Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Driver Sole Marks

fixyurdivot

What do the tee marks on the sole of your driver say about your swing path?  While waiting on a tee yesterday, I was looking at all the tee marks and wondering whether they say anything about my ball striking.  A square to face path would, I should think, be making marks more centered?  Can anything be gleaned about our swings from these marks?  What do the marks on your driver look like?  I'd love to see the difference from our forums scratch level players.

1780889714_Driversolemark.jpg.aa4b8a715622e8655f59bb6cedb4930d.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I don’t have any tee marks on my current drivers and I typically don’t have a driver in my bag more than 1-2 seasons and really don’t see anywhere near the wear and tear on the sole like you show. 

looking at yours it looks like you make a lot of contact towards the toe. Could be out to in path or too far in to out.  How do those marks compare to what you see on face contact?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have been playing the G400 for the past 4 years. I purchased it new and for the most part it still looks new. This driver has seen at a minimum of 200 rounds. Then add in range time. So a rough estimate would be 2600 tee shots and maybe another 2000 on the range. The only markings are at the bottom of the face. These are the white paint markings from the tee. I didn't clean the club either. Took the head cover off and took the pictures.

G4001.jpg.336debf9d535d9980b70388456ddf33e.jpg

G400.jpg.d3b4bea43bb66957930ade461c7fe5ab.jpg

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Here's mine,  probably similar usage to Tom's.  Didn't take a picture of the face but similar marks from the plastic tees;  they are also on the bottom of the club as well.  

IMG_0733.JPG.5bfee5154c4e4861473e79527d3232a4.JPG

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

An instructor once told me that the tee marks look good on the bottom of my driver but i didnt ask any more questions

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

All my marks say is "clean me!!!!!" 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t have any tee marks on my current drivers and I typically don’t have a driver in my bag more than 1-2 seasons and really don’t see anywhere near the wear and tear on the sole like you show. 

looking at yours it looks like you make a lot of contact towards the toe. Could be out to in path or too far in to out.  How do those marks compare to what you see on face contact?

My tendency on the face is to be a whisker toe side. I've not cleaned these from the sole in some time now but refresh the face about every round.  

7 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have been playing the G400 for the past 4 years. I purchased it new and for the most part it still looks new. This driver has seen at a minimum of 200 rounds. Then add in range time. So a rough estimate would be 2600 tee shots and maybe another 2000 on the range. The only markings are at the bottom of the face. These are the white paint markings from the tee. I didn't clean the club either. Took the head cover off and took the pictures.

G4001.jpg.336debf9d535d9980b70388456ddf33e.jpg

G400.jpg.d3b4bea43bb66957930ade461c7fe5ab.jpg

Well now, I'd say that is a significant difference.  It looks like the G400 has more of a relief in the rear/trailing area where most of my marks are.  The few marks I see on yours (and @cnosil) seem to be heading to that same area - and might leave a mark were it not relieved?  It would be interesting if I had a G400 to put in play for a bit. Bottom-line is that those marks are drag and drag is a vector in the wrong direction! 😐

Hope others will share their driver sole fingerprints.  Perhaps some patterns will emerge that speaks to both swing path and/or sole design.

i've also noticed, i can see tee marks clearly on my Callaway driver, but not so much on my Titleist driver, just do to difference in material or difference in color of the sole. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

13 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

What do the tee marks on the sole of your driver say about your swing path?  While waiting on a tee yesterday, I was looking at all the tee marks and wondering whether they say anything about my ball striking.  A square to face path would, I should think, be making marks more centered?  Can anything be gleaned about our swings from these marks?  What do the marks on your driver look like?  I'd love to see the difference from our forums scratch level players.

1780889714_Driversolemark.jpg.aa4b8a715622e8655f59bb6cedb4930d.jpg

I think I see the mark you left when you went way right on #1 at Circling Raven this summer... just above the G  🤣

I usually use a plastic tee that doesn't leave marks, but the last round I played on Wednesday I grabbed a white wooden tee.  Never looked at it until now.

IMG_1489.jpeg.0d30f46adb7b320255cfc7dafae11377.jpeg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I think I see the mark you left when you went way right on #1 at Circling Raven this summer... just above the G  🤣

I usually use a plastic tee that doesn't leave marks, but the last round I played on Wednesday I grabbed a white wooden tee.  Never looked at it until now.

IMG_1489.jpeg.0d30f46adb7b320255cfc7dafae11377.jpeg

Those marks look perpendicular and centerline to the face.... boring 😄.

Yawning GIFs | Tenor

I use plastic tees and noticed these marks while doing my G410P testing/review.  I tried keeping them cleaned off but they're a bugger to remove.  That area has a matte finish that seems to accentuate the level of marking.  I wonder if fitters could examine a driver sole and predict swing path before seeing the swing?

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Those marks look perpendicular and centerline to the face.... boring 😄.

Yawning GIFs | Tenor

I use plastic tees and noticed these marks while doing my G410P testing/review.  I tried keeping them cleaned off but they're a bugger to remove.  That area has a matte finish that seems to accentuate the level of marking.  I wonder if fitters could examine a driver sole and predict swing path before seeing the swing?

Well, I could say that since your marks extend across the entire sole, you have a much steeper AoA than I do.  Is the tee in contact longer? ... but that's just a guess on my part.  I know that I typically hit up about 5º.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

All I can say about my tee marks is that they are generally on the bottom of my driver.  😂

They aren't as straight as @KennyBbut not as diagonal as @fixyurdivot  .

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

The marks on the face and sole of my driver vary but they look more respectable than my actual results... 🤔

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

This, according to Michael Breed.  

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/michael-breed-answers-email-about-driver-tee-marks

On 12/4/2021 at 7:59 AM, Kenny B said:

Well, I could say that since your marks extend across the entire sole, you have a much steeper AoA than I do.  Is the tee in contact longer? ... but that's just a guess on my part.  I know that I typically hit up about 5º.

Just looked at my three fitting sessions and the driver AOA averages -0.5 deg. According to Trackman, the average tour pro AOA is -1.5 (so you've got some work to do Kenny 😆). It's clear from the wear/burnishing of the LE that I'm catching the ground more often than I should be, however, my pre-shot routine includes a sweep pass and that is no doubt contributing.  As @RickyBobby_PRpointed out above, and from my face marks/toe side tendency, the resultant sole marks are from the head twist. 

I've been doing so well finding fairways for the past few months that I almost hate to mess with the driver routine. But hitting closer to center will certainly add more distance, so what little change might I try to move closer to the bullseye - moving just a wee bit closer to the ball immediately comes to mind?

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

This, according to Michael Breed.  

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/michael-breed-answers-email-about-driver-tee-marks

Just looked at my three fitting sessions and the driver AOA averages -0.5 deg. According to Trackman, the average tour pro AOA is -1.5 (so you've got some work to do Kenny 😆). It's clear from the wear/burnishing of the LE that I'm catching the ground more often than I should be, however, my pre-shot routine includes a sweep pass and that is no doubt contributing.  As @RickyBobby_PRpointed out above, and from my face marks/toe side tendency, the resultant sole marks are from the head twist. 

I've been doing so well finding fairways for the past few months that I almost hate to mess with the driver routine. But hitting closer to center will certainly add more distance, so what little change might I try to move closer to the bullseye - moving just a wee bit closer to the ball immediately comes to mind?

LOL.  Hitting down helps with control but at the expense of distance.  Pros can afford to give up a little distance for straighter shots.  I can't!!  I need to flatten my swing at the bottom a little more, because my tendency when hitting up at 5º is to hit shots off the bottom of the club face... no good!  I'm working on it.

Most ams, including me, tend to not sync their arms correctly with their rotation in the downswing.  As a result the body turns before the hands can get the club into slot.  I've worked hard on that all summer.  I have to feel like I start my arms down and delay any rotation; slo-mo drills.  Feels weird to start with, but it gets better with practice.  Check many recent posts on Instagram by Monte Scheinblum showing Rory, Tiger, and Justin Rose.

The new KBS TD shaft has a lower torque than the Alta CB Red and that should be helping reduce twist.  Now I just need to find a driver that makes me hit it dead center 👍.  To be fair, most of these marks could have been from the PING shaft.  I spent a little time cleaning them off and will now keep track to see if they have moved towards center.

Sharing my tee marks as a high-handicapper

IMG_2613.jpg.35501f5def3e8f13517a6af1fc4d5fb3.jpg

Updated 07/15/2022

57 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

The new KBS TD shaft has a lower torque than the Alta CB Red and that should be helping reduce twist.  Now I just need to find a driver that makes me hit it dead center 👍.  To be fair, most of these marks could have been from the PING shaft.  I spent a little time cleaning them off and will now keep track to see if they have moved towards center.

Torque these days is more about feel than twist. While it’s still related to twist it’s not the same low torque race that it was 20 years ago. It’s also about twist at impact than kn the swing itself. There’s a lot more that goes into the subject. 

Also like stiffness there is no industry standard on torque. There are different machines used by different companies, also shaft companies measure in different spots so unless you know that company a and b measure in the same way using free same machine competing torque is futile as a way to pick a shaft or detrimine how it will feel or perform 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1