Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2022 TaylorMade Stealth Irons Official Launch

Golfspy_CG2

TAYLORMADE GOLF COMPANY ANNOUNCES STEALTH™ IRONS WITH NEXT GENERATION CAP BACK™ DESIGN AND INNOVATIVE TOE WRAP CONSTRUCTION

CARLSBAD, Calif. (January 4, 2022) - TaylorMade Golf Company, the industry leader in innovation and technology, today announced the Stealth™ game improvement irons - powered by the all-new Cap Back™ Design with toe wrap construction.

413167 tm22irn ta203 stealth 1172 v1%20%281%29 8eeab7 large 1640811590

Building from the revolutionary Cap Back Design in SIM2 Max and SIM2 Max OS irons – which utilized the concept of a multi-material hollow body construction – Stealth irons are engineered to improve face flexibility and deliver fast ball speeds with a confidence-inspiring shape. 

NEXT GENERATION CAP BACK™ DESIGN WITH TOE WRAP CONSTRUCTION

With SIM2 Max and SIM2 Max OS, TaylorMade engineers created the multi-material Cap Back Design by utilizing the concept of the hollow iron but replacing the steel back with a low density, polymer composite cap. This revolutionary construction improves the face’s ability to flex, delivering ball speed and forgiveness, without compromising the center of gravity (CG). Cap Back Design supports the entire topline from heel to toe with the strong, lightweight polymer material spanning the entire cavity to provide additional rigidity in the upper part of the face.

Working in unison with the flexible Thru-Slot Speed Pocket™, it created a larger unsupported area of the face, translating to a larger and more intelligently positioned sweet spot. 

413171 tm22irn al478 stealth wmn tch 02 opencapglow v2 feccac large 1640812255

TaylorMade engineers not only wanted to continue the momentum of Cap Back Design, but also accelerate it to continue to push the limits of game improvement irons. When the engineers explored designing more performance into a game improvement iron, one thought was at the forefront of their minds: place iron performance where the game improvement golfer needs it the most – lower. 

413172 tm22irn ta203 stealth hero 02 v1 79b9fe original 1640812437

Enter toe wrap construction. The toe wrap is an advanced engineering feat that shifts substantial mass from the extreme high toe of the head and repositions it in the low in the sole of the iron. This redistribution of mass lowers the center of gravity by up to 0.8 millimeters. The result is an increased launch angle producing a towering ball flight, long carry distances and heavy stopping power. 

TIMELESS AND TECHNICAL DESIGN

Stealth irons were designed not only to continue pushing the limits of game improvement irons, but also to contemporize what a game improvement iron looks like. The aesthetic of Stealth drew inspiration from TaylorMade’s P·700 series in hopes to provide the golfer an iron that looks visually appealing in their bag and at address. 

CORNERSTONE TECHNOLOGICAL FEATURES REMAIN

Stealth irons continue to feature core TaylorMade iron technologies that have been engineered to integrate seamlessly within the new-for-2022 designs.

Hidden inside the Cap Back Design, the ECHO® Damping System spans the full face from the heel to the toe and uses multiple contact points on the face to absorb unwanted vibrations, giving the Stealth iron a solid feel as the ball explodes off the club face. Each damper has been uniquely designed for each individual iron, as ribbed structures align with the contact area and Inverted Cone Technology surface featured in each club.

Progressive Inverted Cone Technology is located heel-to-toe in the 4-PW of Stealth irons. The 450 stainless steel face has an intelligently positioned sweet spot that spans the most common impact points, delivering explosive ball speeds and consistency in all the right places. The long irons are designed with slightly more draw-bias than the mid-irons, which in turn have slightly more draw-bias than the short irons. This design element is intended to provide the most accurate ball flight for all levels of golfers.

Stealth Iron Badge.jpg

360 Undercut Technology with stiffening topline ribs in the 4-7 irons promotes face flexibility and ball speed in these core lofts while maintaining desirable sound and feel. Additionally, a fluted hosel design promotes lower and deeper CG placement for improved launch characteristics while providing a clean, confident look at address. Hosel bending notch technology is again incorporated to allow for easier lie and loft fitting, allowing every golfer to easily achieve their ideal custom set-up.  

Stealth Iron Sole.jpg

Stealth Iron Address.jpgSPECIFICATIONS, AVAILABILITY & PRICING  

Available for preorder on January 4, 2022 and at retail beginning April 1, the Stealth irons ($999 steel/$1,099 graphite) will be offered in 4-PW (7 pc. set with AW, SW & LW also available) and come equipped with KBS Max MT 85 steel shafts (S, R) or Fujikura’s Ventus Red graphite shafts (7S, 6R & 5A). For women, the Stealth irons will come equipped with the Aldila Ascent Ladies shaft. Stock grips for men are Lamkin’s Crossline 360 48.5g (Black/Red) and Lamkin Ladies Sonar 38g (Grey/White).

413173 tm22irn ta203 stealth lyd 02 v1 cfb4fb original 1640812542

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I look at them and immediately think "Nike Vapor" due to the badging. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

22 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I look at them and immediately think "Nike Vapor" due to the badging. 

It's funny. Rick Shiels also said "Nike" when he looked at the stealth driver. And similarly, he commented that the concept of a carbon face likely came from the old 2001 callaway driver. And it makes sense, the golf industry is a lot of recycling ideas with better materials and production/r&d capabilities. And the Vapors were very nice, easy to hit clubs.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Looking at these versus the Stealth drivers, all I can think is that Taylormade chickened out and couldn't give us red carbon-faced irons. And because of that, we're all missing out on the hilarious videos of rage-golfers bashing carbon against a tree into a cloud of beautiful red shards after shanking a shot. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Pretty sharp looking.  I haven't been a huge fan of the look of TM GI iron backs for a long time, but this is a nice balance.  You could put it in the bag without it screaming GI from 4 fairways over. 

Though, I fully agree with the comment about the hosel notches.  I also wouldn't appreciate seeing that little bit of the toe wrap at address even if it would be less than what the picture shows.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

5 hours ago, Amrish777 said:

Agree @russtopherb, the resemblance is uncanny. Those hosel notches are another thing i cant look down and see on every shot

Those notches are also on my M3 irons, and I never notice them. YMMV.

Holy strong lofts Batman! A 43° PW?! I'm gonna' need five wedges, maybe more.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

30 minutes ago, Siamese Moose said:

The loft on my T300 PW is 43  after that I have a 48, 54 and 58.   So not five, it works out fine.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

6 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

That’s fairly common for GI irons now. My AP1’s have a 43° PW.

I would love to test and game these! My AP1’s aren’t necessarily due for replacement but I could be persuaded. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

• 4 months later...

Just went in and got fit today for a new set of these beautiful irons. They feel great and had good specs. The one thing I was a little worried about was when I caught it thin, they would go almost 200 yards with 30-40 yards of rollout. I don't think that I've ever had "thin" distances like that with my current irons. We will see how they perform in the real world (5-6 week wait?) I was fit with the Fujikura Blue Stiff shafts @ 1º flat. Very excited to put them in my bag.

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS