TESTERS WANTED! ×

Footjoy FTS 3 spike removal

Firebird

I am of the opinion the golf shoe manufacturers make removing spikes so difficult that you thing it is easier to buy new shoes than try to replace the worn out spikes.

I just spent an hour trying to remove the spikes and only managed to remove one. Tried the correct tool, all it did was strip out the holes, tried vice grips but even they could not get enough grip to allow them to twist out.

Anyone got any ideas or tips to removing them?

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I purchased a tool made by Softspikes. It has two different tips. There is an aggressive tip that you just press into the spike and it digs in and removes them easily. Then I use the two prong to install new ones. This is the best tool I've ever had for spikes. It is also a ratchet type. It has a switch for forward, reverse, and locked. The two bits store in the handle.

IMG_1886.jpg.eaa30f661325ad5ba8310ffa4f3b9886.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg.d483696ae6d6f17e2dc7809574faa8a0.jpg

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Tom is correct! That tool that grabs around all the spikes works the best.  I have one as well. Then after fully cleaning the spike receptacles the 2 pronged tool easily works to replace the spikes.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I just removed mine about 2 weeks ago using that tool. Still required some elbow grease but I was able to get everything replaced. Only reason I had an issue was some of the spikes were falling apart , ripping or lost grip to the base of the shoe

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Place your shoes into a shallow pan (i.e - baking sheet). Pour enough hot water into the pan to submerge most of the soles and let them soak for 10-15 min. Spikes should be much easier to remove. Clean out the sole threads with an old toothbrush and flush with clean water prior to installing new spikes.

Using the treatment above, I’ve been able to hand turn out spikes that wouldn’t budge with a proper wrench. 

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

• 3 weeks later...

Tom is on the money. I have one as well, pretty sure it was called the Cleat Ripper at some point. Once you get the spike out, a small amount of petroleum jelly on the threads when you fasten the new ones in will go a long way to saving you the headache at removal time. 

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Driver

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Irons

Mizuno MP R12 Wedges

TM Daytona 1 Rossa

I have used  a pair of tile nippers in my shop to grip and turn out stubborn spikes.  Works for almost all brands of spikes.  Some were crew out - some were short twist type.  The methods above all work in many ways.  Keep clean and change at appropriate time are of extreme importance. 

I might have to look into that tool.  I go old school and just use a needle nose pliers and rip 'em out.  You have to dig a little to get a solid bite and pull pretty hard but come out - sometimes flying.  They are plastic and I have yet to damage a receptacle.  Perhaps not the factory recommended method but if you don't have that tool and need to get it done in a hurry you can get 'er done.

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

The ripper is NOT the best answer.  Your best bet is the pan of warm water.  Ensure that the soles of the shoes are completely in the water and let them soak for at least twenty minutes.  An accumulation of soil around the spikes from not properly cleaning them after wearing the shoes is what causes the cleats to lock in.  The warm water dissolves the dirt and a good ratchet wrench will easily loosen the spikes.  Downlowkey hit it on the nails head.  I have been doing this for years and recommended it to those who are frustrated with locked in spikes.  We have been able to get spikes out that have been worn all the way down.  As a FJ Ambassador it is the one thing I and my fellow Ambassadors recommend to this question on the FJ site.       

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I use the tool talked about by others. I still have run into problems where I had to bring in needle nose pliers to finally get them out. I have since started using petroleum jelly on new cleats and they do come out very easily using the tool. The best thing to do is change your spikes yearly and clean bottom of shoe very well before starting to take ols spikes out.

WITB:

Driver - Callaway BB Alpha 9* Kuro Kage 50g. Reg. Shaft - 45"

3 Wood - Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Pro 14.5* Project X 5.5

5 Wood - Callaway XR 19* Project X 5.5

3 - 5 Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrids 18*, 22*, & 25* w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft

6 - PW - Callaway Apex w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft - Standard length & lofts 

GW, SW & LW - Hogan TK - 49*, 54* & 58* - KBS fst - Wedge flex

Putter - Ping - Mid Ketsch Heavy - 33"

I can empathize as I just went through this two days ago and it took a solid hour. I wished that I had done the water trick as I think that would have turned grit into mud and they would have come out more easily. As it was, i had a cheaper version of the tool described above, but it didn't work. Spikes felt like they were glued in. What did work was this: drill (carefully) with a 1/8" bit in the middle of the tee and then take needle nose pliers to get a firm grip on the spike and turn. This worked. I think I could have gotten the effort down to about 20 minutes knowing what I know now. I'd also argue that carefully cleaning the everything will also help to reduce the grit in the future. Final thoughts - don't wait a couple of years to do this. 

Ping g410 LST

Titleist 917f2 5 wood

Titleist H1 21d hybrid

Titleist u100 4 iron

Ping i500 5 - PW

Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60

Worst case scenario, the needle nose pliers is what I was able to use to unscrew those difficult spikes.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I’ve used the soft spike ratchet in removing spikes and replacing them and have found it to still be difficult at times removing the spikes. I get them removed and replaced but it takes some elbow grease for sure. At times I think it would be easier to buy new shoes.  I do have a couple pair of spineless shoes to go along with my spikes ones though. 

Golfnut

I use the Softspikes tool.  But if I’m missing a part of the spike, the claw won’t grip. And the holes never seem deep enough for the pins to grip well.  So I do the hot water soak, then drill out the holes.  Old spikes come right out.  Make sure you clean the threads before installing new ones.  The tool works well on new spike installation.

Callaway Paradym X driver

Callaway Paradym 5 and 7 fairways, + 1/2 inch shafts

Ping 20, 24, 27, and 31 degree hybrids, +2 inch shafts

Ping 6-9 G10 irons, +2 inch shaft on 6, then constant shaft length 7-9

Callaway 46 deg. wedge, same length as 6 iron

Ping 54 deg. wedge, same length as 6 iron

Callaway ERC soft yellow

I’m 6 feet, 8 inches tall so need the extra length shafts