Jump to content

Driver length rules change 48" Max to 46" Max.


Syks7
 Share

Recommended Posts

 I play my driver at 46" which is now the new maximum club length.  When I cut the shaft down I wasn't too concerned with it being exactly on the dot.  The 46" is somewhat accurately measured to the end of the grip edge and does not include the cap.  Further I have a game golf tag on the end.  Where should I measure to insure that I'm under the limit for tournament play?  🤨

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red S (non velocore) 

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 63 G35t

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°,5I 24°,6I 27°,7I 31°,8I 35°,9I 39°,PW 44°-- True Temper Elevate Tour 

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

 I play my driver at 46" which is now the new maximum club length.  When I cut the shaft down I wasn't too concerned with it being exactly on the dot.  The 46" is somewhat accurately measured to the end of the grip edge and does not include the cap.  Further I have a game golf tag on the end.  Where should I measure to insure that I'm under the limit for tournament play?  🤨

https://www.usga.org/equipment-standards/equipment-rules-2019/equipment-rules/part-2-rule-2.html

For woods and irons, the measurement of length is taken when the club is lying on a horizontal plane and the sole is set against a 60 degree plane as shown in Fig. 3. The length is defined as the distance from the point of the intersection between the two planes to the top of the grip. For putters, the measurement of length is taken from the top of the grip along the axis of the shaft or a straight line extension of it to the sole of the club.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Syks7 in case you were not already aware, the 46” limit is an optional local rule that intended for the highest levels of competition. It is unlikely that most amateurs will be playing in an event where this rule will be in place.

  • Like 4

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

31 minutes ago, storm319 said:

@Syks7 in case you were not already aware, the 46” limit is an optional local rule that intended for the highest levels of competition. It is unlikely that most amateurs will be playing in an event where this rule will be in place.

I was not aware of that.  I can pretty much guarantee that zero of the tournaments I will be involved in would qualify to be at the 'highest level'.  Very much appreciated, because the 1/8" width of the cap is what would have to come off the end of my driver shaft to be in compliance.  I'm not even sure I could cut it off cleanly without the butt end splintering.  

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red S (non velocore) 

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 63 G35t

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°,5I 24°,6I 27°,7I 31°,8I 35°,9I 39°,PW 44°-- True Temper Elevate Tour 

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Syks7 said:

I was not aware of that.  I can pretty much guarantee that zero of the tournaments I will be involved in would qualify to be at the 'highest level'. 

I'm always interested in the propagation of partial truths about the rules, can I ask where you got the impression that the rule had changed for everyone?  This type of thing is the reason I always recommend that players look to the source, to the USGA or R&A to understand exactly what is changing.  In this case, here's the announcement from this past October, which contains a link to the actual Model Local Rule:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2021/10/local-rule-usga-randa-limits-club-length.html

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm always interested in the propagation of partial truths about the rules, can I ask where you got the impression that the rule had changed for everyone? 

I was skimming an article that was along the lines of 'Rule changes for the year that could affect you'.   Total clickbait.  Though, when I think back on it did mention the local component without really explaining the purpose.  I then followed it up by looking up the rule change, but still didn't really understand the intent of the local component.  I'd misinterpreted that it might be more widespread instead of understanding that it was aimed at the highest levels of play. 

Long story short, I created my own misinformation in my head by misunderstanding the language.  You'd think that interpreting building code for a living would make me immune to this but I guess not.  I'm glad it was pointed out.

  • Like 1

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red S (non velocore) 

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 63 G35t

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: RSI2 - 4I 20°,5I 24°,6I 27°,7I 31°,8I 35°,9I 39°,PW 44°-- True Temper Elevate Tour 

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour Stiff

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

I was skimming an article that was along the lines of 'Rule changes for the year that could affect you'.   Total clickbait.  Though, when I think back on it did mention the local component without really explaining the purpose.  I then followed it up by looking up the rule change, but still didn't really understand the intent of the local component.  I'd misinterpreted that it might be more widespread instead of understanding that it was aimed at the highest levels of play. 

Long story short, I created my own misinformation in my head by misunderstanding the language.  You'd think that interpreting building code for a living would make me immune to this but I guess not.  I'm glad it was pointed out.

I don't blame you, shortly after I asked my question I received a link to this story:

https://clubhouse.swingu.com/rules/2022-rules-changes-driver-length-greens-books-amateur-status/

The article discusses "Three Impactful Rule Changes", two of which are newly approved Model Local Rules which will generally be applied only at the highest levels.  There's only a passing reference to the fact that these rules will probably never apply to any of us.    

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't blame you, shortly after I asked my question I received a link to this story:

https://clubhouse.swingu.com/rules/2022-rules-changes-driver-length-greens-books-amateur-status/

The article discusses "Three Impactful Rule Changes", two of which are newly approved Model Local Rules which will generally be applied only at the highest levels.  There's only a passing reference to the fact that these rules will probably never apply to any of us.    

This is why I go straight to the USGA website for any rule reference.

  • Like 2

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will be interesting to monitor Brooke Henderson this year to see the impact.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/01/05/brooke-henderson-driver-change-lpga-local-rule/?taid=61d5eacced344f00012e83dc

  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DrRob1963 said:

Why exempt putters? They should really be limited to just 36"!

Kind of off topic; start a topic and explain why you think that putters should be limited to 36”

  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...