TESTERS WANTED! ×

Upcoming Most Wanted Driver Testing

fixyurdivot

MGS Most Wanted Driver  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Which OEM's driver in current MGS driver testing has yielded the fastest ball speed for every tester so far?

• Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • PING
    • Callaway
    • XXIO
    • Mizuno
    • Srixon
    • PXG
    • Cobra
    • Tour Edge
    • Honma
    • Wilson
    • Inesis
    • Other

9 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I saw there was a link for more data, but when I clicked it came up as not found.  I wonder if that's what they were after?

They always have the tableau, but it doesn’t allow for direct side by side across all categories. You have to sort and run your own analysis, which is simple enough if you feel comfortable navigating the data. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

11 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I saw there was a link for more data, but when I clicked it came up as not found.  I wonder if that's what they were after?

I let them know and they are looking into that problem. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

24 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

One thing about these Most Wanted tests I still don't understand is how they select the clubs that get tested.  I mean PXG had a strong showing last year with the 0211 and this year there isn't PXG driver in the test.  I get that it isn't new, but that doesn't ever seem to have been a criteria for inclusion as long as the club is the current offering from that manufacturer.  I mean the G425 isn't new for this year but was included same with ZX5 & ZX7.

Also, after a couple of years of reviewing these most wanted tests, especially driver, I have come to the conclusion that the test is really just a reflection of the specific testers used in that particular year. 

The PXG new releases weren’t available for the test.  The staff reaches out to the manufacturers and requests the latest product by a deadline.  Products that are included multiple years are the current years offering.  425 is this years Ping Offering, same with Srixon.

the tester pool changes and MGS also refines their algorithms.  What you also have to remember is that most wanted reflects the best driver for the largest percentage of testers and that percentage could be 10% and when you get new testers, the best driver could float around as they are only separated by a couple of percentage points.  My most wanted driver was the Cleveland Launcher Xl Lite.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The PXG new releases weren’t available for the test.  The staff reaches out to the manufacturers and requests the latest product by a deadline.  Products that are included multiple years are the current years offering.  425 is this years Ping Offering, same with Srixon.

the tester pool changes and MGS also refines their algorithms.  What you also have to remember is that most wanted reflects the best driver for the largest percentage of testers and that percentage could be 10% and when you get new testers, the best driver could float around as they are only separated by a couple of percentage points.  My most wanted driver was the Cleveland Launcher Xl Lite.  

Added to this point with release cycles and this being a early season article with only Cobra/Cleveland/Callaway/Tour Edge and TM officially releasing their new 2022 drivers it makes sense that the Srixon and Ping are still there. It is the current driver that is being used and last year I believe when the Most Wanted Driver results were completed the 410 was still Pings "current" model. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 1/4/2022 at 5:58 PM, cnosil said:

We will have to see.  May not be for all testers; I hit the stealth today and it wasn't my fastest.   It was very consistent though.

Most wanted testing is done with the various stock offerings.   They tweak the shafts to get good launch/spin conditions.   

I'm starting to get into the big boys during testing....today was a Cobra driver,  Stealth, and Callaway Rogue triple diamond LS.    May have an answer for the poll soon 🙂

I foresee that the new chase will have to be ball speed AND forgiveness. I know that those have been somewhat separate ball games (pun intended) in years past. I just don't see any OEM being able to squeeze out that much more raw speed being that all of their toes are right on the line of USGA conformity. 

Now that they've all got their secret formulas figured out for max ball speed, I'd imagine that the only way to produce something even better is to help us find the sweet spot more consistently and make the "not so sweet" spot even more forgiving while maintaining the same ball speed. 

IMO, the phrase of the year will be SMASH FACTOR, SMASH FACTOR, SMASH FACTOR. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

41 minutes ago, juspoole said:

The link is missing a trailing /.    

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-driver-2022-data/

48 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

I had similar thoughts. Why wasn’t the G425 included last year? How does it stack up against last year’s winner? 

It would also be neat if there was a comparison tool that sorted everything in a simpler way than the tableau. If I’m looking at three drivers, can I compare them side by side. Just a thought. 

G425 was included last year but at some point after the article was originally published, it was removed because apparently they received a pre-production model for testing that somehow differed from what showed up at retail which disqualifies the club. 

22 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I foresee that the new chase will have to be ball speed AND forgiveness. I know that those have been somewhat separate ball games (pun intended) in years past. I just don't see any OEM being able to squeeze out that much more raw speed being that all of their toes are right on the line of USGA conformity. 

Now that they've all got their secret formulas figured out for max ball speed, I'd imagine that the only way to produce something even better is to help us find the sweet spot more consistently and make the "not so sweet" spot even more forgiving while maintaining the same ball speed. 

There will be two things that they chase.  As you mentioned, how can the driver be more forgiving and additionally how can it be made so the player can swing it faster.  

1 hour ago, ChitownM2 said:

To me, that just demonstrates the disclaimer that MGS always puts on the tests, that this is just a starting point and you really need to go get fitted to see what works best for you because the results really do vary that much from club to club and tester to tester. 

This is why I don’t even consider it a starting point nor does it have any influence on what I try or choose not to try.

Even at the same swing speed two golfers aren’t going to have the same results, even if both have similar description for their transition.

Self testing to see what one likes imo is the starting point then after narrow it down based on whatever criteria the golfer chooses, go get fit for the short list

32 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Might want to read this article 

https://mygolfspy.com/no-driver-distance-isnt-maxed-out/

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Hopefully I didn't miss a post somewhere.. but I'm just a little perplexed that I haven't seen any mention of the new Mizuno line being thought of as a contender. 

Last year I bought the Cobra Radspeed based on all of the tests and hype. It was a great club and I fit into it well.. well my course performance unfortunately just didn't Cary over from my fitting. I just wasn't able to find the middle of the face. I took to my 2nd resource and watched the TXG driver testing brackets from start to finish and decided to try both the Tour Edge and Mizuno ST-Z. 

I ended up taking the Speedzone back and getting the ST-Z and to this day have zero regrets. I'll also say that the Tour Edge was a very close 2nd place to the ST-Z. While ball speed was negligible between all 3, the ST-Z was just way more forgiving and I could just find the face with my eyes closed. If the 2022 ST lineup is marginally better than last year, it should be right there in the mix. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

52 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I would assume that the 0211, being their value line, is not going to be replaced this year like they do with the main Gen 4, 3, etc product line.  In the past the 0211 line has had a multiple year run meaning it would still be a current product.

To the latter, that is exactly my point.  If swapping out a couple of testers causes large swings in the results then it makes me question how valuable the rankings really are.  If everything is really that close and removing or adding in the results of 1 or 2 testers changes the results, then maybe Most wanted shouldn't be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd type of comparison.  Prior to me discovering MGS (and before MGS even existed) I always though that GD's Hot List was kind of a cop-out as almost every major manufacturer usually scored a gold, but based on what you're telling me, maybe that is a better way to classify the clubs.  I'm not suggesting a switch over to what GD does which I believe is almost purely subjective feedback, but keep the testing the way it was and rather than listing them in an order that is highly dependent on the test subjects used, just classify them as "Outstanding performers, Above average performers, and the rest".  Keep publishing the data and then let the readers decide what would be the best for them.  

It seems like a disservice to crown a winner with the order of A, B, C, D when if you had swapped out one of the 7 handicap testers for a 15 the results would have been D, E, A, G.  

5 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

I would assume that the 0211, being their value line, is not going to be replaced this year like they do with the main Gen 4, 3, etc product line.  In the past the 0211 line has had a multiple year run meaning it would still be a current product.

To the latter, that is exactly my point.  If swapping out a couple of testers causes large swings in the results then it makes me question how valuable the rankings really are.  If everything is really that close and removing or adding in the results of 1 or 2 testers changes the results, then maybe Most wanted shouldn't be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd type of comparison.  Prior to me discovering MGS (and before MGS even existed) I always though that GD's Hot List was kind of a cop-out as almost every major manufacturer usually scored a gold, but based on what you're telling me, maybe that is a better way to classify the clubs.  I'm not suggesting a switch over to what GD does which I believe is almost purely subjective feedback, but keep the testing the way it was and rather than listing them in an order that is highly dependent on the test subjects used, just classify them as "Outstanding performers, Above average performers, and the rest".  Keep publishing the data and then let the readers decide what would be the best for them.  

It seems like a disservice to crown a winner the order of A, B, C, D when if you had swapped out one of the 7 handicap testers for a 15 the results would have been D, E, A, G.  

PXG may have chosen not to send the 0211.   OEMs can choose what to send.  

With the intent of most wanted being to evaluate manufacturer claims and find the club that works for the largest percentage of golfers that don’t get fit and walk into the store and buy off the rack, the testing is just as it needs to be.  If they take the top few drivers and go get one of them they will most likely have success.  The testing really isn’t designed for someone that gets fit for clubs or can try many if the clubs on the list.  MGS does rank them based on different scores; you want the best overall sort the list that way, most forgiving sort that way, longest sort that way, etc.  as someone who hits all these clubs, they are all close in performance and if you got fit, you would find what attributes for the club work best for you.  For example, If you struggle with generating spin, a low spin driver probably won’t work for you.  My top 5 don’t match the top five in the article and yours may not either which is perfectly fine.  Judging by the comments that are always made on the articles, people already make their own judgements and conclusions and decide what is best for them.    

26 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Hopefully I didn't miss a post somewhere.. but I'm just a little perplexed that I haven't seen any mention of the new Mizuno line being thought of as a contender. 

Last year I bought the Cobra Radspeed based on all of the tests and hype. It was a great club and I fit into it well.. well my course performance unfortunately just didn't Cary over from my fitting. I just wasn't able to find the middle of the face. I took to my 2nd resource and watched the TXG driver testing brackets from start to finish and decided to try both the Tour Edge and Mizuno ST-Z. 

I ended up taking the Speedzone back and getting the ST-Z and to this day have zero regrets. I'll also say that the Tour Edge was a very close 2nd place to the ST-Z. While ball speed was negligible between all 3, the ST-Z was just way more forgiving and I could just find the face with my eyes closed. If the 2022 ST lineup is marginally better than last year, it should be right there in the mix. 

You are 100% correct that the 220 line IS a contender.  While I am hardly surprised to see another PING driver take top billing, I was expecting to see the Rogue claim that title.

While I love my SIM2, I am having a difficult time not pulling the trigger on a Mizuno 220 Z fitting.  The forgiving aspect is what I really loved seeing because forgiving often means confidence and confidence means bombs.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

44 minutes ago, cnosil said:

PXG may have chosen not to send the 0211.   OEMs can choose what to send.  

With the intent of most wanted being to evaluate manufacturer claims and find the club that works for the largest percentage of golfers that don’t get fit and walk into the store and buy off the rack, the testing is just as it needs to be.  If they take the top few drivers and go get one of them they will most likely have success.  The testing really isn’t designed for someone that gets fit for clubs or can try many if the clubs on the list.  MGS does rank them based on different scores; you want the best overall sort the list that way, most forgiving sort that way, longest sort that way, etc.  as someone who hits all these clubs, they are all close in performance and if you got fit, you would find what attributes for the club work best for you.  For example, If you struggle with generating spin, a low spin driver probably won’t work for you.  My top 5 don’t match the top five in the article and yours may not either which is perfectly fine.  Judging by the comments that are always made on the articles, people already make their own judgements and conclusions and decide what is best for them.    

I get that most wanted is basically a buyers guide for people who won't or can't get fitted but that was kind of the point I was trying to make.  If the results are that razor thin that a club that was 2nd last year and obviously should work for a large percentage of golfers ends up finishing 11th now and was beat out by clubs that it finished well ahead of last year, how valuable is the recommendation?  Likewise, I don't believe the G425 was in the top 10 last year but now it's THE club that MGS is recommending to the masses?

My opinion would be that the process/presentation could be improved by either vastly increasing the tester pool size (which I'm 99.9% sure isn't realistic unless we want this list being published in August and don't want Most wanted for any other categories) or maybe they just shy away from providing numerical rankings for overall score.

Also, I think a section that provides a little background on the tester pool would be a big help for people who aren't diehard forum members and know how the process works. Giving us the group average for swing speed, handicap, strokes gained off tee, driving distance and offline would be very beneficial in helping people determine how relavant the overall score is to their particular game.  If you see that the average distance is 280 and a strokes gained of +0.25 then you know you have a group of testers that is well above average with a driver in their hand so then someone who doesn't hit the ball as well would know that they should probably disregard the overall winner and look more at the individual categories to determine which club would work better for them.  

Edit:  I hadn't considered that PXG didn't send anything, but if they didn't that is a huge mistake on their part.  Not being represented on the test at all is a huge mistake as I still don't think PXG is as well known by the casual player as any of the big brands.  That means they won't even be considered by a large percentage of golfers because they don't know PXG exists.  Double whammy since they didn't have anything new (and lowered the price since original MSRP), making them ineligible for hot list so they don't appear at all in either of this years top 2 buyer guides.

Wow!  What has happened to the swing weights lately?  Why so heavy?

Cleveland Launcher XL Lite     D5.7
Ping G425 LST                         D4.6
Sub 70 849 Pro                        D4.4
TaylorMade Stealth                 D4.9
TaylorMade Stealth+               D6
Titleist TSi2                              D4.5
Titleist TSi4                              D5.1
Tommy Armour 845 Max        D5.4
Tour Edge Exotics C722         D5.8
Tour Edge Exotics Pro721       D7.5
Wilson Staff D9                       D5.0
XXIO 12                                    D4.9

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

55 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Wow!  What has happened to the swing weights lately?  Why so heavy?

Cleveland Launcher XL Lite     D5.7
Ping G425 LST                         D4.6
Sub 70 849 Pro                        D4.4
TaylorMade Stealth                 D4.9
TaylorMade Stealth+               D6
Titleist TSi2                              D4.5
Titleist TSi4                              D5.1
Tommy Armour 845 Max        D5.4
Tour Edge Exotics C722         D5.8
Tour Edge Exotics Pro721       D7.5
Wilson Staff D9                       D5.0
XXIO 12                                    D4.9

Long shafts.  45.5-45.75 seems to be everyone's standard now.  No real way around heavy swing weights if you want a 460cc head and a long shaft.  You can only counterbalance so much....

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

... It is always fun and interesting reading tests. So many variables and even forgiveness can be radically different for any individual. I played with a mini tour winner several years ago in Orlando and it was just the two of us late in the day playing Champions Gate. He hit 2 off every tee using a Titleist 10* driver and a Callaway 9* with the same AD-DI shafts. The Titleist was super reliable finding every single fairway in the 290-300 range. The Cally was 310-330 but he hit several shots into the woods. He said he always demo's new drivers like the Cally but "forgiveness" for him was in the fairway. I had to assume he was around the center of the face with both clubs so forgiveness in the hands of a less skilled golfer missing the center more often than not would mean something completely different. And of course a chronic slicer or hooker off the tee would define forgiveness completely opposite. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Cobra LtD ls was the fastest followed by the stealth. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I mean... Hats off to MGS for taking the time, effort and $$$ to put this together. Somethings are a little odd when comparing 2021 rankings to 2022 rankings. And I was bummed to see that the Epic LS didn't get carried over this year as the 2020 winner was into the 2021 test.

MGS is by all means able to pick whichever club as the winner they want. And this year they picked the Ping G425 Max... Overall it finished 4th in Strokes gained, which is good. Still, a little story why Strokes Gained wasn't used as the rank would have helped me understand the selection a little better. I mean, Strokes gained is the stat for what is the best shot, club, player etc. So, odd to include it but not really.

I do like the added data tab. I went through and picked the metrics closest to me for AoA, SS and Handicap.. with those inputs the G425 is 19 yards less carry then the #1 distance club for me(Tour Edge, followed by Srixon and Cobra). While 2-3 yards isn't a real difference, 19 yards sure is.  So,  thanks again MGS for doing this and providing the data so we can complain about how you did it and make our own biased conclusions and winners 😃

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

4 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Edit:  I hadn't considered that PXG didn't send anything, but if they didn't that is a huge mistake on their part.  Not being represented on the test at all is a huge mistake as I still don't think PXG is as well known by the casual player as any of the big brands.  That means they won't even be considered by a large percentage of golfers because they don't know PXG exists.  Double whammy since they didn't have anything new (and lowered the price since original MSRP), making them ineligible for hot list so they don't appear at all in either of this years top 2 buyer guides.

For all of us, it's easy to go back to last year's test and slip PXG in there.  I think Gen4 is their current piece, and those were in the test last year, correct?

PXG.PNG

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Feel like the full data tab needs to be top of page, this is where the money is.

If I'm doing this right (big if) the Ping "winner" is barely top 10 for ball speed, spin rates, or carry for low-mid handicappers with swing speeds between 91-110? Feels like this should be the window for most golfers going to this length for $500+ on a driver or something, but the results don't seem to match that.

Would reeallly love a breakdown of the testers if it was weighted that much more towards higher handicappers or I'm just missing a correlation between the launch data and the "playable shot" metric or something.

Love geeking out on stuff like this, for better or worse, lol.

Driver: :taylormade-small: M6 

Irons:  :mizuno-small:JPX919

Wedges: :taylormade-small:  54* and 58* MG3

Putter: :ping-small: Anser 4

I was surprised by the Stealth vs. the Stealth Plus. I assumed that the Stealth should win in Forgiveness or Accuracy, but it did not (0.1 higher in accuracy between the Stealth and Stealth plus, i would consider to be close enough to call it a tie). I know distance, accuracy, and forgiveness for each club varies for every individual, but to see it play out this way over the sample size included in the MGS Most Wanted Testing surprised me. Maybe when we see the breakdowns by swing speed, the results will play out differently. 

image.png.c100c51285248362e14a5517fd983dd6.png

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I'll definitely have to delve into the numbers more.  Since this year is the year for a new driver and woods for me...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

1 hour ago, MGoBlue100 said:

For all of us, it's easy to go back to last year's test and slip PXG in there.  I think Gen4 is their current piece, and those were in the test last year, correct?

PXG.PNG

Kind of.  Everyone in this thread already knows about PXG and tbh, that's not who the most wanted guides are really geared toward.  All the casual golfers who aren't on a forum and don't know much or anything at all about PXG aren't going to go back to last years test to see how a brand they didn't know existed did.

That said, the variation in the testers between last year and this year apparently caused some pretty dramatic changes in the rankings.  If there is one thing I feel confident in saying, it is that results from last year don't necessarily translate to results from this year.  

46 minutes ago, kSelvig said:

Feel like the full data tab needs to be top of page, this is where the money is.

If I'm doing this right (big if) the Ping "winner" is barely top 10 for ball speed, spin rates, or carry for low-mid handicappers with swing speeds between 91-110? Feels like this should be the window for most golfers going to this length for $500+ on a driver or something, but the results don't seem to match that.

Would reeallly love a breakdown of the testers if it was weighted that much more towards higher handicappers or I'm just missing a correlation between the launch data and the "playable shot" metric or something.

Love geeking out on stuff like this, for better or worse, lol.

Normally MGS will do follow up articles aimed at <90 MPH ss, 90-105, then >105 with the best driver for those windows broken down too. In those they do tailor the results to those subsets. As a whole group the Ping is a good choice in most fields so it was their winner. But it probably/might not win a single one of the specific categories. But if you were going to take a random person and get them a driver, the ping has the best chance of being a good choice for them out of the entire field. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

5 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I have had the Mizuno ST-G 220 for a couple of months now and had to work to get the right shaft, Project X HZRDUS Red 60 gram, 6.0 stiff. I love it, very forgiving once I had the weights in the right position with a little more ball speed than my old Titleist 917D.  The numbers for my driver in the test looked pretty good, I think with the adjustability aspect with the G driver, it might be tougher to judge during a broad test. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5 degree; :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60G, 6.0 Flex

:titelist-small: TSI 2, 3W 15 degrees

:titelist-small: TSI 2,  3 Hybrid 18 degrees

:titelist-small: TSI 2, 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

:titelist-small: T200 5 Iron

:titleist-small: T150 6 thru PW

:titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM8 48 & 52; SM9 58 degrees

:titelist-small: :cameron-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5 Putter; :EVNROLL: ER5v Hatchback Putter

:titelist-small: Pro V1-2023 & :maxfli: 2023 Tour Ball 

:titleist-small: Players 4 Plus Stand Bag
Bushnell Tour V5 Rangefinder 

:Arccos: Caddie 

:SuperSpeed:  Training System 

Honestly I will pass on Taylormade; even if it's the best driver every made. The price is just too ridiculous and I'm very happy with my controllable drives via the Cobra Radspeed. I believe once we start paying $600+ for a Driver all the prices are going to rocket up and just stay there. Just like Vokey and Taylormade Wedges these days.... I mean almost $200 bucks a wedge?? Seriously guys...

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Gaming: Woods: Cobra Radspeed XB Driver, 3W, 5W, Cobra KING Forged TEC 4-PW, Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 48*/10* F Grind, 54*/12* D Grind, 60*/12* D Grind, Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 🙂

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

I was surprised by the Stealth vs. the Stealth Plus. I assumed that the Stealth should win in Forgiveness or Accuracy, but it did not (0.1 higher in accuracy between the Stealth and Stealth plus, i would consider to be close enough to call it a tie). I know distance, accuracy, and forgiveness for each club varies for every individual, but to see it play out this way over the sample size included in the MGS Most Wanted Testing surprised me. Maybe when we see the breakdowns by swing speed, the results will play out differently. 

image.png.c100c51285248362e14a5517fd983dd6.png

Ball flight characteristics are going to play a huge role in the those categories. People needing less spin could gain that from then design of the plus over the regular and vice versa for those who need help getting spin.

You have to dive into the numbers of all the shots and see what’s going on.

I also think forgiveness is to broad a category for most when the talk about it on forums. Many just consider it as the keeping the ball in play more or only losing X amount of yards on mishits and don’t consider the launch conditions that best suit their swing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1