Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Kirkland v2

brutal brutus

Put one of these thru a true test yesterday at The Vineyard.

Early in the round, i hit two trees dead center and then bounced it off the cart path on the par3 4th. I was expecting it to be unusable after watching some reviews and hearing some of you guys talk about them. The second tree hit did leave a small cut all the way thru the urethane cover but it didn't seem to scuff up any worse than the other balls I've used recently.

With there not being ball washers on my local courses yet(cold temps), i had been throwing any that picked up an excessive amount of mud back in the bag to clean  later but i kept cleaning this one off and using it just to see how "bad" it got. It seemed to perform just like the fresh ones up until i hit a "practice" shot with it on 9's tee and forgot to pick it up.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

On 3/2/2022 at 5:42 AM, brutal brutus said:

Finally got out for a round yesterday and I'm liking these balls more and more. They have tremendous stopping power on the greens(especially noticeable on chip shots) but at the same time, I don't really notice any loss of distance off the tee like some have stated.

I recently played with a low single index player here in Yuma who was playing Kirkland.  This guy plays blue tees and is one of the longer hitters I've seen/played with in the area. I figured they must be the originals but, nope, the V2's. He knew all about the MGS ball test data (not a member) and prevailing thoughts about these balls. I asked why he chooses this ball and his answer was simple; "they flat out compete with any balls I've played".  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

24 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I recently played with a low single index player here in Yuma who was playing Kirkland.  This guy plays blue tees and is one of the longer hitters I've seen/played with in the area. I figured they must be the originals but, nope, the V2's. He knew all about the MGS ball test data (not a member) and prevailing thoughts about these balls. I asked why he chooses this ball and his answer was simple; "they flat out compete with any balls I've played".  

But the question is...  Did you ask why he wasn't a MGS member?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

17 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

But the question is...  Did you ask why he wasn't a MGS member?

No, I didn't want to come across as a pushy salesman 😉.  I've run across a handful of folks on courses who know about MGS.  Some are aware of the forum but only lurk while others only from the HQ testing and first look articles. I guess some just aren't into the social media world.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

50 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

No, I didn't want to come across as a pushy salesman 😉.  I've run across a handful of folks on courses who know about MGS.  Some are aware of the forum but only lurk while others only from the HQ testing and first look articles. I guess some just aren't into the social media world.

I understand.  Martha mentions MGS when she meets new people when they discuss golf clubs.  Many have heard of MGS, but never express an interest in the forum.  I have my bag tag, and if anyone mentions it, then I talk about MGS.  Doesn't happen very often.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Martha mentions MGS when she meets new people when they discuss golf clubs.  Many have heard of MGS, but never express an interest in the forum.  I have my bag tag, and if anyone mentions it, then I talk about MGS.  Doesn't happen very often.

... Yup. When people seem to have an even rudimentary understanding of golf clubs I ask if they read any golf forums and like you I find "doesn't happen very often". 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

On 2/21/2022 at 8:24 PM, [email protected] said:

And, you’re modest too! 

You ain’t kidding 

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

On 3/4/2022 at 12:04 PM, chisag said:

... Yup. When people seem to have an even rudimentary understanding of golf clubs I ask if they read any golf forums and like you I find "doesn't happen very often". 

There was a younger kid, 16-18 or so, that told me he liked my "MyGolfSpy driver head cover." That was the one and only time for me. 

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Like anything everyone’s experience is different. I’m a 13 handicap and my driver has way too much spin which isn’t helped by these balls. The key is finding something that works for your game in a price you’re comfortable with. 

Driver:    image.png.ec6bade2df98cb7d5aede4a0a4329936.png LTDx LS10.5* 

3-wood:     image.png.e14bdc3c2ba3ec551ce39db6a9b11f64.pngLTDx 15* 

3 hybrid:  image.png.deae3a77e572f8e9b997ebd84d5161eb.pngTsi3 20*

Irons:  image.png.2dc5bdb33664fa9386091c2cd26565eb.png P790 2019

Wedges:  image.png.a3b6eadd0d4a4bc5cae212cbb0ffc7c9.pngMG3 50* image.png.deae3a77e572f8e9b997ebd84d5161eb.pngSM8 54/10* and 58/14*

Putter:  image.png.d7e3e2224cccd34f343025e577e4854f.png Cadence TR Ketch

Backup:  image.png.c4263dd278ffabd32a9d6cda69b9a086.png Special Select Newport 2 w. BGT Tour 2 Polar Stability Shaft

Ball:  image.png.c7a2b0410b8d89600c1dc77e396be6d2.pngPro-V 1x 

image.png.d62838b5e53334be2104fce83c0a7973.png

Four out of the five balls I find lying lost on the course I play most often are Kirkland. Maybe at their price point, their former owners don't bother looking for them. I don't know v1 vs v2, but drop them all in a basket near the clubhouse in case someone wants them. They hold no appeal to me.

• TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S
  • TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
  • Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

On 1/6/2022 at 5:49 PM, brutal brutus said:

I just had a friend from my disc golfing crew that has a membership pick up 4dz for me and 2dz for my golfing buddy. I shouldn't have to buy balls all year... and hopefully two lol.

Is it "illegal" to dye balls? I imagine the right vegitable dye could make a decent stain to make them yellow...

...or better yet, a chartreuse fishing lure dye might be even better.

There are online videos. I tried to dye Pro-Vs, wasn’t happy with the results. I wouldn’t try them in competition as a “foreign agent” has been applied to the ball. But for a Saturday sawbuck, have fun. There is a Maxflight Tour that had a price of $25 a dozen. Has a better rating than the Kirkland. Might try those for charity scrambles where I would take the risky shot I wouldn’t take in competition. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

You get what you pay for. For a midweek game with the fellas they are playable, for anything other than that, premium is premium. Single digits can tell the difference and consistency of quality matters. I scuff them up before I lose them. 

I used to play the V2 exclusively because I lost balls off the tee very regularly. As I’ve gotten better, I’ve switched to the Maxfli Tour CG. 

Because of their spin characteristics (a lot), they would be good to use if you get to a course with very firm greens that are hard to get your normal ball to check up. I played a firm course last week but didn’t have any on me to try and compare their ability to check up on the green. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

• 5 weeks later...

I finally was able to go to Costco about a month ago as we now live 300kms from the nearest one and picked up a box. Since then I have managed to play 6 rounds with them. Overall I am reasonably impressed. The only negative is the click sound they make when putting which indicates they are harder. However I have found little difference in distance or stopping power compared to my usual ball (Seed 01) or Pro V1’s.

Note: I had not tried a Pro V1x until I found a couple the other day and I have to say that the KIRKLAND’s feel and performance was almost identical. 

I still prefer the sound of the Seed off the putter but for the price $48AUD (2 Doz) they are 1/2 the price of the Seed and almost 1/3 the price of Pro V1’s.

Considering the way I am playing lately, I have lost 8 balls in the last 5 rounds I find that these golf balls for the money are excellent value and that the positives out way the one negative.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 3 months later...

I just had a friend from my disc golfing crew that has a membership pick up 4dz for me and 2dz for my golfing buddy. I shouldn't have to buy balls all year... and hopefully two lol.

I can't believe i had to do it but i just received another 2dz box of Kirklands off of Amazon, lol. I've played a crapload of golf this year and between dunking them in ponds, plugging them in wet spring fairways, losing them in tall grass/woods or just leaving them after a few minutes looking with no luck, retiring 8 or so after they hit rocks/cart paths/and one that got nearly cut in half(when i hit it into a high tension power line tower from about 20yds away after i failed to punch a 6i thru its legs lol), giving two sleeves away to random people i got paired with as a walkon, etc etc etc... I have managed to go thru all but two sleeves of the 5dz i purchased over the winter... 

It's ridiculous how many balls i go thru... I guess i never really noticed it before. Back when i was playing a lot in the early 2000's, i didn't have to buy balls as i worked at a course and found plenty(I still have a bag in the garage with a couple dozen xl2000s, DT 90s, Nike's and assorted other balls).

As far as performance goes, i couldn't be happier. They are excellent balls and I'm sure glad i only spent $70 on those instead of the $150-$250 i could have spent on "better" more expensive ones.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

• 3 months later...

The version 2 Kirklands are very good. I can't imagine any 13+ handicap would really tell any difference in performance from any other premium ball. They may (stress MAY) scuff a little easier than others, but not that easily. Distance-wise and for holding greens, these match up well with most any top ball.

• 4 months later...

By value, the V2s cannot be topped. I personally prefer the Vice Pro, which has about the same score as the V2s, but spins a bit less. Kirkland’s gloves are also fantastic.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

This past Christmas my wife gave me a box of 24 of the Kirkland V2's.  I have to admit I would not have purchased them for myself.  However I find I quite like them, and you really cannot beat the price point.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

I love the KS v2 but the spin is too much for me off the tee. I'm a higher swing speed, higher spin guy so these things are kind of like golf roulette. I did use them on par 3s and with my high launch angle they would stick impressively well. I've noticed that they've gone missing from the Costco warehouses near me - could a v3 be on the horizon or just an inventory gap?

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

24 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

They were marked at $19.97 for a two dozen pack today at Costco.  That's the cheapest I've ever seen them.

How did I miss that? I was right next to them and bought some gloves…..

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

4 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

How did I miss that? I was right next to them and bought some gloves…..

Rumor has it that anything marked .97 at Costco is code for not coming back.  Just a rumor but I have to wonder why they were marked so low?  Just a few weeks ago they were $27.99.

Tour Edge Exotics

Cleveland

Odyssey

1 hour ago, NC Golfer said:

Another rumor has it, there will be a new yellow ball.

There is a yellow ball on the conforming list.  Costco has had a few balls on the list that never made it to production so let's hope this time we see it in stores.  Even better would be a new 4 piece yellow and white. 

There is a reason they are marked .97 and it makes no sense to blow them out unless they are making room for something else.

Tour Edge Exotics

Cleveland

Odyssey

On 4/4/2023 at 2:00 PM, bekgolf said:

There is a yellow ball on the conforming list.  Costco has had a few balls on the list that never made it to production so let's hope this time we see it in stores.  Even better would be a new 4 piece yellow and white. 

There is a reason they are marked .97 and it makes no sense to blow them out unless they are making room for something else.

Music to my ears - I'm a huge fan of the Kirkland ball (along with the golf gloves) so I'd love to see a new ball from them soon!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I have used the Kirkland sand hit them well. However I find that after a second round, they lose a bit of distance. Other better balls (pro V, TP5, or Chrome X) can usually last 3-4 rounds before degrading.

The Big Man