://forum.mygolfs...-better-putter/

a few weeks ago just to try to introduce people to Bruce and what he's doing. Over the past few days Bruce and I have started working together to build a putting stroke (and a putter) that will help me to maximize my ability, and I thought I would get a new thread going to let everyone know 1) what working with Bruce is like and 2) how the process is going for me.

When I initially signed on with Burnt Edge Consulting, Bruce sent a PowerPoint to me that is essentially a presentation of his findings to date. Bruce has used SAM Puttlab to study over 50,000 putting strokes, and that is the basis for his findings. The PowerPoint serves as a reference for the student and a springboard from which to start asking questions.

One thing that is key to understand if you're going to work with Bruce: he does not teach a method. By that I mean he is not like Dave Pelz who says, "Everyone should putt straight-back-straight-through, it is the best way." What Bruce does is show you the best method for you based on your vision and posture.

I sent Bruce a picture of myself addressing a putt and, based only on the picture, he correctly identified my profile (verified by a previous SAM session). Bruce has found that there are 6 basic profiles, and I am a #4. What this means is that my stroke goes straight back and then arcs through to the left of the target, so I have a directional bias to the left.

From there, and with the PowerPoint as a starting block, Bruce and I have been trading questions and answers about my stroke. At each turn, Bruce has given me new things to experiment with and report back on, as well as drills. We are VERY early in the process and have not even met in person yet, but I already feel that I have a greatly improved sense of what my stroke is about and where it needs to go.

I look forward to updating this thread often as I learn more and make more putts. If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them (or turn them over to Bruce). Also, feel free to add your own thoughts/experiences/ideas here.

Happy New Year!

Bruce's website: http://www.bargolfin...n.blogspot.com/

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm also signed up for Bruce's info. I met Bruce last year in SoCal and was blown away at how fast he is at spotting putting styles and how knowledgeable he is with facts. The experience was very cool to hear Bruce dissect a bunch of different golfers' strokes. Bruce also taught us a lot about the engineering of a putter and what various parts do. Fatter grips, thinner grips, heavier weight, long necks, neck placement, offset, etc.

The most recent powerpoint I got is basically what we worked on in person and it really has changed my game. Seeing the line correctly from behind the ball and at address and then building a posture from there. Then using a putter that works with your body.

Matt,

I'm almost the opposite of you. My stroke goes back with an arc and then my right side powers through impact on less of an arc. Knowing that I need putters with toe hang and offset. Lighter heads and thinner grips help too. Everything is geared towards getting some face closure through impact for me. I basically groomed my putting stroke after old Tiger and have found a lot of similarities in our needs and drills. Without ever saying anything to Bruce he spotted my stroke and even saw the most subtle details that left me thinking, "How the hell does he see such a subtle move, but I know he's right because I feel every part of it."

I spy with my little eye something...

I had the same "Wow, how does he know" when he diagnosed me from a still photo.

I've exchanged a few more emails with Bruce and have started working hard on one of the drills he has given me. The drill is simple, I am hitting putts left handed (with a glove under my left arm) to get the feel for leading with my left hand and keeping the putter face open at impact. Because my directional bias/path goes to the left of the target, I need an open face at impact to get the ball rolling on line. I can't tell you how many putts I'm making and how good I feel over the ball. The part that's even better is that I know I'm working on drills that are FOR ME, not just some drill that a guy in a magazine says is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

Any updates?

I sent Bruce some video a few days ago and he starting writing my personal guide with explanations to my current swing - why I do what I do. It's been a fantastic experience to learn how to explain my own swing sequence and know what to eliminate and what to work on. So far we have only got to the top of the swing and have corrected some lower body movements. Some of it was really easy and immediately eliminated some useless swing thoughts I had. Another portion that I'm working on will take a lot of reps.

I can say one thing for sure: Bruce has made me into a very tough judge of putting training aides!

At this point, Bruce and I are still exchanging lots of emails discussing drills, thoughts, etc. We've discussed my source of motion (the "motor" for my stroke) which has been very helpful for me.

I think the big watershed experience will be getting together with Bruce in person so that we can see my stroke on SAM Puttlab and nail down some things that we can only guess at (though, in his case, the guesses are damned good!) over email. I think we're aiming for early spring with that, so there will be much more to post then.

I am working with Bruce as well and it has been a great experience. We have been reviewing the various models and sources of motion. Sent some pictures and videos so he knew what he was working with.

The slides and presentations are great teaching tools and all the information seems to make sense; even the things that go against what is considered to be the normal.

I have gotten through most of the information and we are preparing to start working through putter selection. I think Bruce already knows what I need, but I still want to go through the learning experience. Based on what I have learned, I think I have an idea as well, but we will see what we come up with.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am working with Bruce as well and it has been a great experience. We have been reviewing the various models and sources of motion. Sent some pictures and videos so he knew what he was working with.

The slides and presentations are great teaching tools and all the information seems to make sense; even the things that go against what is considered to be the normal.

I have gotten through most of the information and we are preparing to start working through putter selection. I think Bruce already knows what I need, but I still want to go through the learning experience. Based on what I have learned, I think I have an idea as well, but we will see what we come up with.

I'm glad to hear that you're also working with Bruce and enjoying it. What Profile are you? I'm either a 2 or a 4, thinking probably a 2. My source of motion is the left hand/left arm, trying to hold the face open a bit at impact to "balance" my path's left bias.

I'm glad to hear that you're also working with Bruce and enjoying it. What Profile are you? I'm either a 2 or a 4, thinking probably a 2. My source of motion is the left hand/left arm, trying to hold the face open a bit at impact to "balance" my path's left bias.

I am between a 4 and 6 and my source of motion is shoulders. Since I have the ball up in my stance I will also need to hold the face open as well.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

For those working with Bruce how are you progressing? I think my stroke and consistency has really been improving. Amazing how far from what would considered "normal" I have become. Ball is outside the eyes with the ball up in my stance.

Now that I have figure out the stroke we are working on what putter should I select. We have been covering where the shaft intersects the face, offset, and getting ready to cover COG. I have really enjoyed learning about the design theories behind the putter.

Bruce has been providing me with some great stuff and I eagerly await each of his responses and updates.

For those working with Bruce how are you progressing? I think my stroke and consistency has really been improving. Amazing how far from what would considered "normal" I have become. Ball is outside the eyes with the ball up in my stance.

Now that I have figure out the stroke we are working on what putter should I select. We have been covering where the shaft intersects the face, offset, and getting ready to cover COG. I have really enjoyed learning about the design theories behind the putter.

Bruce has been providing me with some great stuff and I eagerly await each of his responses and updates.

Great to hear that your work is going well.

For me, as I've said before, I'm in a bit of a holding pattern until we get together. I'm sure we could progress a bit through emails, but given that I won't be playing soon, I'm happy to wait until he can see my putting stroke on SAM Puttlab and really get into the details with me.

• 4 weeks later...

Got some on-course feedback from my work with Bruce today.

Short version: I'M KILLING IT. I feel like Bruce undercharged by at least three times.

Long version: I've been working hard on being "left sided" in my stroke (powering the stroke with my left hand, left arm/shoulder on longer putts). I hit lots of 10 footers everyday since I work 2 steps from a putting green. Today I saw the benefits. I hit a ton of shots inside 15' and I made a lot of them, even though it was like putting through gravel today.

I still have a lot of work to do on longer putts; hitting a putt more than 20 feet with my left hand is tough. My only three putt came as a result of a 30 footer that I shoved about 6 feet left of the hole (though with good speed).

I plan to see Bruce in person soon, and I know he will have some drills for me to work on to improve this part of my putting. Alternately, I will just work to hit everything inside 15 feet.

I'm a couple months into working with Bruce and we've discussed full swing concepts and patterns as well as putting. The full swing stuff has been excellent. I've eliminated some stuff that was not needed and the results are an easier to reproduce swing with more power and much more consistency. Fairways and GIR and distance are up and my last round included a personal best 8 birdies. I typically hope for 2-3 birdies a round. Needless to say the results have been fantastic in game, at the range and most of all my overall understanding of my swing.

It is very literally like taking a university level class on golf swings and how your own swing works. There's even personalized "text books", homework and office hours.

I am reading these posts with great curiosity. I would have to say that my putting has always been my weakest point of my game. I don't hole enough putts with one stroke to play down the scratch or better when I was in college.

Now The putting has gotten slightly worse from a lack of playing going into this season. I have been looking for a good source for putting advice for a long time now and you might be able to provide this for me. I need some direction on getting better at this part of my game. So if you could give me a little more information on how to contact Bruce and what rates he charges for consulting that would be great.

As anyone that has played the Duke Course in Durham knows the course will test you on approach, short game and especially putting. This course will take no prisoners when it comes to those areas if you are not !+ that day. So obviously I have a good arena to test progress in :) Thanks for any additional information that you might be able to provide. You can PM me if you are not comfortable sharing in an open form.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Bruce is not going to like you. I am now 30 seconds from blowing up his inbox with a thousand full swing questions. :lol:

Ha Ha,

A few months back when it starting getting really cold around here my driver swing went to crap. I started snap hooking more often than not. I couldn't take it any longer, so I filmed some video according to Bruce's instructions (he had great tips on how to set up the camera etc), and sent it to him. He wrote back with a guide much like the putting guides he sends us. IT IS JUST AS GOOD! He bills himself more as a putting instructor, but his full swing eyes and understanding is just as good. Remember he was voted top Golf Digest 100 fitter in the nation (IIRC). He spotted my flaws like any good instructor can, but he also eliminated some moves I thought I needed. Eliminating just a few parts and concentrating on another area really got my swing grooved.

The funny thing is Mygolfspy has two series like this thread. One on Bruce (this thread) and one on Kevin Estrella that Dave is writing. I think I'm the only person in the world to have been a student of both guys. LUCKY ME! I would highly recommend both guys BTW, but I think Kevin only does in person lessons while Bruce does both online and in person. Over the years I have now worked with 7 different guys who are either PGA teachers, coaches or a former PGA Tour player. Bruce and Kevin are by far the best at what they do. They both make reading about golf swing theories from a flavor of the month book or magazine pointless and possibly harmful. Great instruction is hard to find, but worth every penny. Just like any type of educator their talents range from generic observations to PhD/Professors. Bruce and Kevin definitely have their PhD.

I am reading these posts with great curiosity. I would have to say that my putting has always been my weakest point of my game. I don't hole enough putts with one stroke to play down the scratch or better when I was in college.

Now The putting has gotten slightly worse from a lack of playing going into this season. I have been looking for a good source for putting advice for a long time now and you might be able to provide this for me. I need some direction on getting better at this part of my game. So if you could give me a little more information on how to contact Bruce and what rates he charges for consulting that would be great.

As anyone that has played the Duke Course in Durham knows the course will test you on approach, short game and especially putting. This course will take no prisoners when it comes to those areas if you are not !+ that day. So obviously I have a good arena to test progress in :) Thanks for any additional information that you might be able to provide. You can PM me if you are not comfortable sharing in an open form.

Hi Matt,

Is the consulting a purely online thing or restricted to Californians who can show up in person?

Sorry, I missed these comments the other day and failed to respond. The consulting that I have done has purely been on line so far. Bruce is based in Indiana and you can go to him if you are one of his students. I know he has also talked about making some trips to see students, but I'm not sure where that stands.

Bruce's blog is found at:

http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/

And his email is:

brucerearick@comcast.net

Thanks for the information Matt.

I started working with Bruce on Monday and so far the results have been great, I feel with each new chunk that I get of information unlocks a new door to my putting stroke. I really can't wait to see what he has in store for me next.

I don't want to get into a lot of details as I think Mat probably has more permission to talk about working with Bruce then I do.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Thanks for the information Matt.

I started working with Bruce on Monday and so far the results have been great, I feel with each new chunk that I get of information unlocks a new door to my putting stroke. I really can't wait to see what he has in store for me next.

I don't want to get into a lot of details as I think Mat probably has more permission to talk about working with Bruce then I do.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it!

Are you a right sider or a left sider?

Well I will start from the beginning on my personal story of working with Burnt Edges Consulting. We got the business stuff out of the way and I received the first material on March 20th (only a few days ago)

I then started to practice and think about the initial material one day one when I went out and played nine holes, I worked on the drill he sent and the material getting into a more natural position for me personally. This was the first tip that this wasn't going to be method type of teaching interaction which I was excited about. I am very anti-method teaching, I want people to work with what I have not put me into a mold.

I then played another nine holes on the 21st practicing getting into the position that I felt good with. When I got home I had my 'better half' take a photo of my address to the ball as the material Bruce sent instructed. The next day I got back an e-mail with more material updated to my posture and a couple other technical details. I am trending towards a 5 (from the 9 posture photos sent in the original material) however a little more crouched.

We then wen over the material that was dealing with determining left sided or right sided bias. I am right bias throughout my golf swing which I described to him my general miss on the full swing and on the putter.

That is where we stand as of today and me posting, he sent back some information that was geared to me as to drills and why misses could happen in my stroke. That information is cool never knew that before now.

After three 9 hole rounds and a lot of back and forth e-mails about various things and my posture picture I am already putting the ball better then I was before I started working with Bruce.

For people that are looking to work with an instructor that DOES NOT teach a 'method' then Bruce is going to be perfect for you. You have to come into it with an open mind telling yourself that you do not have the answers if you did you probably wouldn't be talking with Bruce anyways.

I am purposely being vague on the material as I fell Matt covered it pretty well and that Bruce has done some great work in his research and won't people to check him out then me give away anything. That could be his intellectual property.

I HIGHLY recommend Bruce & Burnt Edges Consulting, I haven't even made it a week into working with Bruce and I am already seeing results in my 9 hole rounds after work. Up until this point the material and discussions that I have had with Bruce has been humbling and floored me on how quick and easily this process has been. I know that the fine tuning of the process and teachings will be a life time goal, but I sure know that it will be a lot easier to prefect my natural tendencies then to force it into a mold. So far the consulting fee has been worth every penny and I can only see that getting more and more worth it from here.

Again Thank you Matt for doing the two write ups you have and tuning me into Bruce.

Been doing the dime drill and I have to say my short putts have been much improved. Went out an got an inexpensive putter that was more in line with what my setup needed. Amazing how doing this seemingly simple drill will show if a putter fits your stroke or not. Haven't had much time to work on distance control yet so long putters are still a bit of an adventure.

Since I have enjoyed the putting excerciese, I need to ask Bruce about the full swing now.

I can't wait to read that one, I am starting to putt better then ever, finally things are starting to click in place as of yesterday. Hope the good results follow today and tomorrow we shall see.

Going to see Bruce for a fitting and lesson this Wednesday! I'm am PUMPED! Many pictures and a long post will follow.

Hope it goes well. Can't wait to hear the details.

So I went out to visit Bruce yesterday. I'm going to "withhold" some of the details here, because I'm planning a blog entry about it, but there are a couple things that really were made clear:

1) Bruce is unbelievably knowledgeable. It's not just about putting either, Bruce gave a me a couple full swing thoughts that have me VERY excited to hit balls ASAP. Putting, short game, full swing, fitting...Bruce knows it all. The best part is that he wants to teach, he wants you to learn, he wants to share. A lot of people know something and horde it. Not Bruce.

2) If you are holding out on signing up for Bruce's consulting because you can't work with him in person...don't. Bruce hooked me up to SAM Puttlab and we collectively realized (well, I realized, Bruce already knew) that everything he told me on the internet was correct. While I would definitely encourage you to visit Bruce in person, don't let the fact that you can't do so keep you from learning more about your game.

More to come...

So I went out to visit Bruce yesterday. I'm going to "withhold" some of the details here, because I'm planning a blog entry about it, but there are a couple things that really were made clear:

Eager to hear more. Where is your blog? I can't find a link to it.

Matt - now I know why you posed the questions you did in the putter fitting thread. Love the detail and logic in Bruce's blog - much to be learned there. Thanks for reviving the thread!

And as my dear departed Dad used to say - knowing "how" is good, but knowing "why" is better because those who know "how" will always work for those who know "why."

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Matt - now I know why you posed the questions you did in the putter fitting thread. Love the detail and logic in Bruce's blog - much to be learned there. Thanks for reviving the thread!

And as my dear departed Dad used to say - knowing "how" is good, but knowing "why" is better because those who know "how" will always work for those who know "why."

:) Yeah, I didn't want to totally threadjack you, but I did want those who read it to think about the "Why."

Bruce said something to me that I really liked (I'm paraphrasing): People say that I get too technical, but knowledge eliminates fear. If someone understands their technique, understands what they're trying to do, they will be better off than the person who doesn't.

For me, Bruce could have told me "You need to use the left hand as the motor of the stroke" and that would have been fine, but he also explained the all-important WHY. Now I understand my stroke, understand the misses, and I'm much better off.

:) Yeah, I didn't want to totally threadjack you, but I did want those who read it to think about the "Why."

Bruce said something to me that I really liked (I'm paraphrasing): People say that I get too technical, but knowledge eliminates fear. If someone understands their technique, understands what they're trying to do, they will be better off than the person who doesn't.

For me, Bruce could have told me "You need to use the left hand as the motor of the stroke" and that would have been fine, but he also explained the all-important WHY. Now I understand my stroke, understand the misses, and I'm much better off.

I really like that quote 'knowledge eliminates fear' that is so true in golf and life for that matter. If you understand it there would be no reason to fear it and you are better off with that knowledge.

Before working with Bruce I can effectively tell you that I knew very little about putting and my stroke, it caused me to try different things that I thought were the proper way for me to putt, turns out I was flat wrong in that thinking.

Now after working with Bruce for some time, we have had large conversations about all aspects of putting and technical details. I find that having the technical details allows for me to mentally paint a picture as to what needs to happen in my stroke. I understand my stroke, I understand my misses and like Matt said am way better off and heading in the right direction with MY putting stroke and WHY it is the right direction.

Archived