Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Difficulty completing my backswing

I am not able to complete my backswing. My lead arm actually points down in the backswing at 65-70 degrees, not 90 (parallel). What are good exercises to regain range of motion in the backswing? I have a desk job for many years which is not helping and getting over a (target side) frozen shoulder too.

Edited by NC Golfer

Two totally different answers for you:

1) for more range of motion, work with a sports trainer, a TPI coach or a good physical therapist. I started doing yoga a few days a week this fall and that has me feeling better. 

2) 90* is irrelevant. Watch John Rahm only turn 70 or so degrees. Tempo and swing path are orders of magnitude more important. Don't stress about getting to 90. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

A big plus 1 for the previous post.  Yoga and any other stretching or flexibility exercises will help a lot.  I turned back the clock about 10 years in how my back feels by concentrating on stretching and core strength.

And your most repeatable swing may not end up being the picture perfect Adam Scott or fill in the blank swing due to physical limitations you have.  Get to the best swing you are capable of and don't worry about how it compares to anyone else.  Wrist and elbow damage keep me from a proper wrist set but I finally quit worrying about it and play with the back swing my body lets me have.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

A TPI m2 professional along with a TPI golf pro would be a good start to evaluate any possible limitations and to develop a plan to work on improving them and to develop a swing that works with what your body can’t do.

Completing a backswing doesn’t have to be a 90* plus turn. The turn and swing length marching is what’s important. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You may have physical limitations or you may not be utilizing your body correctly when rotating in the backswing.  That's why an evaluation is important as mentioned above.  If your hips don't turn properly, then your upper body will turn less which limits arm swing.  You just highlighted my last lesson with Monte.  I could not rotate as much as he would like me too.  Could I rotate more? Sure... until a golf ball was in front of me!!  😂

Chances are you aren't maximizing the rotation you have available, but flexibility exercises will certainly help.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 hours ago, Kenny B said:

You may have physical limitations or you may not be utilizing your body correctly when rotating in the backswing.  That's why an evaluation is important as mentioned above.  If your hips don't turn properly, then your upper body will turn less which limits arm swing.  You just highlighted my last lesson with Monte.  I could not rotate as much as he would like me too.  Could I rotate more? Sure... until a golf ball was in front of me!!  😂

Chances are you aren't maximizing the rotation you have available, but flexibility exercises will certainly help.

Good call, I do have trouble rotating in the backswing. I can do it in practice and extend the trail leg a little. As you said, put a ball there and it's tough to do. Concentrating on hip rotation makes it easy to lose the flow of a real swing.  

On 12/28/2021 at 10:03 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

A TPI m2 professional along with a TPI golf pro would be a good start to evaluate any possible limitations and to develop a plan to work on improving them and to develop a swing that works with what your body can’t do.

Completing a backswing doesn’t have to be a 90* plus turn. The turn and swing length marching is what’s important. 

Turns out there's a TPI PT and another golf fitness trainer near my home. I will be checking them out. The TPI web site was helpful to find these folks. Thanks!  https://www.mytpi.com/experts

Edited by NC Golfer

Yoga, as well as any other stretching or flexibility activities, will be quite beneficial. My back feels better when I go back 2 years and focus on stretching and core strength when I was in a Physiotherapy Clinic, and they were so nice and helpful that I was able to recover rapidly from my back pain problems. Their service went above and beyond my expectations.

Edited by mattpobrien4

9 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

Turns out there's a TPI PT and another golf fitness trainer near my home. I will be checking them out. The TPI web site was helpful to find these folks. Thanks!  https://www.mytpi.com/experts

That’s awesome. My chiro is tpi certified. He golfs and also weight trains so makes it easy to work with him on any issues I have from golf or powerlifting training.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Went for my Golf PT evaluation! It was an eye opener. It was only an evaluation and I learned alot. How the issue (tightness) is in my thoracic spine (upper-mid back), it's locked up with little rotation, putting all of the motion in the backswing and pressure in my lower back (back pain). Never would have came up with this on my own. Basically, between that and a weak trail hip, tight hamstrings, that is why I can't stay in posture in my backswing and it caused knee pain too.  I think this is a 1,000 percent better than any new driver or swing tip found on youtube. Found this 40 years too late. But, at least I found it and looking forward to gaining flexibility and strength to be a better golfer and feel better. Also, the PT and trainer never received a client lead from the TPI web site. They thought that was cool.  Thanks, to everyone who posted in this thread!

Edited by NC Golfer

39 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

Went for my Golf PT evaluation! It was an eye opener. It was only an evaluation and I learned alot. How the issue (tightness) is in my thoracic spine (upper-mid back), it's locked up with little rotation, putting all of the motion in the backswing and pressure in my lower back (back pain). Never would have came up with this on my own. Basically, between that and a weak trail hip, tight hamstrings, that is why I can't stay in posture in my backswing and it caused knee pain too.  I think this is a 1,000 percent better than any new driver or swing tip found on youtube. Found this 40 years too late. But, at least I found it and looking forward to gaining flexibility and strength to be a better golfer and feel better. Also, the PT and trainer never received a client lead from the TPI web site. They thought that was cool.  Thanks, to everyone who posted in this thread!

Awesome to hear you were able to get to the root of the problem.

Now, how will you solve it?  Were you prescribed specific exercises or an overall regimen to pursue?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

13 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Awesome to hear you were able to get to the root of the problem.

Now, how will you solve it?  Were you prescribed specific exercises or an overall regimen to pursue?

Thanks! The plan is to get hands on treatment, including maipulation. I was surprised that the PT pushed on my back like a chiropractor. 2-3 treatments with the PT, get exercises and then I will get more hands on guidance from the trainer. I'll report back. The first real session is next Wednesday, I'll know more.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, 3 visits into the TPI medical golf PT. Lots of progress on the frozen shoulder (stretching and manipulation) and making progress on rotation for the mid-upper back. Have been given the following exercises open book (for rotation in upper-mid back), thoracic extension for the lower traps (using foam roller) and more. Today I was given a really cool one. Get on all fours, put the foam roller parallel (towards arms) to left side, slide right hand/arm palm up and roll through, giving an awesome stretch and rotation - good for the golf turn! Do the same on the opposite side. Next up, seeing the TPI golf trainer! It's seems really expensive when considering it. But, the knowledge you gain is priceless.

Edited by NC Golfer