Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

My quest to putt better with Burnt Edge Consulting

I have been putting on punched greens that are fast, it is the weirdest thing that I have run across yet. Majority of the time 1/4" punched greens are bumpy and slow, my course has been a bit bumpy but still holding a good pace espesually downhill putts they still roll out a long way.

Still waiting on an update from Matt as I would like to read the 'blog' he is working on writing

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 1 month later...

Matt,

Did you get your blog post together? Wondering if I missed it. Still interested in your face to face experience.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Matt,

Did you get your blog post together? Wondering if I missed it. Still interested in your face to face experience.

It's written, just working on editing it so that it's readable to those who aren't privy to Bruce's teaching. Should be up soon.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 2 weeks later...

So I have some conversation starkers regarding Burnt Edges Consulting.

Bruce and I were talking and he had recently suggested that I could be a candidate for a round putter grip. I just got my SeeMore putter and hated the grip that was on it I made a terrible pick in terms of grips. I was about to leave on a trip up to Ohio over this past weekend to play golf and see family. I decided to go for the round grip instead of playing with the grip I hated.

So i ended up going for 3 wraps of build up under my right hand and 2 more full wraps of build up over that, plus the obvious one double sided strip, I'm using a Start Tour Wrap that has a 0.590 core (same grip as the rest of my set). I putted terribly over the weekend and got my lunch handed to me over 45 holes, lost 19 holes total I won't say how much that hurt my wallet it wasn't that terrible could have been way worse.

I sent Bruce an e-mail the moment that I got home and told him about what happened, I soon realized when he sounded excited in his response that I learned a putting flaw that I had in my stroke. This same flaw was showing up in my full swing as well here lately so it is encouraging to figure out the source of it and how to fix the issue. My putting flaw was a 'steer' so to speak where I was over rotating the putter head through impact. I missed a TON of putts left, to counter this a couple times I opened the face and missed a few putts to the right. It was a pure mess putting at first with a round grip.

Bruce told me to stick to it and do the coin drill so well I decided to accept the advice and give the round grip a little more time in my bag, played 18 holes and worked on the coin drill on Monday at my home course, putted pretty well when I really focused and went through my routine, the lazy step up and stroke it is not there nor do I really want it in my bag, in a tournament i wouldn't half a$$ a putt not sure why I would do it in a round. I played another 9 holes yesterday worked on what I was felling on the coin drill the day before and before the round on the three putts I did hit.

Well yesterday I went low and cracked 40 again only done it 3 times this season on 9 holes, things came together well yesterday exception of a couple silly mistakes. I hit 5 GIR, 5 FIR, 3 of 5 up and downs, one double bogey (poor tee shot), two bogey (bad short game), two birdies (drained a 25 footer on hole 4 downhill left right breaker, fast putt... other one I almost canned for birdie on hole 9 par 5 hit the pin left me 2 feet)... I had a total of 14 putts on bumpy greens (still recovering from a punch 2 weeks ago)

So my question is, how many people have tried a round grip? If you have what was your experience with it?

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I've probably said this before, but I'm a convert to the round putter grip. It actually got rid of the opposite miss for me: I steered a big push right. Now I let the putter rotate naturally.

Well, I guess it is kind of different for me, I have two main tendencies in my swing that can become a fight in trying to go against the grain some days. Today was one of those days where it felt like a heavy weight bout, I knew what I wanted to do but my body wasn't doing it in the full swing. My miss is either a pull (fast shoulders / upper body) or a snap hook (super fast hands) or a combo of both normally one or the other.

With the round grip my full swing fault with fast hands rolling the head shut has pop up nasty in the putting stroke. I picked a spot today on a 15 foot putt, I pulled it so bad the ball missed the mark 6 inches in front of the ball by a foot I had 6 feet left for par left hole high. That by far has to be the worst putt that I think I have hit in years.

I know that Bruce has told me that the flat sided putter grip is a crutch so to speak, but at this point in my game it eliminates one thing that I just won't have to worry about, my putting stroke, I never pulled putts as bad as I do with the round grip, if anything I missed a little right butt see a heck of a lot more putts find the bottom of the cup.

I'll give this a try until my putting grips get here on Friday, but I think I;m not completely abandoning the idea of a round grip but right now it is not going to work for me. If I have to have a putting thought other then line it up and stroke it that is a bad thing imho.

Oh well talk to Bruce get some video of my strokes over to him, he'll get me fixed pretty quickly I'm sure. For every step forward sometimes there are two steps backwards.

• 1 month later...

Matt did you ever post your blog?

Matt did you ever post your blog?

It's been submitted for a bit, but there's just been so much good stuff happening on the blog that it hasn't had a chance to be published yet. Good problem to have, IMO.

Colt said to expect it this week or next.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived