Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PW to GW gap question

Mpettus19

I recently picked up a set of Srixon ZX5 irons to replace my Mizuno JPX 919 Forged iron set.  The PW on the Srixon’s is 2 degrees stronger than the previous Mizuno’s making close to a 25 yard gap between the 44* PW and my 50* CBX Zipcore Gap Wedge.  Need help determining if it makes more sense to bend the PW weaker or bend the gap wedge strong to 48*.  Thanks in advance 

Edited by Mpettus19

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 (Veylix Alpina 673)

Callaway Mavrik 3W

Cobra F9 Speedback 3H

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52,56,60

Taylormade Ardmore 3 Black Copper

Snell MTB-X

• Mpettus19 changed the title to PW to GW gap question
1 hour ago, Mpettus19 said:

I recently picked up a set of Srixon ZX5 irons to replace my Mizuno JPX 919 Forged iron set.  The PW on the Srixon’s is 2 degrees stronger than the previous Mizuno’s making close to a 25 yard gap between the 44* PW and my 50* CBX Zipcore Gap Wedge.  Need help determining if it makes more sense to bend the PW weaker or bend the gap wedge strong to 48*.  Thanks in advance 

Depends on how you intend to use them and how that flows with the rest of your set. Is 25 yards the actual measured difference or is that a guess? I only ask because simply going by loft doesn't always work out the way you might expect based on varying club designs. You should also consider how adjusting the lofts will affect bounce and offset (more loft = more bounce/less offset, less loft = less bounce/more offset). The differences will be relatively miniscule, but something to consider. You also have the option of bending each club just 1 degree to achieve the desired result. 

It really doesn't matter much IMO which club you make the adjustment to; just know you'll likely be introducing another issue elsewhere. However, if you only use the next wedge down (SW for example) for partial shots, you might be safer bending the GW only.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

37 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Depends on how you intend to use them and how that flows with the rest of your set. Is 25 yards the actual measured difference or is that a guess? I only ask because simply going by loft doesn't always work out the way you might expect based on varying club designs. You should also consider how adjusting the lofts will affect bounce and offset (more loft = more bounce/less offset, less loft = less bounce/more offset). The differences will be relatively miniscule, but something to consider. You also have the option of bending each club just 1 degree to achieve the desired result. 

It really doesn't matter much IMO which club you make the adjustment to; just know you'll likely be introducing another issue elsewhere. However, if you only use the next wedge down (SW for example) for partial shots, you might be safer bending the GW only.

Actual measurement at my local simulator, GW carries 105, PW now carrying 131… thanks I like the idea of bending both a degree, interested to see the results 

Callaway Mavrik 3W

Cobra F9 Speedback 3H

Snell MTB-X

On 1/9/2022 at 5:47 PM, Mpettus19 said:

I recently picked up a set of Srixon ZX5 irons to replace my Mizuno JPX 919 Forged iron set

Was there no AW that came with the set of irons, which I would assume would have been 48ish? If the entire set is more aggressively lofted, is there no possibility to shed club, a wood, or hybrid at the top, to make room for another wedge.  This is precisely the reason I bought a set more aggressively lofted than my old one.  Just a thought!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

41 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

Was there no AW that came with the set of irons, which I would assume would have been 48ish? If the entire set is more aggressively lofted, is there no possibility to shed club, a wood, or hybrid at the top, to make room for another wedge.  This is precisely the reason I bought a set more aggressively lofted than my old one.  Just a thought!

The ZX5 AW is 50*.  The OP went with 50* specialty wedge instead of set wedge.  Specialty wedges often perform very differently than the same lofted set wedge.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The ZX5 AW is 50*.  The OP went with 50* specialty wedge instead of set wedge.  Specialty wedges often perform very differently than the same lofted set wedge.

Yeah I looked that up after posting.  I was surprised.   I'm not sure, unless you fill that in and dump 60 degree, depending on how much use that or the 56 actually get, tough spot.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

You can plug the gap or learn a 3/4 smooth PW. Maybe choke down an inch. That should fill the gap perfectly. 

it’s something I think every player should know is the gapping of full 3/4 and 1/4 PW and Gap wedge as well as choking down with the same wedges. Usually find you don’t need the exact yard club often and we as amateurs are not anywhere near good to 100% swinging a wedge for accuracy. 

"C'mon be good"

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 12:50 PM, cnosil said:

Problem I have is I’m a lefty and Srixon doesn’t make the AW left handed 

Callaway Mavrik 3W

Cobra F9 Speedback 3H

Snell MTB-X

4 hours ago, Mpettus19 said:

Problem I have is I’m a lefty and Srixon doesn’t make the AW left handed 

The statement still applies;  it just wasn't available to you.   Set wedges generally perform like the irons and have less spin.   Specialty wedges generally spin more and launch higher therefore you lose distance.   This is why I don't really look at club lofts;  you need to figure out the lofts that hit the ball the distances you need.   Professional fitters when determining gapping would typically start with the longest club and the shortest club in your bag and then adjust the clubs in between to have the right distance gaps.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

The statement still applies;  it just wasn't available to you.   Set wedges generally perform like the irons and have less spin.   Specialty wedges generally spin more and launch higher therefore you lose distance.   This is why I don't really look at club lofts;  you need to figure out the lofts that hit the ball the distances you need.   Professional fitters when determining gapping would typically start with the longest club and the shortest club in your bag and then adjust the clubs in between to have the right distance gaps.  

Not learning this lesson sooner is why I have 3-4 slightly used wedges in each loft sitting in the garage . 

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

12 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Not learning this lesson sooner is why I have 3-4 slightly used wedges in various lofts sitting in the garage .

I have a bunch with the same loft, just different bounces.  We all do crazy things. 

My pitching wedge also is 43 degrees.  I hit it 10 yards shorter than my 9 iron so it is ideal.  My gap wedge that came with my set is 48 degrees.  It is about 15 years shorter than my pitching wedge.  My sand wedge (56 degrees) is about 35-40 yards shorter than my gap wedge - way too big a gap.  So, I bought a 52 degree wedge to fit in the gap.  

I am a senior and no longer use a 3 wood, only a five wood.  My irons start with 6 iron and then I have 21 and 25 degree hybrids.  Gaps pretty well to my 5 wood.

IMHO, the short clubs need better gapping than do the longer ones.  Drop a long club and add another wedge IMHO.

Note that I really love my 52 degree wedge.  In addition to gapping, I use it for longer bunker shots, do a lot of chipping with it and like it for partial wedges.  

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x