DLow's Club Champion Putter Fitting

dlow206

Thanks for posting;  I enjoy reading information about peoples putter fitting.  Sounds like you had a knowledgeable fitter that didn't just quote the SAM results and actually interpreted what was going on.  

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Thanks for posting;  I enjoy reading information about peoples putter fitting.  Sounds like you had a knowledgeable fitter that didn't just quote the SAM results and actually interpreted what was going on.  

Yeah, the fitter i got was very knowledgeable. Only 6 months at Club Champion, but before that ran a True Spec location. He's also a PGA professional which was cool (used to be an assistant pro at Medalist). 

• Like 5

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

So even with your gamer being pretty optimal, I'm still betting heavily that you have looked for a deal on that Queen B 11 and already queued it up in a shopping cart at least 3 times. Parlayed that bet with another that you will end up with one before April 1st. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

1 minute ago, Thin2win said:

So even with your gamer being pretty optimal, I'm still betting heavily that you have looked for a deal on that Queen B 11 and already queued it up in a shopping cart at least 3 times. Parlayed that bet with another that you will end up with one before April 1st. 

something like that but worse...

• Haha 5

Updated 11/13/2021

Great detail from the fitting. Sounds like the fitter had a great way of communicating the data to you. Good to know you were already pretty close to the setup you needed with your current gamer. Hope it all comes together with the flatstick!

• Like 4

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

9 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Yeah, the fitter i got was very knowledgeable. Only 6 months at Club Champion, but before that ran a True Spec location. He's also a PGA professional which was cool (used to be an assistant pro at Medalist). 

It seems like he was able to relate his info to you in a great way as well.....like he recognized & respected your base knowledge and got to the level of data that is meaningful to you. 

I love data like this and have never done a putter fitting but after passing one of their locations while Christmas shopping a few weeks ago.....and wondering what I'd spend some Christmas money on.....hmmmmmm.     😎

• Like 3

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing it all.

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

Well done & detailed.

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Love it @dlow206!  Putter fittings can be eye opening, glad to see that your fitter went beyond the numbers and recommended output to really examine your stroke.

also an honorary member of the short and flat putter club. 🤣  32.5 and 67* (3 flat on most from stock).  

So when’s the Bettinardi coming in? 😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Love it @dlow206!  Putter fittings can be eye opening, glad to see that your fitter went beyond the numbers and recommended output to really examine your stroke.

also an honorary member of the short and flat putter club. 🤣  32.5 and 67* (3 flat on most from stock).  

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bettinardi is in the “cart”👍

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

The only bad thing about your putting fitting is it makes me want to schedule one so I can go play and experiment with graphite putter shafts.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

I'm pondering a couple of different Bettinardi models lol. Queen B 10 and Queen B 11. Functionally they are the same putter (same weight, same offset, same neck, practically the same shape) just some minor difference in shape and aesthetics. I'm also a sucker for the hive Bettinardis, so that is not helping me in my indecisiveness.

The new Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K are also calling my name, lol.

Overall, do I need a new putter, no. Do I want a new putter, yes. Getting rid of most the other putters laying around the house, so need a gamer and a backup. 

• Like 3

Updated 11/13/2021

9 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I'm pondering a couple of different Bettinardi models lol. Queen B 10 and Queen B 11. Functionally they are the same putter (same weight, same offset, same neck, practically the same shape) just some minor difference in shape and aesthetics. I'm also a sucker for the hive Bettinardis, so that is not helping me in my indecisiveness.

The new Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K are also calling my name, lol.

Overall, do I need a new putter, no. Do I want a new putter, yes. Getting rid of most the other putters laying around the house, so need a gamer and a backup. 

Those 5k’s do look like something I’ll need to give a putt or two. One of those white hot inserts could pair nicely with a firmer ball like the left dash. 

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

Nice writeup Derrick!  If Monte said that you have a lot of movement in your lower body when putting, did you inquire about that with the fitter, and could that be a factor in your strong arc?  If you can quiet the lower body, the face-balanced putter may end up being the best option.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It was also good to hear from the fitter a validation of my thought that my putter is too long for me, even at 31". I have always adapter to putters by standing far away from the ball and made due, even with the 31" putter. 

To give an example, if you look at this pic below of Tiger Woods (no, im not trying to compare myself to Tiger Woods) and his setup. With that type of posture that he has at setup, if I were to use a 32" putter for example, the butt of the putter physically hits my belly button lol. 

image.png.d4bac426ba4eaaf1d708b22492b41cd1.png

• Like 4

Updated 11/13/2021

3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Nice writeup Derrick!  If Monte said that you have a lot of movement in your lower body when putting, did you inquire about that with the fitter, and could that be a factor in your strong arc?  If you can quiet the lower body, the face-balanced putter may end up being the best option.

I've been doing a lot of at home practice putting after that lesson with Monte and really working on keeping the lower body quiet. When keeping the lower body quiet, my arc has actually increased from what it was before.

What thing i have noticed, and it partly goes back to the comments about lengths of putters, if I use a shorter putter than my 31", then I am able to stand closer to the ball (more of eyes over the ball or at least less inside), then my hips actually stabilize themselves better, and the arc of my stroke is less drastic, but still has an arc. 

• Like 5

Updated 11/13/2021

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I've been doing a lot of at home practice putting after that lesson with Monte and really working on keeping the lower body quiet. When keeping the lower body quiet, my arc has actually increased from what it was before.

What thing i have noticed, and it partly goes back to the comments about lengths of putters, if I use a shorter putter than my 31", then I am able to stand closer to the ball (more of eyes over the ball or at least less inside), then my hips actually stabilize themselves better, and the arc of my stroke is less drastic, but still has an arc. 

I used to have a 31" putter.  When I was fitted at Ping, I was fitted into a 34" counterbalanced putter with a 71º lie angle.  My eyes are directly over the ball... at least they are when I putt well.  I still grip like it's a 31" putter with most of the grip above my hands.  As you mentioned, the butt of the club doesn't touch, but comes very close to my belly.  It's a problem when the weather is cold because of the extra clothes; the butt can get caught in the fabric.  My solution... reduce my belly!  😂

I love my putter, and I have no desire to even look at new putters.  Haven't picked one up in the stores in 5 years.  It's getting a new grip this spring; in and out of the bag has taken a toll on the butt of the grip.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for the write up and the info. I myself have been tossing about the idea of a fitter for my putter and your post puts me one step closer to giving it a go.  It sure has me thinking.

Thanks..

CHris

• Like 2

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  10*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 3W, 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   e12 Soft

I too went through a CC putter fitting few years ago.   Was told I should be playing a Blade putter over my current Mallet based on my stroke, angle, etc.  I havent changed over (yet) because I spent some money years ago customizing my Scotty which I do like but the problem now is every time I miss a putt I start playing mind games with myself thinking I should change over to the a Blade style putter.  I would tell anyone out there, if you go through this putter fitting process wherever you go, be warned.....lol.  I recently tried some Bettinardi putters and have already fallen in love with many of them for the feel over Scotty.   This is terrible.....  Has anyone here gone through a CC putter fitting or any other fitting, changed over to a different style putter than what you've played because of it and has it made a drastic improvement in your putting?  I'm curious.

Edited by in4par
  • Like 3