2022 TaylorMade Stealth Driver Line Official Launch

Richard Wise

7 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Not a fan of a knuckle ball?? haha 

yea pretty low but that with their stock HZDS Red shaft (mid/mid). I would need more of a high/high shaft (which i'll steal from my current M6)

Shafts dont spin.  You look at strike location and dynamic loft 

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

Just now, jlukes said:

This is one of those things like lag that golfers just can’t let go of. 

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Ping is somewhat unique in the golf industry when it comes to this. They are an engineering company at heart and got into golf. They have a design team that does extensive shaft testing and design work. They work with UST for the Ping Tour shaft and with Aldila on the Alta shaft. They aren’t branded as aftermarket because they aren’t the same name as any other shaft on the market even though as in the case with the pin tour is build off the Elements Chrome/chrome+ shaft.

The ventus, atmos shafts and others carry the name and depending on the company or something else have a different paint job.

I’ve heard that TM paid Fujikura for the ventus name which is why they had the same color and name. Not sure if Callaway did the same this year. 

I just feel that any stock shaft that isn't the same exact design as the "real one", should be advertised as such.  We consistently see folks asking the "real deal or copy" question or, worse, buying a shaft under the presumption it's the same only to find out it is not.  IMO, it's underhanded marketing.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is one of those things like lag that golfers just can’t let go of. 

Unfortunately could not get dynamic loft from the GC2. 

We are ignoring those first 2 shots as "warmups". 

Stealth Plus 5 shots.jpg

Edited by JonMUSC08

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I just feel that any stock shaft that isn't the same exact design as the "real one", should be advertised as such.  We consistently see folks asking the "real deal or copy" question or, worse, buying a shaft under the presumption it's the same only to find out it is not.  IMO, it's underhanded marketing.

They are marketed differently. Let’s take the ventus because it’s the easiest and most popular/well recognized one. If you look at any of the golf companies that offer it they will have velocore in the title of the shaft Indicating it’s the “aftermarket” version. The companies that have a made for version you won’t see that on the website. If one physically looks at the shaft they will also see near the tip velocore if it’s the aftermarket version. 

One can simply look at the the specs and see they are different as well. Unlike 5 years or further back when the practice was a little more deceptive everyone has access to the internet and can research the shafts and compare.

The reason you see this is because people have been led to believe that made for shafts are inferior products. But if you read the post above with a couple of the shaft myths you can see it’s a misperception by the golfer.

Yes for someone whose swing fits better into the velocore version the made for is going to suck and be inferior in performance because it’s an I’ll fit. Whether it’s the weight, balance, feel, ei profile or a combo of them that’s off for that golfer. But as revkev saw in his fitting last year the non velocore version for his swing. So for him it’s not inferior.

Unfortunately golfers like to hold onto old perceptions and concepts that have been proven to be wrong. See how many times people talk about holding lag or wanting a different shaft to fix spin and/or launch. 

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

13 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Stealth Plus 5 shots.jpg

Loft up.  

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

22 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Stealth Plus 5 shots.jpg

Looks like you hit 3 different spots on the face and to your original comment about peak height only the middle shot shown was an ok peak height. Your descent angle isn’t close to being good. Those should be 42+

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unlike 5 years or further back when the practice was a little more deceptive everyone has access to the internet and can research the shafts and compare.

Glad to hear the level of deception is less but still feel they should be straight up open about it as opposed to relying on 90% of the consumer base not being knowledgeable of the details.  I seem to recall lots of these questions about Tensei shafts and were it not for this forum, wouldn't have known there are differences.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Glad to hear the level of deception is less but still feel they should be straight up open about it as opposed to relying on 90% of the consumer base not being knowledgeable of the details.  I seem to recall lots of these questions about Tensei shafts and were it not for this forum, wouldn't have known there are differences.

But the thing is the large percentage of the consumer base is not knowledgeable about golf clubs, shafts and design in general. The large consumer base buys without a fitting. What they do is buy based off the old philosophy of stiff shafts for higher swing speeds. Blades for better players and larger iron heads for slow swings and higher handicaps. They see the advertisements on tv and buy off that. 

We see people come on here who bought off the rack based on swing speed or handicap and it didn’t work and then want help. 

Imo the marketing isn’t deceptive. These companies have tons of data on what is being bought and by who. They get feedback from their reps at demo days, they look at custom orders that come in. The marketing is directed at the large consumer base that doesn’t care about the details. The made for shafts are to offer another option to fit the customer. Most of these golfers already have the perception that the tour players don’t use the same equipment at retail so they won’t know the ventus shaft is aftermarket or not when it’s on the shelf 

Edit: Forum members regardless of the type of forum are going to generally have more knowledge that the general consumer base. Then within that forum crowd you are going to have various levels of knowledge. Some work in the industry, some have learned from their time on the forums, and some have gained more thru their time spent talking directly with the people at the brands over the course of a weekend or a few days during the week.

44 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Imo the marketing isn’t deceptive. These companies have tons of data on what is being bought and by who. They get feedback from their reps at demo days, they look at custom orders that come in. The marketing is directed at the large consumer base that doesn’t care about the details. The made for shafts are to offer another option to fit the customer. Most of these golfers already have the perception that the tour players don’t use the same equipment at retail so they won’t know the ventus shaft is aftermarket or not when it’s on the shel

So that's why I like what PING does... they don't even get close to making it (at a glance) look like the after market shaft.  The deception, IMO, is that some do - relying on the vast majority of consumers lack of knowledge. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So that's why I like what PING does... they don't even get close to making it (at a glance) look like the after market shaft.  The deception, IMO, is that some do - relying on the vast majority of consumers lack of knowledge. 

Are they relying on their lack of knowledge or are they aware of the lack of knowledge and the buying tendencies of the consumer and know the consumer sees something on tv and wants to play it and instead of spending more money to get the aftermarket and offer it for free that won’t fit the general consumer they provide them the same look or name with a profile that fits them and in return reduces trade ins within the first several months or feedback that the driver isn’t good.

Having spent one night having dinner with Tom O and another with Mike Yagley from Cobra as well as spending several hours hanging out in between golf and dinner with Tom the designers and marketing team understand the general consumer pretty well and what they do it produce clubs and pair them with shafts that are going to provide them the best off the shelf experience. 

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

... I really think it is much more complicated that that. If TaylorMade offered a Ventus Blue with Velocore as the stock shaft in their drivers the average player would not like it at all and they would have no idea the problem was the shaft and just think the driver sucks. Yet that same guy hitting a much friendlier made for Ventus without a very stiff tip may love the driver having no idea the shaft fits them much better. If I had to make a random educated guess, I would think about 90% of every golfer walking into a golf store to hit the new drivers have no idea about "real ones" or "made for" shafts. Most golfers I have been paired up through the years have absolutely no idea what shaft they are hitting and shockingly many don't even know the flex. I know, seems crazy to us forum golfers but most average golfers are blissfuly ignorant. I also see average players using real deal aftermarket shafts that do not fit them at all but their relative gave it to them or they got it used for a great deal. I was just playing with a really good 78 yr old golfer that was using a Callaway low spin head with an Even Flow Black in x flex and carried the ball about 150 with a very low trajectory he thought was great in the desert. I had him hit my Sim2 Max with an r flex Tensei Blue and my guess is he carried it closer to 180 with a much higher ball flight and gained about 30-40 yds or more. He was pretty shocked and thought the higher flight would rob him of roll. He also had no idea he was playing an x flex shaft. This is a good player shooting an 82 at 78 yrs old and was completely clueless about his equipment. He said he was gonna go buy a used Sim2 Max and I told him to get fitted because there may be another driver and shaft that worked better for him and the only way to find out was through a fitting. 

... I spent quite a bit of time talking with an OEM years ago that wanted to offer a hot aftermarket shaft as stock in their driver. But they found through extensive play testing that the tip was too stiff and the average player did not like the feel or ball flight and hit it poorly. So they had the shaft OEM design a "Made For" shaft that was truly a Made For shaft with the same materials as the aftermarket shaft but increased the torque for better feel and softened the tip for a higher ball flight. It is one of the things I saw at the PGA Show Demo Day over and over again. "Knowledgable" media and golf store owners wanting to hit the hot aftermarket shaft and of course the OEM is happy to let them, but many more than not would hit poor shots and the rep would put them in a friendlier shaft which was often the made for shaft and they hit much better shots. Equally interesting is the grass roots PGA guys at the show would hit the made for shaft reasonably well, but almost always fine tuned with another after market shaft that performed better for their higher swing speed and more consistent contact. I honestly never saw a PGA guy hit a made for shaft and hit a bad shot or say "this is a POS". Just maybe a littler higher with more spin and not as tight of dispersion as an aftermarket shaft that fit their swing better. ALL made for shafts are good shafts. 

... Fwiw my personal opinion is those with equipment knowledge like forum members, know the made for shafts like Ventus are not a true aftermarket shaft so they are not being mislead. The rest have no idea what an aftermarket or Made For shaft is so they are not really misled either. Sim2 Max was not stocked retail with a Tensei Blue Raw shaft but the lower spinning Sim2 was because it was bought by better golfers that could handle the Tensei. I had to special order my Sim2 Max to get the Tensei Blue Raw shaft. So TM did offer a real deal Tensei shaft for no upcharge if you wanted one but only stocked the Ventus Made For because they knew it would fit the average golfer much better, not because they want to mislead them. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

And the club brands know there are more educated golfers who are going to either going to go to a place like dicks, gg, pgass to hit a bunch of clubs and shafts but not do a fitting and the shaft they put in the clubs that are in the rack might not be a fit for so they have other no upcharge shafts for that more educated golfer that come in different weights and flexes. They know these golfers aren’t going to spend $100-300 for upcharge aftermarket shafts so they buy some shafts like the hzrdus line in large quantities.

Then they know there are golfers who want to get fit and find what works either at no upcharge or for a premium price. It’s why when you look at shaft matrix from the different companies you will see 30+ shafts. You will also see that some companies charge more for certain upcharge shafts than others. 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I really think it is much more complicated that that. If TaylorMade offered a Ventus Blue with Velocore as the stock shaft in their drivers the average player would not like it at all and they would have no idea the problem was the shaft and just think the driver sucks. Yet that same guy hitting a much friendlier made for Ventus without a very stiff tip may love the driver having no idea the shaft fits them much better. If I had to make a random educated guess, I would think about 90% of every golfer walking into a golf store to hit the new drivers have no idea about "real ones" or "made for" shafts. Most golfers I have been paired up through the years have absolutely no idea what shaft they are hitting and shockingly many don't even know the flex. I know, seems crazy to us forum golfers but most average golfers are blissfuly ignorant. I also see average players using real deal aftermarket shafts that do not fit them at all but their relative gave it to them or they got it used for a great deal. I was just playing with a really good 78 yr old golfer that was using a Callaway low spin head with an Even Flow Black in x flex and carried the ball about 150 with a very low trajectory he thought was great in the desert. I had him hit my Sim2 Max with an r flex Tensei Blue and my guess is he carried it closer to 180 with a much higher ball flight and gained about 30-40 yds or more. He was pretty shocked and thought the higher flight would rob him of roll. He also had no idea he was playing an x flex shaft. This is a good player shooting an 82 at 78 yrs old and was completely clueless about his equipment. He said he was gonna go buy a used Sim2 Max and I told him to get fitted because there may be another driver and shaft that worked better for him and the only way to find out was through a fitting. 

... I spent quite a bit of time talking with an OEM years ago that wanted to offer a hot aftermarket shaft as stock in their driver. But they found through extensive play testing that the tip was too stiff and the average player did not like the feel or ball flight and hit it poorly. So they had the shaft OEM design a "Made For" shaft that was truly a Made For shaft with the same materials as the aftermarket shaft but increased the torque for better feel and softened the tip for a higher ball flight. It is one of the things I saw at the PGA Show Demo Day over and over again. "Knowledgable" media and golf store owners wanting to hit the hot aftermarket shaft and of course the OEM is happy to let them, but many more than not would hit poor shots and the rep would put them in a friendlier shaft which was often the made for shaft and they hit much better shots. Equally interesting is the grass roots PGA guys at the show would hit the made for shaft reasonably well, but almost always fine tuned with another after market shaft that performed better for their higher swing speed and more consistent contact. I honestly never saw a PGA guy hit a made for shaft and hit a bad shot or say "this is a POS". Just maybe a littler higher with more spin and not as tight of dispersion as an aftermarket shaft that fit their swing better. ALL made for shafts are good shafts. 

... Fwiw my personal opinion is those with equipment knowledge like forum members, know the made for shafts like Ventus are not a true aftermarket shaft so they are not being mislead. The rest have no idea what an aftermarket or Made For shaft is so they are not really misled either. Sim2 Max was not stocked retail with a Tensei Blue Raw shaft but the lower spinning Sim2 was because it was bought by better golfers that could handle the Tensei. I had to special order my Sim2 Max to get the Tensei Blue Raw shaft. So TM did offer a real deal Tensei shaft for no upcharge if you wanted one but only stocked the Ventus Made For because they knew it would fit the average golfer much better, not because they want to mislead them. 

I get all that Sam, we're not differing on opinion about informed vs. uninformed or whether the co-engineered (looks like) shafts actually are better for many players.  My beef is that they make them look like the aftermarket shaft.  If it isn't the duck, don't make it look one. PING takes this approach and I applaud them for that 👏.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I get all that Sam, we're not differing on opinion about informed vs. uninformed or whether the co-engineered (looks like) shafts actually are better for many players.  My beef is that they make them look like the aftermarket shaft.  If it isn't the duck, don't make it look one. PING takes this approach and I applaud them for that 👏.

... Well on one hand you have a shaft similar to the aftermarket shaft but changed to be more user friendly. On the other you have Ping offering shafts they know fit their players best without any type of after market "copying". I would love to be in the meetings or focus groups to see why they take the different approaches but agree with you that Ping has a better or less confusing model. 👍

• Like 1

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

50 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Well on one hand you have a shaft similar to the aftermarket shaft but changed to be more user friendly. On the other you have Ping offering shafts they know fit their players best without any type of after market "copying". I would love to be in the meetings or focus groups to see why they take the different approaches but agree with you that Ping has a better or less confusing model. 👍

I had a long conversation with Ping reps from hq during the g400 release. Ping spends months gathering data and studying it before deciding what shafts will be offered both as stock/no upcharge and what will be upcharge. They don’t offer as many options with no upcharge or upcharge compared to the rest of the brands.

They also want their own line of shafts and this is where they got the Ping tour and the Alta shaft. These are engineered to work with their head design. The Ping tour shaft has been the same shaft for many years and has only gone thru paint scheme changes. They worked with UST on this design. I don’t have the details of that negotiation and process as it wasn’t shared with us during my UST visit. But UST used the elements chrome shaft profile to build the Ping tour. 

From what I understand based on y visit to PX is they are givens design characteristics the club company wants and what shaft they want it in. There were some hzrdus yellow shafts that were made for in the early years. That line was popular and they club companies wanted to take advantage of it. 

I just had to, I really didn't want to, I HAD to...😎

TAYLORMADE STEALTH PLUS 9.0 1.jpg

TAYLORMADE STEALTH PLUS 9.0 2.jpg

TAYLORMADE STEALTH PLUS 9.0 3.jpg

TAYLORMADE STEALTH PLUS 9.0 4.jpg

TAYLORMADE STEALTH PLUS 9.0 5.jpg

TAYLORMADE STEALTH PLUS 9.0 6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 460 Driver 9.0D / 7.0D (Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D / 15.0D (Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 7S) 
:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D / 19.0D (Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8S)
:taylormade-small: P790 2019 Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-PW)
:taylormade-small: Milled Grind My Hi-Toe Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115 W) (50D 9.0 / 54D 10.0 / 58D 12.0) / Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Putter* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: Spider GT Notchback Putter(Custom / KBS Fluted Feel) - Superstroke Traxion Pistol GT 1.0 Grip
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Grey) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProXE Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

To my surprise the Taylormade truck was at my golf course yesterday demoing the Stealth even though the course was closed due to freezing temps this week. I asked that someone hit it so I could hear the sound (I wasn't prepared to hit). I asked one one of the guys my age (69) to hit (low 90's speed). It sounded a bit muted to me compared to my TS2, but each strike was bombed and arrow straight! I was impressed and will go hit them at GG soon.

On 1/15/2022 at 2:25 PM, BostonSal said:

One nice thing about the new Stealth driver is that it reminded us old timers of Yonex!

wasnt the Yonex that Daley used a type of thermo plastic. I remember hitting it in 6 degrees

Family, old cars or bikes and GOLF

On 1/20/2022 at 3:33 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Certainly not offended, ast least I'm not.  It's a good discussion, and trust me you are not alone in your thoughts.  

And actually the way you feel about gofl clubs is the way I feel about the Iphone, as I mentioned earlier.  To me there really wasn't a valid reason to buy the 8,9,10,X,XR,11 or 12 (did I miss one 🤔) until I finally relented and just bought a 13.  I mean my calls didn't get connected quicker, that tech is maxed out  🤣    J/K.   But yet I buy a driver (and yes we will for the sake of fun say A driver) each year, one because I love trying new shiny things, and two I love providing feedback to others about them.---so yeah I do it for the people 👏

So I totally get it when I hear thoughts such as yours, I think the companies on the two year cycle that  you mentiooned have done a great job of establishing that cycle pretty much sticking to it and staggering their products in althernating years, althought to be fair this is the 3rd year in a row that Mizuno has released multiple drivers.   

But I think TaylorMade doesn't get enough creidt for reigning in it's release cycle.  The internet is still littered with peole joking that they will wait 6 months and get the stelath when steath 2 comes out in July.  That hasn't been the case for at lest  5 years possibly 6 or 7.  

As we all know it comes down to individual choices, as you said, TM has found there is obviously enough of a demand out there to release every year.  It's up toeach individual golfer to determine if it's within their means to afford it and will they get enough enjoyment out of it.   Maybe they only gain 2 yards, maybe they don't gain any, but maybe they get to show it off at the course or club and be proud of it.   That may be hard for many to understand, but it's probably no different than many other consumer items. 

Good talk, thanks for chiming in on it.

I think that its possible that we are missing some key data. I believe that their tour pros are pushing for more releases; and that drives more into the rest of the market. 

Family, old cars or bikes and GOLF