Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Why can't I carry my range game to the course?

dabigkahuna

Hey guys, like most everyone here, I practice a lot on the range, and after two to three shots with each club, feel fairly competant with every club in my bag.  Segway to the course, and it's as if I'm beating a rabid raccoon to death with each swing of my mid to long irons!  Topping and deep divots seem to be the curse of each iron I swing.  Yes, I've taken lessons and have varied the club distance from the ball, and tempo, to prevent digging my way to China with each swing.  The only thing that ever seems to work is to pretend I'm laying up so the swing path is smooth and fluid through the ball, but even this doesn't always work.  So, before I knock another molar loose, have any of you experienced this, and if so, how did you overcome this agonizing part of your iron game?  The short irons generally don't give me trouble, but 3 through 7 are driving me to use hybrids whenever possible.  If this keeps up, I plan to move to Nepal and spend the rest of my days  meditating in a cave!  Thanks!

2 hours ago, dabigkahuna said:

Hey guys, like most everyone here, I practice a lot on the range, and after two to three shots with each club, feel fairly competant with every club in my bag.  Segway to the course, and it's as if I'm beating a rabid raccoon to death with each swing of my mid to long irons!  Topping and deep divots seem to be the curse of each iron I swing.  Yes, I've taken lessons and have varied the club distance from the ball, and tempo, to prevent digging my way to China with each swing.  The only thing that ever seems to work is to pretend I'm laying up so the swing path is smooth and fluid through the ball, but even this doesn't always work.  So, before I knock another molar loose, have any of you experienced this, and if so, how did you overcome this agonizing part of your iron game?  The short irons generally don't give me trouble, but 3 through 7 are driving me to use hybrids whenever possible.  If this keeps up, I plan to move to Nepal and spend the rest of my days  meditating in a cave!  Thanks!

the range is not golf, it is golf swing.

the golf course is not golf swing, it is golf.

There's no consequence to bad shots on the range, you just scrape another ball into position and swing away. If you're anything like me, you are probably too result oriented. Being process oriented will help quiet the mind, and allow your ingrained skills to take over. I think about my grip, the shot shape, my aim point, my wrist set, and finishing my turn while I'm thinking about my shot: once I step in, I don't allow myself to think of anything. Detaching myself from the result and focusing on my process has helped me accept my poor shots and recover with the next shot. After all, I'm not a swing robot.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Every shot in the range is generally off the same surface and the same environment. No tough, sand, or change in lie angles. I’d love to think of myself as a range rat. Played my best golf this year when I played more and practiced less. Only practiced to iron out a kink here or there

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

What do you do at the range when practicing?

How many balls do you hit?

How long does it take you to go thru the number of balls you hit?

Do you practice anything from the lessons you have taken?

When was the last time you took a lesson?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree with the flat lie theory.

Golf is an easier game with every shot from a perfect lie.

Many architects prefer natural contour over expensive bulldozers and thus

don't include flat target landing areas in their designs.  

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

To answer Ricky Bobby as follows...................

I hit two large buckets each week starting with the short game, pitching and chipping to get feel and rhythem.  I then head over to hit off the grass (no mats) with short irons first, then hybrids, long irons and a few drives.  I'll then change clubs each swing with a short break between each to replicate the pace of play on the course.  I'll warn down with a AW or PW to ensure good tempo and what appears to be good process.  I'll then break out the putter to roll a few from the fringe, and get the feel of the speed of the greens.  I'll usually rest a day, then hit the links in a day or two after that. 

A large bucket is around 120 balls, but I'll reuse a good many over at the chipping area, so I can easily hit around 200 any given day. 

Anywhere between 2-3 hours depending on how my back and major organs feel after plowing the grass area. 

Yes, several things.  I went to the Colbert-Ballard connected swing school clinics in my 30's and learned about using the larger muscles in your back and legs to swing with, as well as extension and keeping the arms close to the body.  In a recent lesson, the instructor had me place the club about four inches behind the ball, and swing toward that spot to improve contact and accuracy at impact.  Sometimes it works, other times not so much.  

Just about this time a year ago. 

15 hours ago, dabigkahuna said:

and after two to three shots with each club, feel fairly competant with every club in my bag. 

I’d say this is something to look at.  If it takes you two or three shots to get comfortable on the range you are taking your range game to the course.   You only get one shot on the course;  what happens on the first shot on the range?   

9 minutes ago, dabigkahuna said:

I hit two large buckets each week starting with the short game, pitching and chipping to get feel and rhythem.  I then head over to hit off the grass (no mats) with short irons first, then hybrids, long irons and a few drives.  I'll then change clubs each swing with a short break between each to replicate the pace of play on the course.  I'll warn down with a AW or PW to ensure good tempo and what appears to be good process.  I'll then break out the putter to roll a few from the fringe, and get the feel of the speed of the greens.  I'll usually rest a day, then hit the links in a day or two after that. 

How many balls do you hit before a round?  2-3 hours for 200 balls and simulating course play with 5 minutes between shots seems pretty quick to go through that many balls.  Most of your practice seems to be short iron centric and based on your description should also take up most of that practice time.   How much time do you spend hitting the irons you are struggling with?  Are you just simulating golf/hitting balls or do you have specific intent like Low point control or face contact drills?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The driving range is endless mulligans, so there’s no way I’d expect it to translate to the course where every shot is one chance. It’s too easy to forget the bad shots and remember only the good ones on the range. And I’ve had bad sessions on the driving range followed by good rounds of golf too, it’s not always good (range) to bad golf. For me the driving range is for warming up, or for working on very specific swing elements. A lot of people hit balls without a real purpose on driving ranges.

Kinda like people I see practice putting hitting the exact same putt ball after ball. When I practice putt I use one ball, so I get once chance to read and get the pace right - just like playing. Hitting 2, 3 or more putts from the same spot on the practice green seems pointless - of course you can do better after giving yourself a read. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

37 minutes ago, dabigkahuna said:

To answer Ricky Bobby as follows...................

A large bucket is around 120 balls, but I'll reuse a good many over at the chipping area, so I can easily hit around 200 any given day. 

Anywhere between 2-3 hours depending on how my back and major organs feel after plowing the grass area. 

Yes, several things.  I went to the Colbert-Ballard connected swing school clinics in my 30's and learned about using the larger muscles in your back and legs to swing with, as well as extension and keeping the arms close to the body.  In a recent lesson, the instructor had me place the club about four inches behind the ball, and swing toward that spot to improve contact and accuracy at impact.  Sometimes it works, other times not so much.  

Just about this time a year ago. 

It seems like you are just hitting balls at the range in a repetitive pattern and not target or golf shot focused. There also doesn’t seem to be any type of block practice where you are only working on a drill/feel, then taking that drill/fill into a full swing followed by playing golf holes in your head and having to deal with the results of your swing/shot.

You only have a range game and a don’t have a golf game. You need to develop a practice routine that mimics the golf course. With as much short game work you say you are doing there’s no way you should be a 20 handicap. Your short game along would have you in the teens.

A lesson about a year ago or lessons in your 30s don’t really count imo. Especially if you aren’t doing any of the drill work from those lessons. A lot can happen/change in a year especially.

Play games on the range and on the practice green that result in penalizing you for not executing the shot, the chip/pitch/putt

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Lots of good points of view here and a lot of good questions. Other guys have asked questions I would have asked.

I will just give you my thoughts on course and how I handle range. Much like Big JD if I spend to much time in the range I can start thinking to much and get into poor habits, I need a good balance and have come to see that swinging with no ball at home and getting mechanics down is more beneficial for me. Not sure how long you’ve in this routine but just a thought.

on course it sounds like you’re already anticipating the range work and swing bit transferring, deadly anticipation. Not easy to correct unfortunately. I have been there and what had helped me hitting multiple ball rounds (skip the range). What did you do differently? Could give you a confidence boost when you start hitting consecutive good balls.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Range sessions not following me to the course have generally been a mixed bag.  Sometimes lousy on the range and great course play, sometimes the opposite.  I'm finding myself doing less range hitting as time rolls along - except for testing out new equipment.  Swatting balls that have no scoring implication is easy.  Put a dime on the table for that hole, in a game of Wolf, and things tighten up 🙂.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm finding myself doing less range hitting as time rolls along - except for testing out new equipment. 

Same for me. I get bored on the range and this results in less focus which totally defeats the purpose. I'm better off just hitting a few balls to warm up then hit the first tee. Then I'm in focus mode. 

I had a friend that was a range pro (not really) could do no wrong. Get him on the course and it was always a disaster. I took half a dozen balls to the first tee and put them near his teed up ball. Told him don't worry if you hit a bad shot just hit another. Of course the pressure was off and he hit it great. Did it on every shot for the front 9.  It was all in his head. Problem diminished after a few rounds.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Thanks for all the replies, and I totally agree that my issues are mental rather than process oriented.  I intend to resume lessons in January and practice more in the areas that are driving high scores and penalty strokes.  My best round was a 79 ages ago, so I know I've hit every club in my bag well at one time on the course.   I'm thinking less practice and more playing once the kinks have been addressed and worked on will be the way to go.  Thanks again. 

43 minutes ago, dabigkahuna said:

Thanks for all the replies, and I totally agree that my issues are mental rather than process oriented.  I intend to resume lessons in January and practice more in the areas that are driving high scores and penalty strokes.  My best round was a 79 ages ago, so I know I've hit every club in my bag well at one time on the course.   I'm thinking less practice and more playing once the kinks have been addressed and worked on will be the way to go.  Thanks again. 

Read "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose" to help on course and mental game. Then something like Adam Young's Practice Manual to get some ideas on range work. 

My game dramatically improved when I substituted 9 hole rounds instead of a bucket of 100-120 balls on the range. (Both take about 2 hours)

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, dabigkahuna said:

In addition to what everyone has said, I'll recommend two pieces of advice:

1. Keep your pre-shot routine consistent, which means bringing it to the practice course as well. For me, that's standing behind the ball and talking through my shot as I pick my line. That gets me taking time and thinking about each shot, even when it's on a driving range. Plus, that gives you an anchor point to help tie your range-mentality to your on-course mentality. 

2. Use some of your practice balls to play 9 holes in your head, and actually keep score. Given your handicap, that's still less than a quarter of your normal allotment. And yes, you can't simulate bunkers or slope as well. But it's a way to make range time a bit more stressful, a bit more game-like, and it's fairly easy to mentally simulate holes using a golf app's course maps.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

... As some have already touched on, your goal is completely different and there is a freedom to hitting balls on the range as opposed to hitting a specific shot a specific distance to a specific target. A bad shot can add one or more strokes to your score. I am sure all of us remember our score from our last range session right? 

... Using personal experience as an example. It's one thing to throw passes from the pocket at practice wearing a red jersey and knowing defensive players cannot touch you. It is an entirely different experience to be in a game knowing sooner or later you are going to be hit by a LB or DE moving at full speed. You risk injury but you most certainly will experience some intense pain and that makes a huge difference. As "gamers" I and others actually do better in a game than we do at practice but I knew plenty of very accurate practice QB's that fell apart during the pressure of the game. Obviously football is much more extreme but the concept is the same. Practicing and playing for real has always been a completely different experience. 

... One piece of advice I can give is play a few rounds expecting to shoot much higher than normal and just don't care where your ball goes. Just concentrate on swinging freely without steering or any concern at all if a ball goes into the woods or water. Keep score but be unconcerned about what that score is. More than a few are surprised by their results. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

6 hours ago, dabigkahuna said:

Do you ever Practice the way you play?  That would mean you hit ONE ball with your driver off a tee, and then hit an iron for your second shot into the green of a Par 4 whole. Do you ever do this type of practice?  When I get serious about my practice, I use a score card and start on hole 1, and hit the same club I would if I was playing that hole. Then depending on how well I hit my tee shot, I pick the correct club for my approach shot to the green and hit that shot. Then I go to hole 2 and repeat the process until I've played all 18 holes as I would on the course. I think you would find this kind of a practice session to be of a lot more value to taking your game to the course. Give this practice routine a try and see if it helps you play better ON the course where it matters. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

Let me put this another way.

When was the last time you played a round of golf and hit the SAME club 3 times in a row?   My bet would be almost NEVER.  So do you think your way of practicing by hitting 3 balls with the same club is a good way to practice playing golf?  My guess would be a solid NO. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

DBK,

Lots of sound advice here.

My own experience doesn't differ greatly but I would add a few thoughts. I hit a lot of balls into a net, maybe another 100 at the range, practice off the grass chipping, etc. And then I putt a lot as well. So, I hit a lot of balls, probably in the nuts category. A few learnings:

1. Hitting off matts doesn't give you the same feedback as grass - I found that I overestimated my abilities off the matt as it didn't give the same feedback as grass. 

2. Doing more drills is better for my game than more fullswing shots. I really didn't give enough credit to my instructor on this, the drills help a lot.

3. Good putting and chipping days hide mistakes and bad putting and chipping make things worse. I can't hit enough short balls.

4. My nemesis is 4-6 iron. I got better when I concentrated on contact. 

Best of luck, familiar with the problem.

Ping g410 LST

Titleist 917f2 5 wood

Titleist H1 21d hybrid

Titleist u100 4 iron

Ping i500 5 - PW

Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60

53 minutes ago, IONEPUTT said:

When was the last time you played a round of golf and hit the SAME club 3 times in a row?   My bet would be almost NEVER.  

That would be my last round.  5 hybrid off the tee;  5 hybrid approach OB; 5 hybrid again.   🤣

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

oh man, I have no idea what that is like...<smirk>

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

20 hours ago, IONEPUTT said:

When was the last time you played a round of golf and hit the SAME club 3 times in a row?   My bet would be almost NEVER

Funny, if you play a local course by me you would. They have a 475 yard par 5 that the layout looks like the letter "Z" You hit 8 iron three times. Trees are too tight and tall to try any type of a shortcut. Guess they were trying to keep the course a full par 72.  

I like the perfect lie theory. Also, are you hitting off a mat. Mats will let you get away with lots of bad stuff. The ball can jump up on the face with fat and steep swings amoung other things.

I could use some help with this as well. I could always take my practice to the course, but not anymore. 

Golf.com just sent out an article that has the same topic as the OP. It's an interesting read. 

1 major mistake amateurs make on the driving range: 'It's horrible' (golf.com)

Everyone has a great range game! 

The struggle is real my friend.  I can flush them all day long on the range.  Get on the course, & thoughts start running thru your head, do this, do that. etc.  That's golf!  It takes a lot of practice & discipline to be good at this game.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

One comment that hasn't been addressed is that you are telling us you have issues with long to mid irons.  Could it be that you need some sort of different set up?  Hybrids, fairway woods, more forgiveness of some sort in that part of your bag?  

Just one more thought to the crowded ones you already have - many of them great advice.

As for the last time that I used the same club three times in a row it was putter - I three putted the last time that I played - I suspect that I will three putt again in the near future - so long as I don't toss my putter into a pond or the woods along the way I will be using the same club when it happens.  🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things that I have to pay extra attention to is my stance.   During practice, I have alighment stick or edges of the mat what have you to make sure I'm setting up sqaure to the ball (parallel to the target).  On the course, I almost alway set up open.  I have to feel like I'm standing with my back foot 2-3 inches behind parallel to be sqaure.  Even with that, my playing partners are often pointing out that I'm setting up open.    It's like some kind of optical illusion, I have to feel like I'm standing quite closed.

This may or may not be the case for you, but it's worth checking.

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro