Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Calabash NC area! Sandpiper & Diamondhead Golf Courses!

Stuka44

My brother and I try to make a yearly 4 day trip to the area in February staying at Brunswick.  Try to play at least one new course every year.  This year we have two  Sandpiper and Diamondback.  Anyone played them have any thoughts?

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 2:11 PM, stuka44 said:

My brother and I try to make a yearly 4 day trip to the area in February staying at Brunswick.  Try to play at least one new course every year.  This year we have two  Sandpiper and Diamondback.  Anyone played them have any thoughts?

I have played Sandpiper Bay. It has three 9's Sand, Piper, and Bay. I played all three the same day. I assume you are playing the normal men's tee (White). I enjoyed this course and I would suggest you play this course before Diamondback. It is easier than DB. Not that it's an easier course but DB is a hard one. I was looking at playing it in May. Sand is the easiest of the three and Bay has the most water. They all have an abundance of sand traps. Sand has the most at 30 hence it being called Sand, but the other two are not that far behind at around 25. The sand and Piper have three par 3's but they all are around 160 to 178 yards. Bay has two but they are in the 190 range. Any combination of the three your only looking at 6300 yards so its no too long. It's been awhile since I played it but I would play it again. The greens were Bent Greens, the fairways were of the rolling type but the entire course was well groomed. If I remember right the club house was real nice as well. The course rating regardless of the combination would lead you to believe it's not that hard with a 69 rating and 120 slope. Definitely worth playing.   

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 1/21/2022 at 6:12 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have played Sandpiper Bay. It has three 9's Sand, Piper, and Bay

Awesome, thanks for the information.  I'm looking forward to playing both.  Within reason we always try to play something, that we haven't played when we go.  We were going to play Farmstead and its Par 6, but it Closed, so we went with two new instead of playing one twice.  

2 hours ago, stuka44 said:

Awesome, thanks for the information.  I'm looking forward to playing both.  Within reason we always try to play something, that we haven't played when we go.  We were going to play Farmstead and its Par 6, but it Closed, so we went with two new instead of playing one twice.  

I didn't know Farmstead closed? I just looked it up and the owner was celebrating his 90th birthday and decided enough was enough. He owns the Meadowlands Golf course as well but his grandson will run it. The par 6 was neat it crossed state lines. 

39 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I didn't know Farmstead closed?

Yeah it was a cool course.  The only problem we had one time,  I think we played it on Sunday with a group I went with, and One state had cart girls out because you could get alcohol on Sunday, and one didn't, so we could only get a beer, while playing holes in that state.

My advice? Cancel both, and thank me later. If you want to stay in the immediate area, try to book any two of the following.

Thistle, River Hills (across the street from Sandpiper), The Pearl, Crow Creek, Brunswick Plantation, Meadowlands or any of the Cat courses at Ocean Ridge.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

My advice? Cancel both, and thank me later. If you want to stay in the immediate area, try to book any two of the following.

Thistle, River Hills (across the street from Sandpiper), The Pearl, Crow Creek, Brunswick Plantation, Meadowlands or any of the Cat courses at Ocean Ridge.

Did Sandpiper quality go down hill? Granted I played it a long time ago 16 years plus.  I did play Thistle the year before last. Pretty good track but didn't care for the warm up range. It was a little crowded when I went there. Tough to find a parking spot. I did like the tee time spacing. I played Beachwood then as well and it was in terrible shape. Never again on that one. Tee boxes were mostly dirt from being beat to death. 

I go to Myrtle Beach every year and have played Diamondback and Sandpiper many times.  Sandpiper is good, will be easier than Diamondback.  Diamondback is also good and challenging.  Seems to eat my lunch but I enjoy it.  This time of year, I think you will enjoy your selection.

Stay as far away from any Big Cats courses as you can at Ocean Ridge.  Several years ago, would not have said that.  Played there summer before last and the summer before that.  They have gone seriously downhill.  You can Google Big Cats courses and check the reviews on several websites.  Not good.  Shame, Leopards Chase was probably my favorite course in the area.  

Also, if you haven't already, post on www.MyrtleBeachGolfTalk.com.  You can get some very up to date info from the members there. 

Edited by RickK

WITB

Driver - Taylormade M6

3wd - Taylormade RBZ

Hybrids - Taylormade RBZ

Irons - Taylormade RSi1

Putter - Macgregor Smoothie

Thanks for the input.  Looking forward to giving both a go.  And in February we will be leaving the the single digit  temps, or temps in the teens behind us in northeast Ohio, so it will be great regardless.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:33 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Did Sandpiper quality go down hill? Granted I played it a long time ago 16 years plus.  I did play Thistle the year before last. Pretty good track but didn't care for the warm up range. It was a little crowded when I went there. Tough to find a parking spot. I did like the tee time spacing. I played Beachwood then as well and it was in terrible shape. Never again on that one. Tee boxes were mostly dirt from being beat to death. 

I actually confused Sandpiper with the Valley at East port, which is across from River Hills. It’s still a pretty good course. 
Unfortunately there’s a bit of a dividing line between some of the older and newer courses as far as quality..

Beachwood and Azeala Sands are in rough shape. Possum Trot closed a couple years ago, as did Waterway Hills and a few others. It’s sad because those places are like the one @BIG STUplays down by Pawley. They’re family owned, and have a relaxed friendly atmosphere.

One of my buddies came down last fall for the first time in about 5 years. He couldn’t believe all the changes down here. Between the course closings and all the building going on, it’s really different. I’m not sure it’s for the better either.

I miss the old Myrtle Beach, the one people joked was all about golf, steak houses and strip clubs.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:52 PM, stuka44 said:

Yeah it was a cool course.  The only problem we had one time,  I think we played it on Sunday with a group I went with, and One state had cart girls out because you could get alcohol on Sunday, and one didn't, so we could only get a beer, while playing holes in that state.

Yep that was on the NC side where you could not get alcohol on Sunday.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I actually confused Sandpiper with the Valley at East port, which is across from River Hills. It’s still a pretty good course. 
Unfortunately there’s a bit of a dividing line between some of the older and newer courses as far as quality..

Beachwood and Azeala Sands are in rough shape. Possum Trot closed a couple years ago, as did Waterway Hills and a few others. It’s sad because those places are like the one @BIG STUplays down by Pawley. They’re family owned, and have a relaxed friendly atmosphere.

One of my buddies came down last fall for the first time in about 5 years. He couldn’t believe all the changes down here. Between the course closings and all the building going on, it’s really different. I’m not sure it’s for the better either.

I miss the old Myrtle Beach, the one people joked was all about golf, steak houses and strip clubs.

Yep the only old school courses left up there are Beachwood , Eagles Nest and Azeala Sands . I have not played on that end for several years now. My home course Indigo Creek is actually in Murrells Inlet. I for now am pretty much satisified there. I guess especially since my accident darn near 2 years ago now have became a genuine Garden City Murrells Inlet hermit LOL. 

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

What!!!! It's not about golf, steak houses and strip clubs anymore. What's the point then! 🤣 

I'm heading down in the end of May for some quality course time. Staying on the beach in North Myrtle.  I haven't played River Hills yet maybe I'll see if my Brother-in Law wants to play there. He just moved to St. James NC just up the coast. I'll be bouncing back and forth between the two location that week. 

16 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Yep that was on the NC side where you could not get alcohol on Sunday.

I thought you couldn't get alcohol any day of the week on the NC side because they didn't have a place to hang their liquor license for that state? Clubhouse is on the SC side. But then again it's been a while.  

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

What!!!! It's not about golf, steak houses and strip clubs anymore. What's the point then! 🤣 

I'm heading down in the end of May for some quality course time. Staying on the beach in North Myrtle.  I haven't played River Hills yet maybe I'll see if my Brother-in Law wants to play there. He just moved to St. James NC just up the coast. I'll be bouncing back and forth between the two location that week. 

Have you ever played Rivers Edge? It’s up in Shalotte which is about 15-20 minutes north of Calabash on 17. It will give a player like you all you’re looking for from a golf course, and it has some of the nicest views you’ll ever see. Just a great course, and it’s priced reasonably.

The Strand will never recover from the Gold Club buying Crazy Horse which led to it becoming the new Doll House. For many years we did a January trip to Myrtle and played most of those courses. I’d never play any of the Ocean Ridge courses, Brunswick Plantation, nor Brick Landing again. Sandpiper was most enjoyable as was Diamondback but is much more user friendly after months off.

I heard the Glens Group is selling Glen Dornach as well? That sucks. 

Just now, Grand Stranded said:

Have you ever played Rivers Edge? It’s up in Shalotte which is about 15-20 minutes north of Calabash on 17. It will give a player like you all you’re looking for from a golf course, and it has some of the nicest views you’ll ever see. Just a great course, and it’s priced reasonably.

Yes actually. That was a nice course and it was a lot of fun. The 9th hole par 5 was a tough one. You hit to a fairway surrounded by marsh on three sides. Then over the marsh on your second shot to a narrow peninsula. Then 90 degrees out to the point where the green sits. The tee shot isn't to bad but your second and third shot is intimidating. Your standing there looking out into the abyss with this tiny looking green at the point. No bail out.  Marsh left, right and long. There was a shorter par 3 over water that had a  wide skinny green with bulkhead across the front of the green. I don't remember but it was an earlier par 3 in the round 4th or 5th hole maybe. It did have a lot of great views and interesting holes. Good times! I don't remember what I shot but I'll have to look when I get home. 

Thistle was always one of my favorites there, in great shape each time I played River Hills was just so so the last time I played it a couple years ago.  Oyster Bay was a very nice course.

Azelea Sands was a great layout, just never in great shape.

You can always count on the Barefoot courses, except for the Norman one

Driver , Taylormade Sim2 10.5, Hzrds black 6.0

3Wood, Taylormade R15, Hzrds blank 5.5

3Hybrid, Taylormade SLDR, Stock stiff shaft

Irons, 4 - P Callaway Apex 19 stiff tour elevate 

Wedges, 48, 52, 59 Vokey SM 6

Ball, Prov1x

15 minutes ago, Deepred said:

Really? Wow that was a nice course. I played it about two years ago and World Tour right down the road from it. It kind of reminded me of Bethpage. 

"I'm heading down in the end of May for some quality course time. Staying on the beach in North Myrtle.  I haven't played River Hills yet maybe I'll see if my Brother-in Law wants to play there. He just moved to St. James NC just up the coast. I'll be bouncing back and forth between the two location that week. "

If that's St. James Plantation, don't leave the property for any of these other courses.  The Dye course there is really fun.  Used to be my favorite course in the entire area.  The finish is outstanding; from the volcano green 15th on is just really fun.  The Irwin course is very good and the other Tim Cate course is good as well.  Haven't been there since they added the Nicklaus course, but I'd bet that's a solid one too.

1 hour ago, Bridgesb said:

"I'm heading down in the end of May for some quality course time. Staying on the beach in North Myrtle.  I haven't played River Hills yet maybe I'll see if my Brother-in Law wants to play there. He just moved to St. James NC just up the coast. I'll be bouncing back and forth between the two location that week. "

If that's St. James Plantation, don't leave the property for any of these other courses.  The Dye course there is really fun.  Used to be my favorite course in the entire area.  The finish is outstanding; from the volcano green 15th on is just really fun.  The Irwin course is very good and the other Tim Cate course is good as well.  Haven't been there since they added the Nicklaus course, but I'd bet that's a solid one too.

Yup, that's where he moved to. He was going to join one of them but I don't think he did yet. Are they all private or just The Reserve?

3 hours ago, JohnFP said:

Thistle was always one of my favorites there, in great shape each time I played River Hills was just so so the last time I played it a couple years ago.  Oyster Bay was a very nice course.

Azelea Sands was a great layout, just never in great shape.

You can always count on the Barefoot courses, except for the Norman one

I live in Barefoot and I’m a member there, so I appreciate the kind words about it. I’m curious what it is you don’t like about the Norman? The Dye is my favorite here, but I like the Norman as much as the Fazio and Love, maybe a little more?
To me the Norman is a little more straight forward than those two, which I think are a little tricked up? The bunkering on Fazio is a little over the top, and the “ruins” on Love look kind of mini golf to me.

15 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I live in Barefoot and I’m a member there, so I appreciate the kind words about it. I’m curious what it is you don’t like about the Norman? The Dye is my favorite here, but I like the Norman as much as the Fazio and Love, maybe a little more?
To me the Norman is a little more straight forward than those two, which I think are a little tricked up? The bunkering on Fazio is a little over the top, and the “ruins” on Love look kind of mini golf to me.

You know, I can't count the number of times I've been to MB but I have never played a Bearfoot course. Got to work on that!

... Since this starts with Calabash I would be remiss in not demanding you eat there. The shrimp boats unload the fresh catch right into the kitchen of the older restaurants that have been there for 50 years. It just doesn't get any fresher. But don't get fooled by some of the new restaurants that get their catch from Thailand or some other farm raised shrimp/oysters because many tourists just don't know any better. My favorite is Becks, family owned and when I was a lifeguard at Myrtle Beach in the summer of 1971 we went there at least once a week. Nothing fancy, just lightly fried popcorn shrimp and oysters with delightful hushpuppies and still the best I have ever eaten. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

40 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Since this starts with Calabash I would be remiss in not demanding you eat there. The shrimp boats unload the fresh catch right into the kitchen of the older restaurants that have been there for 50 years. It just doesn't get any fresher. But don't get fooled by some of the new restaurants that get their catch from Thailand or some other farm raised shrimp/oysters because many tourists just don't know any better. My favorite is Becks, family owned and when I was a lifeguard at Myrtle Beach in the summer of 1971 we went there at least once a week. Nothing fancy, just lightly fried popcorn shrimp and oysters with delightful hushpuppies and still the best I hav ever eaten. 

13 minutes from the resort I'm staying at in May. Thanks I'll make it a point to eat there.

It's been several years since I have been to MB, went many years with a group of 12 guys. I just lost interest due to the inconsistent and mostly poor conditions. I don't think MB is all the hype it once was. Not trying to be critical, but when I go on a golf trip, I want very good playing conditions.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 3:45 PM, Deepred said:

The Strand will never recover from the Gold Club buying Crazy Horse which led to it becoming the new Doll House. For many years we did a January trip to Myrtle and played most of those courses. I’d never play any of the Ocean Ridge courses, Brunswick Plantation, nor Brick Landing again. Sandpiper was most enjoyable as was Diamondback but is much more user friendly after months off.

I have not played Brunswick in a few years now but liked it when I did. Also liked Sandpiper and Diamondback. My former pro at Indian Wells was pro at Diamondback for a while do not know if he still is. 

The adult entertainment world is sorta on a decline now around here. We have had a lot of "do gooders" move in in recent years and they want those type businesses gone. Me personally I do not care to go in them but I will not dictate what others want to do nor do I care what others do. The Pink Pony in GC closed some 10 years ago now and we do not have any adult type bars south of Myrtle. In fact the old Pink Pony building is now a family type chain Pancake House with high prices and lousy service. I get a lot of laughs sitting across the street eating at my Friends Pancake house watching the families go in thinking wonder if they know how many you know whats have been slung in there. And even though it was practically across the street from my house I have never been in there. 

G

On 1/27/2022 at 8:01 AM, GaDawg said:

It's been several years since I have been to MB, went many years with a group of 12 guys. I just lost interest due to the inconsistent and mostly poor conditions. I don't think MB is all the hype it once was. Not trying to be critical, but when I go on a golf trip, I want very good playing conditions.

Yeah I agree it has lost some of its charm. And some of the large golf groups have done it to themselves acting arrogant and over charging people versus the course conditions. And yes I can agree when one goes on an out of town trip they deserve great conditions especially for the prices some of them charge. One of the reasons I now stick to my home course. Now it is not glitzy nor does it present itself to be but the prices are in line even for visitors. I know in good weather we stay busy in fact we have been slammed with Tourist traffic the last few days. I do not know another course on this beach where one can have a Hot Dog a bag of chips and a beer for $6. I think right now for non members 18 and a cart are $42. One of the visitors marveled today at the cost of the Hot Dog deal. He told me that at one of the upscale courses the same thing cost like $14 which is highway robbery if you ask me. Those guys were from WVA and were happy of the green fees prices too I think at one of the courses down the road they paid like $88 for 18 and a cart and they said that course was not in as good of shape as ours. In fact they wanted to play 18 in the AM but it is blocked off for the shootout so they decided to play it instead. 

G

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for everyone who give me insight on the courses I was playing.  I would have to rate them this way.  Meadowlands  was probably in best condition, Sandpiper Bay, Brunswick, and then Diamondback.  Diamond back was in rough shape compared to the others.

9 hours ago, stuka44 said:

Just an update for everyone who give me insight on the courses I was playing.  I would have to rate them this way.  Meadowlands  was probably in best condition, Sandpiper Bay, Brunswick, and then Diamondback.  Diamond back was in rough shape compared to the others.

How did you play?