Let’s see some 2021 Accomplishments/2022 Goals

• Mtbryant01 changed the title to Let’s see some 2021 Accomplishments/2022 Goals
39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I didn't achieve my goals for this year and my scoring is going the wrong way.   I did improve my short game play and am more comfortable with finesse and distance wedges.    Iron and tee play has gone the wrong way.    

My goals for this year are pretty much the same as they have been for a while:   1.   Break 70  2.  Get my scoring average down to 75  

Have started the process of looking for a new instructor to take a look at me swing and see if we can get it straightened out.  

Improving the short game play is huge. Even if your missing greens, getting up and down let’s say every other time is huge. I don’t know about you, but I love it when I’m able to judge a chip shot perfectly and leave a makeable 5-10’ par putt. Now getting to where I chip less is another story…

• Like 7

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

I'd like to share this quote from Old Tom Morris as we consider what our goals are for 2022.

2022380295_OldTomMorris.jpeg.fc5893b2412cff0d844a910b87cb14db.jpeg

I didn't go back to look at what I posted last year for goals, but I would have to say that I would have met them.

Spent 3 days with my wife at Monte's clinic in Irvine, CA.  Know what I have to do; think I'm getting there.  How do I know??  Well...

Shot my age... 74 and followed it up with a sub-par round of 71.

Transitioned back from SGI irons to Players irons:  new set Mizunos... and old set MacGregors.

Played with @fixyurdivot and @Thin2win and my wife for 4 days at the 3rd Annual PNW MGS meetup.  Also, played 9-holes with @Vegan_Golfer_PNW in Beaverton OR.  Oh yeah, bought a new Callaway driver while there.

Continue with my journey to improve consistency and distance (or at least maintain it) with my coach Monte Scheinblum.  Do I need to keep seeing a coach to have fun playing golf?  Yes.  It's part of the reason I play golf.  I like the interaction, learning new things, and the challenge to keep improving.  It's a different part of the game, and for me it's as much fun as playing with my buddies.

Spend more time on my short game.  I focus a lot on my full swing this year, and neglected my short game work.  That has to change.

Break 70.  I did it once 20 years ago as an 18 cap, but that was a fluke.  Now I might have to move up a tee box to do it, but that's OK.

Take more trips to meet more Spys.  Play in the 4th Annual PNW MGS Meetup!!  But be forewarned!!  I'm headed East in 2022.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Love these threads.....

Not going back to 2021 thread to copy but mine was fairly simple was play more in 2021 (did not accomplish this unfortunately, July washout and prepping for people to return to work my fall was a wash). I did lower my handicap though! Also had my PB which I matched once which was a massive positive.

For 2022:

-Play a minimum of 30 (18 hole) rounds (I have been averaging around there and didn't go over that this year). I also missed the boys golf weekend in June this year which doesnt help.

-Play with a few more spys like @Kenny Bsaid, also where are you going to be?!

-Lower my handicap again. Currently at a 5.9 and I think I can get to about 4 this year if I can continue with my improvements from this year.

-Focus on my approach game. Its hurting me and I can maintain other facets of my game. This offseason will be crucial to this.

• Like 8

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

For 2021, my index went up from 7 to around 10 at one point but back on the way down, now it's around an 8.  I need to quit switching clubs around, I've got a great set-up now, just need to stick with them.  (meaning keep out of the wrx buy/sell forum)  One of the great things this year was playing golf and getting to be friends with @revkev  Truly a great guy and I'm lucky to call him a friend.  Kevin also got me into Ping G410 7 and 9 woods and they are game changers.  Did I mention that I'm really lucky to have Kevin as a friend?  😀  Another great thing is that the wife and I stayed covid free, got all our shots and hopefully will continue with good health.  

For 2022, my goal is to go with some of my golf buddies to play Pebble and Spy Glass.  Planning is underway, just having to get over the sticker shock of what it's going to cost but I'm figuring based on my age, etc that this may be my best shot.  

• Like 7
  • Love 2

SIM2 Max

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

TM P790 5-6 

Titleist T100S 6-gap 

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58 or SM8 58*

PXG Operator H 

I am way behind in posting on the Forums lately, and that includes my own thread about working on my game. But the short version of the my season in review would be a graphic of someone treading water. Started the season with ~11 handicap and finished in the same place.

But there were two big highlights of note:

• I eagled a hole. I believe I'd only had one career eagle before this, and it was a round that I had to cut short before it finished. So I think this is my first official eagle that counts.
  • I had a round this year in which, on the back nine, I shot a 1-under 35. Absolutely came out of nowhere; I had shot a 13-over 48 on the front nine. I hit zero GIR on the front, 5/9 on the back, and had only 13 putts on the back. Made one bogey and two birdies. Was the most exhilarating, boring nine holes of my life. Definitely showed that good scores are within my reach.

I've got some reasons for optimism going into next year. I've rededicated myself to regular daily practice this offseason. I'm not hitting balls everyday, but virtually every day I'm working on my swing and my putting. I've finally paired up with an online instructor (Jayson Nickol); the chief virtue there hasn't been so much a barrage of knowledge that I didn't have, but a focus and accountability.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

:titelist-small: TS3
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:callaway-small: XR Pro 20°, Project X 75 Black HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX Iron-Wood 22°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 85g
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 6–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0
:taylormade-small: TP5x

Full WITB with pictures

My results in 2021 were almost identical to 2020, but I didn't have any formal goals so it stands to reason. When one part of my game cooperates another doesn't, but I can excel or fail at any aspect of golf - e.g. I'll drive well and not hit irons well one day, then miss every fairway and hit my irons solid on another day. Sometimes my putting is great, and other days it's horrible - all on the same course/conditions. I have improved my chipping/pitching but not enough to overcome the other inconsistencies as they translate to scores. I thought that was how golf was supposed to work... 🤔

• Like 9
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1 Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

2021:

Start playing golf (check)

Break 100 (check)

Play a round with one ball (check, but entirely because my buddy Paul must be part bloodhound, lol)

2022:

Shoot in the 90s consistently

Break 90

Play a few more new courses

I have a couple of nephews that are about my son's age.  They've expressed some interest in golfing next year.  Hoping to get them out with us.  I'm a pretty extreme introvert and have zero ability for small talk.  Because of this I've never been one for gatherings and such, and therefore have trouble connecting with my wife's family and even my own extended family.  Because of this I'm really looking forward to getting out with my wife's nephews and I hope its something that sticks.  Can't even tell my wife that because she'll get all mushy and weird about it, LOL.  Hoping to add them and a few other people I know to the little group that my son and I play with.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Tour Edge Exotics 3 wood and Bazooka 7 wood

Titleist 21° and Grand Hawk XR3 hybrids

Adams Idea 6-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and SM8 60° wedges

Ray Cook Silver Ray IV putter

Interesting goals met and new ones to be blown away. My 2021 started out with just wanting to play knowing I was going to have major rotator cuff surgery in March. My goal was to get back to golf by July, played my first 18 holes July 27th. Then my goal was to lower my every imploding handicap. Went from 17.8 to 15.6. 

2022 goals, become a better putter and short game player. More rounds in the 80's with the hope of breaking 80. More rounds of golf with the wife. Play a few rounds with some spies. 

Good luck to everyone in reaching their goals. 

• Like 8

Epic GBB driver 10.5 turned down to 9.5 Hzruds 6.5 smoke shaft. 

Titleist U15 1 iron 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

3 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

Improving the short game play is huge. Even if your missing greens, getting up and down let’s say every other time is huge. I don’t know about you, but I love it when I’m able to judge a chip shot perfectly and leave a makeable 5-10’ par putt. Now getting to where I chip less is another story…

Getting up and down is kind of the next phase.  I am now avoiding the big miss (chunks and thins) so I am dialing in distance control   

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

Shoot even par for the first time ever… I’m not sure I can get my GHIN much lower, so this year I want to shoot even par, and break my low round of 74 at least 3 times.

With your handicap I am surprised you haven't shot par.  

• Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I can’t remember my ‘21 goals beyond a wish to play more, that did not come to pass so I’ll leave it on the list for next year.  And ‘23, and ‘24 - lol

I did end up on good notes, dropping from mid to hi 80’s down to low 80’s. My last three full rounds were 81/81/82.  Next year I’m looking to crack that next nut.

• Like 8

For 21 I broke 80 again for the first time since 19, but let’s face it 20 didn’t make things easy for anything. I was for the most part able to keep my main goal of just not taking myself too seriously on the course, and remember I’m doing it for fun. I did have to refocus on that goal a couple times, but did pretty well with it. 

For 22 I’m going to try and get to single digit handicap. I’m close now at an 11.5 so it should be an achievable goal. As well as continue last years goal to enjoy myself when I play and not to take myself seriously. I hope to also stabilize my scoring a bit and not be so volatile from round to round.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Larryd3 said:

For 2021, my index went up from 7 to around 10 at one point but back on the way down, now it's around an 8.  I need to quit switching clubs around, I've got a great set-up now, just need to stick with them.  (meaning keep out of the wrx buy/sell forum)  One of the great things this year was playing golf and getting to be friends with @revkev  Truly a great guy and I'm lucky to call him a friend.  Kevin also got me into Ping G410 7 and 9 woods and they are game changers.  Did I mention that I'm really lucky to have Kevin as a friend?  😀  Another great thing is that the wife and I stayed covid free, got all our shots and hopefully will continue with good health.  

For 2022, my goal is to go with some of my golf buddies to play Pebble and Spy Glass.  Planning is underway, just having to get over the sticker shock of what it's going to cost but I'm figuring based on my age, etc that this may be my best shot.  

You are too kind - my check is on the way for your kind words, my friend. Right back at you.

My goal is to play more.  If I play more I will play better.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

So my goals were:

Play 60 rounds - I got to 56

Handicap to scratch - got down to 3.2 from a high of 6.4

Play in more tournaments - I played in 1 1/2

Those these weren't goals other things I was proud of:

Broke 80 in tournament for the first time.

Broke par on the back 9 of my home course for the first time.

Shot my lowest round in years, multiple 74s.

So for 2022:

Putt better, this was the only part of my game that went a little backwards.

Practice more. Those 60 rounds came at the expense of almost all practice time. Rather than try to play 36+ a week again, I'd rather get more practice time during the week and then make that 18 on the weekend really count. It might be blasphemy but I'm actually planning on playing a little less this year.

Lose 20 lbs before the season starts in March.

Set up more golf with the Northern Ohio Spies!

• Like 9

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star