TESTERS WANTED! ×

1 hour ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

That is awesome feedback as I like tour wraps, remind me of my baseball days but figured in humid SC months would get slippery. Might be giving them a go this year. 

I am a big guy and sweat like a swamp pig--- One thing I did not mention in the previous post is that in the hot humid weather I wear sweat bands like the tennis players wear on their wrist helps me tremendously. But yeah I keep those grips and hand oil free by cleaning them in dish detergent once a week in hot weather. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

50 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I am a big guy and sweat like a swamp pig--- One thing I did not mention in the previous post is that in the hot humid weather I wear sweat bands like the tennis players wear on their wrist helps me tremendously. But yeah I keep those grips and hand oil free by cleaning them in dish detergent once a week in hot weather. 

I sweat like crazy too and have to use multiple gloves on rotation in the summer in SC too. That’s a good idea with wrist bands, I’ve tried antiperspirant on my wrists but it’s not too effective. Good tip on cleaning the grips, I only do it about once a month but I’m sure it will help if I do it more frequently. I usually play an Mcc or full cord to help with grip but I’m going to get a few tour wrap and test them out again. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

1 hour ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

Good tip on cleaning the grips, I only do it about once a month but I’m sure it will help if I do it more frequently.

... And like STU said, wipe them down before every shot with a wet towel and they stay tacky on the course. Living next to Lake Michigan it was always humid in summer and August was just like SC, but moving to Phoenix the humidity is very low and I never sweat. I don't wear a glove and I am told I still sweat quite a bit in summer here when the temps are 105-115 consistently but the air is so dry the sweat evaporates before I can feel it. I no longer need to wipe my grips as I play but still wash them with dish soap once a week. 

... I am a considerate kinda guy and always pick up my pards wedges after they putt out and am always amazed at how some of them are so hard and slick I have no idea how they can swing them without them flying out of their hands. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... And like STU said, wipe them down before every shot with a wet towel and they stay tacky on the course. Living next to Lake Michigan it was always humid in summer and August was just like SC, but moving to Phoenix the humidity is very low and I never sweat. I don't wear a glove and I am told I still sweat quite a bit in summer here when the temps are 105-115 consistently but the air is so dry the sweat evaporates before I can feel it. I no longer need to wipe my grips as I play but still wash them with dish soap once a week. 

... I am a considerate kinda guy and always pick up my pards wedges after they putt out and am always amazed at how some of them are so hard and slick I have no idea how they can swing them without them flying out of their hands. 

I agree with my buddies. I told my Dad to wash his grips and he was skeptical. He got so much dirt off the towel wasn’t white anymore. He plays 3-4 times a week and hadn’t ever cleaned them in about a year. 

On 1/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, BNewton51 said:

This is an often forgotten topic, but I think one of the more important aspects of any golf club.  

What's your go to Golf Grip and Why?

I'm a 100% sold on the Golf Price MMC +4 Midsized grip.  Various colors are available, but I typically go with the all grey.  I find those grips allow for ease of use whether I'm gripping down to hit chips or 3/4 shots, or on the full shots.  I also find with the weather that if they do get wet or during the cold they provide me with the best grip on the clubs.  I used to be a long time cord player, but replacing those things two to three times a year was such a hassle and frankly I don't think they ever really provided me with the feel that I get out of these new ones.  

So with that said, what are you gaming for 2022 and why?  Or do grips really not factor into your game that much.  Interesting topic I'd love to hear everyones input on. 

Using Cure CX3 putter

4 hours ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I agree with my buddies. I told my Dad to wash his grips and he was skeptical. He got so much dirt off the towel wasn’t white anymore. He plays 3-4 times a week and hadn’t ever cleaned them in about a year. 

I’m not sure anyone besides me in my playing group cleans their grips. Maybe once a season if at all. It would drive me nuts. 

16 minutes ago, John Bachman said:

I’m not sure anyone besides me in my playing group cleans their grips. Maybe once a season if at all. It would drive me nuts. 

Exactly it would drive me nuts and in the hot humid summer if I had a slip and I wasn’t cleaning my clubs I’d be upset for making a preventable mistake 

Iomic 2.3 sticky ribbed. Regular or non- ribbed for 56’ & 60’ wedges. These grips are great. They stay tacky , don’t shred your hands and you don’t have to replace them for quite some time as long as you wipe them down every now and then. They offer several colors, a 1.8 for those with smaller hands as well as some mid size offerings. I’ve tried a lot of grips but keep coming back to Iomic. They don’t disappoint. 

On 2/20/2022 at 5:58 PM, chisag said:

... In case you don't do this I thought I would mention scrubbing them once a week (or more) with dish soap doesn't let the oils from your hand soak into the grip so they never get hard and shiny. 

I do clean my grips fairly regularly with hot soapy water and a scrub brush but maybe I need to do it a little more often.  I rarely see any dirt on my towel when wiping but will certainly try more frequently and see if it helps. Thanks

1 minute ago, JY56 said:

I do clean my grips fairly regularly with hot soapy water and a scrub brush but maybe I need to do it a little more often.  I rarely see any dirt on my towel when wiping but will certainly try more frequently and see if it helps. Thanks

... Yup, I rarely saw any first on my towel either. But even after just one week when I clean my grips, the water rinsed off my grips is a dark gray. I am always amazed at how quickly they get so grimy. I also don't wear a glove so mine are probably twice as dirty. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 3 weeks later...

I have Lamkin REL's on all my clubs except putter, they are starting to get slick after 3 years. and I have a Winn X 1.32 putter girp which i love..  I clean them all regularly with westley's bleche wite. have done so for years. Just spray on a towel or rag wipe the grips 3-4 times and let dry. Works like magic.. It makes so-so grips playable.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 2:50 PM, silver & black said:

I use Pure Grips. They stay tacky and they last a long time. I'm going on 4 years with the set I have now, And I see no reason to change them out...... unless I just want new grips.😁

I was looking at their jumbo grips on grips for less and they're $17/each!!! 😭. I currently play Winn DriTac midsize but I get a lot of hand fatigue trying to hold on to such a small grip. I've had them for about 6 months and I can't ever seem to grip the club in a way that feels comfortable. I didn't think my hands are exceptionally large but the only grips that allow me to grip the club properly with little tension are oversized. I hope it's not early arthritis which my mom suffered from. I'm only 37!😭

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS with Autoflex X-stiff 

3-Wood: :ping-small: 425 Max w/ KBS TD 60

Irons: :taylormade-small:P790 w/ X-stiff True Temper DG 105

Hybrids::taylormade-small: DHY Utility Irons 4 & 5

Wedges::taylormade-small: MG3 w/ KBS Black Wedge Shaft (50, 54,58)

Putter: Cure RX5 w/ P2 React Grip

7 minutes ago, jfull1914 said:

I was looking at their jumbo grips on grips for less and they're $17/each!!! 😭. I currently play Winn DriTac midsize but I get a lot of hand fatigue trying to hold on to such a small grip. I've had them for about 6 months and I can't ever seem to grip the club in a way that feels comfortable. I didn't think my hands are exceptionally large but the only grips that allow me to grip the club properly with little tension are oversized. I hope it's not early arthritis which my mom suffered from. I'm only 37!😭

Jumbo grips are definitely expensive, not sure if anyone offers any that are "affordable".  Iomic also makes a really nice grip, not the same as Pure but somewhat similar.  They are only $16 but may be out of stock...

2 hours ago, jfull1914 said:

That does sound pricey for grips. But... if they will last you 4 - 5 years, is it really that much?

Edited by silver & black

On 1/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, BNewton51 said:

This is an often forgotten topic, but I think one of the more important aspects of any golf club.  

What's your go to Golf Grip and Why?

I'm a 100% sold on the Golf Price MMC +4 Midsized grip.  Various colors are available, but I typically go with the all grey.  I find those grips allow for ease of use whether I'm gripping down to hit chips or 3/4 shots, or on the full shots.  I also find with the weather that if they do get wet or during the cold they provide me with the best grip on the clubs.  I used to be a long time cord player, but replacing those things two to three times a year was such a hassle and frankly I don't think they ever really provided me with the feel that I get out of these new ones.  

So with that said, what are you gaming for 2022 and why?  Or do grips really not factor into your game that much.  Interesting topic I'd love to hear everyones input on. 

I’m pretty much with you on this.  I’m guessing 2+ years ago the GM at local golf shop suggested the standard MMC +4  to me.  I haven’t had to regrip yet.  
I needed something that would work in the FL summers and humidity, these do.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 3/23/2022 at 6:08 PM, silver & black said:

That does sound pricey for grips. But... if they will last you 4 - 5 years, is it really that much?

If my clubs last un the bag 4-5 years it is a miracle in it of itself haha. 

Lamkin Sonar+ w/4 wraps. Fantastic grip!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

On 3/15/2022 at 3:02 PM, Reesedw said:

I have Lamkin REL's on all my clubs except putter, they are starting to get slick after 3 years. and I have a Winn X 1.32 putter girp which i love..  I clean them all regularly with westley's bleche wite. have done so for years. Just spray on a towel or rag wipe the grips 3-4 times and let dry. Works like magic.. It makes so-so grips playable.. 

I use Westleys on some of the vintage clubs I find especially those with slick old Victory grips. Now I did find on the Tour Wraps I use for some reason Westleys will clean them but it makes them lose their tack. Also on older Victory grips I will take a razor knife and shave them some exposing new rubber and like racing tires in most cases it will give them some new tack. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The last fews years I've played GP Tour Wraps.  Lower end of price point, tacky with a quick swipe of a moist towel, and easy on my hands.  A couple months ago I put on some GP Tour Velvets and can't wait to pull them off and just eat the cost.  Not that they are bad grips, just not the grip for me. Back to the Tour Wraps. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

• 1 month later...

I "blow on" my grips with air so if I wear out a grip I can change it in 5 minutes.  Seems to work like a champ.  Anyone else?

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 2:42 PM, ChitownM2 said:

Jumbo grips are definitely expensive, not sure if anyone offers any that are "affordable".  Iomic also makes a really nice grip, not the same as Pure but somewhat similar.  They are only $16 but may be out of stock...

I play Lamkin Crossline Oversize for years. PGA SuperStore has them for $6.59 a grip. They wear well, and just clean with warm water, and dishsoap. Wipe dry, no rinse. Good to go..Tacki-Mac has similar grip online, possibly cheaper. They offer sets for 13 clubs...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

For my woods and hybrids I’m just using golf pride Tour velvet. For irons I’m using MCC plus4, and for wedges it’s Lamkin Crosslines. When it comes to grips, I don’t really find too be a difference among those. My last set of irons I switched from Tour Velvets to Crosslines and I noticed a difference—that new grips are better than old grips.

Seriously, if you asked what I’ll use next time, I’d probably either say Tour Velvet plus4 or a Crosslines version of it. I’m not really feeling the added value of MCCs, probably because of the weather I play in.

However, the big change for me has been switching putters and grips from a Winn DriTac Jumbo to a Superstroke 1.0 claw. The jury’s still out, while I appreciate the non-taper aspect of SS, I miss the bulk of my old grip. It’s just more comfortable in the palm of my lead hand.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

I play without a glove too and currently have a mix of MCC and tour velvets. I always played the TV or crosslines, but I’m thinking of going back to something tackier like the 2G tour wrap. Reading through this I saw the Star Grip tour wrap.

I like that they are made in the US. Has anyone used them that can compare?

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

• 2 weeks later...

I regrip clubs everyday at work and it amazes me how often they change or how long people go without getting new grips.

I play the Golf Pride CP2 pros in midsize on my own iron set. Changed from the MCC +4. I put the new GP CPX on my wedges recently to see how those workout. So far so good. I have the Tour Snsr contour pro grip on my putter, love that grip.

Edited by RoyN

:ping-small:G430 Max 10k 9°

:cleveland-small:3+ Hy-wood 17°

:cleveland-small:4+ Hy-wood 20°

:ping-small:4 Hybrid 22°

:srixon-small:Zx5 mkII 5i-P

:cleveland-small:CBX 48°, CBX FF 53° & 58°

:cleveland-small:Frontline Elevado 

:srixon-small:Z-Star

On 5/15/2022 at 1:39 PM, AndySP said:

I play without a glove too and currently have a mix of MCC and tour velvets. I always played the TV or crosslines, but I’m thinking of going back to something tackier like the 2G tour wrap. Reading through this I saw the Star Grip tour wrap.

I like that they are made in the US. Has anyone used them that can compare?

I use Star Grip’s Tour Star+ standard size.  They’re tacky enough for me, but I do use a glove.  Clean them every so often and they stay tacky.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

• 3 weeks later...

I use lamkin sonar.  Felt the best in my hands.  Standard size (which as a petite woman, is a little larger, which is great as I’ve had arthritis in my hands since I was a child).  

my cobra h5 has a winn grip, when it wears out, I’ll go to the lamkin sonar standard.  

Here to learn the game and join others who enjoy ruining a good walk.

On 4/27/2022 at 6:00 PM, warbirdlover said:

I "blow on" my grips with air so if I wear out a grip I can change it in 5 minutes.  Seems to work like a champ.  Anyone else?

Oh yes and I experiment with classic clubs quite a bit so I use air on a grip to try one. If not I could not afford grips for all the stuff I mess with

Right now on the Muirfields I am lucky they have pristine GP Victory Cords. Most of my other clubs I have Tour Wraps on. Also one of my other things is along with clubs I used to salvage good grips especially Tour Wraps from clubs when I drove a truck for a metal recycler. TWs and Tour Velvets are easy to salvage using a tool I made along with a little charcoal lighter fluid and air.

LOL some may see the irony in this. Most Cally Tour Velvet factory grips are easy to pull with just air. Evidently they use air install at the factory. I recently went back and pulled a 80s model Hogan Special SW I played years ago. The old Victory was rotted. I cut it off on a whim grabbed a Cally TV pull off out of the box to try. The old thing hit good and felt good as it was so I left it alone. One of my Shootout partners who has located here from Great Britian remarked "how ironic a Cally Apex grip on a real Hogan Apex Wedge"

Edited by BIG STU

G