Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Why Do Scotty Camerons Do (So) Poorly in MGS Most Wanted?

Middler

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

That is fair, of all the scotty stuff, I like the futura stuff the best. The rest is just a more expensive version of the same putter everyone else is making. 

Cheaper than the crap Toulon has on the market. Toulon went to crap once they sold to Callaway and switched materials.

Most of the odyssey putters aren’t worth the $200ish they are going for

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Cheaper than the crap Toulon has on the market. Toulon went to crap once they sold to Callaway and switched materials.

Most of the odyssey putters aren’t worth the $200ish they are going for

Hard to bash odyssey much. they out sell the rest of the putter world combined. I have almost zero experience with Toulon. I think they look nice. the few I have rolled felt good to me But I cant say they are worth the money either.. The garage stuff looks good but $600 for a putter.. Eh.... tough to swallow.   But then again. I think the average putter cost is like $300 now.. 

Mizuno's seem like the best value in a milled putters. They at least include weights for free. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

14 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Hard to bash odyssey much. they out sell the rest of the putter world combined. I have almost zero experience with Toulon. I think they look nice. the few I have rolled felt good to me But I cant say they are worth the money either.. The garage stuff looks good but $600 for a putter.. Eh.... tough to swallow.   But then again. I think the average putter cost is like $300 now.. 

Mizuno's seem like the best value in a milled putters. They at least include weights for free. 

I abhor odyssey's inserts and putt the best with Scotty. One man's trash is another man's treasure is real applicable in the golf equipment industry. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

5 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I abhor odyssey's inserts and putt the best with Scotty. One man's trash is another man's treasure is real applicable in the golf equipment industry. 

I am not an insert guy either.. Although, I kinda dig the new taylormade spider putters. They are a bit different but I like their take on the 7 shape. 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

Odyssey and Scotty go back and forth on overall sales. Odyssey is also more of a budget friendly putter and they have a hype machine that is Callaway marketing.

Cleveland putters imo are superior to odyssey but they don’t market them at all.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Odyssey and Scotty go back and forth on overall sales. Odyssey is also more of a budget friendly putter and they have a hype machine that is Callaway marketing.

Cleveland putters imo are superior to odyssey but they don’t market them at all.

No they don’t. Scotty does not even come close to the sales of odyssey. It’s oceans apart.. odyssey is the undisputed putter king. 

Cleveland makes a solid product. I am not sure it is a better over all product than odyssey but it really doesn’t matter. They make a good product.

Heres what pisses me off about scotty. The majority of golfers that i encounter on the course, with scottys, act superior. Most of that group is gonna 3 putt outside 10’ every time. Its amazing to me how many times ive had some one with a scotty say something like, “you putt really good, imagine how great you could be with a newport” or “you should upgrade to a scotty”, etc. I just smile and take it and dont argue, im gaming a SeeMore PRP M7X. Thats what pisses me off. Rant over 🤣

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

I've learned that I putt much more effectively when the alignment aid is "behind" the top line rather than on the top line.  When the line/dot/whatever is on the top line and literally "touches" the golf ball I focus too much on that point of connection to the point I'm trying to hit "at" the ball whereas when the alignment aid is behind the top line I make a much, much better stroke.

Yeah, putters are personal...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I say this about anything in golf when it comes to equipment.  Do not invest in "X" Club if you aren't going to A: Invest in "X" amount of time or B: "X" amount in lessons learning how to use it properly. 

Your equipment should inspire and give you confidence to perform your best when using it. If you bought only for the status you think it provides then you're just fool... 

Scotty.jpg

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Gaming: Woods: Cobra Radspeed XB Driver, 3W, 5W, Cobra KING Forged TEC 4-PW, Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 48*/10* F Grind, 54*/12* D Grind, 60*/12* D Grind, Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting note. I pulled the 15g weights from my x5 because I wanted a 10g in the toe and 15g in the heal, and thought all black looked cooler. Anyway the thing I worries about was the replacement weights being off. They weren’t. But the two 15g Scotty weights were actually 14. 

Driver -  :titelist-small: TSi2 10* - Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

Fairway -  :titelist-small: TSi3 15* Mitsubishi Tensei White

Irons -  :cobra-small: Speed zone 4/5/6/7/8/9/P with KBS v tour steel stiff shafts

Wedges -   :taylormade-small: 48/54/58 - Tour V wedge shafts 

Putter -  :scotty-small: 2021 Phantom X 5 - 34" w/ superstroke flatso 1.0

Ball -  :titelist-small: Prov 1 optic yellow

Bag - :titleist-small: Players 4 plus stand bag - lagoon/black/charcoal

5 hours ago, scratchnurse said:

Interesting note. I pulled the 15g weights from my x5 because I wanted a 10g in the toe and 15g in the heal, and thought all black looked cooler. Anyway the thing I worries about was the replacement weights being off. They weren’t. But the two 15g Scotty weights were actually 14

Hilarious. 😃

Meticulously crafted from the finest materials, every Scotty Cameron putter is a work of art designed to perform at the highest level.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

On 3/24/2022 at 6:35 PM, Tyler86 said:

Heres what pisses me off about scotty. The majority of golfers that i encounter on the course, with scottys, act superior. Most of that group is gonna 3 putt outside 10’ every time. Its amazing to me how many times ive had some one with a scotty say something like, “you putt really good, imagine how great you could be with a newport” or “you should upgrade to a scotty”, etc. I just smile and take it and dont argue, im gaming a SeeMore PRP M7X. Thats what pisses me off. Rant over 🤣

I play golf with A LOT of different people due to my job. I have litterally NEVER heard someone say that.  And 3 putts from 10 feet have nothing to do with the putter…unless it is I’ll fit to your Stroke.

Sounds like to me you have a personal issue with SC putters, which is your right   But state thst instead of making up statements  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

12 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I play golf with A LOT of different people due to my job. I have litterally NEVER heard someone say that.  And 3 putts from 10 feet have nothing to do with the putter…unless it is I’ll fit to your Stroke.

Sounds like to me you have a personal issue with SC putters, which is your right   But state thst instead of making up statements  

Clearly my post doest read as intended. I have no issue with SC at all. Putt with what works for you. Of course 3 putts from 10’ is not the putter. It was more a comment about the arrogance of the player. I play with about 100 strangers a year and i made up ZERO statements about my encounters with SC owners here in the Twin Cities. 

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

9 hours ago, Tyler86 said:

Clearly my post doest read as intended. I have no issue with SC at all. Putt with what works for you. Of course 3 putts from 10’ is not the putter. It was more a comment about the arrogance of the player. I play with about 100 strangers a year and i made up ZERO statements about my encounters with SC owners here in the Twin Cities. 

Must be a twin cities problem because I play a lot of golf in the DC area and 99% of my rounds are with strangers and I’ve never had any experience with the arrogance of players. I play a lot of the higher costs courses in the area so I come across all kinds of people and backgrounds. I’ve also spent time at several of the top private courses in the area and haven’t seen that attitude either. 

On 4/9/2022 at 8:09 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

... I have played with multiple thousands of strangers since I play about 250 rounds a year and I too have never heard anything like that. Golfers by and large very rarely comment on equipment unless I ask. I have asked some about their putter choice through the years and have certainly had some proclaim their love for their Camerons but again only if I asked and nobody has ever recommended I change or upgrade to a Cameron. Never. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

43 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have played with multiple thousands of strangers since I play about 250 rounds a year and I too have never heard anything like that. Golfers by and large very rarely comment on equipment unless I ask. I have asked some about their putter choice through the years and have certainly had some proclaim their love for their Camerons but again only if I asked and nobody has ever recommended I change or upgrade to a Cameron. Never. 

Exactly.  And I also play with a fair amount of equipment junkies.  About the only comment I hear or get asked is “what new toy do you have in your bag now?” 😬

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have to admit that I like Scotty's.  I am only on my 2nd Scotty in 15 years.  I have bought and tried Pings and Calloways, but always go back to my Scotty.

I agree that other manufacturers have made similar putters (and they are usually cheaper) but the sound and feel of the Scotty just work for me.  That being said, I have never customized my Scotty or changed weights after getting fitted.  I just change the grip every so often.

I actually never get asked about what putter I am playing unless my putter gets hot in a round and the guys in my group ask which Scotty I am using, etc.  I have never had guys call me out for using a Scotty, unless it was a joke at my expense (which happens often but usually with other parts of my game).

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

A lot of the SC custom putters are similar in the Newport style which are similar to the putter that started it all.  The Ping Anser.  Every manufacturer of putters has copied it.  Most touring pros get paid to play clubs except to when it comes to their driver and putter.  Not all have exclusive contracts for those.  Those are of their choosing.  Even though a lot of Scotty putters are being played on tour does not mean they are getting paid to play them.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Unlike drivers, irons and wedges, putters are rather unique in the golfer-club relationship. I think testers using different putters would have a difficult time using different designs and shaft models

Titleist TS 3 with Fuji Ventus R shaft

Epic Flash 3 & 5 woods

Cally Big Berta 2019 4 hybrid

Cally Apex 2019 5-PW

Cally 48*

Honma TW4 56*

Titleist Volker Raw wedge 60*

Scotty Cameron X5 putter

53 minutes ago, ChuckZ said:

A lot of the SC custom putters are similar in the Newport style which are similar to the putter that started it all.  The Ping Anser.  Every manufacturer of putters has copied it.  Most touring pros get paid to play clubs except to when it comes to their driver and putter.  Not all have exclusive contracts for those.  Those are of their choosing.  Even though a lot of Scotty putters are being played on tour does not mean they are getting paid to play them.  

Well the way the contracts have gone lately this is somewhat true. Lots of the pay to play has gone by the wayside. It’s why you see brands say how many drivers or other clubs are played by non contract players. TaylorMade paid a significant amount of money per tournament for playing their driver.

Now it really depends on the deal that the player signs. So it’s not a hard and fast rule but driver and putter pay good money for those on a pay to play.  But they all get free equipment and Scotty has a tour van presence. 

19 minutes ago, Agwinup said:

One word, Quintic. Until MGS uses this system to really evaluate putters, it's a guessing game at best. 

Find yourself a Quintic system and go roll every putter you can find. 

Quintic isn't readily available to most people.    While the MGS most wanted putter test will try to fit the tester to a putter if multiple options are provided the intent of the test is to find the putter that will work best for the largest percentage of players that pick their putters OTR and don't get fit.  All of their results recommend that the player gets fit for whatever club they put in the bag. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG