Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bunker full of water

benb1989

Playing the other day and a few bunkers were full of water. The pro shop told us before we went out that if relief can't be taking I side the bunker then relief can be taken outside the bunker no nearer the hole so that wasn't an issue.

On a par 3 I hit my tee shot into the green side bunker. We all saw it go in and all saw it splash. When we go up there the bunker was completely full of water, you couldn't step in the bunker without water covering your foot. We could see the ball, in the middle of the bunker, Under water. We couldn't reach the ball, but couldn't identify it, however it was the only ball in there, and knew my ball had gone in. As it was a friendly round I just dropped a ball outside the bunker and carried on. What would the normal ruling be? As I couldn't retrieve the ball would it have to be classed as a lost ball? 

:callaway-small:, Driver, Mavrik Max 10.5*, Aldila rouge white 60, XS flex

:mizuno-small:, 3 Wood, MX-700, S flex

:callaway-small:, 4 Hybrid, Mavrik Max, S flex

:Sub70: , 5-PW 699 Pro, KBS Tour S flex

:titelist-small:, Wedges, Vokey, 52*, 56*, 60*

:odyssey-small:, Putter, Stroke Lab Black #7

:titleist-small:, Pro V1

Happy to be corrected by others, but if you're playing 100% by the rules the ball has to be identified; if not, you can't take free relief.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

You get your caddie to take off their shoes and socks and go in after the ball so it can be identified. 

If you don't have a caddie then since you all saw the splash you send in the guy that requires the ball to be identified for free relief!   😂

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

In the decade I spent caddying, if there was ever standing water in ANY bunker, it was free relief outside the bunker no closer to the hole.

And yes I was sent in to fish them out as @Shapotomous suggests 😆

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Free relief, no closer to the hole is what I recall.  For our casual play, we move balls out of any standing water or muddy areas inside the bunker as well; either to a dry area in the bunker or outside the bunker. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Ya mean like this? Use your club to pull it out and drop no closer to the hole.

591234753_ScreenShot2021-12-31at9_15_56AM.png.01c6e1fe158302b990b1068415813ab9.png

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Yes, although the ball couldn't be reached. Was smack bang in the middle of a massive bunker. 

We all knew it was my ball, we all saw it go in and it was the only ball in the bunker, just couldn't see the markings. I'll just aim well left of that bunker in club comps and hope to avoid it ,,😂

3 hours ago, Dutch Boy said:

Thanks, my query is not so much about the relief I'm allowed. It's to do with the fact I couldn't retrieve my ball from the water in the bunker as it could not be reached. Am I allowed to take relief with another ball or do I need to wade in and get the ball. From the replies it would appear I need to somehow retrieve the ball 

4 hours ago, benb1989 said:

Thanks, my query is not so much about the relief I'm allowed. It's to do with the fact I couldn't retrieve my ball from the water in the bunker as it could not be reached. Am I allowed to take relief with another ball or do I need to wade in and get the ball. From the replies it would appear I need to somehow retrieve the ball 

Yes you always substitute another ball when taking relief. See rule 6.3b(1).

Haapy New Year everyone 😊

Falls under Rule 16.1e

e. Relief for Ball Not Found but in or on Abnormal Course Condition

If a player’s ball has not been found and it is known or virtually certain that the ball came to rest in or on an abnormal course condition on the course, the player may use this relief option instead of taking stroke-and-distance relief:

But if it is not known or virtually certain that the ball came to rest in or on an abnormal course condition and the ball is lost, the player must take stroke-and-distance relief under Rule 18.2.

Based on your statements,  it is know and virtually certain that the ball is in the abnormal course condition in the bunker.  As a result you now follow rule 16.1c

c. Relief for Your Ball in Bunker

If your ball is in a bunker and there is interference by an abnormal course condition on the course, you may take either:

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG