SD, Palm Springs, or Orando

pulledabill

I have done golf trips to Orlando and Palm Springs and would choose Palm Springs to go again!

hundreds of courses to choose from in varying price range and the weather is better and we stayed in AirBnb in both Orlando and Palm Springs and it's much cheaper in Palm Springs because you are not fighting with the the Disney crowd.  

2 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

Your less expensive area would be Orlando. Lots of terrific courses, like Grand Cyprus, Disney courses, RTJ Jr/Sr in Celebration, and on and on. The most beautiful was Palm Desert, although I was there in May, playing the TPC Stadium, Indian Wells, & Silver Rock was fun. San Diego is my favorite with Torrey Pines 1 & 2, Aviara, Maderas, and so many more. Weather in all locations should be perfect, although Orlando can get rain. Check Hotels.com and Tee Off.com and see what deals you can get. Air fare into San Diego and Orlando should be similar, depending on where you depart. Personally in February I'd take San Diego. However, first of March I'm going to Vegas to play for a week...TPC Sumerlin, TPC Las Vegas, Bear's Best, Angel Park (2 Palmer courses), Coyote Springs (1 hr NE Nicklaus course-magnificent), Siena, and on and on. Good Luck!

Just played Coyote Springs on a trip last month, great course.  I would also suggest Paiute it has three amazing 18 holes courses (Snow Mountain, Sun Mountain and The wolf).  Also if you are willing to drive to Coyote Springs the drive to Mesquite to play Wolf Creek is worth it as well!

Why not Bandon, weather is a crap shoot, but the golf is incredible and it’s rather affordable. But depends on if you’re interested in golf only 

:taylormade-small:  SIM2 8* Diamana S+ Stiff Tipped 1"

:callaway-small:Mavrik 4W - 16.5* Tensi AV Blue Stiff Tipped 1/2"

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid AV Tensi Blue Stiff

:Sub70: 699U Pro 3 iron HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 5-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff Black

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 48* 54* 58* True Temper Dynamic Gold Spinner

Putter:

:titelist-small: See the source image Phantom X5- Current Gamer

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Black on Black on Black

:Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: . Pro V1 

Currently testing: Sub 70 848 Pro Driver 

On 12/7/2021 at 11:14 AM, GaDawg said:

Being from the east coast area, I loved Palm Springs but I went in September a few years ago. I have listed some of my favorite courses in the Orlando area.

https://www.southerndunes.com/

https://www.falconsfire.com/?utm_source=GMB&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=LocalSearch

https://www.eaglecreekorlando.com/

There are quite a few higher priced courses, I just listed several that I have played.

Eagle Creek is one of my favorite courses! Always in good shape and restaurant is good too. 
Falcons Fire nice, a bit overpriced
One other Orlando Area sleeper course is: Champions Gate "Country Club".  Not Champions Gate International or National Courses. The Country Club course is newer and fantastic! 
If you make it to Orlando & play Eagle Creek, try Royal St. Cloud as well.  Royal St. Cloud, in St. Cloud FL, is about 20 mins south of Eagle Creek, they have 3 nines and in really good shape, links style course.  
Looks like you decided on Palm Springs, good choice & dryer in February! 

Enjoy!! 

Callaway Maverick Pro - Std Length, 5-PW & A Wedge - Elevate 105 stiff Steel Shafts-

Callaway EPIC 9.0 Subzero - set at 10.0 Draw bias - 6.0 Stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (21 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM5 - 54 (M Grind) wedge flex; SM5 60 (S grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron - Select Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Handicap 0.6

Having played both area many times I would vote for PS. As for costs you need to check the golf apps for costs and availability. WARNING stay away from north PS courses in the late afternoon unless you like high winds. Other than that it is beautiful that time of the year. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

3 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

Your less expensive area would be Orlando. Lots of terrific courses, like Grand Cyprus, Disney courses, RTJ Jr/Sr in Celebration, and on and on. The most beautiful was Palm Desert, although I was there in May, playing the TPC Stadium, Indian Wells, & Silver Rock was fun. San Diego is my favorite with Torrey Pines 1 & 2, Aviara, Maderas, and so many more. Weather in all locations should be perfect, although Orlando can get rain. Check Hotels.com and Tee Off.com and see what deals you can get. Air fare into San Diego and Orlando should be similar, depending on where you depart. Personally in February I'd take San Diego. However, first of March I'm going to Vegas to play for a week...TPC Sumerlin, TPC Las Vegas, Bear's Best, Angel Park (2 Palmer courses), Coyote Springs (1 hr NE Nicklaus course-magnificent), Siena, and on and on. Good Luck!

Agree on the Orlando comments.  Add Hawks Landing, Crow Creek to affordable options.  

6 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

For San Deigo, more affordable options in the city would be Balboa or Coronado; older school tracks with views/character. RB Inn and Encinitas Ranch are solid tracks outside the city proper in the $100 range, and Encinitas has ocean views if that is of interest. Further south maybe Singing Hills or Steele Canyon would fit a similar bill as RB Inn golf-wise, but I haven't played there in quite a while.

Nice tracks under $200 (at least I think they are under $200 still 😬 but haven't looked up the latest rates) - not sure how much driving you are looking to do as the distance from downtown on this list varies quite a bit, but IMO the list would be Torrey North, La Costa, Maderas, Barona Creek, Rams Hill 

Over $200 public access tracks: Torrey South & Aviara

If I was budgeting for <$150/round & willing to drive I would put together a 4 day trip like this:

1. Coronado - course is nice if not spectacular but the views are 10/10, super easy to get to if you are staying in/around downtown

2. Torrey North - should be A+ condition in Feb; course layout isn't as interesting or nostalgic as South but for >$100 less you get the same views and a still awesome course that pros play on yearly (for one round lol)

3. Barona (play after 11am for big discount) - most underrated course in San Diego IMO. I would play this over the better known Maderas every day, but some disagree. Most would agree that if you aren't afraid of a 90 min drive, Rams Hill would be better than both and would give you a Palm Springs feel w/ mountains/valley in the background 

4. La Costa Legends - Tour stop from the 90s, cool layout, should be really good condition and a great resort. If planning on a 36 hole day you could do 18 on Legends and 18 on Champions for less than trying to play Torrey North and South back to back (though budget-permitting I would argue that playing Torrey South over La Costa Champions would be better value even at $150 more)

Would you say Barona over Mt. Woodson? I have 3 days in Poway and I'm doing Maderas and Rams Hill for sure. On the fence about Barona because of some negative comments on GN I've seen about conditions. Torrey is out because the PGA stop is that week.

• Like 1

Phx isn't s bad choice at that time of year.  How often do you see it raining during the PHX open.  Quite a few resorts and over 300 courses in the metro area with price points all over the board. Wild Horse Pass has 2 awesome courses that I think helped out with the college championship last year when the NCAA shut it down. 

Epic GBB driver 10.5 turned down to 9.5 Hzruds 6.5 smoke shaft. 

Titleist U15 1 iron 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

7 minutes ago, PelhamRood said:

Would you say Barona over Mt. Woodson? I have 3 days in Poway and I'm doing Maderas and Rams Hill for sure. On the fence about Barona because of some negative comments on GN I've seen about conditions. Torrey is out because the PGA stop is that week.

I haven't played Barona since Feb so can't speak to current conditions, but it would have to be really really bad for me to consider Mt. Woodson over it. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :cobra-small: Forged Tec Black 4i, King Forged CB 5-GW w/ KBS $ Taper 130

New Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

26 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

I haven't played Barona since Feb so can't speak to current conditions, but it would have to be really really bad for me to consider Mt. Woodson over it. 

The Barona website says that it's only a 9 holer because of drought. I'll call the pro shop tomorrow to see if that's right. What would you play within a half hour of Poway instead? Mt. Woodson looked decent, had good reviews on GN, and the price was nice. I'm staying with a non golfing friend so I want to stay close, considering that one day I'm going out to Rams Hill. But I want to maximize my golf experience, without taking out a second mortgage of course.

On 12/4/2021 at 10:00 PM, pulledabill said:

Got a week off mid Feb. Researching a golf trip to either Orlando, SD, or Palm Springs. Looks like the warmer weather is Orlando but does anybody have an idea  which area is more affordable considering its high season?  Digging around at all the courses is ming boggling, especially Orlando. Thoughts?

The Orlando area is way cheaper than the other options you mentioned. Years ago I stayed an played at the Mission Hills Resort and it was amazing. They just signed a multi-year agreement with the LPGA, so I imagine the course is in pretty good shape; you can play both courses for less than $70. There are plenty of other courses in the area that are very good as well. Consider Tampa Bay as well, I lived there for a couple of years and there are awesome and affordable courses over there as well.

21 minutes ago, San said:

The Orlando area is way cheaper than the other options you mentioned. Years ago I stayed an played at the Mission Hills Resort and it was amazing. They just signed a multi-year agreement with the LPGA, so I imagine the course is in pretty good shape; you can play both courses for less than $70. There are plenty of other courses in the area that are very good as well. Consider Tampa Bay as well, I lived there for a couple of years and there are awesome and affordable courses over there as well.

I second that. Mission Hills is awesome. I enjoyed Orange County National as well. Two great courses and you can walk out of a no frills but clean hotel room directly onto the putting green across the cart path from the first tee. Immersive golf facility with a short course and extensive practice area.

6 hours ago, Joel_M. said:

If you just looking for a warm get away then disregard the below. 

The end of Jan and feb at Bandon is the best deal in resort golf, imho. You can get really lucky with weather I have been there twice on my birthday in late jan and had two of my three days sunny and in the 50’s. Obviously you could run into some awful weather too but that can be part of the fun/experience. This is a not so well kept secret of PNW locals. The geography of the coastline and winds at that time of the year can lead to some surprisingly good weather for 1/3 the normal costs. 

I live just 3.5 hours from Bandon but still an option if I want to gamble on weather and tee times. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Desert Dewsweeper is the kind of guy you want to connect with to plan a Palm Springs trip in season...  otherwise you'll be paying top dollar for golf.  

EPIC Driver, EPIC 3 Wood, EPIC hybrid, Adams irons, Callaway wedges, Scotty putter and Titleist ball.

If you want to relax in shorts and warm weather, I would think Palm Springs would be a better choice, or somewhere south of Orlando.  I've been to Orlando between the Jan-March time frame and the weather is still usually somewhat chiller and not the warm weather you envision Florida to be.  We've been down there in March where the temps were still in the low 50s.  Not saying I didn't golf  😀, but if warm weather is what you're also looking for golfing wise, further south in Fl or PS might be a better bet.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

14 hours ago, PelhamRood said:

The Barona website says that it's only a 9 holer because of drought. I'll call the pro shop tomorrow to see if that's right. What would you play within a half hour of Poway instead? Mt. Woodson looked decent, had good reviews on GN, and the price was nice. I'm staying with a non golfing friend so I want to stay close, considering that one day I'm going out to Rams Hill. But I want to maximize my golf experience, without taking out a second mortgage of course.

Hmm if true that would certainly be enough to not venture out to Barona...within 30 mins of Poway, Rancho Bernardo Inn is a decent track and close by. Not as much elevation change as Woodson but in my experience has been in better shape (I play both of those pretty sparingly however). Temecula Creek is another solid track a bit further north. Another option, since you are playing a desert track in Rams Hill and Maderas (not really desert but hilly, boulders, etc.) already, you could switch it up and go to Crossings or Encinitas Ranch for some coastal golf; both have ocean views and are a step below La Costa price-wise (think like $100-120), but more like 40 mins from Poway.

• Like 1

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :cobra-small: Forged Tec Black 4i, King Forged CB 5-GW w/ KBS $ Taper 130

15 hours ago, PelhamRood said:

Rams Hill is a great course, but last year I heard that the course suffered from lack of water.  You might want to check current conditions.

If you are driving that far, I would recommend the drive up to Temecula.  Check out Journey at Pechanga and the Arthur Hills designed Cross Creek.  Loved that course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

... Going to the PGA Show so many years and playing for 10 days or so after,  I have several favorites in Orlando. I have had good luck with weather in late January. That said I have had some cold individual days and remember one day where the day time temps were below freezing, but right back in the 60's the next day. 

Orange Lake. For my money this is the hidden gem. I absolutely love the Arnold Palmer Legends course and probably played it more than any other. Bargains can be found on GolfNow. Not a fan of the Reserve course. 

Champions Gate International. One of my favorites when I could find a good price on GolfNow. Not so much a fan of the National course but it is OK. 

Champions Gate CC. As others have said a really nice lay out and a fun course to play.

Orange County National. Greatly prefer Panther Lake but will play Crooked Cat for the right price.

Celebration. If you can find a decent price another favorite of mine. Rates can vary quite a bit, especially for a non resident. 

Grand Cyrpess. It can be pretty pricy if you can't find a time on GolfNow. I enjoyed all the courses but consider the Links course a must play. 

• Like 1

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-MT SR 
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec/4i FTx ... KBS TGi 85S
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Rams Hill is a great course, but last year I heard that the course suffered from lack of water.  You might want to check current conditions.

If you are driving that far, I would recommend the drive up to Temecula.  Check out Journey at Pechanga and the Arthur Hills designed Cross Creek.  Loved that course.

Haven't played Cross Creek yet, but 100% agree re: Pechanga if it's in the budget 

• Like 1