TESTERS WANTED! ×

Round putter grips

Matt Saternus

As a student of Bruce Rearick's (you can track my progress here: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/4799-my-quest-to-putt-better-with-burnt-edge-consulting/ ) I have recently switched to a round putter grip. When I decided to make the switch, I wanted to do so with a top shelf grip, not just another rubber grip, so I contacted Harry at BestGrips.com. Harry informed me that his grips have less taper than most round grips, which is perfect. He was also kind enough to send a couple grips for me to test. I installed one on my current gamer, the Bettinardi SS11, and I absolutely love it. The leather is soft with a slight tackiness that allows me to have a nice loose grip. It will definitely be my putter grip of choice for the foreseeable future.

Moving to the topic of round putter grips in general, you might be asking what the benefit is. The first thing I have noticed is that I can release the putter much more naturally with the round grip. With a standard putter grip, I often felt that I used the flat surface to steer (and often block) the putt. As a result, my miss was short and right.

Additionally, getting rid of the flat surface on the grip removes another straight line input from a round motion. What I mean is that the putting stroke, like any golf swing, is round/curved, not straight. Knowing this, I do not want any straight line inputs (sight lines, flat surfaces on the grip, etc) confusing that point. This isn't the kind of thing that has a tangible benefit such as releasing the putter better, but I do believe that it's important.

What are your thoughts? Have you tried a round grip on a putter? Is it something you might consider?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I had one of Edel's round Takimac grips on my Edel Variloft and it generated a lot of chaos in the putting stroke.

Much happier and more proficient going back to the usual large iomic.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but it felt strange at address to have the round grip and it was one more thing to think about when putting.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I played with a round rubber grip many years ago mostly because the putter grips available to me at that time were hard and slippery. I worked with it for a couple of months but, like Golfspy Dave, I found pointing the putter more mentally demanding and counter productive to a relaxed stroke. I subsequently installed a regular putter grip and scored it with a hacksaw blade so that I was better able to grip and point it.

Shambles

I had one of Edel's round Takimac grips on my Edel Variloft and it generated a lot of chaos in the putting stroke.

Much happier and more proficient going back to the usual large iomic.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but it felt strange at address to have the round grip and it was one more thing to think about when putting.

Interesting. Now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised at how quickly I took to the round grip. I think it's definitely a concept that you have to commit to, and probably give some time. I did get two rounds in with it and found that I was hitting more pulls. Bruce explained that this is a normal reaction because there's no more "steering" which is what I did with a putter grip, just a natural open and close of the putter.

I'll say one thing for round putter grips: it's one of the cheapest putting experiments you can do. :D

• SPY VIP

It is an interesting experiment, but it, like any putter thing, can be difficult to assess. Sometimes changing anything seems to improve results for me. Even changing the headcover for a round or two.

I think that it just breaks up the mental lock for me a bit. Probably why I wander through so many putters as well... The Filthy Byron definitely is sticking in the bag right now though B)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It is an interesting experiment, but it, like any putter thing, can be difficult to assess. Sometimes changing anything seems to improve results for me. Even changing the headcover for a round or two.

I think that it just breaks up the mental lock for me a bit. Probably why I wander through so many putters as well... The Filthy Byron definitely is sticking in the bag right now though B)

There's definitely something to that idea of "breaking the mental lock". I remember a Playing Lessons episode with Geoff Ogilvy where he said that he would occasionally switch putters (same overall style) just to see something different.

I think what's at the heart of my work with Bruce is the desire to end that cycle of "putt well, putt bad, switch something, repeat." I want to understand what my putting stroke is really about, how to fix it, how to assess it, and how to make it better. I can confidently say that after just a few emails, I'm on the road to that, and I think the round grip is part of that future.

I think good putting boils down to nothing more than confidence. Any change you make that increases confidence will produce better results. If you take a putting lesson, no matter what the instruction entails, if it increases confidence, then it will be effective. The challenge is maintaining that increased level of confidence. I don't think any one putter or putter grip has advantages over another as long as you choose a putter and grip that gives you confidence. If there was one best way to putt, everyone would be using it. But since we all use different putters and different methods, the only common element among good putters is confidence. It is that eternal quest for increased confidence that keeps us searching and making adjustments to putt better.

• 2 weeks later...

In October, I installed a new Winn AVS Midsize PCi Triple Line on my 32" Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball putter. I spent a considerable amount of time ensuring that the flat edge was aligned with the face. On the course I could simply keep the back my left hand and my right palm on the line of the putt and focus on speed.

I putted better than ever in my life. The putter became my favorite club and I loved to putt for a change. This played huge role in lowering my handicap. I would have told you I would never change and even bought two more grips so that I could ensure they were availible when I needed to regrip.

Then I injured my back, well document on other posts. I ended up with a 54" Odyssey Mid putter. Extended the shaft myself and spent a few days making sure it was fitted properly. I used old grips taped on to the shaft and went out to the course and practiced with it. Once that was done, I installed a Karakal 21" long grip. Bought it off eBay, knew nothing about it, liked the color, and it was located close enough to me that I could get it the next day. Not the best criteria for a purchase but it was just $20 with freight. You may not believe this but I have wasted more than $20 on golf before, so I gave it a try.

The immediate results were not good. My whole short game has been bad, but it came around this weekend. My buddies have declared me "back" and have increased my quota accordingly. But to the round putter grip.

This weekend I had 24 putts on Saturday, and 26 puts on Sunday. I find that with the round grip I do not focus on my hands anymore. I stand behind the ball and see the line all the way to the back of the cup. Approach the ball, and align the club face with the line, get comfortable and feel I am lined up, and then grip the club firmly with my left hand. This keeps the face from twisting. Then put my right hand on the club and focus on bringing back on the line and then through the ball on the line.

I have notice that on short, delicate putts I use a hacksaw or pencil grip with the right hand. On a longer, firmer stroke I use a regular grip, why? Don't know, that is the way it works out. The right hand to me is the distance hand, and that is all I focus on once I am lined up.

Whatever you are comfortable with is all that matters.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I think good putting boils down to nothing more than confidence.

It's the puttee, not the putter.

The mental side of putting is huge, but having a putter that fits your swing is huge too. Take a given address posture of a person putting. There is a putter with specs that will work with them best. If you put the wrong putter (say the toe hang, weight, length or offset or MOI is wrong for them) they will have to alter something. It could be very minor or the worst case for a few people is the yips when the putter is the wrong design. Selecting a gamer is not 100% mental.

I think the round grip is good for certain rotational requirements and it eliminates putting a grip on slightly off since it's round. A lot of putters are design to sit a hair open, so the traditional grip is not actually put on dead straight. If they are the putter will not rest at address as intended.

I spy with my little eye something...

• 8 years later...

I've spent my entire golfing life (36 Years) trying to get comfortable with flat surface putter grip.  I've tried every size and shape you can get and I've always struggled with pushing putts and with leaving them short.

I saw a test on MGS where different putter grips were tested and noticed that the best face angle and path numbers were using a round grip.  The make percentage was the lowest, but that seemed like an alignment issue to me.  I put a Pure DTX Midsize on my putter, put the laser on the floor and starting putting balls straight down the laser line.  I started testing other round grips and sizes and ended up with a CP2 Pro Jumbo on my putter.

I still grip it like a putter, through the lifeline of the left hand, and let the right hand get comfortable.  Find the line, square the face to the line and hit the center of the putter face.

Never putted better!!!

I had putter fitting years ago that used an Edel cart.  Tried different putter configurations but did not find a putter head I was more comfortable with.  I did end up changing my current putter to a round grip.  With the round grip it seemed more like point and shoot.  Stopped thinking about grip and aim which I believe led to a more natural putting stroke.

I recently changed to an oversize grip.  It seems I am losing some of the natural feel in my hands with my putting and short game.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Dang. Revived this thread from 2011!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Old thread but relevant to me these days.

I just recently decided to switch to a mallet putter but instead of buying a new one I decided to take back the Rife Legend Z I put in my wife’s bag after I tried it out a few years ago. I had shortened it a bit for her so I glued an extension in and prepared to regrip.

Unfortunately, I was out of putter grips so I began to think more about using a round putter grip. I have jumbo, arthritic, non-tapered grips on all my clubs already so I figured why not add it to the 14th club. All of the sudden that mallet that I couldn’t bond with is making every putt for me. First 9 out with it I had only 14 putts, and no 3 putts. It feels so natural to use a round grip I don’t think I’ll ever switch back to an actual flat putter grip.

I suggest everyone give it a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 11 months later...

Edel had University of Mississippi golf team do a study regarding round grips vs non round and aim. The results were very much in favor of the round.

Plenty of reasons this could be the case but in my opinion one reason is the installation. If a flat from grip is off by 1 degree, it's not good. And how many people can tell if their grip is off by a degree. Having installed hundreds of putter grips, it sucks big time trying to get those things dead perfectly straight. In contrast a round grip is ALWAYS installed perfectly straight. 

I started using the round grip on my putter a couple months ago and can't see myself ever going back. The jumbomax STR8 Tech options are outstanding.

• 1 year later...

Anoher thread revival.

I have been going back and forth with a couple Anser putters and grip sizes. I’ve went from a pp58 standard to a pp59, 60, 61 and a 62. Each progression has seemed to fit my hands better and more comfortable but has not improved my putting Incrementally.

I recently switched to a Edel Standard round and it was a tremendous, natural feel and grip. My putting improved but short (2 to 3 footers) my miss is a pull left. I attribute this to my grip style on the round grip, an overlap Vardon like on all other clubs with too much over rotation of my right (dominant) hand, but at least I recognize what I am doing wrong.

So I returned to and focused on the pp59 which I found to be the most comfortable and natural with both thumbs down the flat.
No Bueno! Instantly felt like I was guiding the putter with my hands resulting in more misses of even shorter putts.
Sooooo, back to the Edel. Statistically a round grip has proven to provide better results in aim and alignment. Personal feel is just that.

As of today I have yet to get back on the course but home carpet putting and on my Birdie Ball mat shows promise once again and I’ve committed to the round grip for the remainder of the summer. We’ll see. 

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

18 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Anoher thread revival.

I have been going back and forth with a couple Anser putters and grip sizes. I’ve went from a pp58 standard to a pp59, 60, 61 and a 62. Each progression has seemed to fit my hands better and more comfortable but has not improved my putting Incrementally.

I recently switched to a Edel Standard round and it was a tremendous, natural feel and grip. My putting improved but short (2 to 3 footers) my miss is a pull left. I attribute this to my grip style on the round grip, an overlap Vardon like on all other clubs with too much over rotation of my right (dominant) hand, but at least I recognize what I am doing wrong.

So I returned to and focused on the pp59 which I found to be the most comfortable and natural with both thumbs down the flat.
No Bueno! Instantly felt like I was guiding the putter with my hands resulting in more misses of even shorter putts.
Sooooo, back to the Edel. Statistically a round grip has proven to provide better results in aim and alignment. Personal feel is just that.

As of today I have yet to get back on the course but home carpet putting and on my Birdie Ball mat shows promise once again and I’ve committed to the round grip for the remainder of the summer. We’ll see. 

Glad someone revived this thread. Goes along with some of the things I have been working on lately. I used to be a great putter but honestly the last 5 years or so it has went to crap. Oh I can get hot streaks but I admit it is streaky in general. At one time I putted with a Zing2 SS for over 20 years. Lately it has been full blown experimental searching mode for me. I am a putter Ho some putters I have I would not dream of putting with but keep them around because frankly I like looking at them. I have in the past went with a SS grip claw gripped etc. I decided earlier this week to go back to basics and have been looking at Crenshaw, Faxon and Pavin on U tube. One thing all these great putters have in common is the grip which is a reverse overlap. Now Pavin has a little stronger positioned right hand but other than that they are basically the same. The other day I drug out my original IM=5 Ironmaster. I have had it now for 50 years no joke. It has a lot of sentimental value for me and some pedigree. It has the original round leather wrap grip on it. Because of my sentimental value to it I have kept the grip up. That grip did not come stock but the guy that gave it to me hand wrapped it. It felt pretty good Tuesday with the reverse overlap grip. I have also been experimenting with another putter I have had some 5 years or so which is an Original Standard Bulls Eye. Love the feel of that thing in fact love the feel better than the IM=5. It has what used to be my standard grip which is a Royal Cord standard putter grip. Since reading this I may slip a standard Tour Wrap on the Bulls Eye and try. One thing about it with either of the putters I am at least scaring the hole. Will see tomorrow will probably carry both putters in the Shootout Tomorrow. Will not be able to play today at my course due to a yearly big Ladies Invitational being played but I am helping out and so may sneak some putts in round

I had noticed last week in the Senior Open Jose Maria ( Ollie) was using a standard GP NMDC round on his putter with the logo down. I had made a note to try it myself

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 6/27/2020 at 12:30 PM, deejaid said:

Old thread but relevant to me these days.

I just recently decided to switch to a mallet putter but instead of buying a new one I decided to take back the Rife Legend Z I put in my wife’s bag after I tried it out a few years ago. I had shortened it a bit for her so I glued an extension in and prepared to regrip.

Unfortunately, I was out of putter grips so I began to think more about using a round putter grip. I have jumbo, arthritic, non-tapered grips on all my clubs already so I figured why not add it to the 14th club. All of the sudden that mallet that I couldn’t bond with is making every putt for me. First 9 out with it I had only 14 putts, and no 3 putts. It feels so natural to use a round grip I don’t think I’ll ever switch back to an actual flat putter grip.

I suggest everyone give it a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man wish I had seen this 2 years ago when you posted----- Usually if you do something I take notice and try it---- But then again when you posted it in 2020 that was darn near 2 months to the day after my accident and it was a big effort for me to even move---- I thought in those dark days I was through playing golf

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 7/28/2022 at 9:45 AM, Motoboss said:

Anoher thread revival.

Well Boss the round putter grip did pretty well for me today. I was lucky and found 2 Lamkin leather wrap round grips they do not make anymore in my stash. Put one on the Bulls Eye outstanding feel and I really putted well today. Yep maybe found something time will tell

Edited by BIG STU

G

Awesome! My old original 8813 has the leather wrap grip and the best putting round I ever had was with it. Ya think they were on to something 35/40 years ago! 😉 

Edited by Motoboss

6 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Awesome! My old original 8813 has the leather wrap grip and the best putting round I ever had was with it. Ya think they were on to something 35/40 years ago! 😉 

Yep I think they were---- My IM-5 Ironmaster that I have had for 50 years now (no joke) has a hand wrapped leather grip on it. The guy who gave it to me did the grip himself. It stays in the house and I have always kept that grip oiled up. My one Shootout partner who is an ok guy but does not know or understand jack about golf called my Bulls Eye a putt putt putter. My other partner originally from the UK knows his golf and golf history told him what it was and some of the great players in the past that had won majors with one. Then my sometimes partner saw us on the putting green with it. He reminded me again in front of this guy about the 90 ft eagle putt I made on 17 with it the week before I had my accident. He sorta clammed up then. Our other partner for the day who filled in is from NH and has a condo here. He plays with a set of Cally XR Irons and is putting together a set to leave here in his condo. I had a set of Cally Apex in the shop and had told him last week about them. I brought them to him and he threw them in his bag with his regular sticks to try. Mouthy started again about oh are you going to actually hit those in the event? I looked at him and told him not to worry what was in someone elses bag to worry about what was in his own bag and if he kept making comments about what equipment someone plays I was done playing with him period. He calmmed up tight. I really got my feel back and made some putts with the old Bulls Eye today and mouthy did not say squat. Will see how it does in my regular play next week

Funniest old putter story I have. I used to play in the big Vegas Shootout back in the day ( had backers) and this one old hustler used to putt with an old Northwestern Blade putter like you would find in a beginner set or on a rental rack at a Pitch and Putt course. That thing was raggety and the original round rubber grip was cracked and taped in spots with medical adhesive tape. Drew this old guy on a 9 hole blind draw 10K Captains Choice scramble one afternoon. Now he was no long knocker but from like 150 in he was deadly and downright deadly with that old putter. We won that thing. Famous Poker player and Golf Hustler Doyle Brunson told me that he had won enough money with that raggety SOB putter in the 30 years he knew he had carried it to buy cash money Northwestern Golf company from the Ronasco brothers. Yep never judge a book by its cover

G

On 7/30/2022 at 4:49 PM, Motoboss said:

Yep definetely on to something with the round grip. I have putted good all week with the Bullseye and the round leather grip. Also went back to my instinctive ways of putting. I found I was forcing myself doing the Crenshaw style of reverse overlap. Went to gripping it like I used to with the same overlap I use on all my clubs. Also went back somewhat to an old playbook. One of my old man's cronies could putt lights on any green at any style of grass or any speed. I remembered how he stood sorta open on the left side. I started doing it and realized why he did so. He was a big guy too and yes he putted with the same Bullseye for the 40 years I knew him. I have started relaxing over the putt again with absolutely no tension. I just get the line and make sure the Bullseye is lined up straight on the shaft which is the sweet spot on those. I go ahead and hit it. I am somewhat I feel back to arc stroke like I always did. I do not really think on the mechanics anymore I just think on the ball going in the hole. I may be even wrist popping it some I do not know all I know lately if I do not make a putt I am scaring the hole. 

G

Great stuff!

I have always putted with an open stance, forward foot and hips facing the hole which seems to give me the best view of the hole. I just went through the Ping Virtual Fitting and the fitter said I have an old style “pop” stroke, slow tempo backswing/quicker forward stroke with more of a forward push with my trail hand. I always called it my Mr. Nicklaus method, without the crouch.

The last couple of rounds I got out my old Odyssey Tri-Hot #3 with a round grip on it and have done very well. Yeah, maybe like 4 three putts in 36 holes but have had several one putts to make up for it. Overall pretty happy with the comfortable stroke, grip and stance.

The round grip just seems to remove the tension and affords a natural alignment , grip and stroke.

The Jumbo grip line has a variant that's got very, very little taper to it, the exact name escapes me right now.

I've used a couple of them as round putter grips and they work, for me at least, very, very well.  All the benefits you all have described, reasonable cost, fairly easy to acquire.  Just a fwiw.

I can't imagine going back to any other putter grip profile.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I putted so so today in the Shootout. Bulls Eye felt good. But I went out to the shop while ago and slipped my other Lamkin Leather round wrap on the old dependable rusty Scotty. Will try it Monday

G

I just received a new Garsen grip and LOVE IT! It has three near flat sides and a round bottom at 11 1/2 inches with a great texture. It’s basically has a round midsize profile in a non tapered dimensions, and weighs absolutely nothing. Priced near the SuperStroke grips but with a much better feel.

Garsen Ulitmate Grip

3 hours ago, Motoboss said:

I just received a new Garsen grip and LOVE IT! It has three near flat sides and a round bottom at 11 1/2 inches with a great texture. It’s basically has a round midsize profile in a non tapered dimensions, and weighs absolutely nothing. Priced near the SuperStroke grips but with a much better feel.

Garsen Ulitmate Grip

Wonder how it will hold up durability wise?  The finish and material looks a lot like a Winn grip to me. I had a little cuss fit yesterday afternoon. One of my buds brought a Ping Putter by that he had bought used somewhere and it had a rotted sticky mess of a Winn grip on it. But he had purchased a new PP-58 for it. No joke I put on the surgical rubber gloves and pulled that rotted sticky mess off and installed his new one

G

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Wonder how it will hold up durability wise?  The finish and material looks a lot like a Winn grip to me. I had a little cuss fit yesterday afternoon. One of my buds brought a Ping Putter by that he had bought used somewhere and it had a rotted sticky mess of a Winn grip on it. But he had purchased a new PP-58 for it. No joke I put on the surgical rubber gloves and pulled that rotted sticky mess off and installed his new one

Yeah it is more like a Winn grip material but I typically will change grips out at least every other season. I’m more focused on hand fit than material. Although I really dislike slick, rubber grips.

• 1 year later...

Well here it is again, another revival!

I was fitted, and purchased the Ping PLD Anser and got it with a regular Ping grip +6 wraps. Putted good right out of the box but still felt very “static “ and too locked in with my grip. I switched to an Edel round grip and have not looked back. The ability to have a free hand position along with a fitted Putter has been great.

Needless to say this set up will remain my “go to” for some time to come.

IMG_0865.jpeg