Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

OPINION - 2012 Cobra Golf's New Website

GolfSpy_X

Ummm I mean they the AMP driver looks really cool from a design aspect, but I am not sure it completely works on a driver, or any golf club for that matter.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

Well, it sure is colorful. And their helpful calculator told me that I could gain 18 yards by switching from my current driver to the Long Tom (no data provided about the direction of said extra 18 yards).

After a few rounds of golf, the sole of that AMP driver is going to look like Starsky and Hutch's Gran Torino after a car chase.

Cleveland Black 10.5*

Ping G15 4W

Cleveland Mashie 18*

Cleveland Mashie 23*

Ping G15 5-W

Eidolon 51*

Ping G20 SW

Mizuno/Bettinardi BC-01

Looks like they are going with the Rickie Fowler route...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

It looks like a complete switch from the usual Cobra target audience. I like the AMP driver and irons from address. The cavity on the irons has a lot going on though.

Wouldn't mind a set of the orange grips though...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I think you hit it on the head with "Out from under Titleist's shadow". They seem to be going as far from the Titleist (traditional, classy) route as possible. I guess the idea is to appeal to younger golfers, but I'm fairly young (sorta, I think) and I think this ORANGE!! theme is gross. I can't say there's anything they're doing right now that I feel the need to try or buy.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I think you hit it on the head with "Out from under Titleist's shadow". They seem to be going as far from the Titleist (traditional, classy) route as possible. I guess the idea is to appeal to younger golfers, but I'm fairly young (sorta, I think) and I think this ORANGE!! theme is gross. I can't say there's anything they're doing right now that I feel the need to try or buy.

Agree! I don't like the route that their taking with the Fowler scheme, I think its already gone overboard. It's a bit dramatic and desperate if you ask me, but I'm also a traditionalists. Let's just hope they don't start designing clubs for John Daly!

Orange glad Cobra is using orange on the AMP !!!!

Driver-Wishon 715CLC- AXE5 A shaft tipeed 1/2"
Fairway -Sonartec SS-02 17*-SS Series Penley Regular shaft
Hybrid-21 & 25 degree Trident DSW Hybrid-UST Irod regular shaft
(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)
Wedges-52-Wilson Staff JP II BeCu(Bent from 54*) TT Release R   hard stepped

56-Wilson Sandy Andy BeCu-TT Release R tipped same as 8 iron

60-Wilson Harmonized BeCu-(shaft same as 56*)
Putter-Nickent Tour Prototype Milled #1-35.5"-5* loft-74*Lie

Looks like they are going with the Rickie Fowler route...

My thoughts exactly; it looks like they either let Fowler and Poulter pick their color scheme or maybe a kindergartener. The Baffler fairway would look pretty pimp if it didn't have the neon green lines on the top.

I do think I might pick up a Long Tom in 8*.

My thoughts exactly; it looks like they either let Fowler and Poulter pick their color scheme or maybe a kindergartener. The Baffler fairway would look pretty pimp if it didn't have the neon green lines on the top.

I do think I might pick up a Long Tom in 8*.

I won't be buying one, but I did have a crazy demo experience with the Long Tom. The launch monitor claimed I got something like an 8-10MPH ballspeed bump when I put the Long Tom against a standard length driver. It didn't feel as ridiculously long as I thought it would either. All that said, my driver game is about minimizing damage, not driving par 4's, so no Long Tom for me.

All that said, my driver game is about minimizing damage, not driving par 4's, so no Long Tom for me.

I went that route last year, with a 43.5" driver and I didn't hit any more fairways than if I tried to hit it 300+ with a 46.5". My idea is if I wanna play from the fairway, I just leave the driver at home and play a 3W into the fairway all day long. I'm going to play a long course Friday and I'm gonna hit 3W all day and see what I shoot, that will probably help me decide whether I get a new driver or 3W.

Interesting decision not to offer the Long Tom in anything greater than 10*--in effect, it's probably a case of saving hackers from themselves, although you'd think the "added distance" hook would be particularly attractive to the high-lofted demographic. Does extending the shaft out to 48" (or, FOAR FEETZ!) have an impact on launch angle that makes a higher loft impractical or unnecessary?

Cleveland Black 10.5*

Ping G15 4W

Cleveland Mashie 18*

Cleveland Mashie 23*

Ping G15 5-W

Eidolon 51*

Ping G20 SW

Mizuno/Bettinardi BC-01

They are putting all their eggs into one small basket. Younger Rickie Fowler type guys. I don't think their execution is very good for a big company. Sure the site is professionally designed, but it has no wow factor except for the orange color. Orange is not even a very popular color overall - the site is just different, not breathtaking. Trendy looking sites can still pack a big punch and this one doesn't. I see this as the inevitable conclusion to running out of ideas for technology and only having big marketing campaigns to sale goods.

I spy with my little eye something...

Colors aside, the web site is very well done, everything is laid out great and finding a club is easy. I think it's a solid B+

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I think its a very very good commercial approach from Cobra.

They know they have no chance to change older golfers mentality towards Taylormade or Callaway (I'm talking about the old average golfer who buys every new driver expecting to increase the 20 more yards lol).

So, should they compete in such already crowded market? I guess they are trying to play on the junior's spot. Younger kids love Fowler, and love orange-lime green- aqua stuff. Why not target them? Now that their "idol" Tiger is almost done, there is a big market for younger players who try to separate themselves from their grandpa´s Titleist clubs.

If kids grow up playing Cobra, there is a big change their "mature" set might be a cobra as well. So, give the kids good performing clubs which look like they want, and they will buy the older version as well.

Pretty smart move in a difficult business..

I like the site and appreciate one marketing strategy in particular. They have placed the "distance" driver in it's own unique category. Instead of sneaking another .5 or 1" onto their stock driver for distance purposes, they have implicitly said if you really want 20+ additional yards, here is the only way to do it with clubs alone.

Is this year going to be the "Year of the Cheese". I'm sorry but RocketBallz and the Amp line looking like a Walmart special, something is wrong with the market research. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I just can't see people buying Neon golf clubs.

• SPY VIP

Is this year going to be the "Year of the Cheese". I'm sorry but RocketBallz and the Amp line looking like a Walmart special, something is wrong with the market research. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I just can't see people buying Neon golf clubs.

Cobra is clearly reaching out to a specific demographic; the younger, Rickie Fowler club. I expect they'll do well, but I do worry that if they go too hard after a specific demographic they may do so to the exclusion of all others.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I think its a very very good commercial approach from Cobra.

They know they have no chance to change older golfers mentality towards Taylormade or Callaway (I'm talking about the old average golfer who buys every new driver expecting to increase the 20 more yards lol).

So, should they compete in such already crowded market? I guess they are trying to play on the junior's spot. Younger kids love Fowler, and love orange-lime green- aqua stuff. Why not target them? Now that their "idol" Tiger is almost done, there is a big market for younger players who try to separate themselves from their grandpa´s Titleist clubs.

If kids grow up playing Cobra, there is a big change their "mature" set might be a cobra as well. So, give the kids good performing clubs which look like they want, and they will buy the older version as well.

Pretty smart move in a difficult business..

Not to hijack the thread, but...

Xamilo, to address your point about their targeted marketing demographic, while I understand that based off of their flash and sponsored tour players their going after the young crowd, I struggle to see how this is a viable product strategy for the modern reality of Golf. Teenagers, in general, do not have the money or desire to purchase a set off golf clubs unless they have achieved a higher level of proficiency in the game. With said proficiency there would seem to be a desire for higher performing clubs, brands which commonly include, Titleist, Mizuno, Taylormade etc. When they are younger, their parents would have to buy the clubs or they would receive hand me downs. Again, at this stage any club would have to be cheap and if cobra's prices are right, I could see them gaining an edge here. This would inherently be a small market though (How often do you see a crowd of teenagers going to Golfsmith for example), with limited possibilities for growth due to their lineup. IMO a progressive lineup similar to Callaway except with Fowler as the initial draw in for the emerging junior/20's golfer would be the smart move...

One other point - If they gained this market share, they would simultaneously gain the stigma of beginner clubs - an idea that they in part convey through their new marketing as, to look at their Iron line up for a second, they all qualify as Game Improvement. This, in my opinion, severely limits their opportunities for a continued customer loyalty due to the reasons posted above.

It might be true that they will have a difficult time getting older golfers to switch to Cobra clubs; however, I feel that in attempting to target such a young audience they are leaving out the golfers in their late 20's to 40's which might be one of the largest groups to market to. I think the clubs (and the website) are well done, but they are a little over the top for me.

Driver: Cleveland Classic Custom 9 degrees with Matrix Black Tie Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Nike VR Pro Limited edition with Diamana Ahina X-stiff shaft

3 hybrid: Adams A12 pro (20 degrees) with RIP X-stiff shaft

4-PW: Titleist AP2 with True Tember Dynamic Gold X-300 shaft

52 degree wedge: Cleveland CG15

56 degree Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60 degree wedge: Cleveland 588 forged

Putter: Edel custom with Flatso mid grip

I've been reading all the responses and thinking on this a bit more, and I feel like this is going to be a marketing angle/branding idea that we're only going to be able to judge a few years down the line. If Cobra flops and gets sold to Golfsmith, then the idea was stupid. If all the little Fowler wannabes get their moms and dads to buy them orange drivers, and then continue to buy Cobra clubs in their 20's, 30's and beyond...well, I guess it was genius.

Not to hijack the thread, but...

When they are younger, their parents would have to buy the clubs or they would receive hand me downs. Again, at this stage any club would have to be cheap and if cobra's prices are right, I could see them gaining an edge here. This would inherently be a small market though (How often do you see a crowd of teenagers going to Golfsmith for example), with limited possibilities for growth due to their lineup. IMO a progressive lineup similar to Callaway except with Fowler as the initial draw in for the emerging junior/20's golfer would be the smart move...

One other point - If they gained this market share, they would simultaneously gain the stigma of beginner clubs - an idea that they in part convey through their new marketing as, to look at their Iron line up for a second, they all qualify as Game Improvement. This, in my opinion, severely limits their opportunities for a continued customer loyalty due to the reasons posted above.

CLubs wouldn't have the need to be cheap. The fact young golfers have no income doesn't mean their parents are not going to sponsor "the best they can afford" for their golfer kids, and in no way it makes them "beginner clubs". Do you see "good young players" playing WalMart clubs very often? No, they play Nike, Taylormade, etc, just like their "older counterparts" or their golfing idols. If Cobra can make kids grow up with some "brand loyalty", they will keep buying their clubs in the future. I guess that's why they keep a "normal" line of clubs with the S3 series and I would expect the beautiful forged iron line to be kept.

It might be true that they will have a difficult time getting older golfers to switch to Cobra clubs; however, I feel that in attempting to target such a young audience they are leaving out the golfers in their late 20's to 40's which might be one of the largest groups to market to. I think the clubs (and the website) are well done, but they are a little over the top for me.

Indeed its the largest group to market, but there is too much competence in that group as well, while the younger audience has been left a little bit behind. Again brands liek Taylormade and Callaway are way too far ahead in the 20-40 section, so, why not try to invest in another portion as Adams did with the Champions Tour? Adams strategy brought younger people to try their products after watching them being played in the CT with figures like Tom Watson ahead of their publicity, and Adams Golf has grown inmensly since then.

• SPY VIP

Indeed its the largest group to market, but there is too much competence in that group as well, while the younger audience has been left a little bit behind. Again brands liek Taylormade and Callaway are way too far ahead in the 20-40 section, so, why not try to invest in another portion as Adams did with the Champions Tour? Adams strategy brought younger people to try their products after watching them being played in the CT with figures like Tom Watson ahead of their publicity, and Adams Golf has grown inmensly since then.

I think there are plenty of 20-somethings with plenty of cash who will embrace the new Cobra designs. What I've learned from conversation and observation, however; is that Cobra has a big following among the seniors. At my club, for example, almost without fail the over 60 crowd either has PING or Cobra in their bag. The older guys I've spoken with, including one of our regular testers, thus far, are not enthused about the looks of the latest Cobra offerings.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

The new website looks fresh and different. It might be a little congested, but overall the bright color theme and layout works. Newest clubs front and center with other new releases and blog posts a little lower down.

The new color schemes might be a bit drastic for the amp line, but look at some of the other stuff they have released. The long tom is extreme, but overall it is a fairly simple design and color scheme black on black. The new trusty rusty wedges look pretty solid and simple. No fancy paint scheme or design, just a spinoff on a older club design. Finally the new T-rail woods are among the best looking on the market coming in 2012. They have appealing lines and a not so extreme paint scheme. The sight lines on the top might be an eye sore to some, but overall i think it is just enough flare to set the club apart from other club giants without simply whipping out the white in the spray both

I've been reading all the responses and thinking on this a bit more, and I feel like this is going to be a marketing angle/branding idea that we're only going to be able to judge a few years down the line. If Cobra flops and gets sold to Golfsmith, then the idea was stupid. If all the little Fowler wannabes get their moms and dads to buy them orange drivers, and then continue to buy Cobra clubs in their 20's, 30's and beyond...well, I guess it was genius.

Can't predict the future, but i think Cobra-Puma Golf has a lot taking the bait. Just think about all the kids you see at tournaments wearing their sunday orange and the puma hats. Puma is a flashy European influence brand that sells expensive clothes and sets trends.

Here's the math:

Puma Monoline Hat: $30

Puma Shirt Basic Solid: $55 Graphic Design: Up to $85

Puma Shorts: $65

Puma Shoes: $150-250

Puma Total @ Checkout for one outfit - $300 Low End -- $430 High End

If parents/kids are paying that for one outfit. I bet they are dying to pay $500-$700 for irons, $300 for a Driver, $180 for a fairway, and don't forget $150 for a hybrid!

Can't predict the future, but i think Cobra-Puma Golf has a lot taking the bait. Just think about all the kids you see at tournaments wearing their sunday orange and the puma hats. Puma is a flashy European influence brand that sells expensive clothes and sets trends.

Here's the math:

Puma Monoline Hat: $30

Puma Shirt Basic Solid: $55 Graphic Design: Up to $85

Puma Shorts: $65

Puma Shoes: $150-250

Puma Total @ Checkout for one outfit - $300 Low End -- $430 High End

If parents/kids are paying that for one outfit. I bet they are dying to pay $500-$700 for irons, $300 for a Driver, $180 for a fairway, and don't forget $150 for a hybrid!

You make a good point about the growing acceptance/love for Puma (and how damned expensive it is), but my question is: will that translate to Cobra? Obviously having Fowler wearing Puma and playing Cobra will help, but I don't know that it's a lock. I think it's asking a lot. Currently at my shop, no one asks to hit the Cobra stuff, it's all TM, Mizuno, Titleist. Since "kids" are (in my opinion) that most brand-washed of anyone, I think it's a wide chasm that Cobra has to cross to become the club of choice among the Fowler-wannabe set.

Just wait until the infomercial hits the airwaves........I'm sure they have one in production to match the comic book design of the Amp.

Currently, I am gaming the S2...have both the 10.5 & 11.5....the 11.5 keeps me in the short grass.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I don't care if the damn thing is neon orange with some green and black added if it gets me a few more yards or gets me in another fairway or 2 its in the bag.

Archived