Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Increase in loft not increasing distance?

So i'm kind of lost on this one.  I more wanted possibilities here, since I know there's a lot of moving parts and ways that this could be possible.  But here's my question.

I have 2 VERY different sets of irons.  One is an older set of MP32's and one is a newer set of M6's.  the blades are obviously very traditionally set up, with a 35* 7 iron. The M6 is 6.5* stronger at 28.5*. Despite this, and this goes to my question, there's very little separation in the distance that I'm getting out of them.  Both are right in the 175 range, so it's not like I'm lacking speed for them.  I generally hit at a toptracer range (which i'm sure isn't perfectly accurate), but when comparing like to like, and doing it often enough,  I'm not sure that's a big issue.   Since I got both clubs used, neither shaft is fit for me. M6's have a high/high KBS Max 85, and the MP32's have PX Rifle Flighted 5.0 shafts. So neither are ideal for faster swing speed. But I've noticed that the launch when I square up the M6's is insane. One thing that I noticed is that I've had upwards of 27 degree launch angles (sitting pretty regularly 23-25, can't give you a number, but less than that on the blades) on the M6 (obviously don't have spin metrics from toptracer). I have hit some freak balls that have landed at almost 200, but very rarely.

Anyone know what could be the root cause of this.  Is it just that I'm launching it so high that it's killing distance? I'm typically pretty sweepy in terms of club path so the high launch shaft and club would make sense I guess?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm more curious than anything about the dynamics of it here.

Could be a multitude of things including balls, swing, clubs, and shafts or any combination of those things.  You'd need to post actual ball and club data from the launch monitor to get specific information. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree with @cnosil.  Even the weight of the clubs.  You may be swinging one faster than the other.  Get on a launch monitor and check out the data side by side.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

My guess is the light KBS shaft is causing an increase in dynamic loft at impact. Those are crazy launch numbers for a 28.5 degree club. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS