Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Launch Monitors and more

GolfSpy_APH

This came up in our Rapsodo review that we just finished up linked here: 

But the question we were asking is what exactly are we looking for in a launch monitor?  Of course this varies golfer to golfer and their situation, but with so many options what are your preferences? What is a reasonable budget that you would put towards one (if you haven't already) as well as what are the numbers/data points that would be most important to you?

With options ranging from PRGR at $150 or so to GC Quad at how many thousand, to the Garmin R10, SkyCaddie SC series, new bushnell/foresight GC3, Full Swing which was featured on the blog site along with Rapsodo and the list keeps going there are so many options. Many have their short comings, whether it be spin rates or just being too expensive there will always be benefits and pitfalls to certain devices, so again for you what would make the perfect device and at what price?

For me personally I think GC3 is that device. At the moment it is a little outside of how much I can fork out, but given its a Camera based system not radar gives a ton of benefits in my eyes. Add in the software that comes with it I think they really did hit a sweet spot. However 6k is a lot to fork out. If I had a little more space (my next place certainly will) it would be a no brainer. I feel the use and benefits would easily pay for itself given the data points are more trusted then several others and personally I don't want to go with a subscription based service where I would then feel obligated to get X amount of use each year. Add in outside of updating software to get better graphics and such there isn't much more I really could ask for? Therefore I think it would be a good long term investment. 

Now if you only wanted swingspeed or maybe ballspeed saving the extra $5850 for PRGR makes a lot more sense. In any case where is your sweet spot and do you think there will be any big prices dips coming or innovations that will help change the market?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• 3 months later...

I just found out about the launch monitor by Full Swing. I’m very intrigued. It’s only $4K/$195 per mo with financing. I currently pay $195/mo to be a member at an indoor range that uses full swing. I love my indoor spot because it’s by appointment so I never have to deal with crowds and it’s climate controlled. I love being able to hit my TP5X balls. The downside is that short game is so hard to judge. The depth perception just isn’t there with the graphics. I think the launch monitor outdoors has the advantage there. But I’d have to hit s***** range balls on full swings. And the course nearest to me is ALWAYS packed. If I go after work the wait is at least 30 mins, plus the traffic is hell. 

What I think separates the FS launch monitor from others is the data it produces. Obviously it has the basics like carry and spin, but the main things I care about are club path, club face, and club head speed. Angle of attack is included too but I’m not good enough to worry about that too much. It also comes with HD video recording.

What REALLY sold me though, was that Tiger uses it. He’s probably the most particular and meticulous golfer I know of, so if it’s accurate enough for him, it’s definitely good enough for me.

(Side note: one of my fav Tiger stories from the Armen Keteyian biography, was when Tiger was able to detect a manufacturing flaw in some drivers Nike sent him. One was accidentally heavier and the Nike reps thought he was crazy. But when they weighed all the drivers, there was one that was a couple grams heavier!)

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS with Autoflex X-stiff 

3-Wood: :ping-small: 425 Max w/ KBS TD 60

Irons: :taylormade-small:P790 w/ X-stiff True Temper DG 105

Hybrids::taylormade-small: DHY Utility Irons 4 & 5

Wedges::taylormade-small: MG3 w/ KBS Black Wedge Shaft (50, 54,58)

Putter: Cure RX5 w/ P2 React Grip

• 1 month later...

I found a skytrak I will hopefully take possession of on Monday. Can't wait to start building my simulator in the basement.  I have a 50" TV to start but hope to move to a protector shortly after my birthday (hint,  hint to my loving wife).

Any advice from skytrak users? 

Scratch all that.  It turned out to be just someone trying to scam people on Craigslist.  🙄

Edited by Bill Akins

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 15.5° 3/F Baffler Rail F

Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra RAD Speed 21° 4 Hybrid

Cobra RAD Speed 24° 5 Hybrid 

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra Aero Jet 5 - PW, GW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Bag: 1622150773421.jpg.867df9e5987ee9b79cc36f4c70090b01.jpg Big Max 14.0 Hybrid

Ball: :titleist-small: Titleist Velocity

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

On 3/10/2022 at 6:00 PM, jfull1914 said:

I just found out about the launch monitor by Full Swing. I’m very intrigued. It’s only $4K/$195 per mo with financing. I currently pay $195/mo to be a member at an indoor range that uses full swing. I love my indoor spot because it’s by appointment so I never have to deal with crowds and it’s climate controlled. I love being able to hit my TP5X balls. The downside is that short game is so hard to judge. The depth perception just isn’t there with the graphics. I think the launch monitor outdoors has the advantage there. But I’d have to hit s***** range balls on full swings. And the course nearest to me is ALWAYS packed. If I go after work the wait is at least 30 mins, plus the traffic is hell. 

What I think separates the FS launch monitor from others is the data it produces. Obviously it has the basics like carry and spin, but the main things I care about are club path, club face, and club head speed. Angle of attack is included too but I’m not good enough to worry about that too much. It also comes with HD video recording.

What REALLY sold me though, was that Tiger uses it. He’s probably the most particular and meticulous golfer I know of, so if it’s accurate enough for him, it’s definitely good enough for me.

(Side note: one of my fav Tiger stories from the Armen Keteyian biography, was when Tiger was able to detect a manufacturing flaw in some drivers Nike sent him. One was accidentally heavier and the Nike reps thought he was crazy. But when they weighed all the drivers, there was one that was a couple grams heavier!)

A tour van guy once shared the story of Raymond Floyd complaining that a grip didn’t feel right. Turned out that Floyd liked a certain number of wraps of tape and the club in question was off by one wrap. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS