Jump to content

Taylormade Stealth Drivers


BodeenJCS
 Share

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:
Had a really good day with the Stealth yesterday, 10/14 fairways, and one of the 4 misses was just a dumb attempt on my part...ha
 

Really starting to get the feel with this driver, my normal drives are 210 to 215, yeah i'm old and slow. But had drives of 235 and 245 yesterday. I think a big part of it, is for some reason, I have learned to release this driver more than my previous one. I just feel so confident that it is going to be in play, it has freed up my swing and probably gained a few more mph as a result.

Loving the height I'm getting on it as well.
 
I had been holding off on the irons, as I had already bought a new set this year, but I'm thinking I might need to go ahaead and round out this bag!
 

TM STealth Bag Pic.jpg

Dont give up on those D9's yet!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

  1

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:
Had a really good day with the Stealth yesterday, 10/14 fairways, and one of the 4 misses was just a dumb attempt on my part...ha
 

Really starting to get the feel with this driver, my normal drives are 210 to 215, yeah i'm old and slow. But had drives of 235 and 245 yesterday. I think a big part of it, is for some reason, I have learned to release this driver more than my previous one. I just feel so confident that it is going to be in play, it has freed up my swing and probably gained a few more mph as a result.

Loving the height I'm getting on it as well.
 

 

... Played with a guy using the Stealth Plus yesterday and after a fitting at True Spec with someone he has worked with before, he shared some info. I am going to assume this was for his swing specifically but they moved the weight toward the toe and the fitter said the head works best when hit slightly toe side not in the center. He said his first few weeks were a little rough until he started hitting it consistently more toward the toe and he was killing it yesterday. Early 60's and consistently 280ish with a mid trajectory that works well on hard fast Phoenix fairways. 

... Not sure I buy into the "center is not center but more toward the toe" philosophy but I can't argue with this guys results and thought you guys might find it interesting. 

  • Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

I am going to assume this was for his swing specifically but they moved the weight toward the toe and the fitter said the head works best when hit slightly toe side not in the center.

This has been the case for many drivers and especially TaylorMade. The hot spot on the driver is slightly above center and towards the top. See the circle in the photo. Slightly above that is good too

B2B7FE5B-8AF7-4BC5-8AD0-5D8E8613DFEE.jpeg

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... Played with a guy using the Stealth Plus yesterday and after a fitting at True Spec with someone he has worked with before, he shared some info. I am going to assume this was for his swing specifically but they moved the weight toward the toe and the fitter said the head works best when hit slightly toe side not in the center. He said his first few weeks were a little rough until he started hitting it consistently more toward the toe and he was killing it yesterday. Early 60's and consistently 280ish with a mid trajectory that works well on hard fast Phoenix fairways. 

... Not sure I buy into the "center is not center but more toward the toe" philosophy but I can't argue with this guys results and thought you guys might find it interesting. 

Adam Young said in podcast I listened to this week that 5mm high and 5mm towards the toe provided the best spin launch combo. Bulge & roll etc etc...

  • Like 3

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

Dont give up on those D9's yet!!

Oh, I'm not yet.  It's still early only 2 full rounds.  It was discouraging as I had several thin shots for the first two thirds of the round, and got away a bit with them, but still not great results.   

But the last 4 holes, I hit 9, 7, 7 and 5 irons into the greens.  All 4 were about as well as I coule hit them and they felt amazing and best of all had a great flight and held the target line pefectly.   I was +2 on those 4 holes.  Mainly due to havign to pitch out to go around a tree on hole 18, before hitting the 5 iron to the back of the green from 155.  

So they will get some more time, I'll just try and ignore those shiny Stealths for a bit..haSSo

37 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... Played with a guy using the Stealth Plus yesterday and after a fitting at True Spec with someone he has worked with before, he shared some info. I am going to assume this was for his swing specifically but they moved the weight toward the toe and the fitter said the head works best when hit slightly toe side not in the center. He said his first few weeks were a little rough until he started hitting it consistently more toward the toe and he was killing it yesterday. Early 60's and consistently 280ish with a mid trajectory that works well on hard fast Phoenix fairways. 

... Not sure I buy into the "center is not center but more toward the toe" philosophy but I can't argue with this guys results and thought you guys might find it interesting. 

So a similar but slightly different thought from me.  My miss (with any driver) has always tended to be more heel slde.  Yet I never really thought about adjusting how I line up to the ball.   Yesterday after some experimenting on the range, I set up with the balll more lined up on the toe, than the center.  and a slightly open face.   I think that along with the confidence to swing more freely toward (right field) may have led to more center or near center face strikes.  I probably should have looked at the impact position after each shot, but as others have said, it's not as easily detected on the Carobn face.   Unlike some who say every shot with that face leaves an indention...ha   Whoops that's another thread...ha

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought just the Stealth head and kept my current shaft. I did not see a huge difference in any direction from my Sim but I did love matte black finish and the feel at impact.  Wouldn't mind giving the 3 wood a try

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Oh, I'm not yet.  It's still early only 2 full rounds.  It was discouraging as I had several thin shots for the first two thirds of the round, and got away a bit with them, but still not great results.   

But the last 4 holes, I hit 9, 7, 7 and 5 irons into the greens.  All 4 were about as well as I coule hit them and they felt amazing and best of all had a great flight and held the target line pefectly.   I was +2 on those 4 holes.  Mainly due to havign to pitch out to go around a tree on hole 18, before hitting the 5 iron to the back of the green from 155.  

So they will get some more time, I'll just try and ignore those shiny Stealths for a bit..haSSo

So a similar but slightly different thought from me.  My miss (with any driver) has always tended to be more heel slde.  Yet I never really thought about adjusting how I line up to the ball.   Yesterday after some experimenting on the range, I set up with the balll more lined up on the toe, than the center.  and a slightly open face.   I think that along with the confidence to swing more freely toward (right field) may have led to more center or near center face strikes.  I probably should have looked at the impact position after each shot, but as others have said, it's not as easily detected on the Carobn face.   Unlike some who say every shot with that face leaves an indention...ha   Whoops that's another thread...ha

 

one of my favorite things about Cobra's milled face is that it always left a good mark where it was hit, almost didn't need any athlete's foot spray at the range!

I too often favored the heel of the driver.  I started setting up with the ball on the toe when soled on the ground.  Worked wonders for me.  Probably helped me ensure a more consistent set up too.

  • Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

one of my favorite things about Cobra's milled face is that it always left a good mark where it was hit, almost didn't need any athlete's foot spray at the range!

I too often favored the heel of the driver.  I started setting up with the ball on the toe when soled on the ground.  Worked wonders for me.  Probably helped me ensure a more consistent set up too.

Yep.  Agree 100% on the milled face of my LTDX, it’s very clear where contact was made.  But easily wiped off. 

  • Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I won the Stealth Plus+ in a giveaway but ended up trading it in for the regular Stealth bc the spin was too low. It was around 1500rpm for me. But I LOVE the feel of the stealth at impact. Only have 1 rd with it but every shot felt like butter. On a small sample size, It’s abt 5yds longer than my M6. That was not on my home course either so I’ll be interested in seeing how it rolls there. 

  • Like 3

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

  • Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a coach and fitter and just going to toss this out there: Of the 20-30 fittings I've done over the last month, only 2-3 times has the Stealth driver outperformed the others. Oftentimes, its been the shortest!

It may be the right driver for you and maybe not.

Go get fit and hit a bunch of different brands to see which works best with your authentic swing.

  • Like 2

Driver: Callaway Rogue

3-wood: Callaway Epic

3, 4 and 5 hybrids: 2018 TaylorMade M4

6-PW: TaylorMade PSI irons

TaylorMade wedges: 52, 56, 60

Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I preordered this directly from Taylormade and I have been very happy with it. Picked up 15-20 real yards. The face has to be broken in a little bit. Took me about 3 rounds and then the face softened and I was glad I purchased it. Very forgiving 

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 6:41 PM, GolfSpy_BOS said:

one of my favorite things about Cobra's milled face is that it always left a good mark where it was hit,

I have been a fan of this for years. With the milled face there's a witness mark left after every strike. It's now my habit to hit a drive, look at the face for where I hit it, wipe the mark off the face. 

I'm sure the driver wasn't designed specifically for this feature, but it is pretty handy. 

  • Like 2

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2022 at 2:50 PM, floridagolfer said:

The face has to be broken in a little bit. Took me about 3 rounds and then the face softened

What? Is that a real thing? 

If so, the engineer in me has immediate alarm bells ringing in my ears. 

Anything that has to "break in" is prone to bad tolerance. 

How much does it need to break in?
How long does it take to break in?
What's to stop it from breaking in too much or too long?
What if it keeps breaking in forever? ... Answer, it will fail. 

A break in period is NOT good engineering if that's a real thing. 

If it's just you having to get used to a new driver then it's fine. But if the face really needs to break in, that's bad design, and I'd avoid it like the plague. 

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2022 at 6:23 AM, Chester3488 said:

What? Is that a real thing? 

If so, the engineer in me has immediate alarm bells ringing in my ears. 

Anything that has to "break in" is prone to bad tolerance. 

How much does it need to break in?
How long does it take to break in?
What's to stop it from breaking in too much or too long?
What if it keeps breaking in forever? ... Answer, it will fail. 

A break in period is NOT good engineering if that's a real thing. 

If it's just you having to get used to a new driver then it's fine. But if the face really needs to break in, that's bad design, and I'd avoid it like the plague. 

I can't imagine this is real - it certainly wasn't for me.  However it may have felt like it to the poster.  

  • Like 3

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2022 at 10:15 PM, GaDawg said:

You are so true. I went yesterday to get fitted for a new driver and tried TM Stealth, Cobra, Callaway, Ping, etc. With me getting older and recently having back surgery, I needed to find the correct shaft. Thought that I might need to move down to a regular flex, but after an hour, we got it dialed in. For me, the TM Stealth 10.5* with a Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 stiff shaft was the ticket. I am not saying the stealth driver is the best on the market, but yesterday it was the correct one for me.

 

And it comes UGA colors 😁

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 939X 4H

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 9:54 AM, THEZIPR23 said:

Yes sir and you are exactly correct, my miss is low heel. However there seems to be something with my delivery that at times even when flushed the spin creeps up. Been playing with ball position a little bit to see if that helps. I will say though that as my AOA is getting back to my normal they are less frequent. 

image.jpeg.e883f9e5577e1d010993653c479c8c48.jpegimage.jpeg.b2bfb9488eaf98b93ec8166e11457e3e.jpeg

Here is an example. This is from last night. Didn't get a read on club data due to the foot spray however path and aoa don't change more than 1* generally for me. Pretty much at a loss as to how I am doing this. And yes it happens on course so it is not LM. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

 

Here is an example. This is from last night. Didn't get a read on club data due to the foot spray however path and aoa don't change more than 1* generally for me. Pretty much at a loss as to how I am doing this. And yes it happens on course so it is not LM. 

Interesting.  so with similar ball location and launch parameters other shots have better spin?   If so,  makes me think that the loft you are delivering varies creating higher or lower spin. 

  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Interesting.  so with similar ball location and launch parameters other shots have better spin?   If so,  makes me think that the loft you are delivering varies creating higher or lower spin. 

This is my guess too. 

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

Interesting.  so with similar ball location and launch parameters other shots have better spin?   If so,  makes me think that the loft you are delivering varies creating higher or lower spin. 

Yes, and I believe you are both correct. I fight a flip so I have deduced that it is it. It is only thing that makes any sense to me. 

14 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is my guess too. 

 

  • Like 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...