TESTERS WANTED! ×

Death of Byron Morgan

MadMex

Great story and sounded like a great man.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

That’s definitely bad news.  He made great putters.  I’ve owned a few and unfortunately don’t have any currently. 

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I’ve known Byron for many years. I am so deeply saddened to learn of his passing. I had not spoken to him since his move to Georgia.  I hope his wife sets up a memorial page in his honor so we can have a place to share our thoughts and love for a very nice man…RIP Byron    Your friend for all time Sandy Galbraith.  

In the last year or so I have came to know him on FB and admire his work. Never have owned or seen in person any of his putters but like I said admired his work and learned some from it. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

7 hours ago, BIG STU said:

In the last year or so I have came to know him on FB and admire his work. Never have owned or seen in person any of his putters but like I said admired his work and learned some from it. 

I’ve regretted selling a few of his putters.  One of his that I picked up and sold was a custom piece that was beautiful but definitely a wall hanger.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

• SPY VIP

When I learned that Byron was sick, I dropped one of his putters in my bag as a gesture of hope.

Now that he has passed I play it to remember the amazing man that I was fortunate enough to meet during my golf journey.

Byron was one cool cat who made putters infused with his cool vibe. I will miss him.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

17 hours ago, Rickp said:

I’ve regretted selling a few of his putters.  One of his that I picked up and sold was a custom piece that was beautiful but definitely a wall hanger.  

I liked looking at his creations but they frankly are too nice for me to game. I alluded to that one night on FB and added I liked my putters rusty banged up and with lead tape. LOL he did reply and said he could build me one unfinished so it would rust if I liked it that way. Right now being retired and on a fixed income so to speak I can not afford one

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 4 weeks later...

So sorry to hear this sad news. I was fortunate to win a fantasy golf contest on the Puttertalk forum back in 2010; first prize was a custom Byron putter which I still have. I think I'll put it back in the bag for my next round. RIP sir, and thanks for everything!

2010 Fantasy Golf Winner - Spud Cavity.jpg

2010 Fantasy Golf Winner - Spud Face.jpg

Driver: Ping G400 Max (10.5° @ 9.9°) - Wishon S2S Red Wood R
Hybrids: Wishon EQ1-NX (20°, 24°) - Wishon S2S Red Hybrid R
Irons: Wishon EQ1-NX (6i-9i) - Aerotech SteelFiber i95 R
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2 (46°, 52°), CBX Full-Face (58°) - Project X LZ 5.5
Putter: Ping DS72 C
Balls: Srixon Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...

Byron was such a great guy and he made some terrific putters.  I have a 612 from him that I absolutely love.
I used to love going to his section on the old PutterTalk site and see all of the putters he was pumping out for people.  Since I live in SC I was hoping to meet him in person (and order another putter from him) after he moved to GA.  I will always regret not contacting him sooner after he moved east.
He will be sorely missed for his putters and his class.  
Prayers to his wife and family and may he RIP.

26 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Byron was such a great guy and he made some terrific putters.  I have a 612 from him that I absolutely love.
I used to love going to his section on the old PutterTalk site and see all of the putters he was pumping out for people.  Since I live in SC I was hoping to meet him in person (and order another putter from him) after he moved to GA.  I will always regret not contacting him sooner after he moved east.
He will be sorely missed for his putters and his class.  
Prayers to his wife and family and may he RIP.

I forgot about PutterTalk, Byron was big on that site.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 2 weeks later...

I am fortunate to have come to know Byron and even more fortunate to become friends with him.  I was fortunate to become friends with the owner and some of the moderators of another golf website (now shut down by the owner).  Because of these friendships I was fortunate in being invited to several golf outings from the late 2000s to mid 2010s.  I was fortunate to be able to attend one in the Cleveland, OH area June of 2014 where Byron was also in attendance.  To meet him was a pleasure as we had communicated a little in the past.  His wife, Sally, went to high school a little south of where I did in Colorado and I apparently still harbor some ill feelings with her high school from a baseball district playoff game from back in 1982.  😁  That said, Byron got a kick out of that story when we first talked.  Moving to the golf outing, we discussed putters and what I liked in a putter.  That is where I made my first putter order, a custom GSS DH89 with long pipe flow neck.  I was in Huntington Beach area on business either the following week or week after that and stopped by Byron's shop.  He measured me for the DH89 build.  He told me he had a carbon Epic Day putter and I ordered that one as well.  I gamed that Epic Day putter from September 2014 when I received it until last summer when I put the DH89 in my bag where it remains today.  I have ordered a couple more putters and picked up a handful more.  The only Byron Morgan putters I own today are the DH89 and Epic Day.  Those two will not leave my collection while I am breathing. 

The last time we spoke on the phone was during the 2021 Masters.  Those who knew Byron personally knows that any phone conversation more than 5 or 10 minutes is rather long for Byron.  Our last conversation lasted over an hour, more like and hour and fifteen minutes.  We talked about another passion of his, persimmon woods and our love for classic MacGregor persimmon.  We had exchanged pictures of our collections and I had just received a couple of restored drivers back from Dave Wood.  We talked about the design of those woods, those who played them, how we played them and the classic beauty of persimmon woods.  He was like a kid in a candy store.  I will miss our conversations but most of all I will miss him.  I will miss taking him to his favorite Taqueria in Huntington Beach or the prospect of finding a decent Fish Taco in Georgia.  Byron was "Salt of the Earth" and such a genuinely honest person.  The world lost one of it's better people when Byron passed away. 

RIP my friend.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 1 year later...

I'm deeply sorry to hear about the passing of Byron Morgan. The story you shared about your connection with him and the thoughtful putter he created for you is truly heartwarming. As we remember and honor Byron, finding ways to commemorate his life is important. A personalized flat grave marker from Mattos Monuments could be a beautiful tribute to his legacy. They specialize in creating gravestones and memorials that capture the essence of our loved ones. Rest in peace, Byron.

Edited by Wansgelay