Round putter grips

Matt Saternus

6 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Awesome! My old original 8813 has the leather wrap grip and the best putting round I ever had was with it. Ya think they were on to something 35/40 years ago! 😉 

Yep I think they were---- My IM-5 Ironmaster that I have had for 50 years now (no joke) has a hand wrapped leather grip on it. The guy who gave it to me did the grip himself. It stays in the house and I have always kept that grip oiled up. My one Shootout partner who is an ok guy but does not know or understand jack about golf called my Bulls Eye a putt putt putter. My other partner originally from the UK knows his golf and golf history told him what it was and some of the great players in the past that had won majors with one. Then my sometimes partner saw us on the putting green with it. He reminded me again in front of this guy about the 90 ft eagle putt I made on 17 with it the week before I had my accident. He sorta clammed up then. Our other partner for the day who filled in is from NH and has a condo here. He plays with a set of Cally XR Irons and is putting together a set to leave here in his condo. I had a set of Cally Apex in the shop and had told him last week about them. I brought them to him and he threw them in his bag with his regular sticks to try. Mouthy started again about oh are you going to actually hit those in the event? I looked at him and told him not to worry what was in someone elses bag to worry about what was in his own bag and if he kept making comments about what equipment someone plays I was done playing with him period. He calmmed up tight. I really got my feel back and made some putts with the old Bulls Eye today and mouthy did not say squat. Will see how it does in my regular play next week

Funniest old putter story I have. I used to play in the big Vegas Shootout back in the day ( had backers) and this one old hustler used to putt with an old Northwestern Blade putter like you would find in a beginner set or on a rental rack at a Pitch and Putt course. That thing was raggety and the original round rubber grip was cracked and taped in spots with medical adhesive tape. Drew this old guy on a 9 hole blind draw 10K Captains Choice scramble one afternoon. Now he was no long knocker but from like 150 in he was deadly and downright deadly with that old putter. We won that thing. Famous Poker player and Golf Hustler Doyle Brunson told me that he had won enough money with that raggety SOB putter in the 30 years he knew he had carried it to buy cash money Northwestern Golf company from the Ronasco brothers. Yep never judge a book by its cover

• Like 1

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

On 7/30/2022 at 4:49 PM, Motoboss said:

Awesome! My old original 8813 has the leather wrap grip and the best putting round I ever had was with it. Ya think they were on to something 35/40 years ago! 😉 

Yep definetely on to something with the round grip. I have putted good all week with the Bullseye and the round leather grip. Also went back to my instinctive ways of putting. I found I was forcing myself doing the Crenshaw style of reverse overlap. Went to gripping it like I used to with the same overlap I use on all my clubs. Also went back somewhat to an old playbook. One of my old man's cronies could putt lights on any green at any style of grass or any speed. I remembered how he stood sorta open on the left side. I started doing it and realized why he did so. He was a big guy too and yes he putted with the same Bullseye for the 40 years I knew him. I have started relaxing over the putt again with absolutely no tension. I just get the line and make sure the Bullseye is lined up straight on the shaft which is the sweet spot on those. I go ahead and hit it. I am somewhat I feel back to arc stroke like I always did. I do not really think on the mechanics anymore I just think on the ball going in the hole. I may be even wrist popping it some I do not know all I know lately if I do not make a putt I am scaring the hole. 

• Like 2

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

Great stuff!

I have always putted with an open stance, forward foot and hips facing the hole which seems to give me the best view of the hole. I just went through the Ping Virtual Fitting and the fitter said I have an old style “pop” stroke, slow tempo backswing/quicker forward stroke with more of a forward push with my trail hand. I always called it my Mr. Nicklaus method, without the crouch.

The last couple of rounds I got out my old Odyssey Tri-Hot #3 with a round grip on it and have done very well. Yeah, maybe like 4 three putts in 36 holes but have had several one putts to make up for it. Overall pretty happy with the comfortable stroke, grip and stance.

The round grip just seems to remove the tension and affords a natural alignment , grip and stroke.

• Like 1

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

The Jumbo grip line has a variant that's got very, very little taper to it, the exact name escapes me right now.

I've used a couple of them as round putter grips and they work, for me at least, very, very well.  All the benefits you all have described, reasonable cost, fairly easy to acquire.  Just a fwiw.

I can't imagine going back to any other putter grip profile.

• Like 1

PXG 0211  12*  Paderson Kinetixx A flex

PXG 0211 5 and 7 Woods  Paderson Kinetixx A Flex

PXG 0211 5 and 5 Hybrids  MMT A Flex

Cobra 7 Hybrid  A Flex

PXG 8,9,PW,GW Vista Pro A Flex

Cleveland CBX 54/12

Edel EAS 4 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft

I putted so so today in the Shootout. Bulls Eye felt good. But I went out to the shop while ago and slipped my other Lamkin Leather round wrap on the old dependable rusty Scotty. Will try it Monday

• Like 2

I just received a new Garsen grip and LOVE IT! It has three near flat sides and a round bottom at 11 1/2 inches with a great texture. It’s basically has a round midsize profile in a non tapered dimensions, and weighs absolutely nothing. Priced near the SuperStroke grips but with a much better feel.

Garsen Ulitmate Grip

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Motoboss said:

I just received a new Garsen grip and LOVE IT! It has three near flat sides and a round bottom at 11 1/2 inches with a great texture. It’s basically has a round midsize profile in a non tapered dimensions, and weighs absolutely nothing. Priced near the SuperStroke grips but with a much better feel.

Garsen Ulitmate Grip

Wonder how it will hold up durability wise?  The finish and material looks a lot like a Winn grip to me. I had a little cuss fit yesterday afternoon. One of my buds brought a Ping Putter by that he had bought used somewhere and it had a rotted sticky mess of a Winn grip on it. But he had purchased a new PP-58 for it. No joke I put on the surgical rubber gloves and pulled that rotted sticky mess off and installed his new one

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Wonder how it will hold up durability wise?  The finish and material looks a lot like a Winn grip to me. I had a little cuss fit yesterday afternoon. One of my buds brought a Ping Putter by that he had bought used somewhere and it had a rotted sticky mess of a Winn grip on it. But he had purchased a new PP-58 for it. No joke I put on the surgical rubber gloves and pulled that rotted sticky mess off and installed his new one

Yeah it is more like a Winn grip material but I typically will change grips out at least every other season. I’m more focused on hand fit than material. Although I really dislike slick, rubber grips.

• Like 1