Pro's & con's of different number of dividers

DStar

I like a 14 way with full length dividers for use on a cart and have a 6 way for walking or push cart.

• Like 2

WITB:

Driver - Callaway BB Alpha 9* Kuro Kage 50g. Reg. Shaft - 45"

3 Wood - Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Pro 14.5* Project X 5.5

5 Wood - Callaway XR 19* Project X 5.5

3 - 5 Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrids 18*, 22*, & 25* w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft

6 - PW - Callaway Apex w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft - Standard length & lofts 

GW, SW & LW - Hogan TK - 49*, 54* & 58* - KBS fst - Wedge flex

Putter - Ping - Mid Ketsch Heavy - 33"

51 minutes ago, labillyboy said:

6 way staff bag always... plenty of room for all your clubs and few extra for practice days.

Works great when riding or on a pull cart.  Normally a little lighter than a 14 way bag, plus love classic look of a Staff Bag. Much easier to get the clubs in and out of the bag as well.  Whenever I buy a new set of irons, I buy a new matching staff bag. The bags always last as long as the irons. 

8 minutes ago, oldguy819 said:

I own a Titliest cart bag with 15 holes with one being oversize for the putter.. I have 14 clubs and a ball retriever. There's a umbrella holder on the outside.  Laugh all you want about the ball retriever but I play premium balls and if I can recover it from within reach of shore....   I will.  Until I'm under contract with Titliest for a lifetime supply of Left Dash's, I'm fishing for them. 😏

53 minutes ago, labillyboy said:

6 way staff bag always... plenty of room for all your clubs and few extra for practice days.

Works great when riding or on a pull cart.  Normally a little lighter than a 14 way bag, plus love classic look of a Staff Bag. Much easier to get the clubs in and out of the bag as well.  Whenever I buy a new set of irons, I buy a new matching staff bag. The bags always last as long as the irons. 

I agree on having room for a few extra clubs (for experimenting on the range or course). Those who complain about grips getting tangled up just need to shake the bag and they all go to the bottom and come out smoothly.

• Like 2

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

I have an OGIO, which has 15.  Last Summer I switched to JumboMax XL Grips.  They were great, but too large for my bag.  I considered removing the felt part of the dividers, figured why ruin a good bag.  I brought one of clubs to the local pro-shop and tried it on every bag in the shop.  The OGIO was the only on with 14 or more that fit.  So, I bought that one, and managed to sell my old one to a friend.

• Like 2

Ranny

I like a stand bag but use it as a cart bag.Does new 14 way hybrid bags allow clubs to be placed in a cart bag order or do you have to rearrange clubs when using a cart with bottom pouch out on cart ?

• Like 2

love playing golf ,live in The villages area,Fl.

I have a 14 and have had several of them in the past. The key to me is to make sure that the top is large enough. Sun Mountain seems to always have plenty of room. My Callaway a little less - and in the past, I had a few others that were not big enough, causing it to be a pain to pull clubs out.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

1 hour ago, Les L said:

If anyone is interested I have a brand new (still in the shipping box) red, white and blue Bag Boy Revolver XP for sale.

It's $225.00 plus shipping. The box says it weighs 5.3kg (11 lbs.)

Feel free to check out our Buy and Sell section and post this there. 

• Like 3

⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Strictly a matter of preference.  I have Titleist Cart 14, Titleist Lightweight carry, and two Titleist Tour Midsize Bags.  Really does not matter to me.  They all have a purpose and serve me well.   

• Like 2

Titleist

DRIVER - TSi3 11.50* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S   

FAIRWAY - TSI2 15.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 18.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 21.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-W - True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGES - VOKEY SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94gm R300,  SM7 - 58.12D N.S. PRO 950GH R300       

***  GolfPride MC+4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges) 

PUTTER -  + 2022 PING PLD  - 35" Anser Milled Black Matte   * Ping Midsize Grip

++  2020 CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM  - 35" Newport 2   *GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST - Prov1 

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST - Midsize Tour Bag Black/Black/Red and Black Cart 14 

GOLF GLOVE - FOOTJOY - StaSof, Hyper Flex, StaCooler, Rain Glove

SHOES - FOOTJOY - Premieres, Traditions, Tradition MyJoys, Pro/SLs, Flex, Flex XP, DryJoy Tour MyJoys, Icon MyJoys, Rain Boots. 

APPAREL - FOOTJOY 

RANGEFINDER -  BUSHNELL - Pro XE

I have the Ping Pioneer which, I believe was the MGS best cart bag winner. I like the 14 divider with putter well. It keeps clubs from getting stuck and with my bag there’s a lot of separation making it easy to remove or put back the club. Hides the cart strap and more than ample storage pockets. 

• Like 2

I wish Ogio would bring back their Silencer bag.  I hate bag chatter both due to the sound and the damage it does to the clubs.  The other option is the Bennington Quiet Organizer.

• Like 2

a. Iron specs (flex, length/lie). Callaway Apex Smoke 4-AW 1" long 3* upright Regular graphite shafts

b. Driver specs (loft/flex). Titleist TiS1 Senior Flex

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed). Right handed

d. Where You Live Jefferson, GA

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score. 18.6 index

f. Putter - Too many to list! But all are fitted with FlatCat grip.

7 hours ago, DStar said:

I'm looking to buy a new cart bag and lots seem to be 14 way dividers yet most tour bags are 6 way. 

My current Titleist bag is 14 way and my carry bag is an old 8 way Mizuno. No real problems with either but was wondering what are the advantages & disadvantages of both? 

I guess 14 way is easier to put the clubs back in the right hole..

How many have you got and what's good/bad about it? 

Give me a good 14 full dividers.  I like them to be in the same place all the time it speeds things up for me.  I will never be an iron head cover guy but the 14 divider bag keeps the dings and dents to a minimum from bag chatter.  They have more storage spaces and tend to last longer too.  

Cons: they are heavier and not great for walking.  Oversized grips can still get hung up at times.  

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 * Accra Tour Z TZ6 55 M3 pure 

Fairways: Callaway Maverick 15*  Accra FX 2.0-100F M3 pure  

Hybrid: Callaway Maverick 4&5 Hybrids Accra FX 2.0-100H60 M3 pure  

Irons:  PXG Gen 3 0311 P 6-P  Fujikura Pro 75 pure

Wedges: Renegar RxF  50*,54* & 58*

Chipper: Cleveland Smart Sole C 46*  Great for just off the greens in the rough 

Putter: Bettinardi SS 28 34" with100g counter weight

Ball: Pro V1, Left Dot if I can get them

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I have the Ping Pioneer 15 Divider Cart Bag. Lots of room with plenty of pockets, light weight, and I highly recommend. I sent the cover from the front pocket to Ping and they embroidered Mr. Ping and my initials on it. Great company. By the way, parts of the bag are actually manufactured at the Ping Phoenix factory and assembled there. I saw that on my factory tour.

• Like 2

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter/1996 Original Odyssey (not Callaway) Dual Force Rossie Blade

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

I much prefer my 14 divider plus large putter well, and I’ve never used a 3, 5 or 6 slot bag. How do I know if I haven’t owned one? Because I pull and return clubs to those bags for other players from time to time, and like noted above grip tangle is an unnecessary PITA to me. YMMV

I’m old enough to remember tubes, grew up with them before 14-15 divider bags were available. Tubes haven’t been necessary for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

I have a Ping Pioneer, which has 14 individual, full-length dividers, and a putter well. The extra slot allows me to carry an extra wedge or fairway wood when not playing in tournaments. I don't think I could go back to a bag that wasn't divided into 14 full-length slots. 

Edited by NovaScotiaGolfer
  • Like 2

I don't use cart bags, as I walk 99% of the time. However, I've tried "hybrid" bags with 14 slots, and they're not great, the grip (midsize) catches the fabric often, the space in which you have to insert the club back is rather small (obviously we don't have bags with a 15 or 25" opening diameter).

I've had bags with 5 slots, now 4, and they end up being much more practical, sure the clubs can get mixed a bit but you end up have a larger space, even if shared, and therefore clubs go in and out easier.

I doubt the added 1" or less diameter in cart bags change things that much. That's probably the reason why tour bags have a limited amount of dividers : less catch!

Edited by Franc38
  • Like 2

Aim small... pray to miss small

14-way and be sure it has true full-length dividers that go all the way to the bottom.  Had one a few years back and the dividers stopped about an inch short of the bottom, which led to all my grips wearing quickly at the bottom.  I think most new bags have addressed this issue, but always good to confirm. If you’ve never had a Sun Mountain, their C-130 is tough to beat. 

• Like 2

I used to hate searching for clubs, the noise of irons clacking, realizing too late I lost a club.

Then I bought this bad from nevrlooz.com which solved all those problems.

The only downside is that the guys at the bag drop don't know how to properly secure the bag to the cart.

nevrlooz.png.bd61f1fe41be4d1afc60997665199e81.png

nevrlooz-bag.png

• Like 3
  • Driver: Ping G425 MAX 10.5
  • Irons: Ping G425
  • Wedges: Cleveland ZipCore
  • Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne

clubs.png.fc65ade1e9dc276f4e07e9a6e596c684.png

Titleist 15 way cart bag is the only way for me.  Allows me to keep my Sklz Gold Flex in the bag.  Looking to get a new Titleist Cart 15 as this one is showing wear and a couple tears after seven years.  Has worked fine for me with either my Clicgear Model 3.5 push cart or riding carts.  Club pull out fine.  I like the organized look and ease of grabbing the club I want with a glance.

On a sort of related note, does anyone flip their clubs in a 14 or 15 way bag before travel and checking the bag on an airplane?  My coach (6 way devotee) flips his irons upside down in his bag before putting everything in his travel bag.   I haven't done that and am not sure how well that works with 14 or 15 way bags.  I've never had damage with un-flipped clubs in a Club Glove travel bag with a Stiff Arm and some additional bubble wrap.

• Like 2

Love my 14 way bag that I can put in my push cart,  but makes it tough to use my Christmas present :

7574E3E0-D4D5-41C8-9010-8678A6FA3E44.jpeg.8891d7b1cc4d449e9d0bc85b847a7e14.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour