TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hot vs. Cold Golf Balls Cont.

Londo

I thought that the last lab on MGS was interesting and thought that the results were about what I would expect. However, now I am more curious about how prolonged exposure during storage (days, months, year+) of heat/cold would affect the play of golf ball. Does anyone have any experience playing/hitting balls that were stored at high or low temps for a period? Was there a noticeable difference?

I have not experienced a difference as long as they were brought back inside to a good temperature for a period of time before play. Have also seen how the colder weather throughout a round can start to have a significant impact on the ball as the round progresses! Pretty crazy for just a short period of time.

Driver: Titleist TS2

3 Wood: Titleist 915f

1 Iron: Titleist U510

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Portland

My bag stays in my trunk all summer. I've never had an issue playing balls that sat in the heat for months. Though Ohio doesn't get as hot as most places, we can have summer days well into the mid-90s. As far as cold goes, I think the lab info is unsurprising. Cold balls don't go as far...duh. All my equipment gets moved into the house once the season ends.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Nothing quantifiable on my end, but at least anecdotally, I notice that in the cold, my distances are more consistent if I rotate balls between holes. I always keep one in my pocket, so on the tee of the next hole, it's warmer than the ball I just finished the last hole with, which then goes in the pocket to warm up a bit. I'm sure it's only a degree or two that the ball changes in such a short amount of time, but it's a game of inches, amiright? I also wonder if golf balls might run into any issues over time due to expansion and contraction? I'm thinking about barrels of whiskey (bc of course) and how the air temp changes how the whiskey goes in and out of the staves of the barrel and wondering if the frequent changes in temperature would affect a golf ball. (Maybe not so much, now that we're in the solid core era?)

In the summer, it's pretty easy to notice how the weather affects the ball (and the flight!) -- hot, arid days? bombs. That is one thing missing from this particular study that would be interesting to see with Trackman (since Quad couldn't do it) - "How does relative air temp and/or humidity affect flight?" 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

14 minutes ago, greggarner said:

Nothing quantifiable on my end, but at least anecdotally, I notice that in the cold, my distances are more consistent if I rotate balls between holes. I always keep one in my pocket, so on the tee of the next hole, it's warmer than the ball I just finished the last hole with, which then goes in the pocket to warm up a bit. I'm sure it's only a degree or two that the ball changes in such a short amount of time, but it's a game of inches, amiright? I also wonder if golf balls might run into any issues over time due to expansion and contraction? I'm thinking about barrels of whiskey (bc of course) and how the air temp changes how the whiskey goes in and out of the staves of the barrel and wondering if the frequent changes in temperature would affect a golf ball. (Maybe not so much, now that we're in the solid core era?)

In the summer, it's pretty easy to notice how the weather affects the ball (and the flight!) -- hot, arid days? bombs. That is one thing missing from this particular study that would be interesting to see with Trackman (since Quad couldn't do it) - "How does relative air temp and/or humidity affect flight?" 

I'm stealing the winter pocket technique from you Greg 😂 my guess is that there probably isn't much to expansion and contraction unless its more extreme temps and happening a number of times. I would love to see data on ball flight with those variables as well!