Setting up golf bag for push cart

sirchunksalot

I'll apologize if is a copy of another post, but since I'm getting a push cart, I'm trying to determine the best way to configure my clubs for ease of use. 

I purchased a CaddyTek CaddyLite 11.5 V 3 Monday and since I ordered it Monday and it isn't being delivered until Tuesday, I have way too much time to think.

My bag is a Datrek DG Lite II which has 14 club slots and a putter well. Right now I'm looking to do something similar to what @GolfSpy_BOS did when he purchased the Woode bag and have the woods running down along the outside of the bag.

20211230_182220-01.jpeg.1d42ce41feee8c0b76833266db565443.jpeg

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

In my opinion if the putter well is down,  I put the long graphite clubs at the top and the shorter clubs at the bottom.  The reason in my mind is that it keeps the shorter iron heads from getting under a headcover and damaging a shaft.   

My bag would be setup:

• Top row:  Driver, alignment sticks
  • 2nd: 3wd, 2h, 3 h, 4 h
  • 3rd: 6-9
  • 4th: P, G, S, L
  • Putter

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've used a pull cart up until the time I moved to Tennessee. I always kept them in order so to speak. I tried other combinations but came back to my original order that I still use today. Woods across the back then middle irons then short. There is no harm in trying different combinations and see what works for you. You will know after a few holes if you like it or not.

The one thing I see in your configuration that is alarming is having the 6 iron next to the 9 iron. If one head happens to be turned in the wrong direction. You can pull the wrong club easily. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

3 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The one thing I see in your configuration that is alarming is having the 6 iron next to the 9 iron. If one head happens to be turned in the wrong direction. You can pull the wrong club easily. 

I'm glad you brought that up, I didn't notice that. I've made that mistake before and wondered why my 6 didn't fly as far as I thought until I looked at the bottom of the club.

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

In my opinion if the putter well is down,  I put the long graphite clubs at the top and the shorter clubs at the bottom.  The reason in my mind is that it keeps the shorter iron heads from getting under a headcover and damaging a shaft.   

My bag would be setup:

• Top row:  Driver, alignment sticks
  • 2nd: 3wd, 2h, 3 h, 4 h
  • 3rd: 6-9
  • 4th: P, G, S, L
  • Putter

That's pretty similar to how I have them now and I've used that setup a couple of times with the cart I've used at the course. I might give that a try initially. My biggest concern was with pulling the longer clubs out when they're cost to the handle.

Appreciate the input, gentlemen!

I think you are going to have the putter well at the top to sit on the cart so ball pocket is up.  What you have looks OK, but I would arrange the middle differently; 5 and 6 next to putter well; 7 below 5 and 8 below 6; and then 9 and PW.  Gives you more separation between clubs so they don't rattle as much.

Other option is to put woods across the row next to putter well... where's the 4-5 hybrid??  Then longer irons in a row below the woods; wedges on the bottom.  But you will figure out what you like best.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As someone who has spent WAY too much time and energy on figuring out where I want my clubs to go… after spending way too much time and energy selecting a new bag… I appreciate this thread @sirchunksalot!! 🤣🤣🤣

This is what I use for my push cart setup right now.  I like it because going left to right on the irons keeps the bottom of the iron from hitting the top of the iron below it.  YMMV.  If I used a mallet putter I’d move that to the corner and put the driver in the top big slot then move the FW and HY up one and start my L-R irons from there.  

9E65780B-D246-47BC-A33F-EC3BCBB19BBB.jpeg

Since it might now show up well:

B89D20EB-C482-4211-85C7-572E922F73E6.jpeg

I really enjoy this set up, It works for me really well in the push cart, I can see everything I need to and get my clubs quickly.  It actually works pretty well in a riding cart too, I haven’t felt the need to rearrange unless I know I’m going to be using a riding cart for multiple rounds.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

The Caddy Tek has an adjustable handle angle. It will not be a problem pulling a long club from the handle area.

21 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

where's the 4-5 hybrid??

I gave my 3-4 hybrid to my golf buddy after seeing him struggle with his long irons. But you did remind me that I have a 5 I need to put back in the bag. I only use my 5 iron for punch outs. 

4 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The Caddy Tek has an adjustable handle angle. It will not be a problem pulling a long club from the handle area.

That's good to know and something I didn't think about when strategizing my bag. I'm used to how my bag is set up and might leave it that way to avoid any confusion. 

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

As someone who has spent WAY too much time and energy on figuring out where I want my clubs to go… after spending way too much time and energy selecting a new bag… I appreciate this thread @sirchunksalot!! 🤣🤣🤣

This is what I use for my push cart setup right now.  I like it because going left to right on the irons keeps the bottom of the iron from hitting the top of the iron below it.  YMMV.  If I used a mallet putter I’d move that to the corner and put the driver in the top big slot then move the FW and HY up one and start my L-R irons from there.  

9E65780B-D246-47BC-A33F-EC3BCBB19BBB.jpeg

Since it might now show up well:

B89D20EB-C482-4211-85C7-572E922F73E6.jpeg

I really enjoy this set up, It works for me really well in the push cart, I can see everything I need to and get my clubs quickly.  It actually works pretty well in a riding cart too, I haven’t felt the need to rearrange unless I know I’m going to be using a riding cart for multiple rounds.  

I like the idea of going left to right, then right to left. I've honestly never thought about doing this to reduce chatter. 

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I gave my 3-4 hybrid to my golf buddy after seeing him struggle with his long irons. But you did remind me that I have a 5 I need to put back in the bag. I only use my 5 iron for punch outs. 

Check the distance of your 5H and 5i.  They are not always equivalent.  Not only is a 5H easier to hit for me than a 5i, it's a club longer so it replaced my 4i.  If you are one of those golfers that can hit a hybrid, I think a 5H might be a new favorite long club.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Check the distance of your 5H and 5i.  They are not always equivalent.  Not only is a 5H easier to hit for me than a 5i, it's a club longer so it replaced my 4i.  If you are one of those golfers that can hit a hybrid, I think a 5H might be a new favorite long club.

I always found it to be easier to hit than  the 5 iron, but it being an older hybrid, was a hook machine. It might work differently now since I'm not hitting it the same as I did a couple of years ago. I'll put it in the bag and take it with me the next time I can get to the range. Hopefully it'll quit raining soon. 

5 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

An ongoing problem/project to determine the best way to load the bag.  It is reversed when on the back of a riding golf cart but on the push cart it is loaded with longest clubs highest and shortest clubs lowest except for the Trouble Club with a steel shaft and the cleverly disguised ball retriever under the flag club cover.  (The swing guides have been re-designated as driveway guide markers for the winter and no longer reside in my golf bag.)  The mallet putter is always covered before reinserting to the bag to protect the graphite shafts on the hybrids and the hybrid irons with their graphite shafts do not have any clubhead contacts. 

1323559167_8_19.2021clubsLcrop400.jpg.18b9dcafae55162aa31863c3bd629ff6.jpg   446052234_bagtop3back400.jpg.93bc565d1598e4fb6f26ccc0e37b6b8f.jpg

In my observation and reasoning a cart bag needs to be redesigned to create a push cart bag, one where the insides of the cart bag is rotated 180 degrees to the outsides of the bag so all pockets are accessible and the bag carry strap (and in the truly brilliant invention of the Sun Mountain C-130 Smart Strap system) would be found in line with the putter well so all clubs fall naturally in an un-obstructive cascade from longest clubs at the top to the shortest clubs at the bottom with the bag as it leans on the push cart mounts.   IMHO of course.  😇

I have no doubt you will be working on the "best arrangement" as I have for years as nothing seems to be the ideal "that's it!"

That’s one of the main reasons I went with the Ping Traverse. The top is flat and symmetrical so it allows me to set it up with easily for push cart or riding cart. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

9 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

An ongoing problem/project to determine the best way to load the bag.  It is reversed when on the back of a riding golf cart but on the push cart it is loaded with longest clubs highest and shortest clubs lowest except for the Trouble Club with a steel shaft and the cleverly disguised ball retriever under the flag club cover.  (The swing guides have been re-designated as driveway guide markers for the winter and no longer reside in my golf bag.)  The mallet putter is always covered before reinserting to the bag to protect the graphite shafts on the hybrids and the hybrid irons with their graphite shafts do not have any clubhead contacts. 

1323559167_8_19.2021clubsLcrop400.jpg.18b9dcafae55162aa31863c3bd629ff6.jpg   446052234_bagtop3back400.jpg.93bc565d1598e4fb6f26ccc0e37b6b8f.jpg

In my observation and reasoning a cart bag needs to be redesigned to create a push cart bag, one where the insides of the cart bag is rotated 180 degrees to the outsides of the bag so all pockets are accessible and the bag carry strap (and in the truly brilliant invention of the Sun Mountain C-130 Smart Strap system) would be found in line with the putter well so all clubs fall naturally in an un-obstructive cascade from longest clubs at the top to the shortest clubs at the bottom with the bag as it leans on the push cart mounts.   IMHO of course.  😇

I have no doubt you will be working on the "best arrangement" as I have for years as nothing seems to be the ideal "that's it!"

Hmm looks like your alignment sticks are NY state issued road markers for snow plows to me.

34 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

Hahaha no that would imply NYS gives anything away 🤣  noooo but they are driveway markers from the hardware store (identical to golf store alignment sticks costing $20+ each and these are under $5 and come in yellow or orange!) unfortunately a couple orange markers shattered last year when they got backed over in a snowstorm...

I have the same ones in yellow. Found in the woods in NY. Snow plow must have sent them flying. Since it was summer I considered them a found item.

... I have experimented through the years and settled on a system that keeps my wedges at the bottom, irons on the outside and my lesser used clubs in the middle. I keep my even numbered irons on the right side and odd numbered irons on the left side. Woods at the top and hybrid just below that. I can pull a club without even looking as I walk 5 days a week and have been using this system for years. 

963370534_Bagsetup.JPG.00380d78dd7fbbc10c423acb448f83ec.JPG

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I'd put your longest clubs on the TOP row and shortest clubs on the Bottom row.. pretty much what cnosil posted.  that setup mikes it very hard for your iron heads to damage your graphite shafts in your woods and driver.  I have a Sun Mountain push cart and the matching cart bag they make to fit perfectly on their cart. Works great and it's easy to find the club I need every time. Been using this system for 20 years and it works very well. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

On 12/30/2021 at 7:34 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I'll apologize if is a copy of another post, but since I'm getting a push cart, I'm trying to determine the best way to configure my clubs for ease of use. 

I purchased a CaddyTek CaddyLite 11.5 V 3 Monday and since I ordered it Monday and it isn't being delivered until Tuesday, I have way too much time to think.

My bag is a Datrek DG Lite II which has 14 club slots and a putter well. Right now I'm looking to do something similar to what @GolfSpy_BOS did when he purchased the Woode bag and have the woods running down along the outside of the bag.

20211230_182220-01.jpeg.1d42ce41feee8c0b76833266db565443.jpeg

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Here's my 2 cents. What you'll find is that because the bag  is at an angle the grips will get caught one on another. Some bags are divided to the bottom and are less troublesome but will still get stuck  to some degree.  However,  Put graphite shafted clubs at the top.  This will keep iron heads from swinging and hitting  graphite shafts.  You won't find out that the shaft is damaged until  the downswing. 

On 12/30/2021 at 7:28 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

There is no harm in trying different combinations and see what works for you. You will know after a few holes if you like it or not.

This. I was playing around with a new configuration last season and knew by the second hole I didn't like it. Emptied my bag on the 3rd tee and put things back. I generally have a setup like @cnosil, but the downside is when I'm not walking and the bag is on a cart, it makes access to the shorter clubs a bit more painful if the putter well and pockets face the proper direction.

I really like @chisag's idea of putting lesser-used clubs in the middle. I may have to try it and see if I can overcome the OCD that likes everything in numerical order, left-to-right, top-to-bottom.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 minute ago, MaxEntropy said:

This. I was playing around with a new configuration last season and knew by the second hole I didn't like it. Emptied my bag on the 3rd tee and put things back. I generally have a setup like @cnosil, but the downside is when I'm not walking and the bag is on a cart, it makes access to the shorter clubs a bit more painful if the putter well and pockets face the proper direction.

I really like @chisag's idea of putting lesser-used clubs in the middle. I may have to try it and see if I can overcome the OCD that likes everything in numerical order, left-to-right, top-to-bottom.

I have the same problem with being OCD about top to bottom and left to right. Right now I've got it a little messed up with my 5 hybrid sitting in whatever spot I can find, but will probably remove the 5 iron and place it there. 

I'm probably going to do an initial couple of rounds leaving it add is, then experimenting to see if I like something else better. 

There have been some really good suggestions in this thread and I appreciate everyone who has responded. 

• 3 weeks later...

My (walking) bag layout logic:

Top row: Dr-7w-5w

Top middle row: 6i-4i-5i-7i because I like the longer clubs in the center to provide more room to grab wedges in the row below. Plus this puts my 9i-6i on the perimeter of the bag. 

Lower middle row: 8i-PW-GW-9i because this sets up my four wedges together near the center of the bag.

Bottom Row: SW-LW

IMG_7314.jpeg

Edited by Dog Faced Pony Soldier

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

I don't usually post stuff, but thought to share how I set up my bag with a push cart.  My bag actually has a putter tube on the side and I love it; it keeps my putter handy and also out of the way.  Used to have a carry bag with a putter slot at the top; it was an Ogio with the Woode style top.  I liked how that kept the woods down one side of the bag and so I tried to duplicate that with this bag as well as I could.  Very happy with my present bag set-up and have been playing with this arrangement for the last year.  Top to bottom on the right is Driver, 3w, 21*H, 24*H, and 28*H.  Irons are 6i - Gw, 54*w and 58*w.

Bag Setup_crop.jpg

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash, 9degree, Stock Green EvenFlow 45g, 5.0

3w: Callaway Epic Flash, 15degree, Stock Green EvenFlow, R

(Hobbyist; work on my own clubs for fun:)

3h, 4h, 5h: Maltby M890 (Maltby Pro Series Hybrid shaft, R)

Acer Pro XV 6-Gw (Recoil 660 R)

54*w, 58*w: Maltby TSW (Maltby Pro Series S...using the "spinner shaft" hack, lol)

Maltby Pure-Track Tour Milled Putter, 35", plus 2' loft

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 3 weeks later...