TESTERS WANTED! ×

Predictions!

Jgolf

It's that time of year again! After a painful 2 week ish break from tour golf, the 2012 PGA tour season is starting. (Admittedly only in Hawaii... but still.)

Thus, in following the MGS tradition (which has never occurred before but still, don't get picky with definitions!),

It's prediction time!

For the title of, Breakout Spy of 2012, post your predictions for the breakout player(s) of 2012. If two people choose the same players, the tiebreaker goes to the person who correctly picks player of the year and comeback player of the year. If a tie still remains, the first poster will win.

Quote from random bystander, "Wow! That's a lot of pressure! People better get posting!"

I think you all get the drift... Good Luck!

Player of the Year: Tiger with 6-8 wins

Comeback of the Year: Boo Weekley after the injury hampered year he had last season.

Breakout Player of Year: Rickie Fowler finally wins on the PGA Tour and does it two-three times.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Player of the year: Rickie Fowler - I think this could be his year... 5-6 wins with quite a few more top tens...

Comeback player of the year: Camillo Villegas - its been a while, but what the hell...

Breakout player: Gary Woodland - last year was a great year for him, this year will be even better...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Player of the Year: McIlroy finally standing in the big league with consistency and 2 majors.

Comeback player of the year: I agree with Camillo Villegas. He might give a surprise this year.

Breakout player: Mateo Manassero finally getting into the PGA Tour

Biggest Year Deception: Tiger Woods going with 1-2 wins in irrelevant tournaments, a 4th place in the Masters and sucking in every other major.

• SPY VIP

PotY: Dustin Johnson (Euro Pick: Who else, Luke Donald hasn't forgotten how to play golf...)

Comeback: Tiger Woods (Phil? Would love to see both of them back in form and competing like before)

Breakout: Scott Piercy (Euro Pick: Lee Westwood bags a major finally.)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Player of the Year - Tiger Woods 3-4 wins, 1 Major

Comback Player of the Year - Anthony Kim (I do believe he's healthy again) multiple top 10's, 1 win.

Breakout Player of the Year - Rickie Fowler, finally gets a win on the PGA Tour. Has too much talent not to.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

• SPY VIP

Alright...I'll bite.

Breakout Player of the Year: Jason Day. He seemed like he was always in the mix last year, and according to GolfDigest he's playing far and away the best equipment under the sun. Quite frankly, even though there's only 4, with his sticks, he might win 6 majors this season.

Comeback of the Year: Hunter Mahan. Missed the cut in 3 of 4 majors last year, but he's better than that, and could possibly have a big season.

I'm also predicting a big flop from Tiger Woods. What we've learned over the last couple of years is that

1) His game ain't what it used to be (and with his injuries, is unlikely to ever be what it was)

2) Despite what he projects on the golf course, he is incredibly thin-skinned. Based on the excerpts, John Feinstein's new books reads like the first time someone in the media has the stones to take the white gloves off when talking Tiger. My guess is Tiger isn't going to like it, he's not going to like the questions that come with it, and it will impact his game.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I think Keegan Bradley is going to have a really big year with a couple of wins. He's my top pick for breakout player. (Also expect Gary Woodland and Bud Cauley to play well.) Comeback award? Let's go with Ryan Moore. Player of the Year: Luke Donald.

Alright...I'll bite.

Breakout Player of the Year: Jason Day. He seemed like he was always in the mix last year, and according to GolfDigest he's playing far and away the best equipment under the sun. Quite frankly, even though there's only 4, with his sticks, he might win 6 majors this season.

Comeback of the Year: Hunter Mahan. Missed the cut in 3 of 4 majors last year, but he's better than that, and could possibly have a big season.

I'm also predicting a big flop from Tiger Woods. What we've learned over the last couple of years is that

1) His game ain't what it used to be (and with his injuries, is unlikely to ever be what it was)

2) Despite what he projects on the golf course, he is incredibly thin-skinned. Based on the excerpts, John Feinstein's new books reads like the first time someone in the media has the stones to take the white gloves off when talking Tiger. My guess is Tiger isn't going to like it, he's not going to like the questions that come with it, and it will impact his game.

Do you really think what John Feinstein writes affects Tiger Woods....... LOL!!!! Just another Tiger Hater! I hope your not serious. If your counting Tiger out, your going to feel like Steven Ames by 2012 season end.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I forgot to post my picks, so here they are:

POY: Tiger Woods - (3 solid wins should be enough in this era)

Comeback POY: Tiger Woods - (If he wins a major, after barely competing the year before, It would be hard not to choose him)

Breakout POY: Chris Kirk - (Who really knows this guy? - and he's already won? Prediction: He will win again, and become a household name- Think Webb Simpson)

• 3 weeks later...

POY: Steve Stricker. (Mr Consistent finally gets it done.)

Comeback POY: Hunter Mahan (Totally due)

Breakout POY: Robert Garrigus (I love this guy...)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

2012 the year of the Americans.

Player of the Year: Tiger Woods if he wins in Abu Dhabi they will start the voting early. But I think he will have 5 wins and at least one major. If ever he had something to prove it is now.

Comeback Player of the Year: Tiger Woods, if he just has two wins and a number of strong finishes he is a shoe in and I already predicted he will get more.

Breakout Player of the Year: Ricky Fowler wins two this year, lots of strong finishes.

Rookie of the Year: Bud Cauley already has two strong finishes, expect a win and a lot more top 10's from him.

Other notables: Steve Stricker, Jeff Maggert, Dustin Johnson, and Rory Mcilroy. I also predict there will not be near as many Euros in the top ten this year.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

POTY - Dustin Johnson

Comeback Player - Tiger Woods (3 Wins)

Breakout - John Daly :)

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

• 4 weeks later...

I may wish I had picked JB Holmes as Comecack POTY. If the rest of the announcers are like Jim Nance who manage to say rename him JB -who- underwent -brain -surgery- 3 month -2 days -4 hours -and -46 minutes -ago -Holmes at least once per broadcast hour he will be a shoe in. I was growing as tired of that as I was of hearing about Tiger-who-has-not-won-since-wrecking-his-car-and-admitting-multiple-affairs-Woods.

I mean seriously Jim-I-can't-say-anything-about-someone-without-relating-their-life-history-Nance do you think we do not know who these people are.

Of course it could also be Erik-two-heart-transplant-and-met-his-wife-in-hospital-Compton.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 9 months later...

Looking back we were all off a good deal rolleyes.gif

The title, I think, nevertheless has to go to Xamilo for pegging Rory as POY. Tiger came close... But credit has to be given where it is due. Well done.

Break out player of the year is a little tough to judge. Although the rookies did admirably no player really took it to the next level (think Keegan)... Maybe Jason Dufner should be thrown in the mix?

Regardless, It was a great season, and I can't wait to watch next years stories unfold.

- Jay

Archived