TESTERS WANTED! ×

Help with top of the bag?

top_swings

Hi everyone, I have been trying to figure out what to do in the top of my bag. yesterday I hit a few utility irons and loved them but they aren't great off the fairway. I also hit a Cobra Rad 4 Iron which is loft jacked to the point where its basically a 2iron. Its super forgiving and goes miles so I was thinking maybe put that in to use both off the tee and fairway. Below is my current witb and if anyone could help me rework the top it would be greatly appreciated. 

SM8-58 

SM8-54

21' P790 5-AW

Nike 4 Hybrid- ready to be placed

Titleist 3 hybrid- really hit this well and don't need to change it

R11S 3 Wood- fine but open to changing to re work bag

19' Epic Max Driver- needs new shaft or new driver

Driver: Callaway Epic Max Driver, 9.5* - Hzrdus Smoke Green 70g S 

3 Wood: TaylorMade R11s, 15.5* - (need to check)

3 Hybrid: Titleist H2 - (21)

4 Hybrid: Nike - (23)

Irons: 5-AW- P790 21'- Modus T 105 S- 1* flat

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54* and 58* - Tour S200- 1* flat

Putter: Ping Kushin 35"

Grips: ZGrip + 1/32"

Ball: ProV1x

I configure my bag to include a specialty driving iron which I don't attempt to hit from the fairway.

That may not work out for you, however.  

To bag all the long end clubs that you want, you may need to space loft gaps between only three wedges.

That usually means not including the PW and GW that match your irons.

I used to go with a 48-53-58 lineup to make room for a driving iron.

Then Titleist dropped the 58-04 from the Vokey Spin Milled line with the SM8 genertion of the series.

Your SM8 58° has to be a bouncier version grind that I would play.

Anyway, I'm clueless about what to do next spring.

Back to you, sorry.

Look at your choices this way is my suggestion..

A long iron / hybrid that I hit better from the fairway but not quite what I want on the tee.

A driving iron that I can't hit well from the fairway but love on tight driving holes.

Separate driving and fairway clubs resulting in wider gaps somewhere in the set.

Or keep looking for the miracle club that I hit well from everywhere.  

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

2 hours ago, top_swings said:

Hi everyone, I have been trying to figure out what to do in the top of my bag. yesterday I hit a few utility irons and loved them but they aren't great off the fairway. I also hit a Cobra Rad 4 Iron which is loft jacked to the point where its basically a 2iron. Its super forgiving and goes miles so I was thinking maybe put that in to use both off the tee and fairway. Below is my current witb and if anyone could help me rework the top it would be greatly appreciated. 

SM8-58 

SM8-54

21' P790 5-AW

Nike 4 Hybrid- ready to be placed

Titleist 3 hybrid- really hit this well and don't need to change it

R11S 3 Wood- fine but open to changing to re work bag

19' Epic Max Driver- needs new shaft or new driver

Why do you want to change the top end of your bag?  Do you just want to change?   Looking to fill a specific problem area?    You say your driver needs a new shaft or you need a new driver but don't say why.    One recommendation is to fill the gaps between driver and your most lofted club.   What are you carry distances for each club?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Why do you want to change the top end of your bag?  Do you just want to change?   Looking to fill a specific problem area?    You say your driver needs a new shaft or you need a new driver but don't say why.    One recommendation is to fill the gaps between driver and your most lofted club.   What are you carry distances for each club?

Yeah so I don’t have a huge reason besides me not loving hybrids over long irons and that I’m playing an old set and my bag/me is ready for some new sticks. My carry distances are 

not sure for wedges because they haven’t arrived yet and coming from different lofts. 
Aw-120  Pw-130 9-150 8-160 7-170 6-180 5-190, 4H-195 3H-215 3W-235 D-265

its really that 5 iron to 4 hybrid that im trying to work around. Unfortunately the 2 iron I hit was flying 220ish which doesn’t quite fit in, however it really doesn’t need too because i won’t hit it into greens. Thanks!

4 hours ago, BostonSal said:

I configure my bag to include a specialty driving iron which I don't attempt to hit from the fairway.

That may not work out for you, however.  

To bag all the long end clubs that you want, you may need to space loft gaps between only three wedges.

That usually means not including the PW and GW that match your irons.

I used to go with a 48-53-58 lineup to make room for a driving iron.

Then Titleist dropped the 58-04 from the Vokey Spin Milled line with the SM8 genertion of the series.

Your SM8 58° has to be a bouncier version grind that I would play.

Anyway, I'm clueless about what to do next spring.

Back to you, sorry.

Look at your choices this way is my suggestion..

A long iron / hybrid that I hit better from the fairway but not quite what I want on the tee.

A driving iron that I can't hit well from the fairway but love on tight driving holes.

Separate driving and fairway clubs resulting in wider gaps somewhere in the set.

Or keep looking for the miracle club that I hit well from everywhere.  

Yeah I’m not sure what I am going to do. I guess I will go demo some more and look at distances and gapping. Or i just swap that 4h that doesn’t really serve a purpose with a driving iron just for off the tee. 

1 hour ago, top_swings said:

Yeah so I don’t have a huge reason besides me not loving hybrids over long irons and that I’m playing an old set and my bag/me is ready for some new sticks. My carry distances are 

not sure for wedges because they haven’t arrived yet and coming from different lofts. 
Aw-120  Pw-130 9-150 8-160 7-170 6-180 5-190, 4H-195 3H-215 3W-235 D-265

its really that 5 iron to 4 hybrid that im trying to work around. Unfortunately the 2 iron I hit was flying 220ish which doesn’t quite fit in, however it really doesn’t need too because i won’t hit it into greens. Thanks!

If it were me,  I would probably drop the 3 and 4 hybrids and find a club that you use for 220 and 205.    Find something that you can use off the tee and in the fairway and you have the 15 yard gap you should have between clubs. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG