TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade Stealth Drivers

BodeenJCS

34 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Definitely agree that launch and peak height isn't high enough.    On one of the latest TXG videos,  Ian made an interesting statement:  for most amateurs (those that don't have high swing speeds) peak height should be around 6 iron ball speed.   For high swing speed players height should match driver ball speed.  

ball speed or clubhead speed??  I don't think I can hit my driver 150' in the air without teeing it up 12" !!   🤔

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

3 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

ball speed or clubhead speed??  I don't think I can hit my driver 150' in the air without teeing it up 12" !!   🤔

sorry,  I was wrong it is clubhead speed.   He talks about it starting at 16:30

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I've found some numbers from my last range session using Top Tracer, I don't know if they help? I've mostly used 9deg loft or lower but this time I've bought a Stealth 12deg thinking I can reduce the loft to 10deg, before I added lead tape the driver felt very light but pleased with the feel after adding lead tape. Really appreciate your advice, cheers Colin

PS, this is a better shot, launch angle is around 19 with Stealth...

PPs, these numbers are with a Sim 9deg I hit outa my arse lol...

IMG_20220530_121922.png

At 138 ball speed launch is your friend and is spin. However as mentioned above by others you aren’t hitting the ball high at all and your land angle is very low. 18m is about 1/2 as high as you would want to hit the ball. 

Spin, dynamic loft, aoa, path are also key aspects to determining what’s happening in the swing. Top tracer isn’t the most reliable or accurate monitor. 

You need to find a reputable fitter and probably an instructor and work on your swing and find a club that lets you hit the ball higher.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 4/13/2022 at 4:28 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Oh, I'm not yet.  It's still early only 2 full rounds.  It was discouraging as I had several thin shots for the first two thirds of the round, and got away a bit with them, but still not great results.   

But the last 4 holes, I hit 9, 7, 7 and 5 irons into the greens.  All 4 were about as well as I coule hit them and they felt amazing and best of all had a great flight and held the target line pefectly.   I was +2 on those 4 holes.  Mainly due to havign to pitch out to go around a tree on hole 18, before hitting the 5 iron to the back of the green from 155.  

So they will get some more time, I'll just try and ignore those shiny Stealths for a bit..haSSo

So a similar but slightly different thought from me.  My miss (with any driver) has always tended to be more heel slde.  Yet I never really thought about adjusting how I line up to the ball.   Yesterday after some experimenting on the range, I set up with the balll more lined up on the toe, than the center.  and a slightly open face.   I think that along with the confidence to swing more freely toward (right field) may have led to more center or near center face strikes.  I probably should have looked at the impact position after each shot, but as others have said, it's not as easily detected on the Carobn face.   Unlike some who say every shot with that face leaves an indention...ha   Whoops that's another thread...ha

All of this - After reading the posts related to this (Thank you for starting it @chisag as I believe it was you), I tried the 5 mm out and even tried it a bit further over the past few weeks and the results w/my Stealth Plus were game changing...

Lost my left to right curve, much longer, more baby fade-like. Nice!!

Thank you!!!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

FYI. The stock Ventus shaft is not the pro model and is made of different materials. If you want the real one the cost is an additional $350-$400.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

51 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

FYI. The stock Ventus shaft is not the pro model and is made of different materials. If you want the real one the cost is an additional $350-$400.

Been the case for the last two releases and also applies to tour edge made for and the Callaway one.

Also doesn’t mean that these versions are bad and there’s been quite a few members here and elsewhere that have had better results with the made for version that’s the aftermarket one

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 5/30/2022 at 1:18 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Those numbers indicate you are not hitting the ball vey high let alone too high.

All the below depends on swing speed as well.  But based on your distances I’m assuming your swing speed isn’t much above 100 with driver  

Launch should be 15-17 and   18 meters= about 69 feet.  That’s vey low for a driver.   Landing angle of 28* is very low as well.  Most should be looking for at least 75-80 (ideally 100) feet in height and mid to high 30’s on landing angle.   Granted your low launch could give you run out.  But it’s often better to rely on carry for distance. 

I've been told I hit the ball high for as long as I can remember, obviously with my health issues that's no longer true. So back to the drawing board, based on these numbers what characteristics should I look for in a driver shaft? Any suggestions appreciated...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

22 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

At 138 ball speed launch is your friend and is spin. However as mentioned above by others you aren’t hitting the ball high at all and your land angle is very low. 18m is about 1/2 as high as you would want to hit the ball. 

Spin, dynamic loft, aoa, path are also key aspects to determining what’s happening in the swing. Top tracer isn’t the most reliable or accurate monitor. 

You need to find a reputable fitter and probably an instructor and work on your swing and find a club that lets you hit the ball higher.

No decent fitters here I've looked, what shaft would you suggest?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

53 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

No decent fitters here I've looked, what shaft would you suggest?

Not suggesting any shaft. It’s almost impossible to suggest a shaft for several reasons. 1) shaft doesn’t have nearly the effect most people think 2) there’s a bunch of data lacking 3) it’s probably more of a swing issue than a shaft or head issue 4) a shaft that works for one person might not work for another and would be almost impossible to say what shaft or a small list of shafts would work for anyone since feel is going to be different for each person and no idea how it will affect one’s swing good or bad

Prodrive and gold warehouse both offer fittings. They would be a better place to start than random suggestions from anyone on the forum. 

Another option would be truegolffit.com

7 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I've been told I hit the ball high for as long as I can remember, obviously with my health issues that's no longer true. So back to the drawing board, based on these numbers what characteristics should I look for in a driver shaft? Any suggestions appreciated...

Just like @RickyBobby_PR said, recoomdenidng a shaft for you would not be the best advise we cna offer.   Two things, I would do, if you can get fit in person definitely do the True Golf Fit  you can enter your basic info or the expert if you have all the swing data, which you probably dont'.    It was being offered free a couple weeks ago, even if that expired the $8.00 or $9.00 it charges is a wise spend. 

Also watch this video, it's one of the best that Ian and Matt did, and shows that you can't simply go by the high/low launch shafts that companies market them as.   As RB said, many factors go into it, clubhead, loft, swing dynamics etc.   But the comparision puts in black and white how just simply the shaft alone,  doesn't make a high or low ball flight.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Also watch this video, it's one of the best that Ian and Matt did, and shows that you can't simply go by the high/low launch shafts that companies market them as.   As RB said, many factors go into it, clubhead, loft, swing dynamics etc.   But the comparision puts in black and white how just simply the shaft alone,  doesn't make a high or low ball flight.

... Love Ian's video's! Not quote sure about this one though. The soft tipped shaft was clearly being struck very low on the face which usually reduces spin and trajectory. If Shawn had more time or they dialed in the contact point there is a good chance spin and trajectory would both be higher. The stiffer tipped shaft most likely did not kick as much through impact and produced center strikes but they never showed the contact point with the stiffer shaft? All that said the end result was the stiffer tipped shaft launched higher with more spin and there is no way to know if Shawn could make better contact with the softer tip. So to you guys and the video's point, I agree you can't choose just by a marketing label. 

... I would also add how you swing can make a big difference as well. Having just gone through 3 different fittings and the last one a full hour just to dial in a driver shaft the differences were pretty apparent. I have a smooth swing around 95 mph that can get higher but usually right around that number. Taking a normal swing what is marketed as a mid bend mid spin mid trajectory shaft worked best every time. When swinging a stiffer tip I naturally adjusted to swinging harder (not faster) to get the feel I like because the shaft did not feel like it was releasing through impact and for me produced a slightly lower trajectory. Not night and day just a little bit lower. Swing a softer tip shaft I immediately changed my delivery just slightly by de-lofting the head holding off my release just a little because the shaft felt a little too active and after the first drive that was a little higher, the subsequent drives were actually lower. A stronger hitter with the same swing speed would most likely find a completely different result. Michael Newtons excellent video below is very informative. 

... My swing adjustments were subconscious and while I could tell they weren't my best swings I was trying to swing as normal as possible. My fitter was as good as it gets and he would tell me exactly what I did after 2/3 swings and take the shaft away and install one he knew I would swing well, then alternate with one he just wanted to see how I would handle it. Then after taking notes of all the ones that produced the best numbers and my best swings, he had me hit them all again to narrow it to the best. Everyone of those had a similar profile. As a side not one of the best was the stock RCH 55 that was very close in performance to the new Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 55 and Graphite Design AD-IZ6 although both had a slightly better feel, but I could play the RCH 55 and be very happy. 

... I am a lifelong shaft ho and I still learned some new things at this last fitting. It is probably at least my 20th and I just can't recommend getting fit highly enough. Many area's have free Demo Days and while not as detailed as a private fitting, they are still pretty accurate and will certainly get you in the right ball park. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Love Ian's video's! Not quote sure about this one though. The soft tipped shaft was clearly being struck low on the face which usually reduces spin and trajectory. If Shawn had more time or they dialed in the contact point there is a good chance spin and trajectory would both be higher. The stiffer tipped shaft most likely did not kick as much through impact and produced center strikes but they never showed the contact point with the stiffer shaft? All that said the end result was the stiffer tipped shaft launched higher with more spin and there is no way to know if Shawn could make better contact with the softer tip. So to you guys and the video's point, I agree you can't choose just by a marketing label. 

... I would also add how you swing can make a big difference as well. Having just gone through 3 different fittings and the last one a full hour just to dial in a driver shaft the differences were pretty apparent. I have a smooth swing around 95 mph that can get higher but usually right around that number. Taking a normal swing what is marketed as a mid bend mid spin mid trajectory shaft worked best every time. When swinging a stiffer tip I naturally adjusted to swinging harder (not faster) to get the feel I like because the shaft did not feel like it was releasing through impact and for me produced a slightly lower trajectory. Not night and day just a little bit lower. Swing a softer tip shaft I immediately changed my delivery just slightly by de-lofting the head holding off my release just a little because the shaft felt a little too active and after the first drive that was a little higher, the subsequent drives were actually lower. A stronger hitter with the same swing speed would most likely find a completely different result. Michael Newtons excellent video below is very informative. 

... My swing adjustments were subconscious and while I could tell they weren't my best swings I was trying to swing as normal as possible. My fitter was as good as it gets and he would tell me exactly what I did after 2/3 swings and take the shaft away and install one he knew I would swing well, then alternate with one he just wanted to see how I would handle it. Then after taking notes of all the ones that produced the best numbers and my best swings, he had me hit them all again to narrow it to the best. Everyone of those had a similar profile. As a side not one of the best was the stock RCH 55 that was very close in performance to the new Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 55 and Graphite Design AD-IZ6 although both had a slightly better feel, but I could play the RCH 55 and be very happy. 

... I am a lifelong shaft ho and I still learned some new things at this last fitting. It is probably at least my 20th and I just can't recommend getting fit highly enough. Many area's have free Demo Days and while not as detailed as a private fitting, they are still pretty accurate and will certainly get you in the right ball park. 

Lower strike = more spin

Higher strike = less spin

10 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Love Ian's video's! Not quote sure about this one though. The soft tipped shaft was clearly being struck low on the face which usually reduces spin and trajectory. If Shawn had more time or they dialed in the contact point there is a good chance spin and trajectory would both be higher. The stiffer tipped shaft most likely did not kick as much through impact and produced center strikes but they never showed the contact point with the stiffer shaft? All that said the end result was the stiffer tipped shaft launched higher with more spin and there is no way to know if Shawn could make better contact with the softer tip. So to you guys and the video's point, I agree you can't choose just by a marketing label. 

Chi...I compltely posted the wrong video from the one I watched.  I guess he did a couple of these.  I didn't watch the one with shawn that I posted in error. 

I just posted the one with Matt.   

58 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I am a lifelong shaft ho and I still learned some new things at this last fitting. It is probably at least my 20th and I just can't recommend getting fit highly enough.

Exactly why anyone coming on a forum asking what shaft whether it’s profile like low/low, flex or any other category is going to get a bunch of answers and why nobody can say shaft X will be best.

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Exactly why anyone coming on a forum asking what shaft whether it’s profile like low/low, flex or any other category is going to get a bunch of answers and why nobody can say shaft X will be best.

I'll tell you why, I've done the truefitgolf app got two choices. Srixon zx7 with reg shaft and Wilson D9 with reg shaft, But no mention of Loft so wonder how accurate that is, or is loft hidden somewhere? No idea...

8 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I'll tell you why, I've done the truefitgolf app got two choices. Srixon zx7 with reg shaft and Wilson D9 with reg shaft, But no mention of Loft so wonder how accurate that is, or is loft hidden somewhere? No idea...

The loft should be visible on the driver head in each pic. 

As for accuracy it’s going to be more accurate with the more data you provide. While it won’t be as accurate as an in person fitting with someone who can get your feedback on clubs, see launch monitor numbers and possibly watch ball flight if outdoors and can use all of that to make adjustments to head style, loft, adapter setting and shafts, it’s going to be a better guess than the random answers from the members here which will end up being a lot of experimenting and could be costly and you may still not find any improvement from those suggestions.

37 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

I can’t be sure on the zx7 but 8-9 loft?? D9 nothing.. Can you guess?

35A11A78-7864-4680-B5F0-401570ABEBA8.jpeg

4E245703-6095-46FF-AFAC-2FECACD560BD.jpeg

9.5 for the zx7 and 10.5 for the d9

1 hour ago, Bang60 said:

I think those are just stock pictures and don't reflect the loft you would need.   You would need to hit the club to identify the loft that gives you the correct launch conditions. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

9.5 for the zx7 and 10.5 for the d9

Ahhh, you got better eyes than me. Thanks...

Are they New drivers, I'm thinking old because no adapters?

6 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Those are the current drivers for both companies.  

The Srixon does have an adjustable loft sleeve.  The Wilson is a glued hosel as it’s a lower level price line, than some of the other current models out there. 

7 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I know why lofts they offer so it’s easy to tell but all one has to do is go to the website of each company to see the lofts offered as well as whether they are new or not or if the have adapters or not.

Some brands offer both adjustable and non adjustable clubs. 

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

I think those are just stock pictures and don't reflect the loft you would need.   You would need to hit the club to identify the loft that gives you the correct launch conditions. 

Right, still too many variables so none the wiser except I have a Tensei Red shaft to match the one suggested except it's Stiff not reg. But it's only 60grams so I'm going to try it out maybe it'll be ok...

On 6/1/2022 at 7:44 PM, Bang60 said:

35A11A78-7864-4680-B5F0-401570ABEBA8.jpeg

4E245703-6095-46FF-AFAC-2FECACD560BD.jpeg

If you click on the buy it now feature, the club they are recommending with come up with the loft. You can just back out and not purchase it.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

8 hours ago, GaDawg said:

If you click on the buy it now feature, the club they are recommending with come up with the loft. You can just back out and not purchase it.

Strange thing is I tried the buy now but it didn't do anything, so I might try again?

11 hours ago, GaDawg said:

I tried it and this doesn’t seem to work as you indicated.   One of my recommendations went to the default Callaway order screen and the other went to global golf with a configuration that did not match what was recommended. 

4 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Strange thing is I tried the buy now but it didn't do anything, so I might try again?

I don't know, but it worked for me.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Hit my 12deg Stealth quite well today, getting good height on the course but didn't use my Rapsodo launch monitor so don't know how high. Carry seems a little more than in the nets and windy with softer ground, it was brilliant to actually play 18 holes after not playing since March 2021. Two picks I had to take because they confirm two things I'm doing good lol.. On a par 3 in one and my duvet hitting into a green..

IMG_20220604_214925.jpg

IMG_20220604_214844.jpg