TESTERS WANTED! ×

Upcoming Most Wanted Driver Testing

fixyurdivot

MGS Most Wanted Driver  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Which OEM's driver in current MGS driver testing has yielded the fastest ball speed for every tester so far?

• Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • PING
    • Callaway
    • XXIO
    • Mizuno
    • Srixon
    • PXG
    • Cobra
    • Tour Edge
    • Honma
    • Wilson
    • Inesis
    • Other

16 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Triggered and waiting for the final lab results.  Dayuuum... the red/black even matches the KBS TD shaft I'm playing 👍

image.png.24ad398c412e2c3b36c0063e10c40654.png

When I saw the Red Face the first thng I thought of was...this will match well with the KBS Shafts!  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I submitted my vote today and I still have 5 sessions to go 🙂  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I submitted my vote today and I still have 5 sessions to go 🙂  

Do tell! 

8 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Do tell! 

It could be Titleist, Callaway, or Cobra.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

😮😮

56 minutes ago, cnosil said:

COULD be…

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 1/6/2022 at 6:48 PM, cnosil said:

So I'm guessing you liked the Cobra? Cool.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

53 minutes ago, MNUte said:

So I'm guessing you liked the Cobra? Cool.

Yes,  I liked the Cobra.   TM, Titleist, Cobra, and Callaway have very solid drivers.  Titleist is still the TSi line from last year. 

On 1/6/2022 at 6:48 PM, cnosil said:

So safe to say one of the 32 votes for TM isn't yours?  Have any moved your needle such that, even if provided at no cost, it would move the G400 MAX to the bench?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 1/4/2022 at 5:22 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I see they offer the Ventus Red and Adalia Accent Red as no upcharge options.

The ventus red was offered last year as well when it was in stock and its the made for version of the shaft. The velocore version is still an upcharge. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

28 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The ventus red was offered last year as well when it was in stock and its the made for version of the shaft. The velocore version is still an upcharge. 

When you say "made for version" does that suggest it's something less than one direct from Fujikura?

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Either they have relabeled last years version or it is something new.  I am pretty sure they have a new label where teh velocore label is on the non made for.   

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So safe to say one of the 32 votes for TM isn't yours?  Have any moved your needle such that, even if provided at no cost, it would move the G400 MAX to the bench?

That is correct.  I didn't vote TM.      I plan to do some head to head tests to see if I can improve on my current driver.  

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

When you say "made for version" does that suggest it's something less than one direct from Fujikura?

Its a shaft made by fujikura that is based on a design TM wanted. It doesn’t have the 70T flag used in the velocore version.  I’ve hear a rumor that TM paid for the ventus name last year. They wanted to capitalize on the Ventus shaft but didn’t want the premium version and price for their stock shaft. 

This happens all the time with shaft manufacturer. Tour edge has a non velocore version of the ventus shafts too.

51 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Either they have relabeled last years version or it is something new.  I am pretty sure they have a new label where teh velocore label is on the non made for.   

The made for has a black and red paint scheme that is different from last years which was the same paint job as the velocore version.  I haven’t looked to see if it’s the same shaft as last years or if it’s a new design. TM labels it on their site as ventus red 2022

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Its a shaft made by fujikura that is based on a design TM wanted. It doesn’t have the 70T flag used in the velocore version.  I’ve hear a rumor that TM paid for the ventus name last year. They wanted to capitalize on the Ventus shaft but didn’t want the premium version and price for their stock shaft. 

This happens all the time with shaft manufacturer. Tour edge has a non velocore version of the ventus shafts too.

Makes sense. I wonder if they test their driver heads with the stock configurations and just work the lower cost/increase margin equation from there?  I recall my fitter saying he thinks PING does a great job in their co-development of stock shafts.  But he also said the issue is production inconsistency and the shaft you tested has a significant chance of not being like the one that comes with your order.  He referred to it as driver shafts version of Russian Roulette.  

9 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Makes sense. I wonder if they test their driver heads with the stock configurations and just work the lower cost/increase margin equation from there?  I recall my fitter saying he thinks PING does a great job in their co-development of stock shafts.  But he also said the issue is production inconsistency and the shaft you tested has a significant chance of not being like the one that comes with your order.  He referred to it as driver shafts version of Russian Roulette.  

This makes me think of the old adage about “buying the ACTUAL driver one is fitted to in the fitting”! It’s kind of funny that this is even said because there’s NO way a rep can sell you the fitting head and have any for other fittings, and the same goes for CC, or big-box stores! The adage is correct in its assumption, though, that the head and shaft you end-up getting could be different enough to not fit you like the one that was used in the fitting. 

I'm guessing the OEM's rely heavily on the vast majority of the player population not being informed spies 🙂.  Regarding the fitting process and modular shaft/head connect systems, it seems outwardly that there would be a difference in how the test clubs perform but they must be quite close. 🤔  

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Ping is the only company I know that designs their shafts and then works with the manufacturer to build that. The Ping tour shaft is built of the ust elements chrome shaft. Their design hasn’t changed and they’ve just changed the color scheme over the years.  The Alta shaft is from aldila.

The rest of the companies to my knowledge tell the shaft manufacturer what they want and usually base it off an existing shaft line like the TM has done with the ventus and there’s been some PX shafts that were modified for some brands or like Callaway has currently done with PX shafts like the T800 and the iM shafts.  Typically the club manufacturer will find out what the hot shaft from a brand is and will work out deals to get that as a no upcharge stock shaft. For some it’s having the shaft manufacturer change specs. They club manufacturer knows that most golfers need help with getting and keeping the ball in the air. Using the ventus as an example because it’s probably one of the few shafts that looks exactly like the upcharge version. Most golfers won’t be able to take advantage of the ventus design so they ask for a version that’s more cost effective for mass production then ask for it to be geared for a better feel (higher torque) and that launches and spins more. Now you have a shaft that’s a better fit for the vast majority of golfers.

Yes brands test shafts with their heads. During a conversation with Tom O from cobra he was saying they find a shaft that off the shelf fits the average golfer.

There’s a lot of knowledge that goes into designing a shaft and if one doesn’t understand materials and all the other intricacies of shaft design they will design a bad shaft even if on paper everything matches up, one of the best in the industry talked about the first shaft he was tasked with designing and how bad it would have been from a playability standpoint.

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

This makes me think of the old adage about “buying the ACTUAL driver one is fitted to in the fitting”! It’s kind of funny that this is even said because there’s NO way a rep can sell you the fitting head and have any for other fittings, and the same goes for CC, or big-box stores! The adage is correct in its assumption, though, that the head and shaft you end-up getting could be different enough to not fit you like the one that was used in the fitting. 

Correct, with manufacturer tolerances the chances of getting something exactly matching what one hit at the demo day is slim. The key thing for those who are educated is to find out if the fitter has specific swing weights in their clubs and then have them order that. The Ping rep that used to be here had all his demo drivers built for d3. 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm guessing the OEM's rely heavily on the vast majority of the player population not being informed spies 🙂.  Regarding the fitting process and modular shaft/head connect systems, it seems outwardly that there would be a difference in how the test clubs perform but they must be quite close. 🤔  

They know that and understand most don’t care and most don’t even get fit. They do everything based off the general golfer who buys off the rack. 

It depends on what fitting process you are talking about. Places like CC, TruSpec, txg, cool clubs have a lot more info or the capability to get it and then give the golfer that info when doing the fitting, but that’s also on the golfer to ask if they aren’t going to have that place build the club, especially because of the connector.

A manufacturer rep unless he/she asks for the loft, lie, weight, loft of each head is only going to know the stamped loft and assumption of the brands stated specs. 

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is so painfully accurate. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

13 hours ago, PMookie said:

I actually did it twice at demo days. Talked the fitter into selling it to me at the end of the day as used. Cash talks. I put a blue sharpie mark on the head and shaft in a discrete location so I knew I got back the correct combination that worked for me. 

He had others in the van anyway. Its not like it was their only head. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 1/9/2022 at 9:01 AM, PMookie said:

I can't tell you how many times we sold the demo driver rather than ordering one.  The only stipulation was we'd sell it for retail price.  We'd then kick in some range balls or a dozen balls given to us by a rep to make them feel like they were winning the deal. It wasn't a battle, they were happy and so were we. 

On the contrary, when I bought my G400LST a few years ago, the owner of the shop who is a (&^%$@*) had his guys call me 2 days after I was told it was a special order.  They took a head off the shelf and attached the demo shaft and said have a good day.  

Nah dude, not paying $550 for your demo on a custom upgrade.  I did not want to have to remind him that the Solheim family has their own thoughts on selling their clubs this way.  Fortunately, he realized he was caught and refunded it.  Never again at his store.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

3 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I can't tell you how many times we sold the demo driver rather than ordering one.  The only stipulation was we'd sell it for retail price.  We'd then kick in some range balls or a dozen balls given to us by a rep to make them feel like they were winning the deal. It wasn't a battle, they were happy and so were we. 

On the contrary, when I bought my G400LST a few years ago, the owner of the shop who is a (&^%$@*) had his guys call me 2 days after I was told it was a special order.  They took a head off the shelf and attached the demo shaft and said have a good day.  

Nah dude, not paying $550 for your demo on a custom upgrade.  I did not want to have to remind him that the Solheim family has their own thoughts on selling their clubs this way.  Fortunately, he realized he was caught and refunded it.  Never again at his store.

Y’all are lucky! I’ve asked at every demo-day and not one of the reps would sell me the club! As Napoleon Dynamite says, “LUCKY!” 

On 1/8/2022 at 11:45 PM, fixyurdivot said:

This spurs my curiosity.... Do the OEMs test all their stock shafts on the robot and provide the public with the best or worst performance numbers. Which shaft is determined for reporting. Of course you would want to think the best BUT as long as the worst numbers are better than the previous years data, then its a win. AND if you get fit, the ability to show even better numbers will be easier since there is greater room for improvement. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

1 hour ago, JonMUSC08 said:

This spurs my curiosity.... Do the OEMs test all their stock shafts on the robot and provide the public with the best or worst performance numbers. Which shaft is determined for reporting. Of course you would want to think the best BUT as long as the worst numbers are better than the previous years data, then its a win. AND if you get fit, the ability to show even better numbers will be easier since there is greater room for improvement. 

Yes, and wrapped up in all this and, I would guess, is profit margin running at least neck to neck with any other factors in their decision tree.  The electronics industry (computing particularly) has long been suspected of manipulating product releases and advances in capability to maximize sales of current offerings.  Not saying this is the case in golf equipment... but maybe. 🤔

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Y’all are lucky! I’ve asked at every demo-day and not one of the reps would sell me the club! As Napoleon Dynamite says, “LUCKY!” 

Same. I’ve seen many try from the reps and get denied. Some shops will do it for certain customers and only for the less popular head like the tsi4

1 hour ago, JonMUSC08 said:

They choose the shafts that produce the best results for the larger golfing public. Remember the word stock doesn’t necessarily mean the same as it used to. Most brands have a couple shafts that most would consider stock. These are the shafts you will see in the retail shafts on the clubs. Then there are the no upcharge shafts. These are geared more towards the golfers who won’t see as good results from the stock offerings but still doesn’t raise the price of the club at retail

2 hours ago, did you see that? said:

I think it’s cobra for sure…stealth is not really much different than sim 2

Stealth has an entirely different face than sim2 and is bigger. They aren’t even close to the same driver

4 hours ago, did you see that? said:

I think it’s cobra for sure…stealth is not really much different than sim 2

Having hit both,  I think the stealth is way different than the SIM 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the most recent competitor-  The new Cobra drivers-

https://mygolfspy.com/cobra-ltdx-drivers/

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

• 3 weeks later...