TESTERS WANTED! ×

Music on the practice range

rbgntx

The nearby where I do most of my practice and playing has new ownership.  They have added lights to the range, done a major upgrade on the clubhouse and several much needed repairs and upgrades to the course.  One of the things they've added is a sound system on the practice range.  They play a variety of music.  The one song that seems to work into the rotation frequently is Mumford & Sons "I really f---ed it up this time".  On one hand it might seem inappropriate to have the f word blasting out on a public speaker on the other it might fit the attitude of some golfers frustrated on the range with their practice.  I could see it fitting on somebody's play list coming up 18 after a particularly bad round.

Callaway Driver, 4 and 7 fairways.  Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-LW.  A friend told me my swing is as smooth as Tennessee Whiskey.  If so, I often think it may have come out of the barrel to soon.

The range I frequent always has music playing. They also have mini golf, batting cages, par 3 course combined with foot golf.

The music becomes white noise and rarely do I even notice it’s on.

Having a curse word in a song that comes on periodically isn’t an issue imo. You can hardly go anywhere these days or watch tv without some vulgar language being used. 

Wouldn’t bother me one bit and isn’t even something that would get my briefs in a bundle compared to other stuff on the range 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 1/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The range I frequent always has music playing. They also have mini golf, batting cages, par 3 course combined with foot golf.

The music becomes white noise and rarely do I even notice it’s on.

Having a curse word in a song that comes on periodically isn’t an issue imo. You can hardly go anywhere these days or watch tv without some vulgar language being used. 

Wouldn’t bother me one bit and isn’t even something that would get my briefs in a bundle compared to other stuff on the range 

Agreed. Then again, I get bugged by a lot of other stuff on the range that many have no issues with. E.g, chipping on the putting green when you're standing within 5 ft of the "no chipping" sign, putting at multiple holes at once, leaving your cart in the middle of the path, etc. 

I think we all have our quirks and it's just about deciding what you can and can't live with...but seriously, pull the golf cart to one side or the other. Doesn't need to be parked dead center in the middle. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

wouldn't bother me any.  I hear enough guys complaining/cussing about their lousy swings so music would probably be an upgrade.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

For myself neither the music nor the f-bomb would be much of an issue, but I do take issue with the song selection as a matter of good business. Many people in the world are still put off by vulgar language and you could ultimately lose business over such a simple thing which is silly. The issue is compounded if children are present.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I’d go to another range because I don’t want music playing, and if they have songs playing that have curse words in them, I can’t take my kids there… I get trying to appeal to a younger crowd, but no thanks!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 1/10/2022 at 12:02 PM, Riverboat said:

I would be finding a new range. I am way too easily distracted to have music blasting, whether on the course or the range. 

Not sure why any place would do this. Those who want music can easily listen to their own with ear buds. It's far more difficult for those who want quiet to block out music blasting from a sound system. 

+1.  Count me amongst the "please use earbuds if you want music while golfing" group.  Blaring music from carts seems to be a new thing/fad at courses and ranges. A few weeks ago, we had a group following us that would roll right up to the tee box with the music playing.  We asked them to be courteous and not do so, and they did... more so by not rolling up right behind us (another no, no). But we routinely see/hear groups around us doing the pump up da volume thing.  I'm guessing they may also be the drivers in the car near you who think everyone at the intersection wants to hear their tunes. I'm a relic and old school I know, but I find it really interesting how some folks think everyone will enjoy their music, and particularly on a golf course. I have now seen some signage at courses that prohibit playing music... now that's music to my ears 👍.

The case you highlight is the range itself providing the tunes.  Perhaps they think it draws patrons...and maybe it does?  Ultimately, it is their decision/right to do so and users will need to decide whether it is acceptable or not.  I'd likely be shopping for a new range.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)