TESTERS WANTED! ×

Kirkland v2

brutal brutus

Just got me a dozen Kirkland v2s in the mail today. Can't wait to try these out. May be awhile though. Lots of rain the last two days and some cold temps moving in...

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

Hmm... Actually, i might be able to get out midweek if the forecast holds...🍿

I love the V2s. For the cost, they perform great. And because they're so cheap relatively speaking, I never am worrying about losing a ball. I think they're about as good as you can get if you're above a 15 handicapper. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

2 hours ago, MNUte said:

I love the V2s. For the cost, they perform great. And because they're so cheap relatively speaking, I never am worrying about losing a ball. I think they're about as good as you can get if you're above a 15 handicapper. 

I've been playing the Srixon Soft Feel's lately which are pretty good for a cheap ball. Been wanting to give these a try and when i saw a dozen at a reasonable price on Amazon, i finally pulled the trigger.

I only wish my new TSi3 had also gotten here, lol... I'm dying to get my hands on that beauty

10 hours ago, brutal brutus said:

I've been playing the Srixon Soft Feel's lately which are pretty good for a cheap ball. Been wanting to give these a try and when i saw a dozen at a reasonable price on Amazon, i finally pulled the trigger.

I only wish my new TSi3 had also gotten here, lol... I'm dying to get my hands on that beauty

I'm just happy my local Costco has them restocked over the winter. I'll grab several boxes and be set for next year with them as my base ball and then trying out the premium ones I find along the way 😉 .

Part of my handicap issues are that my playing partners and I almost never play the same course more than three times in a year and we tend to favor more difficult courses. But at the same time, that means I get to have fun walking the edges of fairways and find some awesome balls to test out. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

5 hours ago, MNUte said:

I'm just happy my local Costco has them restocked over the winter. I'll grab several boxes and be set for next year with them as my base ball and then trying out the premium ones I find along the way 😉 .

Part of my handicap issues are that my playing partners and I almost never play the same course more than three times in a year and we tend to favor more difficult courses. But at the same time, that means I get to have fun walking the edges of fairways and find some awesome balls to test out. 

Just back from playing my first 9 holes with the Kv2s... and I'm definitely impressed. Hit them pretty long and mostly dead straight off the tees with my 3w and hybrids. Landed soft on approach shots and checked up nicely on short chip/flop shots around the green...

..and they don't like to get lost either apparently, lol... That might be the first round I've played this year where i didnt lose a single ball.

👍👍

I paid basically the same price for 1dz as you're paying for two and still feel they're worth it.

Edited by brutal brutus

20 minutes ago, pgaejw said:

Save your money... they suck!

Well... You know what they say about opinions and Aholes, right?

Played them a bunch over the past year. Not horrible.  Like the performance of Bridgestone E12 Contact better, but the KV2 has been a solid play for half the price 

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

4 hours ago, pgaejw said:

Save your money... they suck!

Hmm, tied for 11th overall with a very respectable MGS ball lab score and at under $13 per dozen....you and I have drastically different definitions of what sucks.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-golf-ball-quality-comparison-tool/

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

On 12/20/2021 at 6:00 PM, MNUte said:

Hmm, tied for 11th overall with a very respectable MGS ball lab score and at under $13 per dozen....you and I have drastically different definitions of what sucks.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-golf-ball-quality-comparison-tool/

... I have posted before but these balls spin an excessive amount, which is bad for better players with enough or too much spin but are awesome balls for those that do not generate enough spin. I lost about 10 or more yards off the tee and my ex gained about 10-15 yds off the tee as she needed more spin to keep the ball in the air and produce more carry. They also helped to generate more green side and iron spin so the Kirkland V2 is a great ball for her. 

... Like all equipment there is no one size fits all but if these balls work for your style of play they are an amazing bargain! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

My handicap has been on a steady incline and not because of the golf ball I play, but because of my swing.  Have been working hard on it and will not cheat myself by buying cheap golf balls.  Prov1's for me.  Like the distance, spin and accuracy.  Something I can count on.  I buy mine in the spring when Titleist runs their buy three and get one free program.  At 75 can still hit the ball off the driver (TSI3) at 93mph and on a good day it will travel around 250.  Do not think the Kirkland ball can match that.  Sorry.  16 handicapper.  Lessons paying off, shot an 81 this morning on a super hard course.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I just looked online at Costco and these balls are selling for ......$24.99 for TWO dozen balls. That's about 1.4 of what the Prov1's will set you back. They got a 4.7 average ratting which is pretty good. Only issue I found with the balls is that some say they scuff up a bit faster than a ProV1. But at 4 balls to 1, they could live with that issue. And most of those issues were NOT really an issue as getting 9 holes from a Costco ball was pretty good when most golfers LOSE a ball before they get to the back nine. So NOT really an issue for most golfers. 

IF I didn't already have enough new golf balls to last a life time, I'd be buying 4 dozen of these for $50 and be happy for the great deal. IF Costco ever brings these out in YELLOW I might have to rethink that plan. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

On 12/31/2021 at 1:45 PM, ChuckZ said:

My handicap has been on a steady incline and not because of the golf ball I play, but because of my swing.  Have been working hard on it and will not cheat myself by buying cheap golf balls.  Prov1's for me.  Like the distance, spin and accuracy.  Something I can count on.  I buy mine in the spring when Titleist runs their buy three and get one free program.  At 75 can still hit the ball off the driver (TSI3) at 93mph and on a good day it will travel around 250.  Do not think the Kirkland ball can match that.  Sorry.  16 handicapper.  Lessons paying off, shot an 81 this morning on a super hard course.    

I'll turn 75 this Spring, so we are not that far apart age wise. My handicap is a 6 and my driver swing speed is low 100's to a high of 105 on a good day, so like you I'm not hurting for distance off the tee.  Going by what you posted, I see you are buying Prov1's for around $150 for 4 dozen, when you could be buying the Costco balls for $50 for FOUR dozen. 1/3 the price of the ProV1's. 

NOT sure as a 16 handicap golfer your would notice much if any difference between the two balls other than the price. Might be well worth the $25 it would cost you to buy 2 dozen and see if YOU can tell the difference. The vast majority of the golfers that reviewed the Costco balls did NOT see much if any difference that would make them go back to the ProV1 balls. Worth a look at least. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

17 hours ago, IONEPUTT said:

I'll turn 75 this Spring, so we are not that far apart age wise. My handicap is a 6 and my driver swing speed is low 100's to a high of 105 on a good day, so like you I'm not hurting for distance off the tee.  Going by what you posted, I see you are buying Prov1's for around $150 for 4 dozen, when you could be buying the Costco balls for $50 for FOUR dozen. 1/3 the price of the ProV1's. 

NOT sure as a 16 handicap golfer your would notice much if any difference between the two balls other than the price. Might be well worth the $25 it would cost you to buy 2 dozen and see if YOU can tell the difference. The vast majority of the golfers that reviewed the Costco balls did NOT see much if any difference that would make them go back to the ProV1 balls. Worth a look at least. 

Honestly, as a higher handicapper, I've played these better than I have the top tier premier balls mainly because of the price. Yes, they are very spinny. But they're consistently so, so it's not hard for me to plan on it. And more importantly, because I'm not stressing out about shanking a $4 ball into the trees and I don't care if I damage/scuff/lose the ball, I think a lot less when hitting these. 

The reason I say that these are the ideal high handicapper's ball is that you're getting premier-ball performance at a bargain-ball price. And as you noted, most high handicappers won't notice much if any difference, and if anything could use a bit more spin. So it's about as ideal of a ball for someone to use and learn with. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

On 1/3/2022 at 4:29 PM, IONEPUTT said:

I just looked online at Costco and these balls are selling for ......$24.99 for TWO dozen balls. That's about 1.4 of what the Prov1's will set you back. They got a 4.7 average ratting which is pretty good. Only issue I found with the balls is that some say they scuff up a bit faster than a ProV1. But at 4 balls to 1, they could live with that issue. And most of those issues were NOT really an issue as getting 9 holes from a Costco ball was pretty good when most golfers LOSE a ball before they get to the back nine. So NOT really an issue for most golfers. 

IF I didn't already have enough new golf balls to last a life time, I'd be buying 4 dozen of these for $50 and be happy for the great deal. IF Costco ever brings these out in YELLOW I might have to rethink that plan. 

I just had a friend from my disc golfing crew that has a membership pick up 4dz for me and 2dz for my golfing buddy. I shouldn't have to buy balls all year... and hopefully two lol.

Is it "illegal" to dye balls? I imagine the right vegitable dye could make a decent stain to make them yellow...

...or better yet, a chartreuse fishing lure dye might be even better.

Edited by brutal brutus

Brutus, I honestly don' t know what fishing lure dye is made to work on, so I have no idea if it would work or not, but if YOU have some you  might want to give it a try and let the rest of us know how it works out.  I have NO idea if the paint they use on golf balls will take a stain using that kind of dye but it would be worth a try I think. 

15 hours ago, IONEPUTT said:

Brutus, I honestly don' t know what fishing lure dye is made to work on, so I have no idea if it would work or not, but if YOU have some you  might want to give it a try and let the rest of us know how it works out.  I have NO idea if the paint they use on golf balls will take a stain using that kind of dye but it would be worth a try I think. 

Guess I'll be making some Easter Eggs in a couple days....

Hey Brutus. You are a breath of Fresh Air.!!! Had my Tokalok Hat on while shoveling Snow just a few minutes ago. Came in & hopped right on My Golf Spy website!!

& read about you as golfer from Cincy. Liked your creative thinking so much that I am going to get right to the Costco Canada website.

As am a long time Reds Fan!! [Even when Ken Griffey SR. played for them; that long....] & Question > are The Stingers still around??

Stay Safe.

B

Found a few and they're OK, but the compression is too high for me at 94. I prefer the Srixon Q-Star Tour at 72...a softer feel off the tee and around the greens. They are more expensive, but Srixon runs buy 2 get 1 and BOGO promotions from time to time on their website.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

54 minutes ago, billybogey said:

Hey Brutus. You are a breath of Fresh Air.!!! Had my Tokalok Hat on while shoveling Snow just a few minutes ago. Came in & hopped right on My Golf Spy website!!

& read about you as golfer from Cincy. Liked your creative thinking so much that I am going to get right to the Costco Canada website.

As am a long time Reds Fan!! [Even when Ken Griffey SR. played for them; that long....] & Question > are The Stingers still around??

Stay Safe.

B

Thanks. This past 6 months or so has been a whirlwind for sure, lol...

Stingers is a name i haven't heard in awhile. You're referring to the minor league hockey team i assume? They folded after just a few years and that was the year i was born iirc. We've had a few different teams in different minor league leagues  over the past 40yrs but the Cyclones have been around since 90 and are still playing in the ECHL.

1 hour ago, brutal brutus said:

Stingers is a name i haven't heard in awhile. You're referring to the minor league hockey team i assume? They folded after just a few years and that was the year i was born iirc. We've had a few different teams in different minor league leagues  over the past 40yrs but the Cyclones have been around since 90 and are still playing in the ECHL.

Haven't heard the Cyclones team name in a while.  I was and Admirals season ticket holder until 2000 when they moved up to the A.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 12/31/2021 at 12:01 PM, chisag said:

... I have posted before but these balls spin an excessive amount, which is bad for better players with enough or too much spin but are awesome balls for those that do not generate enough spin. I lost about 10 or more yards off the tee and my ex gained about 10-15 yds off the tee as she needed more spin to keep the ball in the air and produce more carry. They also helped to generate more green side and iron spin so the Kirkland V2 is a great ball for her. 

... Like all equipment there is no one size fits all but if these balls work for your style of play they are an amazing bargain! 

What about better players that tend to produce low spin (maybe that's a rare scenario?).  I picked up a 24 ball box this past summer and started playing them H2H with various balls whenever I played solo and had the chance to play 2-ball... which was pretty often in MT.  They really seemed to hold their own and I didn't give them much thought until the recent ball lab report "spiniest ball" press. 

My ZX5 fitting data (6i) has my backspin at 4800 rpm (used PV1's) and Trackman combined averages list 5950 rpm.  My G410P/KBS TD driver averaged 1875 rpm and Trackman suggests something ~2600 rpm as optimal. So, does this suggest the Kirkland's additional spin are a good fit for me?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

48 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

What about better players that tend to produce low spin (maybe that's a rare scenario?).  

So, does this suggest the Kirkland's additional spin are a good fit for me?

… Not rare but certainly the minority. Of course spin with irons is needed to hold greens along with angle of descent. Most golfers can use more spin with their irons, not less. This was a problem with high speed players with low spin hitting irons like P790s and saying they got a 20 yd flier out of nowhere. I believe they hit the dead center and just produced a little less spin on that shot and combined, if you hit a 7 iron something like 185 or more ( yes, I know 🤪) they could get a jump in distance. 

But back to us normal folk, it is not uncommon at all for a player to produce too little spin with their driver. My last fitting showed I needed more spin with a 95mph swing speed and nice mid/high trajectory at around 1900 that was literally falling out of the sky. Picked up 400 rpms and had better carry and more roll. Of course the opposite can be true if you hit down with your driver and produce too much spin. Fittings will of course sort this out and would be much better than me guessing without knowing your swing speed, trajectory, AOD and current spin. But the eye test is always a good start. If you are getting a mid/high or even high trajectory with decent roll you are in the right spin wheelhouse. But if your drive is a little in front of your ball mark or worse backed up a foot you need less spin. 

13 hours ago, chisag said:

But if your drive is a little in front of your ball mark or worse backed up a foot you need less spin. 

My ball is most often forward of my divot but, this raises another question... why do we see pro drives rolling out so far?  How much rollout should we expect to see under normal course/playing conditions?  Is the pros rollout mostly due to course conditions or their ball flight numbers?  I've been teeing a bit lower this past year and that has both lowered my ball height and helped with FIR's.  But I wonder if that is at the cost of total carry since "in the air time" seems to be a key ingredient to maximizing carry.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

41 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

My ball is most often forward of my divot but, this raises another question... why do we see pro drives rolling out so far?  How much rollout should we expect to see under normal course/playing conditions?  Is the pros rollout mostly due to course conditions or their ball flight numbers?  I've been teeing a bit lower this past year and that has both lowered my ball height and helped with FIR's.  But I wonder if that is at the cost of total carry since "in the air time" seems to be a key ingredient to maximizing carry.

... A combination of technique, carry and AOD along with course conditions. Perfect example is Aguila, the excellent city course I play in Phoenix. There is a 430 yd par 4 that plays radically different in the summer and winter. They water heavily in the summer and keep the grass a little longer to survive in temps 110 and over so the fairway is very soft and the rough is thick. About 230 from the tee, the fairway slopes down to a tier and a great drive can make it to the tier but more often than not stops on the slope leaving 200 to 180 because there is just about zero roll. In the middle of winter the fairways get hard and fast with dormant Bermuda rough that is evenr faster, so not only will the exact same drive easily make it to the tier, another drop about 260 out can roll all the way to the bottom of the hill leaving a 150-130 shot. The legendary 300 yd drive for a senior is possible on this hole in the winter with the same 230 yd carry off the tee that only produced a 240yd drive in summer. These are the kind of fairways most Pro's play, especially Champions an LPGA although quite a few normal PGA stops have that kind of roll. 

... Sounds great to have 100 yds of roll and of course it is when you are in the fairway but hit one off line and you are thinking sit, Sit, SIT! as you watch it roll to a bunker, water or the rocky desert. For me spring and fall are best with a good combination of carry without excessive roll but enough to produce good yardages into greens. I do think Carry is King because when it is soft and slow a low drive isn't gonna get much roll and if it is hard and fast you will still get a ton roll with max carry even with a high trajectory as long as your AOD is decent. Anyone that has not been to a tour event would be surprised at just how crazy high the Pros hit their drives. 

Some of them also hit those towering drives with a tight draw on them and they just go scampering down the fairway after landing.

I love watching #10 at The Masters. They way they hook those 3w's down that hill is fun to watch.

Edited by brutal brutus