Upcoming Most Wanted Driver Testing

fixyurdivot

MGS Most Wanted Driver  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Which OEM's driver in current MGS driver testing has yielded the fastest ball speed for every tester so far?

• Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • PING
    • Callaway
    • XXIO
    • Mizuno
    • Srixon
    • PXG
    • Cobra
    • Tour Edge
    • Honma
    • Wilson
    • Inesis
    • Other

The site must be getting overwhelmed as the page is not opening up or they've taken it down temporarily to fix something.

:callaway-small: Epic Max Driver, 9*, Project X HZRDUS Smoke 50g

:callaway-small: Epic Max 3-wood,  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

:Sub70:       286 Forged Wedges, 52* and 56*

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

6 minutes ago, ClarkWGriswoldIII said:

The site must be getting overwhelmed as the page is not opening up or they've taken it down temporarily to fix something.

They are probably fixing the picture of the Wilson driver mentioned above since it is still under embargo....

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

They are probably fixing the picture of the Wilson driver mentioned above since it is still under embargo....

They fixed the first image of it, but forgot the 2nd smaller one down in the spec list.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

7 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

They fixed the first image of it, but forgot the 2nd smaller one down in the spec list.

The first one was blurred out right from the start, which is why it was funny to see it clear as day down below. Whoops!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

One thing about these Most Wanted tests I still don't understand is how they select the clubs that get tested.  I mean PXG had a strong showing last year with the 0211 and this year there isn't PXG driver in the test.  I get that it isn't new, but that doesn't ever seem to have been a criteria for inclusion as long as the club is the current offering from that manufacturer.  I mean the G425 isn't new for this year but was included same with ZX5 & ZX7.

Also, after a couple of years of reviewing these most wanted tests, especially driver, I have come to the conclusion that the test is really just a reflection of the specific testers used in that particular year.  I know that this is the most thorough test in the industry and I love the data and reading about it, but I have to wonder if there simply aren't enough testers to provide accurate conclusions.  It's happened in several tests where a specific product did OK one year and then in it's second year of the product run is all of a sudden way better.  Or vice versa, where a product that scores in the top 3 is all of a sudden middle of the pack the next year.  I mean TSi2 went from 2nd to 11th, TSi3 went from 9th to 4th and if I recall Ping G425 was middle of the road last year and now is #1 (looks like it was subsequently removed from last years results due to a technicality).  

To me, that just demonstrates the disclaimer that MGS always puts on the tests, that this is just a starting point and you really need to go get fitted to see what works best for you because the results really do vary that much from club to club and tester to tester.  For example, the SFT drivers always score poorly even though they are fantastic at what they are designed to do.  That tells me that the test field doesn't include very many slicers.  If the test field was mainly 25-30 handicaps, we'd see SFT as the most wanted club and TSi3 finishing near the bottom.  

Just noticed they didn't include last year's winner either.  I thought that was going to be a thing going forward....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

For example, the SFT drivers always score poorly even though they are fantastic at what they are designed to do.  That tells me that the test field doesn't include very many slicers.  If the test field was mainly 25-30 handicaps, we'd see SFT as the most wanted club and TSi3 finishing near the bottom. 

I think you might see those score higher when they release the updated results for best driver by swing speed.  As a rule, more mid to higher handicaps usually have lower swing speed and will slice the ball more often.  Just saying this as the larger rule, definitely a lot of guys who don't do that in those categories.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

6 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

One thing about these Most Wanted tests I still don't understand is how they select the clubs that get tested.  I mean PXG had a strong showing last year with the 0211 and this year there isn't PXG driver in the test.  I get that it isn't new, but that doesn't ever seem to have been a criteria for inclusion as long as the club is the current offering from that manufacturer.  I mean the G425 isn't new for this year but was included same with ZX5 & ZX7.

Also, after a couple of years of reviewing these most wanted tests, especially driver, I have come to the conclusion that the test is really just a reflection of the specific testers used in that particular year.  I know that this is the most thorough test in the industry and I love the data and reading about it, but I have to wonder if there simply aren't enough testers to provide accurate conclusions.  It's happened in several tests where a specific product did OK one year and then in it's second year of the product run is all of a sudden way better.  Or vice versa, where a product that scores in the top 3 is all of a sudden middle of the pack the next year.  I mean TSi2 went from 2nd to 11th, TSi3 went from 9th to 4th and if I recall Ping G425 was middle of the road last year and now is #1 (looks like it was subsequently removed from last years results due to a technicality).  

To me, that just demonstrates the disclaimer that MGS always puts on the tests, that this is just a starting point and you really need to go get fitted to see what works best for you because the results really do vary that much from club to club and tester to tester.  For example, the SFT drivers always score poorly even though they are fantastic at what they are designed to do.  That tells me that the test field doesn't include very many slicers.  If the test field was mainly 25-30 handicaps, we'd see SFT as the most wanted club and TSi3 finishing near the bottom.  

Just noticed they didn't include last year's winner either.  I thought that was going to be a thing going forward....

I had similar thoughts. Why wasn’t the G425 included last year? How does it stack up against last year’s winner? 

It would also be neat if there was a comparison tool that sorted everything in a simpler way than the tableau. If I’m looking at three drivers, can I compare them side by side. Just a thought. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Just now, jddaigneault said:

It would also be neat if there was a comparison tool that sorted everything in a simpler way than the tableau. If I’m looking at three drivers, can I compare them side by side. Just a thought. 

I saw there was a link for more data, but when I clicked it came up as not found.  I wonder if that's what they were after?

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Just now, juspoole said:

I think you might see those score higher when they release the updated results for best driver by swing speed.  As a rule, more mid to higher handicaps usually have lower swing speed and will slice the ball more often.  Just saying this as the larger rule, definitely a lot of guys who don't do that in those categories.

I know, I was just using that as an extreme example of how much influence the specific tester group can have on the test.  

Beyond a doubt it provides a starting point - I enjoy looking at the results.  What stood out to me this year is that the big three in driver sales were basically the big three in the Most Wanted Testing.  I didn't look closely at what was tested but to me it appears as if the results were chalk -  Ping best overall, TMag tops for distance, Callaway splitting the difference.  

I will say from personal fitting/testing that the Stealth produced faster ball speeds than the Ping, Titleist or my SIM 2 driver.  For me its a significant enough difference to give it a try.  I also found that while I'm able to really pop one with my auto flex shaft in, the dispersion with that shaft is not optimal for me.  It's going on ebay to pay for a new stealth and I will keep the old SIM 2 around for a bit as a back up.  I already sold my Ping G410.  

No doubt we will be talking about these test results for a while.  Thanks MGS and your testers.

• Like 2

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

9 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I saw there was a link for more data, but when I clicked it came up as not found.  I wonder if that's what they were after?

They always have the tableau, but it doesn’t allow for direct side by side across all categories. You have to sort and run your own analysis, which is simple enough if you feel comfortable navigating the data. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

11 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I let them know and they are looking into that problem. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

24 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Also, after a couple of years of reviewing these most wanted tests, especially driver, I have come to the conclusion that the test is really just a reflection of the specific testers used in that particular year. 

The PXG new releases weren’t available for the test.  The staff reaches out to the manufacturers and requests the latest product by a deadline.  Products that are included multiple years are the current years offering.  425 is this years Ping Offering, same with Srixon.

the tester pool changes and MGS also refines their algorithms.  What you also have to remember is that most wanted reflects the best driver for the largest percentage of testers and that percentage could be 10% and when you get new testers, the best driver could float around as they are only separated by a couple of percentage points.  My most wanted driver was the Cleveland Launcher Xl Lite.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The PXG new releases weren’t available for the test.  The staff reaches out to the manufacturers and requests the latest product by a deadline.  Products that are included multiple years are the current years offering.  425 is this years Ping Offering, same with Srixon.

the tester pool changes and MGS also refines their algorithms.  What you also have to remember is that most wanted reflects the best driver for the largest percentage of testers and that percentage could be 10% and when you get new testers, the best driver could float around as they are only separated by a couple of percentage points.  My most wanted driver was the Cleveland Launcher Xl Lite.  

Added to this point with release cycles and this being a early season article with only Cobra/Cleveland/Callaway/Tour Edge and TM officially releasing their new 2022 drivers it makes sense that the Srixon and Ping are still there. It is the current driver that is being used and last year I believe when the Most Wanted Driver results were completed the 410 was still Pings "current" model. 

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

On 1/4/2022 at 5:58 PM, cnosil said:

We will have to see.  May not be for all testers; I hit the stealth today and it wasn't my fastest.   It was very consistent though.

Most wanted testing is done with the various stock offerings.   They tweak the shafts to get good launch/spin conditions.   

I'm starting to get into the big boys during testing....today was a Cobra driver,  Stealth, and Callaway Rogue triple diamond LS.    May have an answer for the poll soon 🙂

I foresee that the new chase will have to be ball speed AND forgiveness. I know that those have been somewhat separate ball games (pun intended) in years past. I just don't see any OEM being able to squeeze out that much more raw speed being that all of their toes are right on the line of USGA conformity. 

Now that they've all got their secret formulas figured out for max ball speed, I'd imagine that the only way to produce something even better is to help us find the sweet spot more consistently and make the "not so sweet" spot even more forgiving while maintaining the same ball speed. 

IMO, the phrase of the year will be SMASH FACTOR, SMASH FACTOR, SMASH FACTOR. 

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S
:ping-small: G400 7 Wood

:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 
:taylormade-small: TP5x

41 minutes ago, juspoole said:

The link is missing a trailing /.    

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-driver-2022-data/

48 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

I had similar thoughts. Why wasn’t the G425 included last year? How does it stack up against last year’s winner? 

G425 was included last year but at some point after the article was originally published, it was removed because apparently they received a pre-production model for testing that somehow differed from what showed up at retail which disqualifies the club. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I foresee that the new chase will have to be ball speed AND forgiveness. I know that those have been somewhat separate ball games (pun intended) in years past. I just don't see any OEM being able to squeeze out that much more raw speed being that all of their toes are right on the line of USGA conformity. 

Now that they've all got their secret formulas figured out for max ball speed, I'd imagine that the only way to produce something even better is to help us find the sweet spot more consistently and make the "not so sweet" spot even more forgiving while maintaining the same ball speed. 

There will be two things that they chase.  As you mentioned, how can the driver be more forgiving and additionally how can it be made so the player can swing it faster.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChitownM2 said:

To me, that just demonstrates the disclaimer that MGS always puts on the tests, that this is just a starting point and you really need to go get fitted to see what works best for you because the results really do vary that much from club to club and tester to tester. 

This is why I don’t even consider it a starting point nor does it have any influence on what I try or choose not to try.

Even at the same swing speed two golfers aren’t going to have the same results, even if both have similar description for their transition.

Self testing to see what one likes imo is the starting point then after narrow it down based on whatever criteria the golfer chooses, go get fit for the short list

32 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Might want to read this article 

https://mygolfspy.com/no-driver-distance-isnt-maxed-out/

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1