TESTERS WANTED! ×

Black Anodized vs Satin?

Middler

I fell for the 'murdered out' look and replaced my satin Evnroll ER2 with a 'black armour finish' (anodized, painted, other?) ER5B. And it did look pretty cool brand new in May 2020. But even though I go to great lengths to keep it pristine, it shows wear in less than a year unlike a traditional satin finish. It doesn't have any dings or dents, but the bottom leading edge and the tails of the hatched out back have worn thru the black showing bare metal - so I regret buying it now. I am more finicky than most, and I will probably only buy satin again from now on, so FWIW. Live and learn...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Satin or black dlc finish from golf garage. The dlc finish I got on my ER2 is 3 years old and looks just as good as the day I got it refinished 

I guess I could pay to have it redone, but I wonder why Evnroll doesn't use a more durable process then?

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I enjoy darker finishes to cut glare. I had a SC Newport that I just could not continue playing due to the heavy glare from it. Same reason I use raw wedges. I even use dark finish irons in the Ben Hogan PTX pro. It’s a more durable finish than most. I don’t get to picky around the finish leaving as long as the glare remains reduced, but just my opinion.

19 hours ago, Middler said:

I guess I could pay to have it redone, but I wonder why Evnroll doesn't use a more durable process then?

DLC is a more expensive and intensive process.  Almost no golf companies use it for mass production pieces.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/23643-member-review-the-golf-garage-putter-refinishing/#comments

21 hours ago, jlukes said:

Satin or black dlc finish from golf garage. The dlc finish I got on my ER2 is 3 years old and looks just as good as the day I got it refinished 

It's one of the things I don't think many people think about when buying but that we really should: Which of our clubs are we comfortable with fading, nicks, scuffing over time?

I have a black Odyssey White Hot Pro putter that looks nearly untouched and a lot better than some of my friends' putters that are triple the price and a third of the age. One of my wedges is also a blacked out Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 that has held up pretty well but I know will slowly fade over time. Because it's my 52 that I use in multiple situations, including bunkers and mud, I'm perfectly fine with it fading and not being consistently black as long as the grooves still work. I mean, that's why I was able to pick it up in nearly immaculate condition with only some minor scuffing of the black finish for $35. Whereas I might have more issues when trying to align my putter and seeing scuffs and marks as I look down. 

If you're comfortable with fading and inconsistencies, black and colored clubs are awesome (a bag of the blue mizuno wedges are an amazing eye-catcher). They can also lead to some great end of year deals. If you're not, maybe more traditional finishes are the thing. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I have a Bettinardi BB45 that I purchased the first of the season and have about 100 rounds on it.  I was fit for this putter and it is the best putter that I have ever had but ... the paint is wearing off around the edges. I have a cover on the putter all the time except when I putt. I contacted the company but they want $200 to repaint.  I will never purchase a black putter again. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I also bought the murdered out Evnroll (ER5) and its approaching a year old at Christmas, about 100 rounds on it and also showing wear through on a couple corners.

I bought it not only because it looks great but because it works great.  IMHO, as long as a golf club is functional, there's nothing wrong with wear, and nobody I play with would give it a second look.  I do always keep the headcover on when not in use, but wouldn't consider refinishing.

If I bought a club for looks alone, I wouldn't use it on the golf course.  

That's not to imply anyone that wants to keep their clubs pristine is wrong, just a different philosophy about what their use is.  Some people wash their cars weekly, some not at all.   

Dave

Taylor Made Sim Driver and 5 wood

ping G400 3 wood

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal irons 4-G

Callaway Jaws MD wedges 54° and 58°

evnroll ER5 murdered out black putter

On 12/9/2021 at 9:11 AM, daverain1 said:

I also bought the murdered out Evnroll (ER5) and its approaching a year old at Christmas, about 100 rounds on it and also showing wear through on a couple corners.

I bought it not only because it looks great but because it works great.  IMHO, as long as a golf club is functional, there's nothing wrong with wear, and nobody I play with would give it a second look.  I do always keep the headcover on when not in use, but wouldn't consider refinishing.

If I bought a club for looks alone, I wouldn't use it on the golf course.  

That's not to imply anyone that wants to keep their clubs pristine is wrong, just a different philosophy about what their use is.  Some people wash their cars weekly, some not at all.   

Agree it’s a great putter, but I would have bought an ER5 (standard satin finish) had I known, instead of paying an up charge for the ER5B. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice…not happening.

I also have a gun metal/black Mizuno lob wedge, and the finish is holding up better even though it does not have a headcover and it takes a lot more abuse in play. I am a serious Evnroll fan, but they skimped on their ‘murdered out’ finish IMO.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

On 12/9/2021 at 9:18 AM, Middler said:

Agree it’s a great putter, but I would have bought an ER5 (standard satin finish) had I known, instead of paying an up charge for the ER5B. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice…not happening.

I also have a gun metal/black Mizuno lob wedge, and the finish is holding up better even though it does not have a headcover and it takes a lot more abuse in play. I am a serious Evnroll fan, but they skimped on the ‘murdered out’ finish.

I believe. The black finish on the Evnroll’s is the black armor finish done by Labworx