Fitness workouts and goals thread

Goober

10 hours ago, JerryB said:

I've always been an "all or nothing" type of person.  I'd get really into something for a while before moving on to something else.  Lifting weights was that thing before I started golf this year.  Between golf and mandatory OT all year at work, lifting was back-burnered.  

Started up again after Halloween once the weather was no longer golf friendly.  Managed to deadlift 405 today for the first time in a while!

Need to find a way to fit it in next year; lifting really gives me a good mental boost.

The struggle of gym vs golf and all the other life stuff is real. The last few years of training after work instead of at lunch time has dampened my time to hit the range in the evenings and a little on the weekends. 2022 is going to be interesting year for me to figure out the balance now that I’ve added a bunch of powerlifting meets where I’ll be refereeing at.

I don’t have a lot of the same family commitments others do so my practice time may come directly after my workouts since I’m not a fan of morning lifting on a regular basis especially deadlifts and squats 

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I need to get myself out of hibernation and back to my workouts.  I was doing really well once I could start moving around again.  I tore my achilles early in 2021 so I was not able to really do much until around May.  For about 5 months I was doing great, but then I had tweaked my shoulder lifting weights and was off about two weeks.  That slowed me down to a couple times a week and I've staggered more since then.  

Poor eating toppled with that too.  Back to the basics and getting where I should be. We've got a spin bike in our basement with some weights and a pull up bar so I have plenty - no excuses, pure laziness.

• Like 3

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Well, Covid keeping me in bed for over a week has REALLY caused some atrophy in my legs, making it almost impossible to even swing a club, so I’m starting to walk, do some body weight squats, and 10 minutes on the stationary bike. With the new job starting next month, and getting back on the road, or flying, I plan on taking workout gear with me. It’s going to take awhile since I’m LITERALLY in the worst shape of my life, so I’ll start slowly, and hope to be back to “toned” by next Fall. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

I've been out of the gym for the last two weeks due to being sick but my son and I are starting again on Monday. We just do the whole body workout regime at Planet Fitness twice a session lifting as heavy as we can.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0

Hybrid: :Sub70: 949X Pro 2 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

@RickyBobby_PR Anything you've picked up along the way as far as tips?  One thing I learned pretty quickly is if you went heavy in the gym, don't expect too much on the course for the next day or two, ha!

@MattF People like to rag on Planet Fitness but I really do like their circuit training area in particular!  Only reason I stopped going there is because its one of the few locations thats not actually open 24/7.

@juspoole I'm in a similar boat.  I've got stuff in the basement and garage to use, but I've found I just can't get motivated unless I leave the house to work out. 

Poor eating is my downfall.  Its entirely mental and I know it, I just can't seem to do anything about it.  Sometimes its portion control, sometimes its snacking, oftentimes its both!  Doing really bad since I had last week and this week off; I don't do well without some structure in my life.  At some point I'll find that balance.

• Like 2

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 and 5 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and Cleveland 588 56° wedges

PIng Anser putter

50 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Anything you've picked up along the way as far as tips?  One thing I learned pretty quickly is if you went heavy in the gym, don't expect too much on the course for the next day or two, ha!

Proper nutrition, hydration and overall rest/recovery. I usually train 5 days/week in powerlifting and never had issues with on course performance even with doing a cut and hard training

i drink 1 gallon or more of water per day and eat proper amount of protein 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 12/30/2021 at 1:04 PM, JerryB said:

Poor eating is my downfall.  Its entirely mental and I know it, I just can't seem to do anything about it.  Sometimes its portion control, sometimes its snacking, oftentimes its both!  Doing really bad since I had last week and this week off; I don't do well without some structure in my life.  At some point I'll find that balance.

I am the same way with the structure. I like my routine and having time off for vacation days and holidays I have been at home more than normal. The trainer I have been working with checks in me periodically to make sure I'm not snacking all day long. I don't have time for it when I'm at work, but just being at home it's more of a mental thing. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver: Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu
3 Wood: Snake Eyes Viper Tour, Aldila NV
Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper Tour 18 and 24 deg, Aldila NV
Irons: Srixon I-701 5-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120
Wedges: Callaway X-Forged 50, 54, and 58, Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Putter: Yes! Marilyn

I've currently got bronchitis, but will be super excited to get back into the gym!  I've actually been doing a lot with a personal trainer that does Muscle Activation Therapy (MAT).  Basically, its been about getting your body back in balance so muscles are compensating for one another.  A few years ago she was able to give me my first pain free rounds, and even days, in years since getting injured from improper lifting instructions in high school.  She also helped me drop like 30 lbs. by changing up my diet a little!  Never realized how important it was to do the right lifts rather than just how much I can bench and squat.

Actually, I have another friend that does some online personal sessions that's specifically for golf!  https://www.painlessgolfing.com/ is the best way to reach her!  She's absolutely amazing!  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe Low Bounce
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

Very much along the lines with this topic we have a great AMA going on with Fit For Golf! Check it out!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Being back at work this week really curbed the snacking and I've already dropped five of the ten pounds I'd put on this holiday season.

I'm running one of Wendler's 531 programs again.  In the past, if I couldn't do everything, I would do nothing.  I'm trying to be better about that.  If I don't have time, I'll get my main lifts in and get out.  If I have more time, I can get more assistance work in.  

I sometimes lose track of the fact that I'm not training to compete but rather for the rest of my life.  Doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be something.

• Like 2

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 and 5 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

PIng Anser putter

Back to masks only again at the gym. And hours reduced from 24 to 12 hours. Went in twice yesterday for an hour each. In the AM I focused on arms and triceps. Form on my curls and pull downs trumps heavy out of control lifting

The early evening session was chest and some shoulders. Plus I did 36-50 pull-ups on both sessions. My major hold up now is dieting and sleep. Once I can concur those the results should really blossom.Plus being on testosterone gel (doctor approved) has really helped as well 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Goober said:

Back to masks only again at the gym. And hours reduced from 24 to 12 hours. Went in twice yesterday for an hour each. In the AM I focused on arms and triceps. Form on my curls and pull downs trumps heavy out of control lifting

The early evening session was chest and some shoulders. Plus I did 36-50 pull-ups on both sessions. My major hold up now is dieting and sleep. Once I can concur those the results should really blossom.Plus being on testosterone gel (doctor approved) has really helped as well 

I tried to go to the gym last night and they refused to let me in. Apparently they are actually enforcing the county rule about proof of vaccination on top of the masks. I hate traveling sometimes. At least my hotel had enough equipment that I was able to get some form of a workout in but it was frustrating. 

I have to remind myself to focus on the form above the weight most of the time. It's interesting to me how a small amount of focus on the form can really change what muscles are being hit. I have the nutrition side down pretty well. Sleep on the other hand... As I am told frequently, trust the process, results come from consistency. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Seated barbell / dumbbell/  and hammer curls for the win.Sitting with elbows back really has been a game changer these last few weeks for me. Using less weight but focusing on form with elbows back while sitting upright. 

Give it a try 

• Like 1

Started back on the Keto diet last Sunday. Peaked at 194 lbs, my highest weight ever! Weight this morning at 187 with a target of 176. Ate nothing this week while working out twice a day.

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

One of the most overlooked things for guys who love lifting is cardio. I’ve really witnessed some great results from people who did intermittent sprinting. That really gets that heart going and seems to get the body into that confused fight or flight stasis. But the dedication too do that on a cardio machine after or before a workout really takes some soul searching 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goober said:

One of the most overlooked things for guys who love lifting is cardio. I’ve really witnessed some great results from people who did intermittent sprinting. That really gets that heart going and seems to get the body into that confused fight or flight stasis. But the dedication too do that on a cardio machine after or before a workout really takes some soul searching 

It all depends on one’s goals. Doing hiit isn’t that beneficial to someone looking to add muscle or maintain weight and in lots of cases liss has more benefit to a person. 

Doing circuits of 3-5 sets of carries, jumps and kb swings or some EMOM circuits are more beneficial 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It all depends on one’s goals. Doing hiit isn’t that beneficial to someone looking to add muscle or maintain weight and in lots of cases liss has more benefit to a person. 

Doing circuits of 3-5 sets of carries, jumps and kb swings or some EMOM circuits are more beneficial 

Why I truly love fitness of our bodies. It’s almost unlimited on what we can do and learn. And the techniques are only getting better from all the knowledge being passed down to us from Experts / trainers/ physical therapists

• Like 1

Trainer swapped my workouts again. Similar movements but added in some different variations to keep things new. Been a rough week or two for stress and sleep around home so he took out my HIIT for the week and put in some more LISS. Much easier to navigate the whole process with someone looking out for me. 

• Like 1

@Goober You are not wrong, my friend... I loathe cardio!  The other day I tried some sprints and was dying afterwards.  Lungs were not having it.  Was coughing afterwards and everyone was staring at me.  I'm like...Not sick, just badly out of shape!! 

Been killing it in the lifts recently.  Set a squat personal best the other day with a 390 pound double and then the next day I was able to hit some great heavy singles on bench press.  

Swinging a club seems to have done something to my front shoulder.  Since I'm not playing in the winter, I've been able to move it much more freely lately.  Something I'm going to have to monitor next season.

• Love 1

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 and 5 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

PIng Anser putter

On 1/18/2022 at 8:19 PM, JerryB said:

@Goober You are not wrong, my friend... I loathe cardio!  The other day I tried some sprints and was dying afterwards.  Lungs were not having it.  Was coughing afterwards and everyone was staring at me.  I'm like...Not sick, just badly out of shape!! 

Been killing it in the lifts recently.  Set a squat personal best the other day with a 390 pound double and then the next day I was able to hit some great heavy singles on bench press.  

Swinging a club seems to have done something to my front shoulder.  Since I'm not playing in the winter, I've been able to move it much more freely lately.  Something I'm going to have to monitor next season.

It’s all in moderation. If I truly wanted to work on every aspect needed. I would easily be in the gym 4 plus hours a day. But that is just how my demeanor is. When it comes to fitness I’m extremely anal about crossing all my T’s and dotting all my I’s.

One thing i do agree on is it all starts in the kitchen. 

• Like 1