Should players sit out Bowl Games?

PMookie

At this time of year the discussion about whether or not to play in a team’s bowl game comes-up, so here are two scenarios. Are you playing in both scenarios, only one, or neither, and WHY?

You’re a first round pick in the NFL Draft and your team is in the semi-final, could be in the title game and win a championship.

You’re a first round pick in the NFL Draft and your team is playing on 1/1 in the Fiesta Bowl, no natty possible. Just a bowl game.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I’m playing if my team has a chance for a natty because if I’m a potential first rounder, I’m probably a big key in our chance to win it all. I would NOT play in the Fiesta, not taking the chance of an injury just for a plain old bowl game that means nothing.

1 hour ago, 2puttbogey said:

Pretty sure the consensus will be: if it’s a playoff game play, regular bowl no need to risk it. The Fiesta or any other is really just another game regardless of what the tv tells us. 

I would tend to agree, but I’m curious because some may be old school and think a player has to finish it out. 

Some folks my age think not playing in the bowl game is quitting, and it’s a “beware” sign for the NFL. You?

C4112152-69C5-4F58-A8B6-1120E5DA773D.jpeg.e18eb9bcacc591a23c49eda89b466dc6.jpeg

I've heard it called a business decision.....

But if I was a 1st round pick I'd put the 'business decision' back on the university and give them an opportunity to pay for a $5M insurance policy before the bowl game naming me as the beneficiary in case of injury that had an effect on my draft position.  

Of course I'd have probably already taken out a policy before my Sr season even started if I was projected as a 1st round pick.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

... Really tough question and no easy answer. If I grew up in poverty with nothing and no chances at life other than football, how do I risk injury and turn down a chance at the NFL that will give my Mom a house or at least repay her for all she did working 2 jobs so I could have food on the table and a roof over my head? So yea, easy to say play in a NC game but it all depends on where you came from and where you are going. I don't know Ben McDonald but I am guessing he had the kind of life many middle class and upper class folks do with zero understanding of what others go through. For me I guess it comes down to applauding those that choose to play and understanding those that don't. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Not playing at all. The risk of injury is too high anymore. You have to cash in while you can because it may never come around again. I can’t see going out their for a national championship Unless the school Covered a hefty insurance policy in case I got hurt, similar to the Anthony Kim insurance policy. Look at all the surgeries that McKenzie Milton from UCF and Jaylon Smith from Notre Dame went through. Granted Milton’s injury happened during the regular season, it would still be a reason for me to protect myself before that draft

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

Some folks my age think not playing in the bowl game is quitting, and it’s a “beware” sign for the NFL. You?

C4112152-69C5-4F58-A8B6-1120E5DA773D.jpeg.e18eb9bcacc591a23c49eda89b466dc6.jpeg

Well, Bruce Arians will not put up with it. 😁

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-leaves-field-in-middle-of-buccaneers-game-vs-jets-bruce-arians-says-hes-no-longer-a-buc/

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

2 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

... You have to think this is the result of CTE or mental illness or both. Such bizarre behavior for quite awhile now and I was surprised any team signed him after his stint with the Raiders. I hope he gets professional help. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... You have to think this is the result of CTE or mental illness or both. Such bizarre behavior for quite awhile now and I was surprised any team signed him after his stint with the Raiders. I hope he gets professional help. 

Amen. Such erratic behavior for some time now. Sadly, those closest to him are likely to be scared to say anything for fear of getting removed from the payroll, or retribution. Definitely needs help.

• PMookie changed the title to Should players sit out Bowl Games?
10 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I've heard it called a business decision.....

But if I was a 1st round pick I'd put the 'business decision' back on the university and give them an opportunity to pay for a $5M insurance policy before the bowl game naming me as the beneficiary in case of injury that had an effect on my draft position.  

Of course I'd have probably already taken out a policy before my Sr season even started if I was projected as a 1st round pick.

Great point!

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... Really tough question and no easy answer. If I grew up in poverty with nothing and no chances at life other than football, how do I risk injury and turn down a chance at the NFL that will give my Mom a house or at least repay her for all she did working 2 jobs so I could have food on the table and a roof over my head? So yea, easy to say play in a NC game but it all depends on where you came from and where you are going. I don't know Ben McDonald but I am guessing he had the kind of life many middle class and upper class folks do with zero understanding of what others go through. For me I guess it comes down to applauding those that choose to play and understanding those that don't. 

He was a country kid from S. Louisiana. Pitched for LSU, then in the Majors. Yeah, there are a number of kids I’ve coached and taught that come from places you describe. NFL stands for “Not For Long” too, with 3 years as the average time in the league. I coached a kid that played in the NBA and was a Top 10 pick. He lasted just through his initial contract and now he has no money. Spent it all. I have another kid I coached that played in the NFL. He’s been traded a ton, and wasn’t signed this year. Now he’s not sure what to do, but he’s got money in the bank. If I’m advising those two in this scenario I’d lean toward sitting-out as well.

If the coach gets to bail on the bowl game for greener pastures then the student can do so as well.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

One thing I read this morning really hit home for me. Colleges are all about the revenues in the tens of millions, if not hundreds for certain programs, coaches that make millions, etc. It’s a business. Players are just a commodity to the school, truly, so what obligation do they REALLY have to play? If it’s a business, then it should be for the player as well. Their earning power down the road should be most important. What’s the school going to do for the player long-term if the player suffers a career-ending injury? Nothing…. So, players do need to look at it from a business standpoint and not worry about the guilt-trip of “the TEAM”!!!

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

One thing I read this morning really hit home for me. Colleges are all about the revenues in the tens of millions, if not hundreds for certain programs, coaches that make millions, etc. It’s a business. Players are just a commodity to the school, truly, so what obligation do they REALLY have to play? If it’s a business, then it should be for the player as well. Their earning power down the road should be most important. What’s the school going to do for the player long-term if the player suffers a career-ending injury? Nothing…. So, players do need to look at it from a business standpoint and not worry about the guilt-trip of “the TEAM”!!!

The school has to pay for travel for the team, the athletes your are talking about are on scholarship which the school is paying for. The school is paying for the practice facilities and all the technology used amongst other things.  The athlete on scholarship has the obligation to play in all scheduled games. 

The type of athlete we are talking about repays a lot of that in merchandise and ticket sales generated.

The bowl games generally take place after the semester is over.  If the player does not participate to prep for the draft, they aren't enrolled at the school any longer anyway so the scholarship is not valid. 

While I understand the team aspect, the player needs to be concerned about his own future first.  The school would move on from the player in a heartbeat if he were no longer providing value.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The school has to pay for travel for the team, the athletes your are talking about are on scholarship which the school is paying for. The school is paying for the practice facilities and all the technology used amongst other things.  The athlete on scholarship has the obligation to play in all scheduled games. 

Yeah, I get that, but there is nothing protecting the athlete who gets injured and ends a career. Literally no obligation. I worked in LSU’s athletic department for a number of years, and I know what used to be provided. LSU had no obligation to pay lifelong bills, or lost income if the player is injured, so they pressure a 19 year old kid. It’s interesting how both Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly weren’t told to finish the year, when, in-fact, the University pays the buyout clause, which is millions of dollars. Heck, these potential first rounders are also taking the chance on losing endorsements in the future. If the University promises lifelong income, and health care, MAYBE, but otherwise it’s a business and they need to protect their “product”.

13 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Yeah, I get that, but there is nothing protecting the athlete who gets injured and ends a career. Literally no obligation. I worked in LSU’s athletic department for a number of years, and I know what used to be provided. LSU had no obligation to pay lifelong bills, or lost income if the player is injured, so they pressure a 19 year old kid. It’s interesting how both Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly weren’t told to finish the year, when, in-fact, the University pays the buyout clause, which is millions of dollars. Heck, these potential first rounders are also taking the chance on losing endorsements in the future. If the University promises lifelong income, and health care, MAYBE, but otherwise it’s a business and they need to protect their “product”.

If the athlete and the athletes family are smart they have a loss of value policy. 

Garunteed signing bonus for the #32 pick in last years NFL draft, 5.5 Million Dollars. Total value of the contract 11.2 Million.  The other 5.7 is not technically garunteed, and paid over 3-4 years.  It would be non-sensical to risk that kind of money no matter how small the chance that you could get injured in that bowl game.

Edited by stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I see all of this is about the players but what about the coaches who also are "opting out"... Brian Kelly left Notre Dame, Lincoln Riley left OU. If the players team is competing in the CFP I think they probably would play but look at what happened to Matt Corral. Luckily he didn't break anything or he could have slid far down the draft board.

Edited by stephenmatt