New Driver for beginner

Jay412

Most people taking up the game of golf slice the ball; if you don't, consider yourself lucky... even if you hook the ball (hooks are easier to fix).  The problem is that instead of seeking out a professional to identify what is causing the slice for YOU, most golfers look for quick fixes to not slice anymore.  That was me years ago.  There are many reasons why we slice.  The problem is that we don't know the root cause of OUR slice, and any "fix" will could make things worse.  A quick fix can lead to other compensations in order to make halfway decent ball contact.  Lessons on setup, backswing and transition are needed, drills to feel the proper movements, and lots of practice to replace our old bad habits and engrain those proper movements.  Change feels awkward.  If it doesn't, you haven't changed anything, and it takes time for the change to not feel awkward.  

Getting a new driver to replace an old driver won't change your swing.  It's not a magic bullet.  If you don't have a driver, a quality used driver that's a few years old will save money and provide the same experience as a brand new driver... hopefully a fun experience!

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great advice given so far.  Technology doesn't change all that much in drivers every year (despite what the latest marketing  push would have you believe), so a five year old driver will not be dramatically shorter or dramatically less forgiving than the brand new models.  For instance, the G400 Max was pushing the limits of MOI when it came out (I believe it was ~2018), so the incremental changes to get ever-closer to that limit will NOT make a world of difference as far as forgiveness.  Finding fairways is MUCH more important than an extra few yards!

• Like 1

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- but a bit less so with my recent change from a PING driver

:titelist-small: - TSi2 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Raw Blue 55 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL and Tracked by :ShotScope: - V3

In addition to the Tour Edge DTC brand noted above, I recently swapped out my Ping G410+ for a Sub70 849 Pro that I reviewed.  I have given up nothing in distance or accuracy and the Sub70 new price will be close to a used Ping.

• Like 1

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 3 weeks later...

These guys are all giving you good thoughts.

Callaway Pre-owned has a lefty G400 listed for $284......

I'm a 70 yo golfer who has at least 75 clubs, cuz I love to tinker.

So start your collection now.

Good Luck and have fun 

• Like 1