TESTERS WANTED! ×

2022 TaylorMade Stealth Driver Line Official Launch

Richard Wise

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yup, Callaway does this all the time!

But TMaG evil!

And wonder how many people know that those evil TM guys from 17/1700 now work at Callaway and Cobra

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

19 hours ago, Dog Faced Pony Soldier said:

Allegedly TaylorMade brings a new driver to market too often. Would someone care to explain how having new drivers available in the marketplace is a problem? Seems even less of a issue if I were to buy into the concept that these new drivers don't offer any performance improvement. 

The people that worry about such things are constantly worried about clubs resale value. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Just received this from my TrueSpec feed and thought some might enjoy... more product testing 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 2 weeks later...

Signed-up for a 1-on-1 TM fitting for driver on the 17th at the semi-private where I play. I love to demo stuff and see what they can put together, so this will be fun!

3CA8E5AD-99F0-474C-8031-BAFCB06382F9.jpeg.4e95940d0f69b30d1ac6f942bf98ffcb.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Anyone know if the Kaili White stock shaft option is the real deal, or a TM one like non-velocore Ventus?

9 hours ago, PMookie said:

Anyone know if the Kaili White stock shaft option is the real deal, or a TM one like non-velocore Ventus?

To my knowledge it’s the real deal. Not sure why it matters though if it fits your swing with the club.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

To my knowledge it’s the real deal. Not sure why it matters though if it fits your swing with the club.

Doesn’t, was just curious because I’m known to sell things down the road and a “made for” shaft has a lower resale value. 

12 hours ago, PMookie said:

Signed-up for a 1-on-1 TM fitting for driver at the semi-private where I play on the 17th. I love to demo stuff and see what they can put together, so this will be fun!

3CA8E5AD-99F0-474C-8031-BAFCB06382F9.jpeg.4e95940d0f69b30d1ac6f942bf98ffcb.jpeg

I went for this fitting at a private club last week and it was great - I will be curious to hear the difference between the two experiences.  I saw your other question about a particular shaft being the real deal or not - I tried a number of shaft/head combos during my fitting and the rep swore, when asked, that the shafts I asked about were the "real deal." 

I've come full circle on this though.  I think it's time to recognize that if the club OEM and the shaft OEM are sticking their name on the product they have a vested interest in making sure that it's a quality offering.  Even if it were not a true aftermarket shaft I'd suspect the two have worked together to find a nice fit between shaft and head for certain swing types.  If the fitter can identify your swing type and then the shaft/head combo in his line that fits best for it, you'll be good to go or at least fairly compare with other lines.

Enjoy!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

11 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Doesn’t, was just curious because I’m known to sell things down the road and a “made for” shaft has a lower resale value. 

Gotcha. That Kailua white is no upcharge so even with the terrible resale value of it you can make some money. 

The TX version has slightly better resale. 

1 minute ago, revkev said:

I went for this fitting at a private club last week and it was great - I will be curious to hear the difference between the two experiences.  I saw your other question about a particular shaft being the real deal or not - I tried a number of shaft/head combos during my fitting and the rep swore, when asked, that the shafts I asked about were the "real deal." 

I've come full circle on this though.  I think it's time to recognize that if the club OEM and the shaft OEM are sticking their name on the product they have a vested interest in making sure that it's a quality offering.  Even if it were not a true aftermarket shaft I'd suspect the two have worked together to find a nice fit between shaft and head for certain swing types.  If the fitter can identify your swing type and then the shaft/head combo in his line that fits best for it, you'll be good to go or at least fairly compare with other lines.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Looking forward to it. I’m not imagining that anything will show to be better than what I’m playing, especially when almost every review I’ve seen or read about the Stealth driver doesn’t show significant gains over Sim or Sim 2, but I LOVE to hit everything that comes out in a true fitting scenario. Would be fun to hit the Sim 2 driver as well, but I don’t think they’ll offer that. Should be fun as long as the weather holds-up!

As most should know by now after my 10 years on this site, I go get fitted and whatever works is what works for me (Edel, KZG, MMT driver shaft, Xphlexxx shafts) I’m not worried about if it’s “real” from a “snobby” standpoint, it’s about resale value for me… I’m known to go through clubs, and I sell what I have to make room for what’s coming, so a “made for” shaft has less value on the resale market and would need to be noted when selling. 

Fitters will immediately know the client is from MGS when he/she run the fingernail test 🙂.  

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

Good point.  PING is well known for their co-engineering of stock shaft offerings but, in their case, they are not branded as an aftermarket shaft. I agree with your statement that if it offers the best fit, one's good to go but do feel that if there are differences in design, they should be open about that and it be labeled accordingly.  It get's back to the "truth in advertising" principle.

11 minutes ago, revkev said:

This is the truth. The club oem tells the shaft oem they want their hottest shaft but don’t want to pay the premium price but they also want the shaft to fit more golfers, typically the shaft is low/low design but that doesn’t fit the wider spectrum of golfer who needs help with launch and they typically prefer ima softer feel which many of the low/low shafts don’t offer. So the shaft company has their design team come up with something and in under a day it can be a tested. 

From Wishon’s shaft myths

Shaft Myth #6 – The more expensive a shaft, the better its quality and the better it performs

There are few things in the golf industry that have become as much of a sore spot with me as this matter of shafts that cost $100, $200, $300 and even more. Shoot, I remember when we all thought a $40 shaft was expensive! What’s even worse are the uninformed golfers who see these $100 – $300 shafts and automatically form the opinion that if it costs that much, it has to be a really good shaft. 

You want to know what the definition of a “good shaft” is? A good shaft is any shaft that has been very accurately matched for its weight, overall stiffness, bend profile, weight distribution and torque to a golfer’s clubhead speed, transition force, downswing tempo, wrist-**** release, strength and sense of feel. That’s the definition of a “good shaft” and it has absolutely nothing to do with brand, model or price. 

There are 5 different specifications that determine the performance differences between shafts. 1) mass (weight); 2) overall stiffness (flex); 3) bend profile (distribution of the stiffness over the length of the shaft); 4) weight distribution (balance point); 5) torsional stiffness (torque). Two of these, the weight and the torque, are definitely related to the cost of the shaft. The lighter the weight and the lower the torque of a shaft, the more expensive the shaft will be to make. In other words, if you want to make a very stiff 45 gram shaft with less than 3? of torque, that shaft is going to cost a lot more money to make than a 65 gram softer flex shaft with 5? of torque. . . but not $100 to $300 by any means. 

The other three shaft design elements, a shaft’s overall stiffness, bend profile and balance point, are not even close to being as price sensitive as the weight and torque. Standard modulus (low cost) graphite raw materials can be used to make any flex, bend profile or balance point from soft L to very stiff X. 

Yes, many of the high dollar shafts are actually made with more expensive raw composite materials. But they don’t need to be made with such expensive materials to achieve their weight, flex, bend profile, balance point and torque. In my career I have measured the specifications of literally thousands of different shafts, and from my experience, I have yet to see a $100 to $300 shaft that could not be duplicated for weight, flex, bend profile, balance point and torque and sold at a normal profit in the industry for an aftermarket price of $25 to $50.

Shaft Myth #10 – How a shaft performs for a golfer is an indication of its quality

No, how a shaft performs for a golfer is an indication of how well the shaft’s weight, flex, bend profile, balance point and torque were FIT to the golfer’s size, strength, athletic ability and swing characteristics. Remember what I said about “good shafts” and “bad shafts”? There are no such things. There are only well fit and poorly fit shafts. 

Shaft quality is more a case of how consistently can the shaft maker hit each one of the production specifications for each shaft they make within a very narrow range of error tolerance, shaft after shaft after shaft. And believe me, by no means does the cost of a shaft guarantee this definition of shaft quality. 

In my shaft research work, my shaft data base now includes nearly 2000 different shaft models. In doing this, I get a chance to measure all sorts of specifications on a lot of different shafts from most of the shaft manufacturers in the world. When you measure multiples of the same model and flex of shafts, you get the chance to see who maintains tight error tolerances and who doesn’t. And I can tell you, the price of a shaft is not always related to how consistent or how tight the tolerances are for a company’s shafts. 

Some of the high dollar shafts do display very tight, consistent error tolerances. Some don’t. And some of the lower priced shafts show a very high level of shaft to shaft consistency while again, some do not.

I actually WON the Stealth Plus+ (marketing/influencer) package from the AJGA instagram giveaway. Was able to hit it just a handful of times and it sounds great. I need to put it up against my current TM M6 gamer to see how it compares. Initial impressions are very low spin (for me). I hit my best 2 that were 1300 & 1700 rpm. But the peak heights were good, launch was 10 & 12deg

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

1 minute ago, JonMUSC08 said:

I actually WON the Stealth Plus+ (marketing/influencer) package from the AJGA instagram giveaway. Was able to hit it just a handful of times and it sounds great. I need to put it up against my current TM M6 gamer to see how it compares. Initial impressions are very low spin (for me). I hit my best 2 that were 1300 & 1700 rpm. But the peak heights were good, launch was 10 & 12deg

Those spin numbers are terrifying

6 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Fitters will immediately know the client is from MGS when he/she run the fingernail test 🙂.  

Good point.  PING is well known for their co-engineering of stock shaft offerings but, in their case, they are not branded as an aftermarket shaft. I agree with your statement that if it offers the best fit, one's good to go but do feel that if there are differences in design, they should be open about that and it be labeled accordingly.  It get's back to the "truth in advertising" principle.

Ping is somewhat unique in the golf industry when it comes to this. They are an engineering company at heart and got into golf. They have a design team that does extensive shaft testing and design work. They work with UST for the Ping Tour shaft and with Aldila on the Alta shaft. They aren’t branded as aftermarket because they aren’t the same name as any other shaft on the market even though as in the case with the pin tour is build off the Elements Chrome/chrome+ shaft.

The ventus, atmos shafts and others carry the name and depending on the company or something else have a different paint job.

I’ve heard that TM paid Fujikura for the ventus name which is why they had the same color and name. Not sure if Callaway did the same this year. 

Just now, jlukes said:

Not a fan of a knuckle ball?? haha 

yea pretty low but that with their stock HZDS Red shaft (mid/mid). I would need more of a high/high shaft (which i'll steal from my current M6)

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Those are not course friendly at all. 

Just now, jlukes said:

Shafts dont spin.  You look at strike location and dynamic loft 

This is one of those things like lag that golfers just can’t let go of. 

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Ping is somewhat unique in the golf industry when it comes to this. They are an engineering company at heart and got into golf. They have a design team that does extensive shaft testing and design work. They work with UST for the Ping Tour shaft and with Aldila on the Alta shaft. They aren’t branded as aftermarket because they aren’t the same name as any other shaft on the market even though as in the case with the pin tour is build off the Elements Chrome/chrome+ shaft.

The ventus, atmos shafts and others carry the name and depending on the company or something else have a different paint job.

I’ve heard that TM paid Fujikura for the ventus name which is why they had the same color and name. Not sure if Callaway did the same this year. 

I just feel that any stock shaft that isn't the same exact design as the "real one", should be advertised as such.  We consistently see folks asking the "real deal or copy" question or, worse, buying a shaft under the presumption it's the same only to find out it is not.  IMO, it's underhanded marketing.

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Shafts dont spin.  You look at strike location and dynamic loft 

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is one of those things like lag that golfers just can’t let go of. 

Unfortunately could not get dynamic loft from the GC2. 

We are ignoring those first 2 shots as "warmups". 

Stealth Plus 5 shots.jpg

Edited by JonMUSC08

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I just feel that any stock shaft that isn't the same exact design as the "real one", should be advertised as such.  We consistently see folks asking the "real deal or copy" question or, worse, buying a shaft under the presumption it's the same only to find out it is not.  IMO, it's underhanded marketing.

They are marketed differently. Let’s take the ventus because it’s the easiest and most popular/well recognized one. If you look at any of the golf companies that offer it they will have velocore in the title of the shaft Indicating it’s the “aftermarket” version. The companies that have a made for version you won’t see that on the website. If one physically looks at the shaft they will also see near the tip velocore if it’s the aftermarket version. 

One can simply look at the the specs and see they are different as well. Unlike 5 years or further back when the practice was a little more deceptive everyone has access to the internet and can research the shafts and compare.

The reason you see this is because people have been led to believe that made for shafts are inferior products. But if you read the post above with a couple of the shaft myths you can see it’s a misperception by the golfer.

Yes for someone whose swing fits better into the velocore version the made for is going to suck and be inferior in performance because it’s an I’ll fit. Whether it’s the weight, balance, feel, ei profile or a combo of them that’s off for that golfer. But as revkev saw in his fitting last year the non velocore version for his swing. So for him it’s not inferior.

Unfortunately golfers like to hold onto old perceptions and concepts that have been proven to be wrong. See how many times people talk about holding lag or wanting a different shaft to fix spin and/or launch. 

22 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Unfortunately could not get dynamic loft from the GC2. 

We are ignoring those first 2 shots as "warmups". 

Stealth Plus 5 shots.jpg

Looks like you hit 3 different spots on the face and to your original comment about peak height only the middle shot shown was an ok peak height. Your descent angle isn’t close to being good. Those should be 42+

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unlike 5 years or further back when the practice was a little more deceptive everyone has access to the internet and can research the shafts and compare.

Glad to hear the level of deception is less but still feel they should be straight up open about it as opposed to relying on 90% of the consumer base not being knowledgeable of the details.  I seem to recall lots of these questions about Tensei shafts and were it not for this forum, wouldn't have known there are differences.

30 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Glad to hear the level of deception is less but still feel they should be straight up open about it as opposed to relying on 90% of the consumer base not being knowledgeable of the details.  I seem to recall lots of these questions about Tensei shafts and were it not for this forum, wouldn't have known there are differences.

But the thing is the large percentage of the consumer base is not knowledgeable about golf clubs, shafts and design in general. The large consumer base buys without a fitting. What they do is buy based off the old philosophy of stiff shafts for higher swing speeds. Blades for better players and larger iron heads for slow swings and higher handicaps. They see the advertisements on tv and buy off that. 

We see people come on here who bought off the rack based on swing speed or handicap and it didn’t work and then want help. 

Imo the marketing isn’t deceptive. These companies have tons of data on what is being bought and by who. They get feedback from their reps at demo days, they look at custom orders that come in. The marketing is directed at the large consumer base that doesn’t care about the details. The made for shafts are to offer another option to fit the customer. Most of these golfers already have the perception that the tour players don’t use the same equipment at retail so they won’t know the ventus shaft is aftermarket or not when it’s on the shelf 

Edit: Forum members regardless of the type of forum are going to generally have more knowledge that the general consumer base. Then within that forum crowd you are going to have various levels of knowledge. Some work in the industry, some have learned from their time on the forums, and some have gained more thru their time spent talking directly with the people at the brands over the course of a weekend or a few days during the week.

44 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Imo the marketing isn’t deceptive. These companies have tons of data on what is being bought and by who. They get feedback from their reps at demo days, they look at custom orders that come in. The marketing is directed at the large consumer base that doesn’t care about the details. The made for shafts are to offer another option to fit the customer. Most of these golfers already have the perception that the tour players don’t use the same equipment at retail so they won’t know the ventus shaft is aftermarket or not when it’s on the shel

So that's why I like what PING does... they don't even get close to making it (at a glance) look like the after market shaft.  The deception, IMO, is that some do - relying on the vast majority of consumers lack of knowledge. 

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So that's why I like what PING does... they don't even get close to making it (at a glance) look like the after market shaft.  The deception, IMO, is that some do - relying on the vast majority of consumers lack of knowledge. 

Are they relying on their lack of knowledge or are they aware of the lack of knowledge and the buying tendencies of the consumer and know the consumer sees something on tv and wants to play it and instead of spending more money to get the aftermarket and offer it for free that won’t fit the general consumer they provide them the same look or name with a profile that fits them and in return reduces trade ins within the first several months or feedback that the driver isn’t good.

Having spent one night having dinner with Tom O and another with Mike Yagley from Cobra as well as spending several hours hanging out in between golf and dinner with Tom the designers and marketing team understand the general consumer pretty well and what they do it produce clubs and pair them with shafts that are going to provide them the best off the shelf experience.