Jump to content

Anyone have info on the Edison wedges?


Eat My Divots
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just heard about this small company and their wedges look intriguing. Forged, yet allegedly designed to minimize the variance of smash factor between center and off-center strikes, something that sounds appealing to an amateur like myself. I'd been considering getting a lob wedge anyway since I've never owned one and have room in my bag for one, so I thought I might give this one a try. If I really like it, I would probably consider replacing my sand wedge also since that's the club I struggle the most with for consistency.

https://edisonwedges.com/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Eat My Divots said:

I just heard about this small company and their wedges look intriguing. Forged, yet allegedly designed to minimize the variance of smash factor between center and off-center strikes, something that sounds appealing to an amateur like myself. I'd been considering getting a lob wedge anyway since I've never owned one and have room in my bag for one, so I thought I might give this one a try. If I really like it, I would probably consider replacing my sand wedge also since that's the club I struggle the most with for consistency.

https://edisonwedges.com/

Use the search feature on the forum to search for Edison.  There are a few threads where people discuss their performance. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Use the search feature on the forum to search for Edison.  There are a few threads where people discuss their performance. 

OK, I did try a search before making this post, but didn't see anything come up. I'll look again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Eat My Divots said:

OK, I did try a search before making this post, but didn't see anything come up. I'll look again.

 

  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Eat My Divots said:

I just heard about this small company and their wedges look intriguing. Forged, yet allegedly designed to minimize the variance of smash factor between center and off-center strikes, something that sounds appealing to an amateur like myself. I'd been considering getting a lob wedge anyway since I've never owned one and have room in my bag for one, so I thought I might give this one a try. If I really like it, I would probably consider replacing my sand wedge also since that's the club I struggle the most with for consistency.

https://edisonwedges.com/

Feel free to message me with any questions. I have been a fan of Terry's work for years and through using the Edison wedges and talking with him about them I ended up joining forces with Edison. Pretty much any review you see out there whether it's TXG, Mod Golf Podcast, Plugged In Golf, etc was something I set up. Pretty cool that all the independent reviewers can confirm our claims of increased spin and forgiveness. One of the discussions linked above is my journey with the wedges.

  • Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2017 CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
4 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 22° Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged 5-9, JPX 921 Tour PW Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout Edition
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: Maxfli TourX (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

GPS: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch (Thanks MGS!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've played the Edison wedges for the last nine or ten months.  I purchased three:  50, 55 and 60 degree wedges, 2 degrees up with the KBS Tour 80 A flex shafts.  After a broken neck, a new knee and two shoulder surgeries (as well as turning 65), I've had to rely on my wedge game and putting to score.  Overall, I can safely say that the Edison wedges have more than exceeded my expectations.  They are as advertised.  The flight is lower and a bit longer than my previous Ping Glide wedges and I can certainly generate more spin than my previous wedges (which in the past was not my strong suit). 

With an index of 10.4 and greens in regulation about 15%, you can imagine how much I rely on my wedge play.  Since getting my Edison wedges, my index has dropped about 0.5 to 1, my putts per round have dropped about 2 putts (hitting it closer) and frequency of up and downs improved.  That being said, I must admit I am still a work in progress with the 60 degree wedge.  I'm hitting it more often with tight pin placements with varying degrees of success.  The gap and sand wedges have been a great addition to my bag and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Overall, I think the investment in the Edison wedges has been well worth it.

  • Like 2
Ping G400 SFT with a Matrix MFS 5 Korean Prototype Senior shaft, 12 degrees
Callaway Epic Flash 15 degree 3 wood, with a stock Project X Evenflow 45 grams senior shaft.  
Calloway Epic GBB Epic 20 degree Heaven Wood, with a stock Diamana 40 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G hybrid 5 (26 degrees) with stock Alta 70 gram senior shafts.
Ping G30 irons 6-W, Yellow dot with graphite Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shafts
Edison wedges:  50 degrees, 55 degrees and 60 degrees, 2 degrees up with KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  New Evnroll ER10 Outback
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've generally liked Koehler's designs like the Edison wedges. I don't have the Edison wedges but I have the Scor wedges which appear to follow a similar philosophy. I love my Scor wedges except for the 42*. I could never get that wedge to work for me. I don't know if the CG was out of place due to the long hosel pulling it too far inside and or up but I could rarely ever getting a solid feeling shot with that wedge. The 47* and 51* I have though are absolutely fantastic and definitely the most accurate wedges I've ever used for swings square to the target line. If I ever get a new iron set and need some gap wedges, Edison wedges will be very high on the list for consideration. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2022 at 9:03 PM, Josh Ross said:

Feel free to message me with any questions. I have been a fan of Terry's work for years and through using the Edison wedges and talking with him about them I ended up joining forces with Edison. Pretty much any review you see out there whether it's TXG, Mod Golf Podcast, Plugged In Golf, etc was something I set up. Pretty cool that all the independent reviewers can confirm our claims of increased spin and forgiveness. One of the discussions linked above is my journey with the wedges.

Have you held up the Scor and Edison wedges side by side? Are they about the same or totally different?

From what I've seen and read they seem to follow the same philosophy but wasn't sure if much has changed with some years between the two designs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kansas King said:

Have you held up the Scor and Edison wedges side by side? Are they about the same or totally different?

From what I've seen and read they seem to follow the same philosophy but wasn't sure if much has changed with some years between the two designs. 

The design is way different in terms of weighting and their is a slightly different milling on the face. I can get you some side by side pics if interested. The Koehler Sole is basically the same, but that added weight at the top of the club face is where the magic happens.

  • Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2017 CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
4 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 22° Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged 5-9, JPX 921 Tour PW Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout Edition
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: Maxfli TourX (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

GPS: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch (Thanks MGS!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/6/2022 at 5:05 PM, Golf2Much said:

I've played the Edison wedges for the last nine or ten months.  I purchased three:  50, 55 and 60 degree wedges, 2 degrees up with the KBS Tour 80 A flex shafts.  After a broken neck, a new knee and two shoulder surgeries (as well as turning 65), I've had to rely on my wedge game and putting to score.  Overall, I can safely say that the Edison wedges have more than exceeded my expectations.  They are as advertised.  The flight is lower and a bit longer than my previous Ping Glide wedges and I can certainly generate more spin than my previous wedges (which in the past was not my strong suit). 

With an index of 10.4 and greens in regulation about 15%, you can imagine how much I rely on my wedge play.  Since getting my Edison wedges, my index has dropped about 0.5 to 1, my putts per round have dropped about 2 putts (hitting it closer) and frequency of up and downs improved.  That being said, I must admit I am still a work in progress with the 60 degree wedge.  I'm hitting it more often with tight pin placements with varying degrees of success.  The gap and sand wedges have been a great addition to my bag and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Overall, I think the investment in the Edison wedges has been well worth it.

That's good to hear! I just ordered one today, a 59 degree, also 2 degrees upright, 1-1/4" longer and with stiff shaft. I've had a useless 1 iron taking up space in my bag so I figured I could definitely get more use out of a lob wedge. I'll report back with my thoughts after I've had some time to put into action.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kansas King said:

I've generally liked Koehler's designs like the Edison wedges. I don't have the Edison wedges but I have the Scor wedges which appear to follow a similar philosophy. I love my Scor wedges except for the 42*. I could never get that wedge to work for me. I don't know if the CG was out of place due to the long hosel pulling it too far inside and or up but I could rarely ever getting a solid feeling shot with that wedge. The 47* and 51* I have though are absolutely fantastic and definitely the most accurate wedges I've ever used for swings square to the target line. If I ever get a new iron set and need some gap wedges, Edison wedges will be very high on the list for consideration. 

The SCOR wedges are not all the same.  The SCOR wedges had 7 different weight distributions from 41º to 61º to optimize trajectory.  It may be that your 42º just doesn't fit what you want to do with it.  I love my 42º and still use it occasionally when I bag 42, 46, 50, 54, and 58.  A little worn, but I hate to get ride of them.  I bought the Edison 49º and played it along side the SCOR 50º and honestly couldn't tell much difference.  

  • Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

The SCOR wedges are not all the same.  The SCOR wedges had 7 different weight distributions from 41º to 61º to optimize trajectory.  It may be that your 42º just doesn't fit what you want to do with it.  I love my 42º and still use it occasionally when I bag 42, 46, 50, 54, and 58.  A little worn, but I hate to get ride of them.  I bought the Edison 49º and played it along side the SCOR 50º and honestly couldn't tell much difference.  

I'm glad to hear the Edison plays about the same as the Scor wedge. My Scor wedges are still in okay shape as I only used them for about one season but I may be considering putting the 47 and 51 back in the bag this year. 

If you're ever in desperate need for used but playable 42*, hit me up.

Edited by Kansas King
Added last sentence
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Josh Ross said:

The design is way different in terms of weighting and their is a slightly different milling on the face. I can get you some side by side pics if interested. The Koehler Sole is basically the same, but that added weight at the top of the club face is where the magic happens.

Thanks for the info! It sounds like the concept is still the same but with some refinements. I may have to try one out later this year to see how they play.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I realize this thread has been dormant for a while - 

 

But like our Florida grasses that are starting to grow I thought that I'd pop in on it rather than one a started nearly a year ago when I first purchased my Edison wedges.  I had a meh wedge day on Friday and that along with a PM about the Edison's made me want to throw them in the bag and give them another try.  So I went to the range with wedges only and hit balls with them followed by a visit to the practice green complete with bunker.  I subbed them in yesterday.  A couple of quick observations.

 

I ordered them a 1/2" longer than standard because that's generally what I play in my irons - a bit longer shaft, a bit flatter lie - I'm very comfortable with that fit for my swing.  They seem longer than that frankly but I just am gripping them down a bit.  I miss the SCOR/Hogan grips with the dots but have a mark on these grips that accomplishes the same thing.  I hit them much better on the range than I remembered from a year ago.  I've also had a couple of lessons since then and my teacher strengthened my grip. I think that helps me to flight them down a bit with a nice amount of spin.  I only had two full wedge shots on the course yesterday, one with each - I was past pin high with both and they stopped nicely on very firm greens even with relatively low ball flight - I was very happy there.

 

I will need to get used to chipping either with the 53 bent to 54 or the Gap Wedge from my D7 forged clubs - I've always found those faces a bit too hot to chip with but great for bump and run shots.  My greens are really firm and slick right now so the additional loft didn't bother me practicing or the couple of times that I hit chips yesterday.  I don't know what it will be like come summer when things are wet.  

 

It might just be me but I find this iteration of the V sole to have more bounce that in the SCORS, that's not necessarily bad and it may not be true, it may just be what my eyes see.

 

I was very good with the 59 out of the sand at the practice green - for me very good is getting it on the green inside of a nearly certain 2 putt distance - I am not a great sand player, never have been.  I hit about a dozen out of the sand and all were out of the trip, 11 were well within 2 putt range and even the one that was outside of it - 30 feet or so, was still very manageable.

 

If these are in I'm going with 5 degree gaps between my GW, 54, 59.  That's probably better for me than 4 degree gaps.  I'm not all that long and this gives me a nice 12 yard progression - that's what it was on the full shots yesterday and also on my personal LM on the range.  99, 88, 76 yard average with each wedge - I'm averaging 112 with PW right now so I'm in good shape there.  

 

This allows me to add an extra club in the top end or middle of my bag.  I put 5 iron in yesterday - obviously its a duplicate of the 9 wood distance wise but I launch it much lower which is helpful for shots into the wind.  I hit two 9 woods yesterday because I needed to go over trees or at least limbs each time I needed 170 yard shot.  I'm also considering a 3 HL but need to find a way to demo one - I'm not spending $300 on a club whose fit is uncertain for me at this time.

 

Based on the observations above the Edisons are going to get a lengthy trial period.

  • Like 3

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi there.

I have been a big fan of Terry Kohler's wedges since his SCOR days, then followed him and bought wedges when he was at Ben Hogan, and now again at Edison. I am currently gaming 2 of the 3 I bought (switched out one in favor of a chipper, which I am currently testing).

Long story short, I really like the wedges. As good a feel as others; look great at address; versatile. Enough options to customize (grip and shaft) and customer service has been terrific to help you decide what setup is right for you. I would seriously consider, especially since they have a money back guarantee.

I don't think I can say they have met claims or not, but I am not considering any other wedges at the moment despite Most Wanted testing 😉

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still waffling on pulling the trigger to order a 51, 55, 59 set.  Leaning, but not quite tipping the scales yet.

  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at N) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*)-- Mitishibishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 19* and 24* -- Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R +1/2 inch 3* up

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 52*, 56* and 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX  

:Arccos:

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got an email from Edison saying through April 30th you can get $10 off each wedge ordered with the code YOURSET at checkout.  

Ping G400 SFT with a Matrix MFS 5 Korean Prototype Senior shaft, 12 degrees
Callaway Epic Flash 15 degree 3 wood, with a stock Project X Evenflow 45 grams senior shaft.  
Calloway Epic GBB Epic 20 degree Heaven Wood, with a stock Diamana 40 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G hybrid 5 (26 degrees) with stock Alta 70 gram senior shafts.
Ping G30 irons 6-W, Yellow dot with graphite Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shafts
Edison wedges:  50 degrees, 55 degrees and 60 degrees, 2 degrees up with KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  New Evnroll ER10 Outback
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say that I hit these pretty well yesterday - they are climbing up the ladder rather quickly - I played a shot with the 54 that I haven't hit in years - a nice one hop and stop shot from 40 yards short of the green, hit it the fringe about 5 feet short of the green, took a hop onto the green and trickled about 5 feet past a front pin. My playing partner, who plays with me a lot, asked if I did that on purpose, which I did and where it came from - I told him the archives - I used to play that shot all the time with my Ping Eye 2 wedges, I haven't even been practicing it but when I got to my ball, saw the lie and the topography in front of me I knew it was the right fit, so I gave it a whirl. 🙂

 

The guy whom I was playing with asked me if I could teach it to him - he's a 23, I'm thinking not.  To make him feel good I did tell him if he'd be willing to always use a urethane ball I'd show him the technique.  🙂

  • Like 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since I'm older than Dirt!! Have been looking at Edison Wedges in 52o, 56o & 60o. Have to sharpen Short Game if I wish to play with Big Boy's!!

 I really do not like paying out!! 

& ain't telling them to check out Edison. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ordered a 54 degree Edison wedge last Monday. It should be arriving today or tomorrow. I am intrigued by the company's promise that this wedge will work both in tight lies AND in sand PLUS be more accurate with off centre strikes than other wedges. I will be testing it vigorously as soon as it arrives, and will post again in about a week.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...