GolfSpy_X

The MyGolfSpy Hot List?

Our Sponsors

As you can imagine, finding a tester that matches everyone in the general population can be difficult. That said...if we do make a run at the Hot List, it would mean a big increase to the number of testers. So if it happens, I'll make sure to find somebody with similar dimensions. Last year we did have a couple of testers (CJ & Brian) that are probably close to 6'4".

Being a rookie to the forum I could only speak from the experiences I've had....ya know....the major print media. I just found them to be lacking when trying to determine what applied to me. Selfish....yep. Sure didn't mean to offend. Guys my size just seem to have different issues....we don't buy off the rack....clothes or clubs. Looking forward to learning from all here. Thanks for the reply......

I would really love to see all the new stuff tested. I read almost exclusively the Ultimate Reviews done here. I love the information and feel it is reliable. Will I use it to buy new clubs.......I will at least consider what is said as I demo, investigate many sources, and ultimately test the equipment with a fitter.

I would really like to see a chart that shows side by side comparisons of Ultimate Reviews in each category ie. Drivers, fairway metals.....etc,

You guys do such a wonderful job on this site........whatever you dicide to do I know it will be great!!!!

I would love it. I loved the Ultimate Adjustable Driver Review, and the one you did on irons was great also. These are the reason that I actually joined this forum.

But it can't be like the Hot List. I used to love them but recently, I just look at the pictures. Every club on the HL "the ball explodes off the face" or "the longest, most forgiving, workable driver I ever hit.

Real numbers and raw data like availible in the Ultimate Reviews are awesome. Golf Magazine did a ball test a few years ago that was a blind test. Something like that would be cool.

Where and when? Sounds like the Ultimate Vacation. (But the wife would not like it.) :P

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I have one small, simple suggestion that might make this idea more palatable to those who don't seem to care for it: change the name.

"If you want to know who spent a boat load of cash on advertising, read Golf Digest's Hot List. If you want to know what the best clubs of the year are, read MyGolfSpy's Performance List."

Not sure that's the best name, but you get the idea.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

The idea I have maybe not possible, but might be so I will take a shot.

Testers, a large group testing a category a day...let's think a little outside the box. Open this up to MGS members, hold it a a semi central location, and make it a MGS Fan Weekend. We could get as many people here and your testing in a place, do a meet and greet, and get everyone involved into the testing process. I am going to venture, you don't have to pay people to test like that, and you get a wide range of body types and abilities and ages.

Just an idea.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

I back this idea 100%. I would love to see a hot list based on performance only and not on advertising dollars. It would benefit a lot of golfers. We can argue about whether how the testers are the same size or have the same swing type, etc. The list goes on and on. However, I'm sure a high percentage of you, if not all of you, at one point have read reviews of clubs before making a purchase. I don't see the difference. I'm all for people spending their money where it should be spent and rewarding true innovation and performance. Like a large spectrum of products out there, performance is based on the end user and can vary greatly, and golf clubs are no exception to this. However, if there are consumers who want this information, why don't we give them a list that includes quality brands and clubs that choose not to spend big advertising money in a specific magazine. I see no down side in this. If you choose that the "hot list" isn't enough for you to base your next purchase on, that's fine. You're likely one of the few people who research products you buy (golf or otherwise) and make the best choice you can based on the information you gathered. Let's face it, the majority of the golf population out there does not do that. If they are reading a hot list and base their next purchase solely on that, why don't we give them one that isn't filled with golf marketing propaganda?

Do it in Vegas, my wife can go see Celine Dion and I can play with golf clubs. :D

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Should MyGolfSpy do our own version of the "Hot List"? {Take them head-on} .... Thinks it's about time???

Let us know your opinions...we are debating it right now.

* (any and all opinions and ideas are welcome)

Do you REALLY want to emulate Golf Digest? Given the amount of raw data you will be forced to deal with, is this a project that MGS can present in the manner we are accustomed? As with the GD "Hot List," how long before it is obsolete? If you do choose to go down this road please remember we love the QUALITY of MGS information, not the quantity.

Isn't this sort of already in place?

If you click on the reviews on the main page, they are sorted by rating in the different categories.

Amen, I was thinking the same thing, and that its done pretty well. Real golfers hitting stock gear give you and Idea of how well a product works for a regular golfers. Then you can go get fit. Not Dustin J hitting "The New" 3 wood 400yrds or Mr. Big Bucks paying to be on a list. How come 7 out of 10 clubs on a "Hot List" always say "among the top pick of our testers" Hmmm! Keep doing what your doing it is great, of course this is my opinion.

Sacrifice Or Regret...You Choose!

Love this Idea. the MGS Hot List would be predicated strictly on the performance of the club. I agree looks and feel should be left out as these are perosnal attributes (specific to the golfer) as for the performance of the club, regardless of the stock shafts etc the number don't lie if everyone is hitting the same head and getting the same performance as far as the numbers of accuracy, distance and such. not sure if GD would oppose or has some kind of restriction but a side by side comparison in some kind of media format would be an awesome iudea as well.

GD doesn't give the detail just star ratings and such with some player comments. if there is a hot list it shoul dbe compared to other clubs and there performance. that how a gold to bronze rating should be given....at least fo rthis guy;)

The fact that the Hotlist even considers "demand" as a part of their ratings is probably the most STUPID thing EVER.... but then again, it's the "Hot" list

Maybe we should call it "MGS takes on the Hotlist with our Performance List" or the likes... calling a product "Hot" holds no meaning.

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

It would be really good to have an unbiased list. People will flock to this website when the word gets out, and then... Ja Ja Ja (evil laugh) they will have to try to 1up you with something else.

If it's an honest test the results would be worth a good look/see.

I think the only hope of getting a fair test would be machine testing. You would need something like the Iron Byron that is adjustable to the different swing types and programmable to strike with the sweet, and also reasonably common misses. Obviously a very expensive equipment investment and would probably be fairly expensive to conduct. I doubt MGS has the resources for such an investment or would want to do so unless they could find other users for the machine.

I don't much mind human testers but regardless of how honest the testers and how fair the test, there is just too much uncertainty in every stroke. That's why Golf is so much fun. It's also why I made up my own mind about what works for me and which clubs I like most, all by direct use over a few months and sometimes years. Clearly unscientific but only intended to satisfy one user.

Shambles

I think the current MGS system of test lends itself to a fair and just, unbiased rating that would work well, and become the new standard for "The Hot List" that everyone actually might pay attention to.

Just the simple fact that you may sway the uninformed, follow the trend, believe the current hot list people, toward the real facts and companies they might not know even existed. Also, stressing the fact to be fitted, will result in the average player enjoying the game more and indirectly grow the game.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

Should MyGolfSpy do our own version of the "Hot List"? {Take them head-on} .... Thinks it's about time???

Let us know your opinions...we are debating it right now.

* (any and all opinions and ideas are welcome)

YES YES AND YES! but I would need to be part of the testing crew in NY. lol

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I would love to have some performance data that would compare all the clubs on the "Hot List" to each other, as well as some not as well known brands. Lets take the "Buzz Factor" out of the ratings, and judge clubs based purely on performance.

Excellent idea. Golf magazine used to do this, with explanations why things possibly were the way they were. Personally, I would like the Acer's, TWGT's, DTG's, Alpha's, Krank's, etc. included, as well.

I think the current MGS system of test lends itself to a fair and just, unbiased rating that would work well, and become the new standard for "The Hot List" that everyone actually might pay attention to.

Just the simple fact that you may sway the uninformed, follow the trend, believe the current hot list people, toward the real facts and companies they might not know even existed. Also, stressing the fact to be fitted, will result in the average player enjoying the game more and indirectly grow the game.

Can this be "Quote of the Year"?